Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,277 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:39 PM

Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? (20890 Views)

What Make Poor Nigerians Shout Against Buhari's Change / Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With / Nigerians Shout Down Doyin Okupe With Chants Of APC! APC!! APC!!! (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Konnekt(m): 2:17am On May 30, 2011

1- Nigeria has a high level of noise pollution - Ppl increase the volume of their TV sets to drown out the noise of the generators but don't turn it down when having a conversation, no distinct separation between residential and commercial areas and so on.

2- Nigerians have a strong mix of passion and frustration - This comes across in our use of wild gestures when we speak.

3- The need to be the Alpha Male/Female - Often with nothing of substance to back it up.

4- Nigerian phone etiquette dictates that "the volume of your voice should be directly proportional to the distance of your listener" FACTTongue. 

Then again, I dont think this trait is specific to just Nigeria/Africa, we just do it best
It's a high time all these brutal mobile telecommunication networks increase cost of calls/sec to reflect the tone of the caller. Amount charged should be directly proportional to the tone of voice. I bet you, warri boiz go pay pass GEJ coz they sabi shout for phone, lol
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Beaf: 2:31am On May 30, 2011
hercules07: Beaf must always find a way to bash Buhari, the way we behave has nothing to do with the being horse whipped by the military, if you grew up in a major city where there is so much noise and you need to raise your voice to be heard, you will shout when talking, Musiwa got it right with people being partially deaf due to all of the noise, as I am typing this my kids are shouting up and down the house, God will help us attenuate their noise.

Well, I did and I don't shout and hate it when people do.

It has absolutely nothing to do with living in noisy cities or in any noisy environment for that matter. If you have ever been in an underground railway system, do you wonder why the drivers and train ticket inspectors are not loud? Same goes for those who work in airports. Its even worse in some other fields, a formula one car is louder than a Boeing 747, but have you ever heard the likes of Lewis Hamilton talking in a loud uncultured way, even having put up with that level of noise for hours?

It is simply laughable to reach to becomerich for answers that lie in the average Nigerians low self esteem; something earned from dozens of years of being beaten up, slapped backwards and shot at by military fools like IBB, Abacha, Buhari etc.
Where do you think Nigerians gained the equally despicable "I will lock up you and your family, do you know who I am" syndrome from? Its just another display of low self esteem, an expression of low intensity madness.

The country needs a cold shower.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Kilode1: 2:51am On May 30, 2011
Beaf:

Well, I did and I don't shout and hate it when people do.

The country needs a cold shower.

Very true. Totally agree.

I once recommended a collective national therapy session.

Or a national bonfire in Lokoja or Abuja while we all hold hands together across the country and hum silently for a few hours.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by tpia5: 2:56am On May 30, 2011
There was a time i was waiting for someone at the train station and i stood beside some non-nigerian africans. Oh my ears saw wen that day.

Jumping, shouting, singing (i presume).

I moved away cos i dont know if they were planning to eat me or something. They followed me to where i moved away to, and at that point i was seriously considering my options- whether to move further down or just tackle them if need be.

True story.

Now, having said that, and ignoring ibime and jakumo's attempts at race baiting, i've been somewhere before with a nigerian lady who was raining curses, invectives and vituperations on somebody over the phone. The AAs on that bus must have wondered whats up.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by tpia5: 2:59am On May 30, 2011
And in case mandingo or darapture wants to start sniffing something, dont even get me started on their own.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by kandiikane(m): 3:03am On May 30, 2011
It is not just Nigerians but Majority of Africans. . .Have you heard them on the Phone, lool jeez, I mean are you fighting someone?

P.S, I do forget myself sometimes and tend to shout when I speak, especially when out and about. I guess its the freshness cool
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by pleep(m): 3:09am On May 30, 2011
tpia@:

And in case mandingo or darapture wants to start sniffing something, dont even get me started on their own.

A.A women are friggin insane shocked 'Girl this' ' girl dat' same with preppy white girls on the phone.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Nobody: 3:33am On May 30, 2011
rem being a young kid back in the day and my mom would have her "meeting women" over every 1st sunday of the month and can rem vividly that I would be so mad while they were around,so so headache
and on another note,why naija women too dey frown
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Jakumo(m): 3:40am On May 30, 2011
tpia@:

Now, having said that, and ignoring ibime and jakumo's attempts at race baiting, i've been somewhere before with a nigerian lady who was raining curses, invectives and vituperations on somebody over the phone. The AAs on that bus must have wondered whats up.

