Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,649 members, 7,809,453 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:55 AM

Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? (20869 Views)

What Make Poor Nigerians Shout Against Buhari's Change / Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With / Nigerians Shout Down Doyin Okupe With Chants Of APC! APC!! APC!!! (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Eziachi: 2:50pm On May 29, 2011
This morning, while watching a live feed from Nigerian TV, ChannelsTV, I had to reach for my remote control twice to turn down the volume of my TV set, because it was like watching a shouting match between the two Guests of the programme.
Don't even talk about their accompanied over the top wild gestures too. On few occassions, I witnessed a slammed fist on the table, a pound hit on the chest with the attached microphone making it sound even very thunderous, the swinging of hands in the air.

Its get to a point it become embarrassing  to watch.
Where did this vocal behaviour shouting instead of speaking comes from? It wasn't like this before. I grew up listening to Awolowo, Azikiwe, Mbadiwe, Ikemba, Akintola, Balewa and many others, they speak not just eloquently with a very good understandable accent, but very mild and non aggresive too.
Was it from years of military aggression?
Do you know? because I don't.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Pukkah: 3:14pm On May 29, 2011
You are right. I think the unregulated noise pollution (from generators, religious houses,bus stops, event centres,markets, etc) has also contributed to it. People generally have to shout to be heard and it has become a bad habit.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Eziachi: 3:54pm On May 29, 2011
Pukkah:

You are right. I think the unregulated noise pollution (from generators, religious houses,bus stops, event centres,markets, etc) has also contributed to it. People generally have to shout to be heard and it has become a bad habit.
Its another angle to look at. Even the so called educated are the worse offenders.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by ziga: 4:07pm On May 29, 2011
Nigerians generally have become very angry and arrogant!!!

When you generate your own electricity, water, create your own road paths to get to work, you believe you are the king of the world, and anybody who tries to challenge you doesn't know what he is talking about.

So, when you have 150 million kings living together, that is what you get. A shouting battle.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Beaf: 4:35pm On May 29, 2011
It is due to the low self esteem caused by too many years of being beaten, frog jumped and ra'ped by armed fools like IBB, Abacha, Buhari and so on. These people need to be shot.
Speaking in a loud voice and high aggression are the surest signs of self esteem issues. These traits are most common in jails the World over (and that is scientifically proven).

The average Nigerian is psychologically destroyed and 90% have one or more unfortunate mental problems.
If you doubt what I say, cross the border at Seme, drive to Cotonou, talk with the nearest mechanic; compare his intellectual output to that of the average Nigerian graduate. . . Case closed.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Tsiya(m): 5:00pm On May 29, 2011
This thing baffles me seriously. What is even more baffling is that the urban elites and the religious ones are the loudest. The villagers, at least the ones I know, are mostly very quite and talk gently and slower. Nigerian preachers are the worst; they are the loudest of all Nigerians.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by buzugee(m): 5:00pm On May 29, 2011
too much testosterone  grin thats from eating ofe ji, ofe nsala, akpu, ofe onugbu, bokoto, shaki, abodi, tuwo shainkafa, shayi

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by alex101(m): 5:06pm On May 29, 2011
Hahahahaha!!! grin grin grin Blame it on the "one-nigeria" syndrome cheesy A country where the people are confused as to what they really want,,,,today most will say SPLIT,SPLIT,SPLIT! Tomorrow the say DON'T SPLIT, DON'T SPLIT, WE NEED EACH OTHER grin

I remember a nigerian lady that lost her job as a call centre rep. because the customers of this particular bank in Atlanta are always scared due to her loud voice,,,even while on the phone. The bank had to let her go. Now she works at the car auction centre where loud and horrible voices are mostly needed.
Even with the way some ethnic bigots like EKO OLE trade insults and post fake 3D pictures, you can tell the clown will be naturally loud in his real miserable life cool.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by dempeople(m): 5:08pm On May 29, 2011
buzugee:

too much testosterone  grin thats from eating ofe ji, ofe nsala, akpu, ofe onugbu, bokoto, shaki, abodi, tuwo shainkafa, shayi

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Why u forget ofe egusi of all soups? Surely, you cannot be forgiven for forgetting this soup. grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Eziachi: 5:14pm On May 29, 2011
Beaf:

It is due to the low self esteem caused by too many years of being beaten, frog jumped and ra'ped by armed fools like IBB, Abacha, Buhari and so on. These people need to be shot.
Speaking in a loud voice and high aggression are the surest signs of self esteem issues. These traits are most common in jails the World over (and that is scientifically proven).

