Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,479 members, 7,819,749 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? (20891 Views)

What Make Poor Nigerians Shout Against Buhari's Change / Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With / Nigerians Shout Down Doyin Okupe With Chants Of APC! APC!! APC!!! (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Jakumo(m): 11:37am On May 30, 2011
$poOne:

In Ancient Sparta, [size=14pt]he who speaks the loudest gets heard [/size] ]– Modern Nigeria bears some resemblance to Ancient Sparta; at least in social interactions, and commerce.

Ah, so there is a historical precedent to the above-bolded philosophy.   Spartacus would indeed be proud of Nigerians, who can now raise their bloodied swords skyward, to celebrate the ultimate triumph of the Volume Intensity school of thought.  

I have enrolled for voice lessons in Opera tenor as we speak, to better prepare me for the delivery of glass-shattering audio salvos that will effectively neutralize cowering adversaries and enemies of frogress, wherever I may encounter them  be that on the LOUD streets of Lagos, Lokoja, London, Lisbon or Lima.  

Even at this early stage of my training, I have developed a capability to bellow the phase "[size=16pt]Do you know who I am ?" [/size] with decibel volume sufficient to injure small house-pets, so it is an understatement to say that I am Nigeria-ready at this time.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by spoOne: 11:46am On May 30, 2011
The unfortunate reality of our beloved country. . . after years of brutal military dictatorship.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by earthrealm(m): 12:08pm On May 30, 2011
A GR8 PERCENTAGE Ofnigerians are rude, uncouth, insloent and loud!!!,

nigerians shud be tagged, THE ANGRIEST PEOPLE ON EARTH!!.

thats y most of nigeria's institutions - banks,call center etc has the worst customer care ranking on the planet.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by petertosh: 12:32pm On May 30, 2011
We usually poke fun at a soft spoken person as somebody wey no get liver!!!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by rhythyson: 12:54pm On May 30, 2011
whatever anybody say no matter , the only reason why we dey shout wen we talk na GENERATOR grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by AjanleKoko: 12:56pm On May 30, 2011
Most of y'all have never been to India or Pakistan obviously. You say Nigeria is noisy? Okay oh undecided
Just visit any of the big Indian cities like Mumbai and Kolkatta, or Karachi in Pakistan and you'll know Nigerians are not the noisiest.

The noise in Nigeria is restricted to the big overpopulated cities, like Lagos, Ibadan, Kano, and Port Harcourt. I laugh when people say Hausas are not noisy. Try visiting Fagge market. The only thing I can say for Hausas is, they move a lot slower than people do in Lagos.

Personally I think noise is inevitable among the overpopulated underclass. Too many deprived people squeezed into a small area, struggling for their everyday livelihood, noise is kind of inevitable.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by blank(f): 1:12pm On May 30, 2011
When I was in school, my Chinese housemates would always come knock on d door 2 reduce the noise its either I av a Nigerian visitor or my TV is on very loud. I would apologise but d noise goes up again. When I am speaking 2 oyibo, my voice is very low. When talking with the Chinese, my voice increases 2 intimidate them (they go begin shake like jellyfish).

I remember when I was in SA, while driving, I will just be honking my horn like a Lagos driver. Everyone kept jumping n swerving widely. It was my cousin who told me dat dey don't honk so much.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Kobojunkie: 1:15pm On May 30, 2011
IT is true that Africans are loud, and from experiences, Nigerians are LOUDER. I think it is as some have stated, many of them believe they can control/win the situation if they are loudest. Even on the Phone, or watching TV, you know when a Nigerian is in.  grin

You hear Nigerian churches from a mile away! grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by MMM2(m): 2:46pm On May 30, 2011
becos d country is noisy.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by tpia5: 2:57pm On May 30, 2011
From my personal experience. I dont believe nigerians are louder than other africans.

The jumping singing and shouting i mentioned in my earlier post, is as of the time of writing, yet to be matched by any nigerian.

Jumping singing and shouting i can understand if its at a party or something.
But at a train station?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Dsense(m): 3:11pm On May 30, 2011
OP.