Perhaps Tpia will get around to visiting northern Nigeria some time at her convenience, in order to make a few first-hand observations of the real difference in volume between the spoken conversation of AVERAGE Hausa speakers, and that of AVERAGE southern Nigerian speakers from various tribes, most notably the Yoruba, whose vocalizations can rupture eardrums with ease when the speaker is agitated, argumentative or just on the phone.

Personally I have no particular affinity to northern Nigerians over those from the south, but the CULTURAL difference between those who grew up in the north, as opposed to the south of the country DOES manifest itself in spoken conversation.  Anyone who objects to such broad social comparisons may go ahead and content themselves with the politically correct declaration that all human beings are culturally identical, with no societal distinctions worthy of mention.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by bidemi12(m): 3:57am On May 30, 2011
because most nigerians, apart from being moorroons are deaf. they never listen and you have to keep yelling repeatedly to get your point across. case in point; THE SITUATION IN THE COUNTRY.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by LordBabs(m): 5:33am On May 30, 2011
I wonder y dr's no nigerian patriotic enuf 2 echo d truth abt nature. Howeva, it's abjectly unlearned of som tinkers 2 view vociferousity as uncultured! And to also say Nigerians are more vulnerable can be un-empirical. The environ, gene/hereditary, psychological hue&nature altogether justify dis course. Besides, xcept 4 nature, it's not all d time d dog barks.And wat uncivility or wrong is it in speaking loud, even publicly? Is it just dt we ar indeliberately&slavishly engrained in d European/western culture? A nigerian lecturer/teacher assigned to a class of hundreds, witout a P.A system, au well cud he/she teach witout speakin loud? And soon enuf,it degenerates in2 a habit. Transportatn system in Naija(either as the bus conductor or as a commuter/passenger) mostly require u shouting, somtims hoarsely. For instance, a place lik Ogun state, abeokuta, u wil av 2 call out whr u'r goin or else u apply d western-soft voice & tarry for ages. I inherited my mother's strident trait, and so, i speak loud enuf just wen i rly nid 2.again, d heart of Man is stony, justifies y d truth is somtims forcefully injected; dis is universal.(For dose dat blv in biblical myth), av u asked ursf how Jesus was able to teach multitudes successfully? Or u tink dr is a P.A system? Do u even consider d healthy benefits of speakin loud? I'm beginning to conclude dat 'thinking' is now d bane of man; we rarely tink rightly. And dis doesn't go well wit d want of nature at all,
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Beaf: 6:32am On May 30, 2011
Lord Babs:

I wonder y dr's no nigerian patriotic enuf 2 echo d truth abt nature. Howeva, it's abjectly unlearned of som tinkers 2 view vociferousity as uncultured! And to also say Nigerians are more vulnerable can be un-empirical. The environ, gene/hereditary, psychological hue&nature altogether justify dis course. Besides, xcept 4 nature, it's not all d time d dog barks.And wat uncivility or wrong is it in speaking loud, even publicly? Is it just dt we ar indeliberately&slavishly engrained in d European/western culture? A nigerian lecturer/teacher assigned to a class of hundreds, witout a P.A system, au well cud he/she teach witout speakin loud? And soon enuf,it degenerates in2 a habit. Transportatn system in Naija(either as the bus conductor or as a commuter/passenger) mostly require u shouting, somtims hoarsely. For instance, a place lik Ogun state, abeokuta, u wil av 2 call out whr u'r goin or else u apply d western-soft voice & tarry for ages. I inherited my mother's strident trait, and so, i speak loud enuf just wen i rly nid 2.again, d heart of Man is stony, justifies y d truth is somtims forcefully injected; dis is universal.(For dose dat blv in biblical myth), av u asked ursf how Jesus was able to teach multitudes successfully? Or u tink dr is a P.A system? Do u even consider d healthy benefits of speakin loud? I'm beginning to conclude dat 'thinking' is now d bane of man; we rarely tink rightly. And dis doesn't go well wit d want of nature at all,

If you don't grasp something so basic as loud talking is rude and uncultured, then hope might be lost.
Every kid is taught that it is basic manners not to talk too loud. Would you dare shout at your dad for example?

Don't justify nosense with your argument about bus conductors. Thats just crass. Bus conductors shout because Nigeria is a chaotic place, full of people that have been traumatised to the point of brain death; the only way to get things through to the poor souls is to shout like you are addressing a cretin. Perhaps, little signs that say something like, "Abule Egba" on buses in a neat queue would do the trick in peace and quiet. No?
Do you see fools leaning out of dollar buses in the US? If not, why?

