Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:17 AM

Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches (7077 Views)

Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? / Speaking In Tongues Medical Study Proves Holy Spirit Praying / Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by mummy3(f): 5:40pm On Jun 08, 2011
speaking in tongue is to make the devil confuse and scared of you, because the devil will feel you are trying to consult a greater power to come and deal with him or her for that he or she will flee
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by Azibalua(f): 5:53pm On Jun 08, 2011
FIRE
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by lagcity(m): 5:59pm On Jun 08, 2011
i can't even believe what i'm reading here. some ppl still believe in "speaking in tongues"? na wah ooo. i must go into church business smiley smiley
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by dare2think: 6:02pm On Jun 08, 2011
mummy3:

speaking in tongue is to make the devil confuse and scared of you, because the devil will feel you are trying to consult a greater power to come and deal with him or her for that he or she will flee

So, speaking the normal human language will not make the devil confuse?

what is going on?

undecided
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by Azibalua(f): 6:09pm On Jun 08, 2011
lagcity:

i can't even believe what i'm reading here. some ppl still believe in "speaking in tongues"? na wah ooo. i must go into church business smiley smiley
1. Church is not business
2. Why are we not supposed to believe inspeaking in tongues
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by PastorAIO: 6:13pm On Jun 08, 2011
1Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy. 2For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. 3But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. 4He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. 5I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

Let me paraphrase:

Follow charity, pursue Love first and foremost, and you can also desire spiritual gifts.  Of these it is best to be able to prophesy.  The person speaking in a language that no one understands cannot communicate with his fellow man but only to God, because no one else can understand him, even though the spirit may be speaking mysteries.  But the person that can prophesy tells people things that can build them up, encourage them and comfort them.  If you can speak foreign language you only build yourself up, but if you can prophesy then you build the whole church up.  I would like you to be able to speak in many languages, but I would prefer you to be able to prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than he who speaks in a foreign language, unless he is interpreted so the whole church can profit from it.

6Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine? 7And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped? 8For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle? 9So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air. 10There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification. 11Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me. 12Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

brodas and sistas if I come to you speaking many different languages wetin dey for you inside, unless I tell you something that is of value to you.  Everything in this world can make a sound (in fact empty barrels make the most sound). saxophone, piano, everything has a unique sound but if the sound they are making is incoherent (like babbling) then how can you appreciate the tune.  So unless you are speaking in a language that we all understand how can we know what you are saying.  There are many kinds of sounds and timbre in this world and all of them have their meaning.  But if I don't know the meaning of what a voice is saying then he is to me a foreigner and I a foreigner to him.  (Barbarikos is greek for foreigner)
βαρβαρικός LSJ, Middle Liddell 238 238 95 barbaric, foreign, like a foreigner
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/definitionlookup?type=begin&q=foreigner&target=greek
So if you know that you really want spiritual gifts then seek the gifts that can be edifying to the church.

13Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. 14For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. 16Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest? 17For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified. 18I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: 19Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.  

So let he who can speak in languages pray that he also has the gift of interpreting these languages. (by the way the word unknown is not in the original greek it is added, it just says 'glosse' which is language. ).  Afterall if I am praying in a foreign language, my spirit is praying but me myself I don't understand what is being said.  My understanding does not profit.  I don't gain anything.  Therefore it is better to pray with both the spirit and the understanding.  Or else if you're praying in the spirit how can you expect the man who doesn't understand what you're saying to say 'Amen' at your thanksgiving.  Are you yabbing him or are you blessing him he doesn't know, so don't blame him for not saying amen.  And maybe 'verily' (really, in actually fact, truly) you are giving thanks, but when they other guy is not edified don't blame him for his lack of response.  
Anyway sha you all know that I can speak many languages more than you, yet I would prefer to say only 5 words in a language that everybody can understand so that everybody can benefit.

