Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies (5632 Views)

13 Bidders Pay 75% Balance For Power Assets / All Preferred Bidders For The 15 PHCN Successor Companies Pay 25% Offer Value / FG Hands Over PHCN Power Cops To Private Bidders In 2 Weeks- Anyim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by ektbear: 4:14pm On Jun 06, 2011
By Elisha Bala-Gbogbo - Jun 6, 2011
Dangote Industries Ltd., Tata Group and Essar Group of India are among companies shortlisted to buy Nigeria’s state-owned power companies, the Bureau of Public Enterprises said in a statement in the Lagos-based ThisDay newspaper today.

The agency shortlisted 525 bids for the sale of 11 state- owned electricity distributions companies and six generation companies, it said on June 1.

To contact the reporter on this story: Elisha Bala-Gbogbo in Abuja at ebalagbogbo@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Gordon Bell at gbell16@bloomberg.net

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/print/2011-06-06/tata-dangote-essar-among-bidders-for-the-sale-of-nigeria-power-companies.html
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by ektbear: 4:14pm On Jun 06, 2011
All I can say is a big hell no to Dangote owning any of the distribution companies in the SW.

Do the states involved get a say in who buys the assets covering that state?
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by OAM4J: 4:17pm On Jun 06, 2011
Am not even so particular about who buys what. I only hope they will be sold to competent persons that will make progress with them.
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by ektbear: 4:23pm On Jun 06, 2011
The problem I have with Dangote being one of the buyers is that he has already abused monopolies he has had in the past.

So what happens if he gains an additional monopoly on electricity distribution? He'll use his usual government-aided tricks to gouge customers.

Granted, anyone who buys might be able to do this. But it seems to me you want to avoid someone who has taken advantage of the system already.

Also, what prior experience does this guy have in power distribution anyways? I'd rather have someone with a track record.
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by Kilode1: 4:25pm On Jun 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

All I can say is a big hell no to Dangote owning any of the distribution companies in the SW.

Do the states involved get a say in who buys the assets covering that state?

Politically? maybe. As per how Naija is structured? NO!

We practice Pseudo-Federalism. The states have no power except the Center gives it to them. In Nigeria, FG is God.

If Dangote can make the Company work and the Government can regulate against monopoly and sharp practices, I won't care really.
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by ektbear: 4:27pm On Jun 06, 2011
Kilode?!:

Politically? maybe. As per how Naija is structured? NO!

We practice Pseudo-Federalism. The states have no power except the Center gives it to them. In Nigeria, FG is God.

If Dangote can make the Company work and the Government can regulate against monopoly and sharp practices, I won't care really.

The same government of a country in which cement is 3X the cost of the market price? undecided

I'm very suspicious of the dude, and don't want him involved in power distribution if possible. Generation, who cares. But willingly giving that guy another monopoly seems very stupid to me.
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by YoungBrain: 5:13pm On Jun 06, 2011
No to Dangote
No to anything Indian

Lets look elsewhere to get a more favourable deal for Nigeria
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by wesley80(m): 9:07pm On Jun 06, 2011
All I can say is, here we go again! The Indians currently own Ajaokuta and Delta steel company, how far have they been run? Dangote of all people again? Of course this time he'll put the nations interest ahead of making Forbes top 10 list. Can someone give me a reason to be optimistic about this privatization process?
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by ebere1712: 1:58am On Jun 07, 2011
why cant these people build their own plants. Instead of buying existing ones. This privatisation stuff, though good, shouldn't be taken with a pinch of salt.
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by DisGuy: 2:46am On Jun 07, 2011
ekt_bear:

The problem I have with Dangote being one of the buyers is that he has already abused monopolies he has had in the past.

So what happens if he gains an additional monopoly on electricity distribution? He'll use his usual government-aided tricks to gouge customers.

Granted, anyone who buys might be able to do this. But it seems to me you want to avoid someone who has taken advantage of the system already.

Also, what prior experience does this guy have in power distribution anyways? I'd rather have someone with a track record.

Such as?

