Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,825 members, 7,813,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:54 PM

Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) (12115 Views)

Let's Be Fair; Jonathan Has Done Well On The Economy. By Sam Ohuabunwa. / Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe / Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by OAM4J: 3:47am On Jun 11, 2011
Oh my!!!  My Grandad used to play this music all day until it became part of everyone in the house, but I only got the messsage of the song after I grew up. Profound!

[flash=480,390]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSEP6GQhneM[/flash]
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by EkoIle1: 5:04am On Jun 11, 2011
After reading the article again, I'm convinced the 96 year old woman did not write RE: Obviously, it was written by the same in house cowards at the Tribune.

What a travesty.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by ektbear: 5:38am On Jun 11, 2011
Eko Ile:

I asked because you used that phrase at least 3 times in different threads and situations. I don't like and I'm not a fan are 2 different things. I'm not trying to dictate to you who or what you should like and dislike, I was just curious for my own good like say maybe you folks know something about this guy that I don't know because I do understand the rubbish thrown at him by the ibo hate mongers and bigots on NL, not from sane and rational folks.

I don't know the man personally, but I do know a lot about him as a politician and a public figure, I'm yet to see anything to dislike him for because all his moves as a politician, activist and advocate on behalf of his people so far has been very beneficial.

Lagos is not in the hands of the PDP because this man fought selflessly, single handedly and stake his life to fight the establishment even during Abacha era.

OBJ/PDP starved Lagos state financially for 8 long years, but the great state of Lagos did not fall apart or go bankrupt under Tinubu

We are proud as Lagosians and blessed with the best Governor in Nigeria because of his great foresight, sense and wisdom

We praise Fashola who is a great administrator and a fine man and also because of all the great stuff he's doing in Lagos, but most of it was laid down by Tinubu from Eko Atlantic to BRT, Lekki free trade zone and many innovations within Lagos state.

Many clueless folks attribute the ownership of Alpha Beta to Tinubu, but the same people will tell you that Lagos is ahead simply because of it's ability to generate huge IGR, but who made that possible? Tinubu of course. Who made Lagos state the most tax effective state in Nigeria? Tinubu of curse.

And so what if the company belongs to him? I repeat again, so what?

The company is providing a great service and is getting compensated for doing a great job. I know deep down, many of these haters wish they have their own Alpha Beta to generate  needed funds to develop like Lagos. It's not only incompetent not to have a company like Alpha Beta, it's criminal.

They claim this and that company belongs to Tinubu, So what? Is it against the law to own businesses in Nigeria? In fact, I hope these entities are his because one thing I like about rich folks in Nigeria like Tinubu is he fact that they invest and spend their money at home to develop their states, to empower their own people and transform their economies, this jells with the mans commitment to the development and advancement of his people.

He left office and still decided to use his capacity as a politician to fight for his people, to liberate his people and reclaim every inch of Yoruba land, he gave us hope, pride and a better future.

Today, the SW is a major political force in Nigeria and we are getting our dues in pounds all because of one man's efforts and selfless service and the man's name is Bola Tinubu.

So far, his moves and decisions on behalf of his people from his days as the governor of Lagos state till this very second are spot on and straight on Target.

People are free to spew their baseless and unfounded rumors about the man, but when a man dares the EFCC, his enemies from OBJ to GEJ to arrest or incriminate him with anything or STFU and his still walking around without any kind of immunity, cleaning their clocks and instead of touching him, they are sending presidential planes to ferry him around and begging him for favors, obviously, they have nothing on him. The EFCC have all the tools in the world to locate his wealth, they have his files, they know where he keeps and how he makes his money and if for what ever reason they still can not nail him, he's simply the smartest and the cleanest Nigerian politician.

I'm a realist and I deal with reality, till this man is nailed for something in front of us all, he remains a great public servant.

Again, I'm not dictating to you who to like or dislike, just trying to find out if there is something out there you know that I don't know.

It makes no sense to say you dislike without any reason to justify your dislike.

My take-

Hrm. Good post.

I'm having difficulty articulating my feelings. Basically, I overall think he is a force for good, but do not trust him completely. Does this kind of make sense? It probably doesn't. Hrm.

I'm not communicating well.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by EkoIle1: 5:50am On Jun 11, 2011
ekt_bear:

Hrm. Good post.

I'm having difficulty articulating my feelings. Basically, I overall think he is a force for good, but do not trust him completely. Does this kind of make sense? It probably doesn't. Hrm.

I'm not communicating well.

Point very well taken.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by misterh(m): 9:40am On Jun 11, 2011
I think Tinubu is under EFCC's searchlight, that's so unlike Awo,
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Alxmyr(m): 10:43am On Jun 11, 2011
The article is needless and very unintelligent to say the least.

