Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,811 members, 7,813,669 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:00 PM

Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) (12114 Views)

Let's Be Fair; Jonathan Has Done Well On The Economy. By Sam Ohuabunwa. / Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe / Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by seanet03: 10:04pm On Jun 10, 2011
Katsumoto:

I am not of the school of 'everything is either black or white'; I have stated my opinion.

Yes Tinubu is the new king but it is not yet Uhuru in the SW; assuming that the other governors will be as good as Fashola is too damn optimistic. Secondly, there is nothing, absolutely nothing, to be gained from attacking Awo's family and a lot to be lost. Lets not get ahead of ourselves just yet even though there is a good chance that ACN can bring positive change. Tinubu may be leading 3-0 but this was an own goal.
just my 2 pennies

'The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.' - Sun Tzu

Stranger is a PDP agent; he defends Oyinlola and OGD.

GBAM!!! I have always assert stranger is the First Born of Tewonde George.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by dankol: 10:10pm On Jun 10, 2011
It's a pity d so cald awoists are now turnin round to bite d finger dat fed dem. None of dem can achieve wat awo achieved. Dey all ad free educatn bt dey a are giving partialy free education. Dey are all bastards of awo nd none of dem nt even d asiwaju of ACN cn b esteemd as he ws.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by EkoIle1: 10:43pm On Jun 10, 2011
Katsumoto:

My take

1. Awo was his own man and his children should be free to live their own lives. No doubt Awo would be disappointed with SOME of the choices SOME of his children have made. Hobnobbing with PDP shouldn't be what Awo's family should be doing. They might have been forgiven if the mainstream party was a party that delivered rather than being a party of thieves.

2. If Awo's children were trying to use their father's influence in running the show in the SW, the same people that wrote that article would have accused them of using their father's name and abusing his legacy. They would write his children are not Awo and shouldn't HAVE to lead. If they follow their father's footsteps, you criticise them; if they don't follow his footsteps, you still criticise them

3. Mama HID is in her 90s; does anyone know how lucid she is? It is not impossible that she isn't aware of what is going on around. She may not know the widely held perception of OGD in Nigeria. There may be a member(s) of the family who are profiting from aligning with PDP but using the old woman as a front. I mean seriously, she may not be current with whats going on in Nigeria

4. Attacking an old woman in that manner is absolutely disgusting, let alone the wife of Awo; no matter what, the woman should be accorded some respect for her husbands antecedents. Wan ni agba ni ile Omatsoye

5. Strategically, this attack served no purpose because the Tribune's influence did not sway the elections in PDP's favour. Tinubu's ACN won, so what were they hoping to achieve by attacking the family of the late sage? This attack was childish, arrogant, and ill-conceived and may just come back to haunt Tinubu.

6. The wholesale rejection of PDP does not mean wholesale endorsement of Tinubu; Tinubu still has to deliver. Yoruba people say "eje ka le eyele lo na, ka to bo a f'abo fun adie". Yoruba people ignored his past transgressions so as to chase out the pirates deceiving party. To whom much is given, much is expected.

Nice points you made-

1. Now, why are we blaming Tinubu because some writer said what a lot of people are too scared and afraid to say about the evil deeds and destabilizing moves by the Awo camp and their PDP benefactors?

2. Tinubu did not pick this fight, they've been attacking Tinubu and the ACN for ages and the man didn't pay them any attention till this writer in question finally put their BS out there for all to see.

3. I'm 100% sure this incident is new to many people on NL so I understand their naive reasoning. I've been following the Tribune and Awo's family misdeed and orchestrated attacks against the people of the SW, it's leaders including Tinubu everyday on behalf of the PDP.

Te Awo people and their Tribune call Tinubu derogatory names and throw baseless accusations and insults at him every day and I don't see any soul on NL standing up to defend Tinubu or call the Tribune and Awo Family to order.

Now, you asked what was their to gain by attacking Awo Family. My question to you also is what's there to gain or what purpose does it serve to use Awo's legacy and the Tribune to divide the SW, to throw insults and baseless accusations at the people of the SW and their leaders including Tinubu?

You also asserted that the language used was disgusting. My question to you also is was calling Tinubu a felon not a disgusting language?

Whatever you are blaming the writer for sounds minuscule in contrast to what the Tribune and the Awo faamily do to Tinubu and the ACN on a daily bases.

HID is the chairman of the Tribune, she hired and is paying the Tribune in house writers to attack and pick fights with their perceived opponents on behalf of the PDP, and the fact that these are paid journalists with nothing better to do but act like hired thugs to intimidate and attack people while hiding behind Awo's name.

