Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:36 PM

Proposals For Digital Audio In Courts - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Proposals For Digital Audio In Courts (1837 Views)

Courts Nullifies 81 Elections, Upturns 15 Others, Says INEC / Imo Courts, Assembly Complex Shut As Workers Begin Indefinite Strike / JUSUN Suspends Strike In Federal Courts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Proposals For Digital Audio In Courts by ebere1712: 1:01am On Jun 03, 2011
I think using digital audio recordings in Nigerian courts can help ameliorate corruption in Nigerian courts. The digital recordings should be made public online so that people can randomly listen to proceedings. Please don't castigate me its just a thought anyway. I'm seeking suggestions on whether it is workable and how to persuade the Nigerian government to use it. For our democracy to work, we need to actively monitor all tiers of government. So my proposal is
1) All courts in Nigeria should record their proceedings in Digital form and maybe use voice morphing software to hide the peoples identity.
2) These records should be placed online after 7 days of the proceedings
3) Anybody should be allowed to access this information

Please feel free to add suggestions.
Re: Proposals For Digital Audio In Courts by Kobojunkie: 1:03am On Jun 03, 2011
@Poster, good, now can you put together a more formal proposal so we can sign on or something?
Re: Proposals For Digital Audio In Courts by Pukkah: 11:45am On Jun 03, 2011
I hope that, in addition to reducing corruption, this would also lead to more speedy trials. You would be surprised that in many Nigerian courts, the judges write manually the submissions from the defence and prosecution counsels (in addition to the witnesses they call).
Re: Proposals For Digital Audio In Courts by Koolking(m): 12:37pm On Jun 03, 2011
It's a good idea, but at the same time you are looking at the business (contract) aspect for your coy
Re: Proposals For Digital Audio In Courts by manny4life(m): 1:40pm On Jun 03, 2011
I totally support your views;. here, audio is recorded and transcribed as well.

You can easily listen or read transcribed materials from the lower courts to the Supreme Court.
Re: Proposals For Digital Audio In Courts by honsule(m): 3:59pm On Jun 03, 2011
That will be 9ice.But it shd only be applicable to superior courts of record wink wink wink
Re: Proposals For Digital Audio In Courts by Kobojunkie: 4:25pm On Jun 03, 2011
Koolking:

It's a good idea, but at the same time you are looking at the business (contract) aspect for your coy

Na so oo . . . make the guy bring paper make I sign before we continue. I want chop too
Re: Proposals For Digital Audio In Courts by OAM4J: 5:00pm On Jun 03, 2011
^hehehe. You sef want National cake? grin
Re: Proposals For Digital Audio In Courts by Koolking(m): 5:05pm On Jun 03, 2011
You know what it means to procure and install digital audio in all courts in Nigeria? mehn, after the contract, you would be one of the most sought after political godfather. Govt has to consider this proposal. Can anyone here follow up?
Re: Proposals For Digital Audio In Courts by violent(m): 5:08pm On Jun 03, 2011
How exactly will this help ameliorate corruption?

Files are normally kept for each cases tried, no?  so how does audio recording make much difference?

Court cases aren't conducted secretly to begin with, anyone can walk into a court to observe proceedings, how does having audio recordings make the process better and more transparent?
Re: Proposals For Digital Audio In Courts by Kobojunkie: 5:10pm On Jun 03, 2011
I do not trust the recordkeeping abilities of our civil servants.
Re: Proposals For Digital Audio In Courts by violent(m): 5:20pm On Jun 03, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I do not trust the recordkeeping abilities of our civil servants.

I still find it hard to grasp how audio recording helps much in the fight against a corrupt Judiciary.

Judges don't talk much during proceedings, they only listen to arguments from lawyers and in the end, make a decision in private after consulting relevant sections in constitution, quoted by lawyers in support for their argument. . .

If a lawyer feels the Judge has been biased against him in his decision, he's free to appeal the Judge's decision at a higher court, where more experienced and senior Judges will consider the lower court's decision and weigh in on the importance of relevant arguments.

How exactly does audio recording stop a Judge from being biased?

The only useful purpose i can see with this, is for citations and keeping records of oral testimonies from witness. . . .it doesn't stop a Judge from being biased or corrupt.

The only way i feel corruption can be stemmed in Nigerian courts is through the introduction of a Jury system.
Re: Proposals For Digital Audio In Courts by Wallie(m): 6:53pm On Jun 03, 2011
Firstly, you have to realize that there are three independent branches of government – the judiciary branch, the legislative branch, and the executive branch. In other words, one branch cannot tell the other what to do or how to behave. So when you say the “government,” which branch are you referring to? Only the Judiciary branch can mandate such a requirement on itself.