When Awolowo-Dosumu contested in the 90s, they said Yorubas cannot serve her father and still expected to serve the daughter.
And by and large, she is the only one that has shown keen interest in politics.
Chief Oluwole Awolowo is a businessman and an evangelist.
The children can decide which profession they want to join.
Olusegun Awolowo is a director in government agency.
Some other grand children are living a private life.
They must not be in politics.

Tinubu rode on the back of Fashola's performance in Lagos to get into South west, does that mean other SW state will be better.
Take for instance, Tinubu's puppet in Osun is about 7 months in government now, he has not appointed a single commissioner. So how are the ministries in the state being run.
The only state in SW that can survive on its own is Lagos, without Federal Government, states like Osun, Ekiti, will be grounded.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by RoadStar: 12:31pm On Jun 11, 2011
Well thought out article but point of correction.

Edo voted for Oshiomoles ACN, and not Awo !
Just as some in Anambra voted Ngige ove Dora and will probably vote in in the next guber elections over Obi.
Got nothing 2 do wit Awo.

Please leave Edo out of this.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by EkoIle1: 3:49pm On Jun 11, 2011
Alxmyr:

The article is needless and very unintelligent to say the least.

When Awolowo-Dosumu contested in the 90s, they said Yorubas cannot serve her father and still expected to serve the daughter.
And by and large, she is the only one that has shown keen interest in politics.
Chief Oluwole Awolowo is a businessman and an evangelist.
The children can decide which profession they want to join.
Olusegun Awolowo is a director in government agency.
Some other grand children are living a private life.
They must not be in politics.
[b]
Tinubu rode on the back of Fashola's performance in Lagos to get into South west, does that mean other SW state will be better.[/b]Take for instance, Tinubu's puppet in Osun is about 7 months in government now, he has not appointed a single commissioner. So how are the ministries in the state being run.
The only state in SW that can survive on its own is Lagos, without Federal Government, states like Osun, Ekiti, will be grounded.

BS. It's the other way around, Fashola is riding on Tinubu's paved road and road map, most of the things we are enjoying in Lagos today was designed by Tinubu, it's a team effort and both men complement each other.

If Tinubu didn't fight to save Lagos from the incompetent hands of the PDP and OBJ, there wont be the Lagos of today, there wont be Fashola or any thing about the best governor in Nigeria.

You can not rewrite our histroy with your hate and misguided understanding of facts on the ground.

You don't have to play politics or do what you father did, but you can not use your father's and husband's legacy to attack, insult and work against the interest of your own people and the same people your husband voiced for and served.

Many will do anything to protect the legacy of their parents and spouces especially a man like Awolowo, not tarnish by trashing the man's ideals and working against the people their father and husband labored for and gave his life fighting. These cowards are doing it while hiding behind the man's legacy because they know people respect the man and wont go after the family for their shady practices.

I sgtrongly commend the writer for his bravery and for doing what many people are too scared to do.

Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Alxmyr(m): 5:37pm On Jun 11, 2011
Eko Ile:

BS. It's the other way around, Fashola is riding on Tinubu's paved road and road map, most of the things we are enjoying in Lagos today was designed by Tinubu, it's a team effort and both men complement each other.

If Tinubu didn't fight to save Lagos from the incompetent hands of the PDP and OBJ, there wont be the Lagos of today, there wont be Fashola or any thing about the best governor in Nigeria.

You can not rewrite our histroy with your hate and misguided understanding of facts on the ground.

You don't have to play politics or do what you father did, but you can not use your father's and husband's legacy to attack, insult and work against the interest of your own people and the same people your husband voiced for and served.

Many will do anything to protect the legacy of their parents and spouces especially a man like Awolowo, not tarnish by trashing the man's ideals and working against the people their father and husband labored for and gave his life fighting. These cowards are doing it while hiding behind the man's legacy because they know people respect the man and wont go after the family for their shady practices.

I sgtrongly commend the writer for his bravery and for doing what many people are too scared to do.

You must be an alien to think I will buy your crap.
What has the Awolowo family done to does not protect the legacy of Awolowo?
Must you be in ACN to protect Awolowo legacy?
You and your uninformed writer reasoned upside down.
Whatever Tinubu fought for, it has no bearing in Awolowo legacy, he carve a niche for himself and he must be commended as such.
For a deranged mind to cast aspersion on Mama H.I.D. because she is not in Abeokuta when a governor is sworn in is by far myopic and unfortunate.
Since the death of her husband, she has never involved in partisan politics. Even in the days of Afenifere under Chief Ajasin and Adesanya, she is not an attendee, why attack her?
And for someone to question paternity of the children of Awolowo put a question mark on the sanity of such person.
If you call his action bravery, you are entitled to your definition of bravery.
I commend you, your lu-natic writer and his sponsors to posterity

1 Like

Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by EkoIle1: 6:11pm On Jun 11, 2011
Alxmyr:

You must be an alien to think I will buy your crap.
What has the Awolowo family done to does not protect the legacy of Awolowo?
Must you be in ACN to protect Awolowo legacy?