The bidding is also open to investors with technical partners, this issue of castigating Dangote for everything or any sector he dominates doest make sense, its almost like a crime to be the major player in your field nowadays, the govt is there to make laws

The system being weak will be exploited by anyone American, Japanese Lebanese whatever, you concern should be those in charge should be transparent and thorough
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by edoyad(m): 3:03am On Jun 07, 2011
YoungBrain:

No to Dangote
No to anything Indian

Lets look elsewhere to get a more favourable deal for Nigeria
And where exactly do we look, heaven or burkina faso ? Dangote will get that deal if he really wants it, that's the reality of the whole matter. The Govt will say it's better they sell to an indigenous bidder and Dangote fits that description.
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by naijaking1: 3:47am On Jun 07, 2011
I hope they're meant to buy parts and portions of the giant and sluggish PHCN. One company could buy Lagos, while another could buy PH, others Kaduna, etc.
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by saintohia: 8:01am On Jun 07, 2011
Pls GEJ don't involve Dangote or any Indian firm in the PHCN privatization. The Dangote cement monopoly and NSE internal trading is enough to sentence the guy for a life parole.
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by Nobody: 8:11am On Jun 07, 2011
Bunch of criminals don line up
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by saintohia: 8:16am On Jun 07, 2011
Run 4m Indian firm & Dangote for power stability, as we speak Indian govt. is about 2 sentence some guyz 4 life parole b/c of corruption issue.

1.We shld do anything 2 stop any Indian company 4m energing, they're crooks & highly corrupt like some Nigerians.

Listen: the reason Ajaokuta Steel Company, International Glass Idustry, Aba  are not functional are Indians, I don't want to go into Churchgate in Aba also where they moved all originals machines to India & replaced them with scrap. Combining an Indian company with Nigerian backgroung wld cause more problems 4 us than solve the power issue.

2. Dangote wld make power 4 0r 5 times more expensive tha it shl be. Once Dangote emerges, he wld be running the powe sector in a way that even Nigerian govt. wld see Nigerians suffer or pay through their nose for power but wldn't have the machinery to stop or regulate him. If Nigerian Govt. seriously want 2 solve power / electricity issue in Nigeria once & 4 ever, they shldn't involve any Indian firm or Dangote.
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by DisGuy: 8:29am On Jun 07, 2011
saintohia:

Run 4m Indian firm & Dangote for power stability, as we speak Indian govt. is about 2 sentence some guyz 4 life parole b/c of corruption issue.

1.We shld do anything 2 stop any Indian company 4m energing, they're crooks & highly corrupt like some Nigerians.

Listen: the reason Ajaokuta Steel Company, International Glass Idustry, Aba  are not functional are Indians, I don't want to go into Churchgate in Aba also where they moved all originals machines to India & replaced them with scrap. Combining an Indian company with Nigerian backgroung wld cause more problems 4 us than solve the power issue.

2. Dangote wld make power 4 0r 5 times more expensive tha it shl be. Once Dangote emerges, he wld be running the powe sector in a way that even Nigerian govt. wld see Nigerians suffer or pay through their nose for power but wldn't have the machinery to stop or regulate him. If Nigerian Govt. seriously want 2 solve power / electricity issue in Nigeria once & 4 ever, they shldn't involve any Indian firm or Dangote.

see sense o
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by DisGuy: 8:35am On Jun 07, 2011
Fresh facts have emerged over the identity of some of the 525 firms that were prequalified last week by the Bureau of Public Enterprises to take part in the next stage of the process for the privatisation of successor companies created from unbundling of the National Electric Power Authority - the precursor to Power Holding Company of Nigeria.

Investigations revealed that for the thermal (gas powered) generating stations, some of the prequalified bidders include AES Nigeria Barge Limited belonging to the Lagos State Government, and Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO).

In a separate transaction, KEPCO [/b]in conjunction with [b]Sahara Energy, a leading integrated energy company in Nigeria, formed a joint venture - KEPCO-Energy Resources Limited (or KERL consortium) in 2006 - and is already in advanced negotiations with the BPE for the acquisition of the 1,320MW Egbin power station in Lagos.

Another company that was prequalified to bid for the thermal generation companies is Abu Dhabi National Energy Company, while Dangote Industries Limited, featured on the list of bidders prequalified to bid for hydro generating companies.

Dangote Industries, belonging to business mogul Aliko Dangote, is believed to have expressed interest in acquiring controlling interest in the 600MW Shiroro Hydroelectric power station located in the Shiroro Gorge along the Kaduna River in Niger State.

For the distribution companies, companies revealed to have been shortlisted by the BPE include Hneso Energy Consortium; Israel Electric Corporation/Integrated Power Connect Projects; Oando Consortium; Tata Power Company; North Delhi Power Limited; and China Southern Power Grid Limited.