This is a dollar bus:

Australia:

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by LKRavitz(m): 6:48am On May 30, 2011
cant blame them really ,Its all because of the hostility and frustration in the country .Most nigerians are always ready to pounce and lack common courtesy and manners. no thank you, no please, no excuse me. sad really sad. sad
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Jakumo(m): 7:41am On May 30, 2011
Beaf, please seek my permission next time before you post pictures of the bus that I chartered, parked outside a strip club.

If I want to treat 20 of my best friends to an evening of dispassionate T&A observation, I would like my cover story that we all went on a church outing to withstand scrutiny before the court of law presided over by Her Lordship - my wife, the judge, jury and executioner.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by KnowAll(m): 7:45am On May 30, 2011
[size=18pt]
I go open my mouth like basket, 'ayapata' " ma lanu bi apere", Nigerians speak loud because we all have basket mouth[/size].
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by member479760: 8:05am On May 30, 2011
Talk - shout = ?
? = ODE
so therefor complete it as you like.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by naijangel7(f): 8:10am On May 30, 2011
Lord Babs:

I wonder y dr's no nigerian patriotic enuf 2 echo d truth abt nature. Howeva, it's abjectly unlearned  of som tinkers 2 view vociferousity as uncultured! And to also say Nigerians are more vulnerable can be un-empirical. The  environ, gene/hereditary, psychological hue&nature altogether justify dis course. Besides, xcept 4 nature, it's not all d time d dog barks.And wat uncivility or wrong is it in speaking loud, even publicly? [/b]Is it just dt we ar indeliberately&slavishly engrained in d  European/western culture? A nigerian lecturer/teacher assigned to a class of hundreds, witout a P.A system, au well cud he/she teach witout speakin loud? And soon enuf,it [b]degenerates in2 a habit. Transportatn system in Naija(either as the bus conductor or as a commuter/passenger) mostly require u shouting, somtims hoarsely. For instance, a place lik Ogun state, abeokuta, u wil av 2 call out whr u'r goin or else u apply d western-soft voice & tarry for ages. I inherited my mother's strident trait, and so, i speak loud enuf just wen i rly nid 2.again, d heart of Man is stony, justifies y d truth is somtims forcefully injected; dis is universal.(For dose dat blv in biblical myth), av u asked ursf how Jesus was able to teach multitudes successfully? Or u tink dr is a P.A system? Do u even consider d healthy benefits of speakin loud? I'm beginning to conclude dat 'thinking' is now d bane of man; we rarely tink rightly. And dis doesn't go well wit d want of nature at all,

OMG!!!! Are these the thoughts of a 21st century Nigerian? We're in DEEP DEEP trouble  undecided undecided undecided embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

You seem to regard noisemaking as a bad habit, a sign of "degeneration" (your own words) and a breakdown in societal/social structure, yet you seem to accept it as an essential part of life. If only you realised how primitive your comment looks on many levels! I don't know where your notions of "vociferousity" and other robust expressions you use are leading to but noise is noise, that's why there's such a thing as noise pollution. If you agree that Naija noisemaking is often necessitated by the absence of basic infrastructure in our schools and communities, why are you acting like it's our culture? In an organised society nobody screams to stop a taxi or to get anybody to board a vehicle. Do BRT bus drivers/conductors yell and scream? (Someone help me here as i'm not sure).

You could live in an organised society for years and not even hear the sound of a car horn (i can still vividly remember the first time i heard a car driver honk his horn after i got to Europe  cheesy), you eat out at restaurants and although everybody's chatting, they do so quietly and you can enjoy your meal in peace. We really really really need national rehabilitation and orientation ("a cold shower" grin). Noisemaking isn't even Nigerian tradition for those people saying we are trying to be "western". Why did our Naija teachers have a special person assigned in class to write the "names of noisemakers"? I don't know about other people here o, but growing up in Naija, noisemaking was a punishable offence in my family, especially during 9 o'clock network news  grin grin Our psyche as a people has taken such a bad beating because of generations of poverty and disillusionment that impropriety has now become the norm in our eyes. God save Nigeria!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by LordBabs(m): 8:12am On May 30, 2011
@Beaf, y do u so encumber ur mind in d poverty of immaginatn? U avn't told me d menace in 'speakin loud'? Is it mere oblivion or sheer vapidity?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by LordBabs(m): 8:12am On May 30, 2011
@Beaf, y do u so encumber ur mind in d poverty of immaginatn? U avn't told me d menace in 'speakin loud'? Is it mere oblivion or sheer vapidity? Be least cynical guy!
@Beaf, y do u so encumber ur mind in d poverty of immaginatn? U avn't told me d menace in 'speakin loud'? Is it mere oblivion or sheer vapidity? Be least cynical guy!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by naijangel7(f): 8:16am On May 30, 2011
Lord Babs:

@Beaf, y do u so encumber your mind in d poverty of immaginatn? U avn't told me d menace in 'speakin loud'? Is it mere oblivion or sheer vapidity? Be least cynical guy!