I need you to answer the following questions.

How do you champion Awo's legacy? By joining the same people he fought against?

Did Awo created the Tribune to be the voice of the oppressed or the oppressor?

Would Awo have joined the PDP

Who did the people of the SW picked to run their affairs? ACN/Tinubu or the PDP/Tribune and Awolowo Family

Btw, she's knee deep in partisan politics, she's the head and chairmain of the Tribune and the people she hired, that she's paying and the Tribune Awolowo created to speak on behalf of the masses are attacking the people of the SW and their leaders daily on behalf of the PDP. Now tell me, is this Awolow's ideals?

Do you even know the meaning of ideal and legacy

Answer the questions and save yourself from your own ignorance.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Wizardofoz: 7:23pm On Jun 11, 2011
Eko Ile:

I need you to answer the following questions.

How do you champion Awo's legacy? By joining the same people he fought against?

People like Ebenezar Babatope? So Ebenezar Babatope fought against Awo?

Pray tell, when?

Would Awo have joined the PDP

Awo is a progressive. A great thinker, who was way ahead of his time. Awo would have joined forces with eminent people like Ekwueme to move this country forward.  The question is not if he would have joined PDP, because he would have. The question is: would there have been an ACN? Which is very questionable.

Awo is a selfless Nigerian. He did not start/wanted to be a leader. There was a void, which he naturally filled. He was loved by his peers, respected by his adversaries, feared by his opponents, admired by neutral observers, trusted by those older than him. Awo would have stayed in PDP and would not have been intimidated by Ekwueme or any one else for that matter. Once Bola Ige and Adesanya realized that Ekwueme was most likely going to get the ticket, they chose to leave to found ANPP. If it were Awo, he would most likely, have stayed, and maybe fight for his place, no matter how long it took to get his opportunity.

Awolowo realised that it was impossible to convince the Igbo people to vote for any other candidate once the great Zik was in the race. It was too late for him to have a rethink since he had already chosen Chief Philip Umeadi as vice-president. The choice of Umeadi baffled his supporters. Analysts thought it was a defective move and a political miscalculation ab initio. Worse, that strategy was now woefully undermined by the sudden entry of Zik. What to do? He could not dump Umeadi if he was not to look unserious but chose to write a flattering letter to Zik, the Owelle of Onitsha, imploring him to join forces with him and that he was ready to serve under him as the “chief servant” of the Federation or executive Vice President. This was a repetition of his 1959 offer.
http://m.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201009190275692

That is Awo for you. Country first, before self aggrandizement.

Further more, reminiscent of what Ekwueme proposed to Afenifere when they met in Lagos at the initial stages of forming PDP, when he proposed a power sharing formula that looked like what Awo sought with Zik:

Awo knew that if both of them worked together, the presidency would be in the bag and Nigeria would be better for it. (Awo complained in an unpublished interview with this author in Owo in 1978 that Zik came into the race purposely to hurt his chances.)[size=18pt] If they collaborated, they could take the presidency in an election walk-over in a ‘co-habitation’ compromise[/size] (splitting the prize by holding office one after the other in a pre- arranged two-year formula to complete the four-year official tenure). This could be procured through a gentleman’s agreement because Zik disliked written pacts

From the above, it is very clear that Awo would have taken the power sharing formula with Ekwueme, and then moved on with it, FOR THE INTEREST OF THE COUNTRY. After all, this is life, REAL LIFE I MAY ADD, you win some, and you lose so many. But when you win, hold on to it.

Simply stated, in response to your question, Awo from what we know would have stayed in PDP, and there would not have been any reason to create AD, let alone Asiwaju Company of Nigeria, and allowed it be hijacked by a out of know where, 'omo-irankiran' mother less druggy.

Who did the people of the SW picked to run their affairs? ACN/Tinubu or the PDP/Tribune and Awolowo Family

Dont be too flippant. The SW is yet to pick anyone. And BTW the Awo family arent in politics.

ACN barely won OGUN, Oyo and Ondo; 52%, 34%  and 20% respectively. Osun is a toss-up and Ekiti is most likely going to go to PDP in the next election.

Btw, she's knee deep in partisan politics, she's the head and chairmain of the Tribune and the people she hired, that she's paying and the Tribune Awolowo created to speak on behalf of the masses are attacking the people of the SW and their leaders daily on behalf of the PDP. Now tell me, is this Awolow's ideals?

Whatever delusion you have in your head, please keep it there. Tribune isnt attacking the people of the SW. I dont feel that way, and eminent people like Fashola, fasoranti, Adebanjo, OGD, Ooni, Okunrounmu, Durojaiye et al dont feel that way. And those people are the real leaders of the SW, not some random 58 yr old man born twice; once in 1952 in Iragbiji osun-State and again, like Jesus Christ, in 1954 to one famous surrogate mother by the name Abibatu Mogaji from the illustrious 'Tinubu' family.