Normally, if you want to change the law, that’s the job of the legislative branch and once changed, the judiciary branch will interpret it however they want. But in this case, the law will be telling the judiciary how to behave. Does the legislative branch have such plenary power enshrined in the constitution to control the judiciary branch? Probably not otherwise the three branches of government won’t be independent.

Secondly, there are court reporters that transcribe what goes on in the courtroom and are available to officers of the court (lawyers & co) for a fee, at least in the US.

Thirdly, judges have the final say in “their” courtroom and whatever they decide goes until it is reviewed by a higher court, unless you’re already in the Supreme Court. Most judges will have a problem “immortalizing” their voices as you might catch them in a moment of “brain fart.”

The bottom line is that, in a democracy, change is extremely hard to come by. Imagine an audio recording of a judge showing his bias or incompetence that can be heard by anybody in the world at any time?

But I do agree that any case that cuts across state lines should have the option of being televised.
Re: Proposals For Digital Audio In Courts by Kobojunkie: 6:59pm On Jun 03, 2011
violent:

I still find it hard to grasp how audio recording  helps much in the fight against a corrupt Judiciary.

Judges don't talk much during proceedings, they only listen to arguments from lawyers and in the end, make a decision in private after consulting relevant sections in constitution, quoted by lawyers in support for their argument. . .

If a lawyer feels the Judge has been biased against him in his decision, he's free to appeal the Judge's decision at a higher court, where more experienced and senior Judges will consider the lower court's decision and weigh in on the importance of relevant arguments.

How exactly does audio recording stop a Judge from being biased?

The only useful purpose i can see with this, is for citations and keeping records of oral testimonies from witness. . . .it doesn't stop a Judge from being biased or corrupt.

The only way i feel corruption can be stemmed in Nigerian courts is through the introduction of a Jury system.

Well, I am not certain the @OP wants to solve the problem of Corruption by this. I will not however, deny that it could help. Plus, there is potential that this may make one big bucks. So I am all for it!  grin
Re: Proposals For Digital Audio In Courts by octar6: 10:55pm On Jun 03, 2011
what are they recording?when we dont have constant light and good roads.
Abeg stop dreaming jare.we never advance reach that level. shocked
Re: Proposals For Digital Audio In Courts by adozie(m): 1:14am On Jun 05, 2011
Splendid idea. Digital recording of court proceedings is a very good idea. Record keeping and unbiased transcription of court and police interrogations has been a problem in our country. Look at the case of Ibru: It has turned to "he said, I said". This does not have to be made public after every proceeding, but can be provided on request as part of the freedom of information act. It will greatly reduce corruption in the judiciary and police service.
Re: Proposals For Digital Audio In Courts by Nobody: 1:24am On Jun 05, 2011
I agree with the proposal of digital CAMERAS in court. Nigerians need to know what is going on and if the final judgement by the judge/jury is based on the evidence(s) laid out in court or if its in accordance with the arguments from both sides of the coin. We've had judges getting paid by suspect/defendant to sweep the case under the carpet.

My main concern is that like with everything, Nigerians will be bribed to doctor either the digital audio or camera in every court case.
Re: Proposals For Digital Audio In Courts by ebere1712: 1:57am On Jun 05, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I agree with the proposal of digital CAMERAS in court. Nigerians need to know what is going on and if the final judgement by the judge/jury is based on the evidence(s) laid out in court or if its in accordance with the arguments from both sides of the coin. We've had judges getting paid by suspect/defendant to sweep the case under the carpet.

My main concern is that like with everything, Nigerians will be bribed to doctor either the digital audio or camera in every court case.
I wouldn't use cameras because even suspects need their privacy. If you notice, I suggested voice morphing for the one that wud be put on web to protect identity of suspects.
Re: Proposals For Digital Audio In Courts by Kobojunkie: 1:57am On Jun 05, 2011
Suspects need their privacy?? grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Proposals For Digital Audio In Courts by Nobody: 3:09am On Jun 05, 2011
ebere1712:

I wouldn't use cameras because even suspects need their privacy. If you notice, I suggested voice morphing for the one that wud be put on web to protect identity of suspects.

In a regular civilized court, cameras are placed in the court room. Just in case.

Anything that has to do with the civilians or the people should be publicized.

From where I'm standing, I've been watching the case of Florida Vs. Casey Anthony trial since it began.

(1) (Reply)

Northerners Start To Leave Niger Delta Following Militants Threat / The Evil Trinity- Sanusi, Ngozi And Chistine / Group Analysis: Why Is There A Boko Haram? What Is The Aim?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.