Awolowo established the Tribune to speak on behalf of the masses, not to attack the masses and destablized the SW in favor of the same evil Awolowo spent his life fighting. This is a great tragedy.

Yoruba people say "Ti agbalagba ko ka so ara e, won ma fi wo le ni" (If an adult doesn't act like an adult, they will mop the floor with him/her)

Anyways, it really doesn't matter at this point because the truth is out there for all to see and I don't see how this is going to hunt Tinubu in anyway. You might want to check out the comments under all the daily trash and attacks the Tribune publish, they are all in favor of Tinubu and against the Tribune and the Awo's family.

We had an election and the people of the SW gave their support and affairs to Tinubu and the ACN to manage, not the PDP or the Awolowo family, so, why is the Awolowo's family trying to suppress the will of the people of the SW?

They need to get with the program, but I don;t see that happening anytime soon because money corrupts.

Based on what's been going on, your assertions sounds too one sided and unfair to the people the Awo family and the Tribune attacks and insults everyday by their paid in house writers. This is very very un'AWO.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by EkoIle1: 10:46pm On Jun 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

I don't even like Tinubu. For me he is a means to an end, a convenient tool. But it seems to me that people are taking this article written by Omatseye to vent their spleen on how Tinubu is evil, etc, etc.

Which seems a bit silly to me, given that he didn't even write the article. I guess he owns the newspaper, but this is the only extent of his involvement.

I hear this I don't like Tinubu talk all the time and I'm yet to hear people articulate precisely why they don't like Tinubu and what he did wrong to warrant such statements.

Is their any reason why you do not like him and what exactly did he do? Just an honest question.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by lucabrasi(m): 10:58pm On Jun 10, 2011
Katsumoto:

I agree that no one should be beyond reproach if they fumble but in Yorubaland, a younger person must be careful in the manner he/she reproaches someone older. I haven't seen her speak in years; so I was kinda hoping that she isn't lucid and isn't really aware of whats going on. All the same, the writer went too far.
i know this comment was not directed at me but i couldnt help but comment on the bolded,lets get down to brasstacks now pls state exactly how he went too far?
Katsumoto:

I agree she isn't beyond reproach but come on; you can't seriously suggest that Tinubu didn't know what was going on. Most editors have to run articles such as this by their bosses. grin
lets agree for the sake of this debate that he told tinubu,if he was in the habit of sanctioning a head of the editorial board on what stories to publish wouldnt he become more infamous as gagging free speech?his rabit haters will say the acn godfather from lagos has started gagging the staffers in the nation.
pls let us not fail to realise that while we were all fighting for the freedom of information bill,these are the kind of stuffs that freedom of information will begat are what is coming up now.im sure you v seen the many views denigrating jesus christ evethough we dont like it and condemn it,its the freedom of speech.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by ektbear: 10:58pm On Jun 10, 2011
Eko Ile:

I hear this I don't like Tinubu talk all the time and I'm yet to hear people articulate precisely why they don't like Tinubu and what he did wrong to warrant such statements.

Is their any reason why you do not like him and what exactly did he do? Just an honest question.

Hrm, don't get me wrong, I don't dislike him either. I have no strong feelings about him one way or another (on a personal level that is, on the political level I think he has done a pretty good job for the most part.)

The main point of me saying "I don't even like Tinubu" is to:
A) Clarify that I'm not a fanboy of the guy
B) Emphasize that his effectiveness is what makes me more interested in him rather than any sort of personal love.

It isn't like he is the first guy I'd seek out to go drink a beer with, for example. Competency and results are more important to me than whether I like you or not. And whether anyone likes Tinubu or not, no one can claim he is not competent and has not delivered pretty decent political results, at least so far.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by dayokanu(m): 11:01pm On Jun 10, 2011
Eko Ile:

Nice points you made-

1. Now, why are we blaming Tinubu because some writer said what a lot of people are too scared and afraid to say about the evil deeds and destabilizing moves by the Awo camp and their PDP benefactors?

2. Tinubu did not pick this fight, they've been attacking Tinubu and the ACN for ages and the man didn't pay them any attention till this writer in question finally put their BS out there for all to see.

3. I'm 100% sure this incident is new to many people on NL so I understand their naive reasoning. I've been following the Tribune and Awo's family misdeed and orchestrated attacks against the people of the SW, it's leaders including Tinubu everyday on behalf of the PDP.