Do you even know the meaning of ideal and legacy

No. Maybe you should tell us. I have a feeling it involves not completing secondary school education, lying about it, claiming to have attended one of the most prestigious secondary schools in Nigeria, GCI, eloping to America under a  false name under false pretense,  and somehow, like Houdini, turning an $18000/year 9-5 desk job with Mobil to more that half a million dollars savings two years after, with no registered business to his name, having been questioned for money laundering and 'white powder' distribution not minding .
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Katsumoto: 7:36pm On Jun 11, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Stop that nonsense; don't soil Awo's legacy and name.

Awo would never have joined a legion of thieves such as those in the PDP. You are taking this your defence too far.

Enough is enough. Kilode gan

I said it before and ill say it again; you are incapable of being objective.

You will twist all manner of logic and resort to conjecture to prove a useless point.

Imagine the nonsense; Awo in PDP.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by seanet02: 8:46pm On Jun 11, 2011
It is silly to think Ekwueme is a real progressive which he has never been. 79 he was not and now he is not. Even Awolowo will not have remained in a Party that holds Power for more than 12 years and yet can not provide regular power supply despite all the enormous amount spent on the Projects. Awo will never have mingle with the likes of IBB, Uba, Akala, OGD, Ibori, igbinedon and Oni who were so dubious and wicked to the extent that they unleash terror on people just to win an election, he would never have Submitted Fake Call Logs to Malign a Respectable Justice. He would never have Endorse somebody who annuled the best election in the history of Nigeria without any reason like Ekwueme endorsing IBB. Let us be reasonable in our discussion
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jun 11, 2011
Awo in PDP? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked. Nothing wey person no go read for NL o
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by EkoIle1: 9:36pm On Jun 11, 2011
Wizardofoz:

People like Ebenezar Babatope? So Ebenezar Babatope fought against Awo?

Pray tell, when?

Awo is a progressive. A great thinker, who was way ahead of his time. Awo would have joined forces with eminent people like Ekwueme to move this country forward. The question is not if he would have joined PDP, because he would have. The question is: would there have been an ACN? Which is very questionable.

Awo is a selfless Nigerian. He did not start/wanted to be a leader. There was a void, which he naturally filled. He was loved by his peers, respected by his adversaries, feared by his opponents, admired by neutral observers, trusted by those older than him. Awo would have stayed in PDP and would not have been intimidated by Ekwueme or any one else for that matter. Once Bola Ige and Adesanya realized that Ekwueme was most likely going to get the ticket, they chose to leave to found ANPP. If it were Awo, he would most likely, have stayed, and maybe fight for his place, no matter how long it took to get his opportunity.

That is Awo for you. Country first, before self aggrandizement.

Further more, reminiscent of what Ekwueme proposed to Afenifere when they met in Lagos at the initial stages of forming PDP, when he proposed a power sharing formula that looked like what Awo sought with Zik:

From the above, it is very clear that Awo would have taken the power sharing formula with Ekwueme, and then moved on with it, FOR THE INTEREST OF THE COUNTRY. After all, this is life, REAL LIFE I MAY ADD, you win some, and you lose so many. But when you win, hold on to it.

Simply stated, in response to your question, Awo from what we know would have stayed in PDP, and there would not have been any reason to create AD, let alone Asiwaju Company of Nigeria, and allowed it be hijacked by a out of know where, 'omo-irankiran' mother less druggy.

Dont be too flippant. The SW is yet to pick anyone. And BTW the Awo family arent in politics.

ACN barely won OGUN, Oyo and Ondo; 52%, 34% and 20% respectively. Osun is a toss-up and Ekiti is most likely going to go to PDP in the next election.

Whatever delusion you have in your head, please keep it there. Tribune isnt attacking the people of the SW. I dont feel that way, and eminent people like Fashola, fasoranti, Adebanjo, OGD, Ooni, Okunrounmu, Durojaiye et al dont feel that way. And those people are the real leaders of the SW, not some random 58 yr old man born twice; once in 1952 in Iragbiji osun-State and again, like Jesus Christ, in 1954 to one famous surrogate mother by the name Abibatu Mogaji from the illustrious 'Tinubu' family.

No. Maybe you should tell us. I have a feeling it involves not completing secondary school education, lying about it, claiming to have attended one of the most prestigious secondary schools in Nigeria, GCI, eloping to America under a false name under false pretense, and somehow, like Houdini, turning an $18000/year 9-5 desk job with Mobil to more that half a million dollars savings two years after, with no registered business to his name, having been questioned for money laundering and 'white powder' distribution not minding .

1. I didn't quote you

2. I didn't ask you any question

3 I didn't ask you to bother me with your mindless and ridiculous rubbish

4. keep your rubbish to yourself.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by emmatok(m): 10:23pm On Jun 11, 2011
Sorry, to all Tinubu's worshipers.