The average Nigerian is psychologically destroyed and 90% have oer tne or more unfortunate mental problems.
If you doubt what I say, cross the border at Seme, drive to Cotonou, talk with the nearest mechanic; compare his intellectual output to that of the average Nigerian graduate. . . Case closed.
Great point- One of the guest on this progamme this morning infact nearly knocked off the hat on his head with his own aggression, waving his hands all over. They kept interrupting butting into each other and I kept saying, calm down guys, without knowing that my wife stood right behind me and she joked: "I don't think they can hear you hear you dear" I responded with a sheepish smile all because I was embarrassed.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Eziachi: 5:25pm On May 29, 2011
alex101:

Hahahahaha!!! grin grin grin Blame it on the "one-nigeria" syndrome cheesy A country where the people are confused as to what they really want,,,,today most will say SPLIT,SPLIT,SPLIT! Tomorrow the say DON'T SPLIT, DON'T SPLIT, WE NEED EACH OTHER grin

I remember a nigerian lady that lost her job as a call centre rep. because the customers of this particular bank in Atlanta are always scared due to her loud voice,,,even while on the phone. The bank had to let her go. Now she works at the car auction centre where loud and horrible voices are mostly needed.
Even with the way some ethnic bigots like EKO OLE trade insults and post fake 3D pictures, you can tell the clown will be naturally loud in his real miserable life cool.
I have a relative that use to visit us, don't dare watch a football match with him. Because your neighbours might call the police thinking, there is a domestic violence going on with the way he will analyse every move with his voice booming/shouting.
He will slam, kick anything around, including you.
Then if his team scores, God help you!
The last straw, was while travelling with my wife once on the train to London from Surrey and my relative took a phone call from home on the train.
He was shouting so much in a packed train that my wife came off the next station with embarrasment and the funny things was he couldn't see what the fuss was about. grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by henry101(m): 5:28pm On May 29, 2011
Eziachi:

Great point- One of the guest on this progamme this morning infact nearly knocked off the hat on his head with his own aggression, waving his hands all over. They kept interrupting butting into each other and I kept saying, calm down guys, without knowing that my wife stood right behind me and she joked: "I don't think they can hear you hear you dear" I responded with a sheepish smile all because I was embarrassed.

grin grin grin grin grin
My Uncle screams on the phone especially He talks to anyone from Nigeria, and I wonder why, lol,
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by henry101(m): 5:30pm On May 29, 2011
Eziachi:

I have a relative that use to visit us, don't dare watch a football match with him. Because your neighbours might call the police thinking, there is a domestic violence going on with the way he will analyse every move with his voice booming/shouting.
He will slam, kick anything around, including you.
Then if his team scores, God help you!
The last straw, was while travelling with my wife once on the train to London from Surrey and my relative took a phone call from home on the train.
He was shouting so much in a packed train that my wife came off the next station with embarrasment and the funny things was he couldn't see what the fuss was about. grin grin grin

Hahaha, Real Nigerian, j/k
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Nobody: 5:32pm On May 29, 2011
It's mainly Nigerian men and I dont understand why.

That thing is very annoying.

"Do you know who I am? Do you know who I am? You do not know who I am".

Are you God?

Like someone said, it's the arrogance and high level of aggression in Nigerian men, might be some psychological issue the science world has not yet touched upon.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by buzugee(m): 5:36pm On May 29, 2011
dem_people:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Why u forget ofe egusi of all soups? Surely, you cannot be forgiven for forgetting this soup. grin

i shall have to thrash myself mercilessly with lanyard for my atrocity and short sight in not remembering the delicate but yet exquisite delights of ofe egusi tongue grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by bkbabe97y(m): 5:40pm On May 29, 2011
The most aggressive set of people I ever ran across (probably second only to Jamaicans) are Nigerians!

Even the women are just so wild its unbelievable. Ive met more aggressive Ibo men, while Yoruba men and Hausas tend to be more passive (and I say this in all seriousness. Then again I know more Ibos, so . . . . . )

This one Benin tribe girl tho was just unbelievably aggressive it was a damn shame.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Nobody: 5:40pm On May 29, 2011
^^^ Nigerian women are NOT aggressive.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Obiagu1(m): 5:45pm On May 29, 2011
This is because we can't act, we can only talk in this country so when the anger builds up and the person has the opportunity to talk about the issue, he/she will simply explode to release the anger within.

People that act more talk less.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Obiagu1(m): 5:48pm On May 29, 2011
bk.babe97y:

The most aggressive set of people I ever ran across (probably second only to Jamaicans) are Nigerians!

Even the women are just so wild its unbelievable. Ive met more aggressive Ibo men, while Yoruba men and Hausas tend to be more passive (and I say this in all seriousness. Then again I know more Ibos, so . . . . . )

This one Benin tribe girl tho was just unbelievably aggressive it was a damn shame.

You've not been with an Urhobo woman. I need not talk more.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by mensdept: 5:49pm On May 29, 2011
Beaf:

The average Nigerian is psychologically destroyed and 90% have one or more unfortunate mental problems.

True Dat
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by SEFAGO(m): 6:18pm On May 29, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

It's mainly Nigerian men and I dont understand why.

That thing is very annoying.

"Do you know who I am? Do you know who I am? You do not know who I am".

Are you God?

Like someone said, it's the arrogance and high level of aggression in Nigerian men, might be some psychological issue the science world has not yet touched upon.

But dont you know who we are?

grin

I really think someone should do a study on why Naija guys are objectively more arrogant than others. Because we tend to think we are all that when in reality we are at the bottom of the food chain.