Te Awo people and their Tribune call Tinubu derogatory names and throw baseless accusations and insults at him every day and I don't see any soul on NL standing up to defend Tinubu or call the Tribune and Awo Family to order.

Now, you asked what was their to gain by attacking Awo Family. My question to you also is what's there to gain or what purpose does it serve to use Awo's legacy and the Tribune to divide the SW, to throw insults and baseless accusations at the people of the SW and their leaders including Tinubu?

You also asserted that the language used was disgusting. My question to you also is was calling Tinubu a felon not a disgusting language?

Whatever you are blaming the writer for sounds minuscule in contrast to what the Tribune and the Awo faamily do to Tinubu and the ACN on a daily bases.

HID is the chairman of the Tribune, she hired and is paying the Tribune in house writers to attack and pick fights with their perceived opponents on behalf of the PDP, and the fact that these are paid journalists with nothing better to do but act like hired thugs to intimidate and attack people while hiding behind Awo's name.

Awolowo established the Tribune to speak on behalf of the masses, not to attack the masses and destablized the SW in favor of the same evil Awolowo spent his life fighting. This is a great tragedy.

Yoruba people say "Ti agbalagba ko ka so ara e, won ma fi wo le ni" (If an adult doesn't act like an adult, they will mop the floor with him/her)

Anyways, it really doesn't matter at this point because the truth is out there for all to see and I don't see how this is going to hunt Tinubu in anyway. You might want to check out the comments under all the daily trash and attacks the Tribune publish, they are all in favor of Tinubu and against the Tribune and the Awo's family.

We had an election and the people of the SW gave their support and affairs to Tinubu and the ACN to manage, not the PDP or the Awolowo family, so, why is the Awolowo's family trying to suppress the will of the people of the SW?

They need to get with the program, but I don;t see that happening anytime soon because money corrupts.

Based on what's been going on, your assertions sounds too one sided and unfair to the people the Awo family and the Tribune attacks and insults everyday by their paid in house writers. This is very very un'AWO.

Excellent!!!
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by lucabrasi(m): 11:05pm On Jun 10, 2011
Eko Ile:

this is a million dolla question i will love an answer to as well.
they have even left mr omatseye alone,some people are now pouring vitriol on tinubu as if he is the one that wrote the article just because they are afraid of his rising and status as an influential political figure.
how come no one remembered the asiwaju title when the man was fighting obasanjo and during yar adua time
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Katsumoto: 11:22pm On Jun 10, 2011
Eko Ile:

Nice points you made-

1. I suspect people are blaming Tinubu because the newspaper in question is one of his corporations. You have to accept that was an uncouth way to attack Awo's legacy. Most Nigerian journalists don't even know how to do their jobs properly. A better writer would have written an article that focused on his family's assciation with the bad guys without getting into personal attacks.

2. There are people who defend Tinubu on NL. I used to be against Tinubu myself but I have to admit that he has done some good. Tinubu would have actually even gained more by ignoring Tribune/HID.

3. They have been calling Tinubu all these names but did the name-calling stop him giving a resounding beating to PDP? Sometimes, a leader has to be the bigger person. He got down to fight and defeat the PDP; believe me there is no sense in jumping into the ocean to fight a drowning man while you are on safe land.

4. I can not and will not excuse the behaviour of the Awo family in becoming PDP's mouthpiece.

5. You may be right that this may not hurt Tinubu but nobody really knows. No one can see into the future. Yes they supported Tinubu today but do you know who they will support tomorrow. Can you see how irrelevant OBJ is today?

6. Tinubu has every right to defend himself but Tinubu actions today don't affect just Tinubu; they affect all his followers and supporters. He has to think and act like a leader. He has to pick his battles because not every battle is worth fighting. Did you see the way Obama killed Donald Trump's presidential election? He let Trump make a lot of noise about the issue of where he was born knowing fully well that he was born in the US. He could have come out immediately with his birth certificate to prove them wrong but that would have been a wrong move. Sometimes, you give a enemies enough rope so that they can hang themselves.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Wizardofoz: 11:28pm On Jun 10, 2011
Katsumoto:

1. I suspect people are blaming Tinubu because the newspaper in question is one of his corporations. You have to accept that was an uncouth way to attack Awo's legacy. Most Nigerian journalists don't even know how to do their jobs properly. A better writer would have written an article that focused on his family's assciation with the bad guys without getting into personal attacks.