The Tinubu that you worship will never ever insult Anybody in AWO's family.

Even Wole Shoyinka will never insult anybody in AWO's family

Because Tinubu as at today is riding on AWOLOWO's achievements.

That fool called Mr. Sam Omatseye should do him-self a favor,

Go apologize for your insult on Awo's family.

You don't insult an elder Yoruba LAND.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Kilode1: 11:47pm On Jun 11, 2011
Awolowo's Family is not the same thing as Obafemi Awolowo.

That said, Tinubu is not a God neither was Awolowo. We need to stop focusing on mere individuals, ordinary mortals and their psychotic sense of self-importance sef undecided

If Omatseye is going to apologize for his article, that is his problem. I hope The Tribune titles will apologize for the joke they've become over the years.

Oluwole Awolowo has failed miserably at his job as a publisher. We can respect HID and extol her virtue as a mother, but we owe Oluwole nothing but condemnation for the mess he has turned the Tribune into by constantly assaulting our senses with a stupid newspaper filled with sycophantic reports that neither elevated nor edify the Truth on behalf of the people.

A Tribune serving the needs of a Central government bent on oppressing the same folks Awolowo fought to uplift is the ultimate betrayal of Awo's legacy.

They should all stop dragging our people into their silly fights, we need performers not tin gods and self-appointed political Dynasties(more like jobbers) with no developmental achievements to speak of.

I don't care about Tinubu and I don't give a damn about Awolowo's off springs, let our leaders get to work and fix the region. That's all that matters.

GDP per capita is still the lowest among OPEC countries at below 2k, education is still abysmally poor, and poverty and unemployment are still as high as Idanre Hills.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jun 20, 2011
If Awo was a great man what made his wife a great woman? When Tribune was casting aspersion on the person of Tinubu and ACN did she cough?

Tinubu is the dawn of a new era,let the 95yrs old play with her great grand children,a receive the homage she is accustomed to.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Lanrefemi: 9:13pm On Jun 20, 2011
It's really sad to read what a lot of people have been writing on this thread. but I think it's mainly due to ignorance.

Sam Omatseye made a reference about Awo's children not following or carrying the political baton of their dad! But should political positions be hereditary? or are you saying His children doesn't have the right to chose whatever profession or career of their choice apart from politics?

Sam Omatseye made a reference about Awo coming back to divorce Mama H.I.D after death if it's possible! I think this is rude and uncalled for, Mama HI.D is a mother to most people be it politicians in ACN, PDP or whatever, whoever comes to her house she welcomes, that's what elders do, elders doesn't segregate, so you don't expect a 95year old woman to be partisan.

Thirdly, Sam Omatseye's reference to Late Segun Awolowo (Awo's first son) is uncalled for, it's cruel as well, what's the point of opening old wounds or taunting the old woman with her lost son.

Sam Omatseye should know that Awoism is an ideology not just for the Awo's family but for all Awoist. Harold wilson (a former british prime minister) said it that Awolowo is one of the most visionary human being he ever came across and that he lived ahead of his time, even Babangida couldn't deny the fact that Awo is the best president Nigeria never had.

I implore Omatseye to research on the works, books and journals of Awolowo, he should study what Awolowo wrote about governance, leadership, youth, free education, free health, sport development, media and journalism etc years ago, and how these things are still relevant and will continue to be relevant.

Lastly, people like Awo, Zik, Balewa, enahoro, has done their best for nigeria, instead of trying to analyse or de-humanising their legacies we should be focusing on the legacy we (present generations) are going to leave for our children.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by stormm: 8:36am On Jun 21, 2011
Do people understand what they read at all? Are contributors on this forum actually aware of political events around them? Perhaps for a few lines that are out of order by Omatseye, I can't fathom what the hue about Tinubu is all about.
'Mama' is the founder and convener of Yoruba Forum, a political group supposedly made of all elected politicians and active between 2007 - date. I'm sure the likes of OGD and other SW PDP govs, looking to gain political leverage provided funding for that rubbish.
'Mama' is active, aware and conscious of her survival, hence her association with the PDP and their negative policies. 'Mama' wined and dined with the oppressors of her people. It is the resurgence of progressive politics, championed by Tinubu that 'Mama' saw as a challenge to the family survival, hence the onslaught against those who wanted a govt that will serve the majority.
For those who doubt the survival theory, maybe they can point at one company headed by an Awolowo that is today a thriving business. Even Tribune was kinda revived a few years ago and can not boast of a quarter of Punch's print run.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by EkoIle1: 8:45am On Jun 21, 2011
stormm:

Do people understand what they read at all? Are contributors on this forum actually aware of political events around them? Perhaps for a few lines that are out of order by Omatseye, I can't fathom what the hue about Tinubu is all about.
'Mama' is the founder and convener of Yoruba Forum, a political group supposedly made of all elected politicians and active between 2007 - date. I'm sure the likes of OGD and other SW PDP govs, looking to gain political leverage provided funding for that rubbish.
'Mama' is active, aware and conscious of her survival, hence her association with the PDP and their negative policies. 'Mama' wined and dined with the oppressors of her people. It is the resurgence of progressive politics, championed by Tinubu that 'Mama' saw as a challenge to the family survival, hence the onslaught against those who wanted a govt that will serve the majority.