Thisday
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by 1025: 8:53am On Jun 07, 2011
abeg, make una no vex oo. is the bidding still on at this time of our lives when others are enjoying stability in their power supply?
is this part of the road map? how long will it take this govt to start the whole process?
are we not wasting our lives and resources with these uninformed fresh air deceivers?
this time next year, we will still be talking about bidding.
i am using meter card yet with units in my meter, they will tell me that i am owing 9 months service charge of N1,005.00 monthly. is this in any way, pay as you go?
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by sheriffman(m): 9:39am On Jun 07, 2011
Please FG we are collectively saying NO to Dangote and Indians.For one Indian working conditions are known to be too harsh just a step below the Lebanese.And for Dangote its no secret that he misuses his monopoly he doesn't use it for the greater good of the masses and power is what it is POWER you don't give hm our power sector if he is really interested let him and his Indian friends build their own plants.Besides I think that PHCN should be unbundled and not sold as one let it be unbundled into zones as They currently have it now.
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by MMM2(m): 9:53am On Jun 07, 2011
dangote again.
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by Reference(m): 10:13am On Jun 07, 2011
I'm not worried in the least about their track records. To me its like asking people to bid for the then NITEL in the process of privatization. They are buying very faulty assets and will probably bankrupt them anyway. Secondly if Dangote buys all the assets that will give him a maximum of only 4,000 megawatts. That pales into insignificance compared to what the grid requires and what people presently generate from their personal IPP's. He will have to inject an additional 10,000 MW within a very short time to compete when the lions of world electrical power generation notice the buffalo running across the plains. Its an advantage but not much. MTN had that head start, what is it to them today. Nothing. The market has so broadened and deepened that they are amongst equals. Dangote will not be able to power Nigeria alone.

Now if we could accept Mike Adenuga in Telecomms let us give Dangote a chance. He may just be the bulwark against the type of MTN business practices we saw in the early years. We must empower our own industries and entrepreneurs to ensure as much cash as possible remains here in our system. If only there could be other dynamic businessmen with his type of courage. If only.
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by Geomel: 10:35am On Jun 07, 2011
the private individual in our country should be given the Golden opportuinty to control that sector because our Government has fail us (citizen).
www.geomellassoc..com
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by Bishop7(m): 10:40am On Jun 07, 2011
I think you folks have the whole idea all wrong. What the BPE intends to do is to break the Power Holden Company into parts. The Generation, Transmission and Distribution departments. While the Transmission and Distribution will be privatized, the Generation will still remain in the management of the government owned PHCN.

Come to think of it, how will independent Power companies generate their own power? Will they own their own private Dams and grids. The effort of the Epe power plant while being bold has not fully assuaged the needs of Power on the Island.  The cost of running independent power cables from power stations will be monumental. Joint usage of facilities like the Tele-companies will not be possible as a problem caused by Company A may affect supply of power by Company B.

In effect, the government will generate and let the private companies transmit and distribute. Even at that, it is hoped that the Government will have a body set up to will act as a check to regulate the rates and practices of these companies.
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by mbulela: 10:42am On Jun 07, 2011
what do you expect the govt to do if these were the only willing buyers?
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by dustydee: 11:23am On Jun 07, 2011
who cares if there is constant electricity? For those opposed to the bid, where were you when Dangote was bidding? Did you bid and was not shortlisted?
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by Acidosis(m): 11:29am On Jun 07, 2011
@dustydee and mbulela.
Thanks!!!!!
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by olaolabiy: 11:30am On Jun 07, 2011
Indians? Hell NO.

Dangote. Yes!
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jun 07, 2011
NO TO DANGOTE!
NO NO TO INDIANS!
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by iwantto(m): 12:45pm On Jun 07, 2011
The Nigeria Power problem is with generation. The total megawatts generated is inadequate to meet the power need of Nigerians.

Even if the distribution and transmission is privatised, the main issue still remain, which is low megawatt produced. Back to Zero!!!!!
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by moremi2008(m): 1:18pm On Jun 07, 2011
As if the price-gouging in the cement market is not satisfactory. Nigerians now want Dangote to control Power. Massive groaning and suffering to soon follow. The truth is Nigeria has failed to develop the regulatory infrastructure to curb monopolies and Dangote is an example of that failure. Imagine somebody cornering the market for a commodity like cement in America and then charging 3x the market price!!! Ridiculous!
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by Maximip(m): 3:11pm On Jun 07, 2011
No Indians Joor. Anybody but them.
Re: Tata, Dangote, Essar Among Bidders For The Sale Of Nigeria Power Companies by Roland17(m): 3:39pm On Jun 07, 2011
Instead wen Dangote or any Indian to control power 4 9ija, make we go back to Nepa, we don suffer tooo much.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Approve The Four Newly Created 4 Emirates Or Be Dethroned, Kano Gov Tells Sanus / Kogi 2019: Ondo APC Sets Up Panel To Support Bello. / Some People Get N40k Palliative With No Lockdown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.