2. There are people who defend Tinubu on NL. I used to be against Tinubu myself but I have to admit that he has done some good. [size=18pt]Tinubu would have actually even gained more by ignoring Tribune/HID. [/size]

3. They have been calling Tinubu all these names but did the name-calling stop him giving a resounding beating to PDP? Sometimes, a leader has to be the bigger person. He got down to fight and defeat the PDP; believe me there is no sense in jumping into the ocean to fight a drowning man while you are on safe land.

4. I can not and will not excuse the behaviour of the Awo family in becoming PDP's mouthpiece.

5. You may be right that this may not hurt Tinubu but nobody really knows. No one can see into the future. Yes they supported Tinubu today but do you know who they will support tomorrow. Can you see how irrelevant OBJ is today?

6. Tinubu has every right to defend himself but Tinubu actions today don't affect just Tinubu; they affect all his followers and supporters. He has to think and act like a leader. He has to pick his battles because not every battle is worth fighting. Did you see the way Obama killed Donald Trump's presidential election? He let Trump make a lot of noise about the issue of where he was born knowing fully well that he was born in the US. He could have come out immediately with his birth certificate to prove them wrong but that would have been a wrong move. Sometimes, you give a enemies enough rope so that they can hang themselves.

Do you even know how Tinubu came into prominence in Lagos/SW?

Were you in Lagos when Tinubu was Governor?

Ever seen any of the Bill Boards with Tinubu's image juxtaposed with Ghandi's and Awo's?

Tinubu rode Awo's coattails from start.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Wizardofoz: 11:35pm On Jun 10, 2011
Katsumoto:

I am sure Obama would only be so glad to take credit for that; Obama roasting Donald Trump at the 2011 White House Correspondents Dinner  was exactly why Donald trump dropped out of the race. As if, Obama providing the long form of his birth certificate dampened the spirit of the birthers. If I were you, I'd spend time listening to Rush Limbaugh, Hannity, Glenn Beck, Lou Dobbs et al before coming to that conclusion.

Also, I would take some time talking to real life conservatives, tea-partiers, conspiracy theorists and some red-heads before ascribing to Obama the power and influence he would be all too eager to not want to have.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by sbeezy8: 11:37pm On Jun 10, 2011
people over hype the helll outta tinubu real talk.

There are so many young intelligent educated savvy guys getting involved in politics/business and getting ready to take SW n nigeria by storm so tinubu will probably be a nobody 7-10 yrs from now if Forbes does not list him as a billionaire lmfao hahaha  jk grin

to me ACN Tinubu or any politician or oba is really not that important when you look at yoruba history leaders,politcians, businessmen, Obas are relevant today and nobodies tommorow.

SW keep things fresh and interesting. AG AD PDP were yesterday ACN/LB today could be a totally new party tomorrow.

SW politics are soooo INTERESTING.

i dont like tinubu n i dont hate tinubu- infact hes just "there" for now who knows when i get into politics im takin dat niggaz spot,
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Katsumoto: 11:42pm On Jun 10, 2011
Wizardofoz:

Do you even know how Tinubu came into prominence in Lagos/SW?

Were you in Lagos when Tinubu was Governor?

Ever seen any of the Bill Boards with Tinubu's image juxtaposed with Ghandi's and Awo's?

Tinubu rode Awo's coattails from start.

How are your questions connected to the points I made? I said Tinubu could have gained more by ignoring the Tribune and you are asking me if I was in Lagos when Tinubu was governor or whether I saw billboards. What is wrong in Tinubu riding Awo's coattails? If Awo's children and grand-children were not up to the task, what is wrong with someone else filling the void?

lucabrasi:

i know this comment was not directed at me but i couldnt help but comment on the bolded,lets get down to brasstacks now  pls state exactly how he went too far?
lets agree for the sake of this debate that he told tinubu,if he was in the habit of sanctioning a head of the editorial board on what stories to publish wouldnt he become more infamous as gagging free speech?his rabit haters will say the acn godfather from lagos has started gagging the staffers in the nation.
pls let us not fail to realise that while we were all fighting for the freedom of information bill,these are the kind of stuffs that freedom of information will begat are what is coming up now.im sure you v seen the many views denigrating jesus christ evethough we dont like it and condemn it,its the freedom of speech.

It was Awo that married HID and it was Awo that said that HID was his wife of inestimable value. He crossed the line in talking about Awo divorcing her and talking about her value. Is he Awo?