For those who doubt the survival theory, maybe they can point at one company headed by an Awolowo that is today a thriving business. Even Tribune was kinda revived a few years ago and can not boast of a quarter of Punch's print run.

Basically,
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by emmatok(m): 8:19pm On Jun 21, 2011
stormm:

You TINUBU fan won't let this issue die down.

So because MAMA decide to go with a political party, every dick and harry can now insult her.

Can you imagine that Itsekiri man writing trash about MAMA AWOLOWO , because of her political alliance.

Yet some TINUBU and his followers won't let the issue rest.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by porka: 10:27pm On Jun 21, 2011
stormm:

Oga wa, your political awareness is in question. Are you saying you did not know Tinubu's role in emasculating Afenifere, a group representing Awoism post 1999? You must just be arriving from Mars not to know Afenifere's role in Tinubu's ascendancy to Lagos governorship in 1999, over Funsho Williams, arguably the best political strategist Lagos has ever produced. You must be very insincere not to mention Tinubu's morbid power mongering in demonizing his benefactors using the Lagos media guys initially and the Omatseyes recently. You are talking of 'challenge to family survival', survival of what? Anybody with little intelligence knows that this article is off-the-mark. There are some dos and donts in political business especially in Yorubaland, one of the donts is to never insult Awo, or anything Awo and I doubt if there's anything more Awo than his family. I don't know how Tinubu can survive this battle judging by past experience. For your information, all the hatred of Obj by the Yoruba is a result of his allegedly crossing a political line. It goes down to MKO who was hated passionately until the June 12 matter came up. One of the reasons I can't be convinced that Omatseye's article did not have Tinubu's blessings is the way he responded by writing Mama and giving it prominence in newspaper. Haba! That's what HID is worth, a mere letter, and so written in some condescending language leaked to the press? When your drum is sounding too loudly, it is about to burst!
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by EkoIle1: 11:22pm On Jun 21, 2011
porka:

Oga wa, your political awareness is in question. Are you saying you did not know Tinubu's role in emasculating Afenifere, a group representing Awoism post 1999? You must just be arriving from Mars not to know Afenifere's role in Tinubu's ascendancy to Lagos governorship in 1999, over Funsho Williams, arguably the best political strategist Lagos has ever produced. You must be very insincere not to mention Tinubu's morbid power mongering in demonizing his benefactors using the Lagos media guys initially and the Omatseyes recently. You are talking of 'challenge to family survival', survival of what? Anybody with little intelligence knows that this article is off-the-mark. There are some dos and donts in political business especially in Yorubaland, one of the donts is to never insult Awo, or anything Awo and I doubt if there's anything more Awo than his family. I don't know how Tinubu can survive this battle judging by past experience. For your information, all the hatred of Obj by the Yoruba is a result of his allegedly crossing a political line. It goes down to MKO who was hated passionately until the June 12 matter came up. One of the reasons I can't be convinced that Omatseye's article did not have Tinubu's blessings is the way he responded by writing Mama and giving it prominence in newspaper. Haba! That's what HID is worth, a mere letter, and so written in some condescending language leaked to the press? When your drum is sounding too loudly, it is about to burst!

In your warped understanding of Yoruba people, the same rights and wrongs rule allows HID and the Awo family to use the Tribune to attack, abuse, ridicule and insult other people in Yorubaland because they don't subscribe to her money hungry and dining with the devil/PDP ways?

Yoruba people say agba ti ko ba mo ara re la gba aman fi iru wan wole ni. I'll let you translate that if you really know anything about Yoruba people.

Omatseye is a brave man and a fearless journalist, too bad many of our journalists are cash and carry journalists with no principle and sense of porpoise.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Ndipe(m): 3:26am On Jun 22, 2011
What role did Awolowo play in the Biafrian war?

Another question is this, what's the bone of contention between Tinubu and the Awolowo's? I dont quite understand the story, or could it be that Tinubu wants to be the leader of the Yorubas and the Awolowo's family are saying no to his ambition on the fact that it is strictly limited to scions of the late politician?

Let me know please.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by EkoIle1: 4:42am On Jun 22, 2011
Ndipe:

What role did Awolowo play in the Biafrian war?

Another question is this, what's the bone of contention between Tinubu and the Awolowo's? I dont quite understand the story, or could it be that Tinubu wants to be the leader of the Yorubas and the Awolowo's family are saying no to his ambition on the fact that it is strictly limited to scions of the late politician?