Menh I don tire.  Let's leave it there.
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by maasoap(m): 6:57pm On Jun 08, 2011
Why do you need to understand what someone who is speaking/praying in tongue is saying when he himself doesn't understand he is saying? But next time, just listen attentively then you'll understand that he's repeating about 5 to 10 words.
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by Roland17(m): 6:58pm On Jun 08, 2011
i understand pastors in Nigeria are now teaching speaking in tongues on the board and also pitching.
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by Elpieda: 6:59pm On Jun 08, 2011
PASTOR AIO! WORD! Preach it, Thats a very good breakdown, I could not have said it better. May God open the eyes of present day Christians to take out time to dig deep and understand his word clearly rather than limit ourselves to what our pastors say on Sundays.

THank you Pastor AIO, I came to that understanding after studying the word by myself and sharing with other theologians. I pray everyone else can do the same so as to keep developing a more meaningful relationship with Christ
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by darqly(m): 7:09pm On Jun 08, 2011
A lot of lucid and really thorough responses here so far; What is unchanging is the scripture we're each quoting. I guess a lot is being lost in our individual translations.
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by Roland17(m): 7:46pm On Jun 08, 2011
The biggest problem with Christianity is that, people translate the meaning of bible passages to suite themselves and hope to force it on others, that is why we have all this divisions.
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by ogbori(m): 9:50pm On Jun 08, 2011
People will just quote anything to mislead themselves.

Paul wrote; The gift of the spirit are given to people as determined by the spirit, TO SOME HEALING, TO SOME TONGUE, TO SOME WORD OF WISDOM, etc.
He further said, DO ALL SPEAK IN TONGUE, OR HEAL, IS EVERYONE A TEACHER . . angry

He futher said, I do rather few people (one or two) speak in tongue in the church when there are no interpreters. Again, the spirit of the prophet is subjected to the prophet. You dont have to lie, by shouting just to let your neighbour know you do speak. It means you can do it, when its genuine, quietly, and you still have control of yourself. undecided

Tongue is made a thing you acquire by practice now to get now in churches. Infact, its like an exclation mark in sentences. Alot of people fake it.
I ask a lady if she goes to church, her answer was; I EVEN SPEAK IN TONGUE, and she started speaking it immediately . That kind tongue and abuse , me i no know .
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by PastorAIO: 10:06pm On Jun 08, 2011
ogbori:

Tongue is made a thing you acquire by practice now to get now in churches. Infact, its like an exclation mark in sentences. Alot of people fake it.
I ask a lady if she goes to church, her answer was; I EVEN SPEAK IN TONGUE, and she started speaking it immediately . That kind tongue and abuse , me i no know .

It is true, o boboshalamoroockakakakaka!
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jun 08, 2011
Ogbori, Pastor_AIO and Anvaller:  kiss kiss kiss

Brilliant Submissions.

It boggles my mind to see most Nigerian pentecostals regurgitate what their pastors feed them without actually studying the scriptures.

really sad.
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by PastorAIO: 10:09pm On Jun 08, 2011
uhonmora:

Ogbori, Pastor_AIO and Anvaller:  kiss kiss kiss

Brilliant Submissions.

It boggles my mind to see most Nigerian pentecostals regurgitate what their pastors feed them without actually studying the scriptures.

really sad.

What is even more mindboggling, in fact downright scary, is the fact that many of our nation's leaders do the same. Obj, Goodluck, all a dem, they all speak in babbling tongues. We are in trouble. Serious trouble.
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by JAZES(m): 11:18pm On Jun 08, 2011
@Pastor Aio,
Its obvious you really don't understand the "FOUNDATION"
Apostle Paul was trying to lay and the message he was trying
to pass across to the Corithians Church.

Lets start from the beginning, Jesus said expressly
that the gift of speaking in tongues is for the believers.
Speaking in tongues is our heritage as a christian
Mark 16:16-17 "He that believeth and is baptized shall be
saved but he that believeth not shall be damned.
VS17: And these signs shall follow that believe,in my name
shall they cast out devils,they shall speak with new tongues"

The subject of tongues was never a topic for argument in the early
church, in fact it was a sign that a man just got saved. After the pentecost
experience speaking in tongues becomes a sign of getting saved. You know a christian
by the fact that he speaks in tongues.