I'm not beaf but beaf's probably reaching for a dictionary right about now, be patient lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Jakumo(m): 8:26am On May 30, 2011
naijangel7:

I'm not beaf but beaf's probably reaching for a dictionary right about now, be patient lipsrsealed

I can't see a standard Oxford dictionary being of much help in deciphering that strange dialect, Angel, but let us wait and see if Beaf still has his Batu-to-Engrish dictionary handy.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Nobody: 8:55am On May 30, 2011
Lord Babs:

@Beaf, y do u so encumber your mind in d poverty of immaginatn? U avn't told me d menace in 'speakin loud'? Is it mere oblivion or sheer vapidity? Be least cynical guy!

I am confusingly flabbergasted. shocked embarassed
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Olaisrich(m): 9:39am On May 30, 2011
That phenomenon is a common thing in Nigeria, what if somebody pitched premier league viewing center
close to your house? if it has to be in US or UK you can call on police to help you,but here in Nigeria you may
be the one to relocate. I think things were different during the regime of Tunde Idiagbon!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by An0nimus: 9:52am On May 30, 2011
Anyone remember the typical Nigerian home video advert?. . .I can almost hear the voice over in my head screaming '51 Iweka Road,Onitsha'.lol.
NTA,AIT or STV should do a show or a comedy series on this,comedians should crack jokes out of it bottomline is to let Nigerians know and be more conscious of themselves. The advent of mobile fones sure did take this trend out of proportions.Imagine a man pickin a call in a bank and screaming 'Oboy I dey bank.how far that work na??!. . .' rabbish.
Lord Babs:

@Beaf, y do u so encumber your mind in d poverty of immaginatn? U avn't told me d menace in 'speakin loud'? Is it mere oblivion or sheer vapidity?
take am easy braws.Ur Engrish is deaf'nin.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Ezekiel04: 9:57am On May 30, 2011
We are always quick to condemn ourselves as Nigerians. Each nationalities has a trait to distinguish them from the other. No doubt, people from the west are known not to talk loud when they speak. Sometimes, you need to listen with rapt attention to hear whatever they have to tell you. That cannot be said about Nigerians except those who have travelled to the western world and have imbibed the habbit of speaking in low voice. Even when you talk about those western countries, someone should come out and tell me Americans don't shout when they speak. If you ask me, they make the most noise. I work and live with them and i know what i'm talking about. An average Nigerian don't talk in low voice except when we get to where we have to adjust to what is acceptable. Aggresiveness and loud talking is not peculiar to only Nigerians but all Africans. I need someone to tell me prove me wrong please.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Nobody: 10:26am On May 30, 2011
Nigeria is generally a noisy country, whenever i'm in naija, I hardly go out because the noise causes serious migraines.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by LilyZ(f): 10:27am On May 30, 2011
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by hackney(m): 10:31am On May 30, 2011
In pure evolutionary trends, Ngeria will belong to the least evolved class or very near it.
This is why they shout the loudest, most likely to fight anywhere and also capable of taking
everything that belongs to someone else without blinking (like a chimp in the jungle).

Their ego is neither refined nor evolved and therefore rather than it being their measure for decorum and civility, it actually fires their "i'm-always-right"  and the "how-dare-you" syndrome(this especially happens to nigerians at the highest level of govt; opposite of everywhere else in evolved societies).

These traits are indicative of poorly developed higher mental processes proven by their inability to copy behaviour
from better behaved others despite living amongst them.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Nobody: 10:36am On May 30, 2011
Lily-Z:

Not only Nigerians. Spanish people also shout.

You are right. But the worst shouters are Indians.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by spoOne: 11:13am On May 30, 2011
In Ancient Sparta, he who speaks the loudest gets heard – Modern Nigeria bears some resemblance to Ancient Sparta; at least in social interactions, and commerce.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Shout When They Speak? by Nobody: 11:29am On May 30, 2011
cheesy cheesy Everybody has their bad habits.Nigerians shout when they talk,Americans fart when they eat,The english cover their mouth with their hands when talking to strangers,Indians smell too much of curry,the chinese talk through their noses when they talk to you,the germans sound like frogs when they talk, etc we all have our bad habits cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

rAPC Emergence Is Corruption Fighting Back – Oshiomhole / EFCC Raids Ambode’s Residence / The Wars Yoruba Fight By Yinka Odumakin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.