You are being naive to suggest that editors don't run big stories or articles past their bosses. All over the world, that is the practice; because it is the boss that gets into trouble. Freedom of speech or not. Freedom of speech is the liberty newspapers have to publish stories but is newspapers owners that have to deal with any economic or political fall-out.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Katsumoto: 11:46pm On Jun 10, 2011
Wizardofoz:

I am sure Obama would only be so glad to take credit for that; Obama roasting Donald Trump at the 2011 White House Correspondents Dinner  was exactly why Donald trump dropped out of the race. As if, Obama providing the long form of his birth certificate dampened the spirit of the birthers. If I were you, I'd spend time listening to Rush Limbaugh, Hannity, Glenn Beck, Lou Dobbs et al before coming to that conclusion.

Also, I would take some time talking to real life conservatives, tea-partiers, conspiracy theorists and some red-heads before ascribing to Obama the power and influence he would be all too eager to not want to have.

So Trump dropped out of the race because Obama yabbed him at a dinner? You got to be kidding. Donald Trump is a billionaire; are you suggesting he would walk away from a deal that would make him a ton of cash just because someone made fun of him?
Trump dropped out because he kept talking about the birth certificate issue and lost all credibility after Obama produced the damn certificate.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jun 10, 2011
Don't know about the US but here in the UK, nobody goes against Mr Rupert Murdoch in his media empire; if you still have doubts, go ask a certain Andy Gray. It's naive at best and hypocritical at worst to suggest that this article could have been published without Tinubu's knowledge.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by EkoIle1: 11:59pm On Jun 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

Hrm, don't get me wrong, I don't dislike him either. I have no strong feelings about him one way or another (on a personal level that is, on the political level I think he has done a pretty good job for the most part.)

The main point of me saying "I don't even like Tinubu" is to:
A) Clarify that I'm not a fanboy of the guy
B) Emphasize that his effectiveness is what makes me more interested in him rather than any sort of personal love.

It isn't like he is the first guy I'd seek out to go drink a beer with, for example. Competency and results are more important to me than whether I like you or not. And whether anyone likes Tinubu or not, no one can claim he is not competent and has not delivered pretty decent political results, at least so far.

I asked because you used that phrase at least 3 times in different threads and situations. I don't like and I'm not a fan are 2 different things. I'm not trying to dictate to you who or what you should like and dislike, I was just curious for my own good like say maybe you folks know something about this guy that I don't know because I do understand the rubbish thrown at him by the ibo hate mongers and bigots on NL, not from sane and rational folks.

I don't know the man personally, but I do know a lot about him as a politician and a public figure, I'm yet to see anything to dislike him for because all his moves as a politician, activist and advocate on behalf of his people so far has been very beneficial.

Lagos is not in the hands of the PDP because this man fought selflessly, single handedly and stake his life to fight the establishment even during Abacha era.

OBJ/PDP starved Lagos state financially for 8 long years, but the great state of Lagos did not fall apart or go bankrupt under Tinubu

We are proud as Lagosians and blessed with the best Governor in Nigeria because of his great foresight, sense and wisdom

We praise Fashola who is a great administrator and a fine man and also because of all the great stuff he's doing in Lagos, but most of it was laid down by Tinubu from Eko Atlantic to BRT, Lekki free trade zone and many innovations within Lagos state.

Many clueless folks attribute the ownership of Alpha Beta to Tinubu, but the same people will tell you that Lagos is ahead simply because of it's ability to generate huge IGR, but who made that possible? Tinubu of course. Who made Lagos state the most tax effective state in Nigeria? Tinubu of curse.

And so what if the company belongs to him? I repeat again, so what?

The company is providing a great service and is getting compensated for doing a great job. I know deep down, many of these haters wish they have their own Alpha Beta to generate needed funds to develop like Lagos. It's not only incompetent not to have a company like Alpha Beta, it's criminal.

They claim this and that company belongs to Tinubu, So what? Is it against the law to own businesses in Nigeria? In fact, I hope these entities are his because one thing I like about rich folks in Nigeria like Tinubu is he fact that they invest and spend their money at home to develop their states, to empower their own people and transform their economies, this jells with the mans commitment to the development and advancement of his people.

He left office and still decided to use his capacity as a politician to fight for his people, to liberate his people and reclaim every inch of Yoruba land, he gave us hope, pride and a better future.

Today, the SW is a major political force in Nigeria and we are getting our dues in pounds all because of one man's efforts and selfless service and the man's name is Bola Tinubu.

So far, his moves and decisions on behalf of his people from his days as the governor of Lagos state till this very second are spot on and straight on Target.