The in filling of the Spirit is a way of life for the Church.
In Acts 6:2-4. They chose deacons based on the fact that they filled with the spirit.

In Acts 9:17, we saw Ananias prayed for Apostle Paul and also he was immediately filled
with the spirit as a sign of receiving christ Jesus.
You will notice that Jesus told Paul to go to the city where he found someone who will
minister to him(Acts9:2-6) and that is exactly what he did.

In Acts 10, we saw Peter praying and he fell into trance. Eventually he went to preach the
gospel to Cornlius(who was not saved at that time) and immediately we saw him speak in tongues
even to the amazement of Apostle Peter and others that are with him. Please Read Acts10:30-48.
Please notice that in Acts 10:44-47 that even while Peter is still preaching to them they immediately
starts speaking in tongues.
If u read further you will notice that through out the book of Acts that immediately people
got saved they also speak with Tongues without stress.
Same thing happen in Acts 19 and so on.
Speaking intongues in the book of Acts was never an issue but rather it was a way of life
for the church then.They dont see it as "Babbling tongues" as you ignorantly put it because
they know the importance of praying in tongues.
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by PastorAIO: 11:33pm On Jun 08, 2011
When it says they spoke with tongues I believe that it is a language that they were speaking. Not bobobobsibashaka. Come on! I didn't say there was no thing as speaking in tongues. I said that babbling nonsense syllables is not what is referred to but a real language is being spoken. Do you understand what I am saying?
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by JAZES(m): 11:48pm On Jun 08, 2011
Pastor AIO:

When it says they spoke with tongues I believe that it is a language that they were speaking. Not bobobobsibashaka. Come on! I didn't say there was no thing as speaking in tongues. I said that babbling nonsense syllables is not what is referred to but a real language is being spoken. Do you understand what I am saying?

I laugh at your ignorance, it is clear in scriptures that its not ordinary
language we speak when we speak in tongues.
I think it is very insulting for you to even try to box speaking in the Spirit to ordinary language.

Ephesians 5: 18-19 makes it clear that we speak in the Spirit.
Ephesians 6:18 says the same thing.
Jude20 emphasize it.

Mr Pastor, when we speak in tongues we speak in the Spirit and that is expressly clear
in the bible.

I need to rest now, when am fully awake i will give you the background story of the whole book of
Corinthians and i will let you see the foundation Apostle Paul was trying to lay for the corithians Church
in 1CORITHIANS.

PS: Let us learn to read the bible in context because thats the only way you can understand God's word.
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by PastorAIO: 12:02am On Jun 09, 2011
JAZES:

I laugh at your ignorance, it is clear in scriptures that its not ordinary
language we speak when we speak in tongues.
I think it is very insulting for you to even try to box speaking in the Spirit to ordinary language.

Ephesians 5: 18-19 makes it clear that we speak in the Spirit.
Ephesians 6:18 says the same thing.
Jude20 emphasize it.

Mr Pastor, when we speak in tongues we speak in the Spirit and that is expressly clear
in the bible.

I need to rest now, when am fully awake i will give you the background story of the whole book of
Corinthians and i will let you see the foundation Apostle Paul was trying to lay for the corithians Church
in 1CORITHIANS.

PS: Let us learn to read the bible in context because thats the only way you can understand God's word.

Rest sir, and when you are ready come and share with us what you believe. I am ever willing to learn.
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by Skii(m): 1:42am On Jun 09, 2011
Roland17:

The biggest problem with Christianity is that, people translate the meaning of bible passages to suite themselves and hope to force it on others, that is why we have all this divisions.

GBAMM!
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by MeandSum: 3:12am On Jun 09, 2011
mummy3:

Are you guys this stupid or this is a joke? according to those collection of fairytale you guys read call the bible, the devil was beside god when he was creating everything. So, we can safely assume the devil speaks all languages. Who were you trying to confuse again? LMAO grin grin grin
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by Nobody: 7:00am On Jun 09, 2011
MeandSum:

Are you guys this silly or this is a joke? according to those collection of fairytale you guys read call the bible, the devil was beside god when he was creating everything. So, we can safely assume the devil speaks all languages. Who were you trying to confuse again? LMAO grin grin grin

Be very careful before the wrath of god descends on you, as you can see, he's getting very pissed off. Osho brobo kaba la!!!

Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by mabell: 7:57am On Jun 09, 2011
There shows your level maturity
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by marabout(m): 9:02am On Jun 09, 2011
In a world full of lies and deceit, people are just desperate to believe in something.
So we deliberately switch off any sense of rationale.

Life would otherwise be too brutal, wouldn't it?

That mostly only Nigerians speak in tongues is beyond me. But then again we probably have more fake medicine, fake nollywood films, fake shnapps, fake currency etc in circulation than anywhere else, so why should we not have abundant religious fakes as well? grin grin
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by Nobody: 9:05am On Jun 09, 2011
mabell:

There shows your level maturity

Coming from a member of CE? lmao, you're a few brain cells away from being clinically ret_rded.

Anyway, angry jesus speaking in tongues. Oshri bibi gio. OOOOhhhhhh bal bla kolorishi fiz gbat ti miri.

Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by Sike(m): 9:37am On Jun 09, 2011
Holychabarakabaishanoku!!!
Oh oh! *covers mouth*
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by ikhideman(m): 10:02am On Jun 09, 2011
@Poster:

You dont have to be confused, if you are using your head(flesh) to understand spiritual things, you'd definitely not get answers. Let the HolySpirit guide you while you are studying the Bible, and revelation would definitely come from Him via your inner man(your renewed spirit). Medidate on 1 Corinthians 14:2 & 4 & 14a. When a believer prays/speaks in tongues, he's first of all communicating with God (the Father of Spirits) & also edifying himself.

Were there's interpretation of the tongues, its for the benefit of the church; otherwise, its for the individual.Check out 1 Cor.14:5.

Cheers

@Mr Bible: Be careful how you talk and use words(especially if u r a born-again christian).

@Joagbaje: My man, long time; haven't been seeing your comments till recently. Keep up the good work; we pray that soon confused minds would be made clear, to understand things spiritual truths.
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by dorox(m): 11:10am On Jun 09, 2011
mummy3:

Thank you for the clarification, I now understand why you speak in tongues. It is because praying in the name of your 'Jesus' is no longer powerful enough to scare the devil and your 'God' is too weak and cowardly to confront the devil directly on your behalf. That is why He has invented a coded language to prevent the devil from eavesdropping when you pray to Him otherwise the devil can disrupt his wonderful plans for you.
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by Nobody: 11:16am On Jun 09, 2011
@ikhideman
@Mr Bible: Be careful how you talk and use words(especially if u r a born-again christian).
[size=15pt]I'm a true worshipper the kind of worshipers the Father seeks not these lie-again christian that call themselves born-again christian.[/size]
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by ikhideman(m): 1:23pm On Jun 09, 2011
@Dorox & Mummy3

Don't confuse praying in the name of Jesus & praying in tongues, they don't conflict.

Praying in tongues takes us beyond our understanding to the realm of the spiritual - were there's no limit. Hence, when we pray in the spirit, we are praying the mind of God concerning any matter.

All our prayers in our understanding are & shld be done in the Name of Jesus; it means we are going to God thru' Jesus, & we can expect a positive result because God sees us In Him (Jesus).
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by Joagbaje(m): 3:06pm On Jun 09, 2011
@ ikhideman

ikhideman:

@Joagbaje: My man, long time; haven't been seeing your comments till recently. Keep up the good work; we pray that soon confused minds would be made clear, to understand things spiritual truths.

Welcome back, I think I've been a little more frequent than you. But I've been a litle tight since yesterday. Im painting in my studio, working towards an exhibition in lagos, for July. Pls let me have your e mail
Re: Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches by mabell: 6:53pm On Jun 09, 2011
Martian:

Anyway, angry jesus speaking in tongues. Oshri bibi gio. OOOOhhhhhh bal bla kolorishi fiz gbat ti miri.

not surprised at all

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Angels: What Do They Look Like? Do They Have Power? / Is Everyone Born With Original Sin? / Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.