The women too are too aggressive. It must be the high levels of testosterone grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Nobody: 6:23pm On May 29, 2011
SEFAGO, Have you ever wondered why your jokes are so dry to the bone? grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by musiwa46: 6:27pm On May 29, 2011
Nigeria shout while talking because most nigerian are deaf. more than 70% have hearing problem in one ear at least.

In a place like lagos 90% of them have hearing problem. they dont know they are partially deaf.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by SEFAGO(m): 6:27pm On May 29, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

SEFAGO, Have you ever wondered why your jokes are so dry to the bone? grin

Ouch!!!

You are supposed to massage my ego.   angry

But then you assume I am actually trying to be funny. Truth be told both men and women are aggressive. I think it has to do with our society which is a dog eat dog environment.

musiwa.:

Nigeria shout while talking because most nigerian are deaf. more than 70% have hearing problem in one ear at least.

In a place like lagos 90% of them have hearing problem. they dont know they are partially deaf.

Now this is definitely one funny dude.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Biggoozz: 6:34pm On May 29, 2011
BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! cheesy cheesy grin grin @ EZIACHI I can assure you that by the way I am bursting out in laughter and rolling on the floor here for your comments, you would agree you aint seen anything yet, I berra not show up in that your neighborhood cheesy grin cheesy grin Mehn, that is a part of what I like about this country. There is comic anywhere you go. Have you asked why there is no high rate of suicide with all the trouble people see here?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by tpia5: 6:46pm On May 29, 2011
so people can hear us @ topic.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Nobody: 6:50pm On May 29, 2011
@SEFAGO

^^ yea, take a cue from musiwa. A very funny man.

I doubt Nigerian women have up to 10% the level of aggression in them as Nigerian men. Truth be told, not to sound sexist, Nigerian women are more passive. I believe the aggressiveness in Nigerian men is either due to genetic mutation which psychologically conditions them to their environmental change like stress factors, bride price, bringing money unto the table etc etc. You know that back them, most of the stresses affected men. Nowadays, women also have to worry about environmental stress, job stress, family stress; it's each person for his own. So slowly, the males who could pass on their aggressive genes which causes  have passed it on to their offsprings, including females (1970- Now generations) . The genetic mutation which helps them survive in their environment is showing more often, but its being passed on to males than females. That's why we have Nigerian men being unnecessarily aggressive and rude.
We need more scientist to research on while it's more common in men than women.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by buzugee(m): 6:54pm On May 29, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

@SEFAGO

^^ yea, take a cue from musiwa. A very funny man.

I doubt Nigerian women have up to 10% the level of aggression in them as Nigerian men. Truth be told, not to sound sexist, Nigerian women are more passive. I believe the aggressiveness in Nigerian men is either due to genetic mutation which psychologically conditions them to their environmental change like stress factors, bride price, bringing money unto the table etc etc. You know that back them, most of the stresses affected men. Nowadays, women also have to worry about environmental stress, job stress, family stress; it's each person for his own. So slowly, the males who could pass on their aggressive genes which causes  have passed it on to their offsprings, including females (1970- Now generations) . The genetic mutation which helps them survive in their environment is showing more often, but its being passed on to males than females. That's why we have Nigerian men being unnecessarily aggressive and rude.
We need more scientist to research on while it's more common in men than women.
genetic mutation kini ? shocked grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Nobody: 6:58pm On May 29, 2011
buzugee:

genetic mutation kini ? shocked grin

Look okay, someone has to explain why Nigerian men are so disgustingly boisterous.

I've read alot of psychological journal on aggression and how the characteristics may be linked to a chromosomal locus.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by SEFAGO(m): 7:03pm On May 29, 2011
buzugee:

genetic mutation kini ?  shocked  grin

Na me you call Ewure for the other thread.

You don't have respect for God's anointed.

Anyways, I will deal with ya later, I am busy right now  cool

Ileke-IdI:

Look okay, someone has to explain why Nigerian men are so disgustingly boisterous.

I've read alot of psychological journal on aggression and how the characteristics may be linked to a chromosomal locus.

I find it difficult to tell the difference between naija women and the men
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Ibomade1: 7:05pm On May 29, 2011
I was asking a guy the same question a couple of hours ago.

I believe it is to intimidate the person they are talking to. Especially if it is in the case of an argument as it was in my case. smiley
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by hercules07: 7:11pm On May 29, 2011
Beaf must always find a way to bash Buhari, the way we behave has nothing to do with the being horse whipped by the military, if you grew up in a major city where there is so much noise and you need to raise your voice to be heard, you will shout when talking, Musiwa got it right with people being partially deaf due to all of the noise, as I am typing this my kids are shouting up and down the house, God will help us attenuate their noise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NASS Election: PDP, Tambuwal, Fayose Congratulate Saraki, Dogara / Arms Scandal : Panel Submits Final Report , Indicts Top FG Officials / Ihedioha To Sign Order On TSA As Imo Uncovers 250 Accounts Operated By Okorocha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.