Let me know please.

I'll leave the Biafra part alone simply because it's been discussed and over discussed on NL. Besides, we both don't need the potential tribal headache it's bound to generate, but I'll take a stab at the other issues raised. I'll try to keep it simply and straight to the point.

Let's start from the sage himself-

Awolow remains a great man, a great patriot, a wonderful civil servant and trail blazer. He fought selflessly for the upliftment and survival or the Yoruba people and he excelled across the board. Well, I wont bore you with his wonderful achievements.

The fact is, Awolowo died decades ago and many in Yoruba land are still holding on to him as a savior and everlasting leader, the though of any other leader stepping up is is not only a no no, it's just not tolerated.

Right after June 12th, the Awolowo family sided with the establishment against the Yoruba people including Tinubu and other members of NADECO, they broke rank and pitched their tent with the same people Awolowo himself spent his life fighting, the Awolow family decisively pushed Awolow's legacy to the side.

To assert their new role as the mouth piece of the establishment, the oppressors and enemies of the Yoruba people, they deployed the news paper Awolow started nearly 60 years ago to be the voice of the people to attack, abuse and ridicule the people including perceived threats to Awolow's leadership shoes since that's all they have to hide behind while they wine and dine with the eniemies of Yoruba people including.

The Awolow family and the Tribune became the mouthpiece of corrupt Yoruba folks like Afenifere and people like Oni, OGD and Akala. The Tribune is now a propaganda organ of PDP.

Today's politics-

About a year ago, the ACN and Tinubu became the main political force in the SW and a major threat to the Awolowo family and their benefactors/PDP so they deployed the Trubune to publish daily PDP propaganda and attacks against the ACN and Tinubu in particular, but the ACN and Tinubu didn't respond simply because of Awolowo's name and legacy.

Sam Omatseye-

Sam is a fearless writer with the Tinubu's Nation newspaper, he wrote the only response to the Awolow and Tribune's many years of deception, corrupt and crooked behavior, he exposed the Awolow's family and the Tribune's shady dealings and anti SW activities, something the whole of the SW swept under the carpet and refused to discuss simply because of the name involved.

Shortly after Sam's article in the Nation newspaper, reactionary elements from the Awolowo family to the Tribune and their corrupt friends reacted angrily and blamed the article on Tinubu so they unbleached on him accordingly.

Days later, Tinubu responded by writing HID, he denied any knowledge and didn't ask Sam to retract the article of apologize for the content.

Sam not only didn't take it back, he refused to apologize as demanded by some folks.

The tribune again responded with their usual attacks and insult editorials by calling Tinubu names like bastard, felon and questioning his paternity.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::>>>>>>>
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by stormm: 7:11am On Jun 22, 2011
@porka,
serious or trying to concoct your own version of events that we are all living witnesses to? OMG

While Afenifere were busy basking in old glory, people like Tinubu were building new political structures, networking across ethnic divides, fine-tuning political strategies in line with today's realities. The geriatrics, name peddling, agbada flaunting old politicians were busy collecting money from local government chairmen and making Afenifere noises. At least I met Chief Adebanjo on one occassion. How come they were deceived by a retired soldier into throwing away their Awo integrity? Why did Bola Ige accept to serve under Obj? What is the Olu Falae connection? What of Dupe Adelaja(nee Adesanya), Segun Awolowo)?

The rennaissance we are witnessing owes so much to the vision of a master political of the new mode. He re-activated progressive politics, gave the Yorubas a hope. It is the courage of fighting the many battles of walking the talk that is today being celebrated. Afterall, how many governors that got sworn-in same time with Tinubu has more political relevance or has achieved that much in this country? NONE
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Gbenge77(m): 7:37am On Jun 22, 2011
Wizardofoz:

^^^

Another usurper in our midst

Eki ile ko, Iragbiji oko ni

Mr. Toronto Chicago GCI grin

Ti iro ba lo logun odun, ojo kan l'ooto aba

Its just a matter of time, before you all get what is coming to you.

Omode bu r'oko, Omode b'oju we yin, o ni iroko emi re, do your effing best. Omode o mo pe, ojuwere k'ija l'ojo; The child that insults the Iroko tree, doesn't know the moment when the Iroko tree will strike

Any 'money-miss-road' that disrespects our elders will eventually regret it, even if the punishment isnt immediate

And one more thing: you may be feeding fat now, feeling invincible, as you sure are supposed to be feeling. But remember what happened to 'ikun' the other time.  'ikun' n je ogede to pon roborobo, ikun n redi, ikun was very very happy thinking he (ikun) had outsmarted the hunter, unfortunately, for the narrow-minded 'Ikun',  'Ikun' did not know that nkan to ba sweet can kill ikun.