Person wey never chop,why he/she no go shout? undecided grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Omoteeh: 3:19pm On May 30, 2011
Funny, 2 years ago on the 161 bus in london, in Eltham to be precise, there were just 2 of us blacks upstairs. Th esecond person a yoruba man was speaking loudly on his phone saying "Egbon mi, RAZISTS ni won ni bi o, They are bloody RAZISTS!" (These people are all racits here in london). I nearly fainted, i had to leave for downstairs, it was terribly embarrasing! HE was so loud, no one could have missed what he was saying,
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Nobody: 3:39pm On May 30, 2011
Nigerian women are NOT aggressive.
Yes, they are. So are the men. Be realistic, not sexist. Aggressive genes? Haba, Ileke-Idi, that had better be a joke!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Kobojunkie: 4:01pm On May 30, 2011
M M M:

becos d country is noisy.
I doubt that has much to do with it. I remember back in the 80's, when I started noticing this trend. At first I thought it had more to do with the "notice me" culture, as those who made the most noise seemed to have something they needed you to see or hear.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Nija4Life(m): 5:13pm On May 30, 2011
This thread is so funny especially Eziachi's second post. No seriously, even here in the UK you cannot hold a civil conversation with some Nigerians without the raised voice, wild gestures and aggresive body language. There was this Nigerian lady where I use to work previously ~ initially she didn't realise I was a Nigerian. She was very loud in the office, attention seeking and was freaking annoying. She thought she was popular but actually no one liked her even though the white peeps pretended they did but were very critical of her behind her back. The day she got to know I was Nigerian, she was like, so you're Nigerian but you don't act like Nigerians. I said well you don't need to be loud and aggressive to act like a Nigerian, if that is your idea of being a Nigerian then you met the wrong person. She went away not overly impressed but respected me nonetheless.

As already mentioned culture is a factor here as I remember growing up in Nigeria where life can be a struggle at times from catching a bus to passing a police road block. I can understand Nigerians living in Nigeria acting that way but when I see folks who have lived in the west for a while behaving like they've just got off the plane at Heathrow it just baffles me.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by hackney(m): 7:15pm On May 30, 2011
Out here , the quickest way to point out a nigerian (usually) is by how loud they are on the phone
or when they are chatting with someone else.

Especially with the ones that have just arrived. (with their boneheaded i-know-what-im-doing nonsense attitude)
That's one of the reasons other africans despise them.
monkeys
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Kobojunkie: 7:19pm On May 30, 2011
hackney:

boneheaded i-know-what-im-doing nonsense attitude

No be only the ones wey just arrive oooh!!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Nobody: 8:16pm On May 30, 2011
A classic one is the businessman shouting
'Where is my container?' in a raised tone cool

Shouting is ingrained in our society probably due to our constant 'gra gra' smiley
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by otokx(m): 8:19pm On May 30, 2011
because of the generators in their houses.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by AjanleKoko: 8:55pm On May 30, 2011
I suppose you guys are all Nigerians?

Kind of amusing to read the way people type 'They' and 'Nigerians', and use phrases like 'I noticed they do that a lot'. grin
If you are Nigerian and contributing to this thread, I guess you're guilty as charged, no exonerations wink
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by netghost: 10:49pm On May 30, 2011
i walked into a bank PHB branch and a guy was asked to stop making calls within the banking hall, his response was so loud that it left me thinking "an indoor tsunami was about to take place" shocked
most nigerians see shouting or general raising of their voices as a way to prove points, or win arguments, if you doubt this, visit the closest bus stop next to you, and watch how touts collect money from conductor, it goes far beyond him bending his mouth to the left or right, he ensures that his voice is louder than the conductors voice grin
for some reasons that i honestly dont know , raising of ones voice is considered strength in nigeria, the louder you shout the stronger you are perceived to be cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by lepasharon(f): 11:04pm On May 30, 2011
netghost:

i walked into a bank PHB branch and a guy was asked to stop making calls within the banking hall, his response was so loud that it left me thinking "an indoor tsunami was about to take place" shocked
most nigerians see shouting or general raising of their voices as a way to prove points, or win arguments, if you doubt this, visit the closest bus stop next to you, and watch how touts collect money from conductor, it goes far beyond him bending his mouth to the left or right, he ensures that his voice is louder than the conductors voice grin
for some reasons that i honestly dont know , raising of ones voice is considered strength in nigeria, the louder you shout the stronger you are perceived to be cheesy cheesy cheesy
LLOOOL tru! but den again i think its because black mens voice is very deep compared to other races so daats why theyre so loud
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Nobody: 11:29pm On May 30, 2011
when ordinary words are losing their thrust, gestures, actions and intensity are sought
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by adconline(m): 12:07am On May 31, 2011
Corporate Area Boy