For the avoidance of doubt: Ikun in this context = Eko-Ile, Tinubu, Omatseye, et.al
Mr Toronto,Chicago?Lol
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by stormm: 7:59am On Jun 22, 2011
Obviously, the anti-Tinubu people are be-clouded more by envy than by any meaningful reasoning. They rake mud just bacuse they think its hip.

To all those who think Tinubu steals Lagos State money; even if we have to reason along this line, the man has the option of sitting on his spoils and investing more stable economies. For choosing to to invest in emancipation of my people, for choosing to invest in ousting the evil cloud that is the PDP, for choosing to assist give us hope, I'll prefer this thief grin. Yes.

To those who think Tinubu is a bastard; we are essentially, familiar with Yoruba cultural values- there is no bastard in Yoruba land. Bi o je omo ale ni ile iya, ko le je omo ale nile baba meaning, no 2 couple disown the offspring of their loin, one of them will claim him.

For those who think he disrespected the Awo clan; while the Yorubas rever the name Awo, we were not too comfortable with their negative behaviour in the public place, after the death of the sage. On June 12 crisis, the Awolowo family benefitted more than even the Abiola family.

To appreciate the history of the June 12 crisis and how people sacrificed, please read this contribution to Sahara reporters. The names and events are mostly verifiable http://www.saharareporters.com/article/june-12-bitter-memoir-journalist
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by stormm: 8:03am On Jun 22, 2011
I also readily recall the sage's all time quote and a response to the issues of money and politics 'Socialism does not mean poverty'. And he lived it.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Ndipe(m): 2:05am On Jun 23, 2011
Eko Ile:

I'll leave the Biafra part alone simply because it's been discussed and over discussed on NL. Besides, we both don't need the potential tribal headache it's bound to generate, but I'll take a stab at the other issues raised. I'll try to keep it simply and straight to the point.

Let's start from the sage himself-

Awolow remains a great man, a great patriot, a wonderful civil servant and trail blazer. He fought selflessly for the upliftment and survival or the Yoruba people and he excelled across the board. Well, I wont bore you with his wonderful achievements.

The fact is, Awolowo died decades ago and many in Yoruba land are still holding on to him as a savior and everlasting leader, the though of any other leader stepping up is is not only a no no, it's just not tolerated.

Right after June 12th, the Awolowo family sided with the establishment against the Yoruba people including Tinubu and other members of NADECO, they broke rank and pitched their tent with the same people Awolowo himself spent his life fighting, the Awolow family decisively pushed Awolow's legacy to the side.

To assert their new role as the mouth piece of the establishment, the oppressors and enemies of the Yoruba people, they deployed the news paper Awolow started nearly 60 years ago to be the voice of the people to attack, abuse and ridicule the people including perceived threats to Awolow's leadership shoes since that's all they have to hide behind while they wine and dine with the eniemies of Yoruba people including.

The Awolow family and the Tribune became the mouthpiece of corrupt Yoruba folks like Afenifere and people like Oni, OGD and Akala. The Tribune is now a propaganda organ of PDP.

Today's politics-

About a year ago, the ACN and Tinubu became the main political force in the SW and a major threat to the Awolowo family and their benefactors/PDP so they deployed the Trubune to publish daily PDP propaganda and attacks against the ACN and Tinubu in particular, but the ACN and Tinubu didn't respond simply because of Awolowo's name and legacy.

Sam Omatseye-

Sam is a fearless writer with the Tinubu's Nation newspaper, he wrote the only response to the Awolow and Tribune's many years of deception, corrupt and crooked behavior, he exposed the Awolow's family and the Tribune's shady dealings and anti SW activities, something the whole of the SW swept under the carpet and refused to discuss simply because of the name involved.

Shortly after Sam's article in the Nation newspaper, reactionary elements from the Awolowo family to the Tribune  and their corrupt friends reacted angrily and blamed the article on Tinubu so they unbleached on him accordingly.

Days later, Tinubu responded by writing HID, he denied any knowledge and didn't ask Sam to retract the article of apologize for the content.

Sam not only didn't take it back, he refused to apologize as demanded by some folks.

The tribune again responded with their usual attacks and insult editorials by calling Tinubu names like bastard, felon and questioning his paternity.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::>>>>>>>

Awolowo is dead, so let another person be given a chance to lead the Yoruba tribe. Besides it's not a hereditary role, so none of the Awolowo's can lay claim to it. His daughter, Tokunbo attempted to be the governor of Lagos state in the 90's but lost the election. If the controversial Tinubu or any other politican aspires to be the next leaders, let them be given the chance to do so as long as they have the mandate of the people.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Shokwen: 5:15pm On Jun 26, 2011
@ EZEUCHE. I dey laugh ooooooo grin shocked grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Rerun: Police To Demand Wike’s Call Data This Week / APC Committee Gets Indefinite Tenure Extension / Pixes Of Major Kaduna Nzegwu's Grave At The Prestigious Military Cemetery In Kd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.