The conduct of the business of the day was not any better. After the the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Mallam Yayale Ahmed, had introduced the president with the usual time-wasting flurry of protocols, Chairman Stanbic/IBTC, Mr. Atedo Peterside, set the tone of what was to come in what were described as goodwill messages. First, he said Jonathan's victory at at the polls was not because of the Peoples Democractic Party (PDP) but in spite of the party. Then he said at his polling unit in Victoria Island Lagos, for instance, the same people who voted for the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) in the National Assembly polls voted for Jonathan in the presidential, before returning to vote ACN in the governorship and State Assembly elections

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/corporate-area-boys/92287/
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by DisGuy: 12:44am On May 31, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Most of y'all have never been to India or Pakistan obviously. You say Nigeria is noisy? Okay oh undecided
Just visit any of the big Indian cities like Mumbai and Kolkatta, or Karachi in Pakistan and you'll know Nigerians are not the noisiest.

The noise in Nigeria is restricted to the big overpopulated cities, like Lagos, Ibadan, Kano, and Port Harcourt. I laugh when people say Hausas are not noisy. Try visiting Fagge market. The only thing I can say for Hausas is, they move a lot slower than people do in Lagos.

Personally I think noise is inevitable among the overpopulated underclass. Too many deprived people squeezed into a small area, struggling for their everyday livelihood, noise is kind of inevitable.

compared to southerners, Hausas don't shout when they speak, Faggae is a market area- consisting of traders from different cities
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by maasoap(m): 1:10am On May 31, 2011
I'm educated. I go shout to scare hell out of you. I don't beat stubborn children, I don't really like physical assault, but my voice always do the job. And, don't forget argument too. It's my weapon in an hostile environment.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by ModestSam(m): 1:51am On May 31, 2011
I gave a work colleague a lift once, and had to lower the windows when he was on a call, 'cos his voice was reverberating in the 2door vehicle, and had to tell him to reduce his noise.
I am a soft spoken person, but I'd definitely raise my voice if you piss me off.
The society also plays a part, as my manager would always ask me to be aggressive when talking (Gbenga, the MC of Star comes to mind), so that people would respect you and listen to what you have to say.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Marinah(f): 10:14pm On May 31, 2011
'Why do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak ?'',
Going by this, I wonder how many Nigerians the poster have met and interacted with to actually conclude that 'MOST NIGERIANS shout when they speak',
He/she must have met and interacted with about half of the whooping sum of millions/billions of the Nigerian population to come to a conclusion as dry as this.
Not all Nigerians shout when they speak and not 'Most Nigerians shout' when they speak,
Besides, since you made your judgement based on what you saw on television/media, there could have been other factors responsible for the intensity/loudness - it could be attributed to a technical/sound-engineering factor, who knows ?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by DollyB(m): 10:19pm On May 31, 2011
cant blame them some of them have big vocal cords and they get too emotional and overprotective over nonsense grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by naijangel7(f): 11:19pm On May 31, 2011
Not only Nigerians. Spanish people also shout.

So true!! And Mexicans are SUPER LOUD!!!! grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by seyibrown(f): 11:37pm On May 31, 2011
Funny, 2 years ago on the 161 bus in london, in Eltham to be precise, there were just 2 of us blacks upstairs. Th esecond person a yoruba man was speaking loudly on his phone saying "Egbon mi, RAZISTS ni won ni bi o, They are bloody RAZISTS!" (These people are all racits here in london). I nearly fainted, i had to leave for downstairs, it was terribly embarrasing! HE was so loud, no one could have missed what he was saying,

grin grin grin I can't believe that! Did he think the other commuters were deaf or didn't know what 'RAZIST' meant? LOL!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by seyibrown(f): 11:45pm On May 31, 2011
Even at this early stage of my training, I have developed a capability to bellow the phase "Do you know who I am ?" with decibel volume sufficient to injure small house-pets, so it is an understatement to say that I am Nigeria-ready at this time.

You no go kill person o! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2019: Ministers, Nnamani, Kalu Launch Buhari’s S/west Campaign Office / rAPC Emergence Is Corruption Fighting Back – Oshiomhole / 2023: Southern Nigeria Should Produce The Next President – Ganduje

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.