People are free to spew their baseless and unfounded rumors about the man, but when a man dares the EFCC, his enemies from OBJ to GEJ to arrest or incriminate him with anything or STFU and his still walking around without any kind of immunity, cleaning their clocks and instead of touching him, they are sending presidential planes to ferry him around and begging him for favors, obviously, they have nothing on him. The EFCC have all the tools in the world to locate his wealth, they have his files, they know where he keeps and how he makes his money and if for what ever reason they still can not nail him, he's simply the smartest and the cleanest Nigerian politician.

I'm a realist and I deal with reality, till this man is nailed for something in front of us all, he remains a great public servant.

Again, I'm not dictating to you who to like or dislike, just trying to find out if there is something out there you know that I don't know.

It makes no sense to say you dislike without any reason to justify your dislike.

My take-
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by EkoIle1: 12:09am On Jun 11, 2011
Katsumoto:

2. There are people who defend Tinubu on NL. I used to be against Tinubu myself but I have to admit that he has done some good. Tinubu would have actually even gained more by ignoring Tribune/HID.

Again, you are on the wrong track. Obviously, they are baiting Tinubu with their daily attacks, but today's issue is not about Tinubu. The fact remains that Tinubu did not write the article.

About you asserting that Tinubu would have actually even gained more by ignoring Tribune/HID What do you think he's been doing? Or do you have any negative statement uttered by Tinubu against Awo family and HID? Of course you don;t have any because the man is yet to respond to their stupidity and childish behavior.

I still don't know why you are grinding the man or trying to paint the situation as Tinubu attacking the Awo family. They are doing the attacking, not Tinubu.

Feel free to prove otherwise or loom for a different line of argument. I'm finding it very difficult to refrain from questioning your sense of fairness and rational reasoning.

What exactly did Tinubu did other than ignoring them till this very second?
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by tpia5: 12:22am On Jun 11, 2011
i'm not saying tinubu is a saint but i think he's being set up.

he needs to do his own investigations, starting with the omatseye fellow.

get his emails, contacts, phone records, etc.

conduct surveillance on him like the americans do.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by dayokanu(m): 12:44am On Jun 11, 2011
I have not seen Tinubu attack anyone, And If peopl;e say Tinubu is culpable based on writings in the nations newspaper

Can we also hold HID Awolowo responsible for all the writing in the tribune newspapers which include being the attack dog of Akala Adedibu OBJ etc
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Wizardofoz: 12:51am On Jun 11, 2011
Katsumoto:

How are your questions connected to the points I made? I said Tinubu could have gained more by ignoring the Tribune and you are asking me if I was in Lagos when Tinubu was governor or whether I saw billboards. What is wrong in Tinubu riding Awo's coattails? If Awo's children and grand-children were not up to the task, what is wrong with someone else filling the void?

How? you said Tinubu would have gained more if he had ignored HID. My point is that, he would have lost more, not gain. Make no mistake about it, without  Awo's name, BAT is nothing. He is lucky that the Awo family allowed him use that name without ever challenging him. That is how the  AD came into power using, Awo's name that is.

From the very start, he had always wanted to present himself as the 'Arole' Awolowo. He did not succeed much outside of Lagos because Bola Ige was the star and of course no one, and NO ONE, not even Soyinka, could have gone head to head with Bola Ige. Reason why he had to wait till now to exert his swagz. Besides campaigning with his name, he literally spends millions of naira crafting his public image right down to the final detail in the persona of Awo; hence my Bilboard reference. Meaning, for someone who has used Awo's name for personal glory, it would have been suicidal for him politically to ignore HID. For Someone with NO REAL MOTHER, apart from  her 'surrogate mother,' Abibatu Mogaji, ignoring HID awolowo would have detracted from his Awo cred, not Add to it as you wrongly claimed. It was so important for him to be seen and accepted like Awo, "acquir[ing] a signature cap, the ‘Awo glasses’ and even buying an ‘Asiwaju’ title" from Oyekan besides, he had to erect billboards to drive home his message, that Tinubu = The new Awolowo. Not minding the broom logo on his party emblem and the use of Awo's trademark insignia, Action.

And yes, I asked you about your familiarity with his tenure in Lagos to gauge your understanding of the power HID Awolowo wields in the SW. If only you knew that, she is the closest thing we (SW) have to Awolowo;  the import of her status as the Yeye Oodua of Yorubaland, and that her image and influence loom larger than what an "out of touch," foreign- born, non-native speaker of the Yoruba language could grasp from just reading about her on the internet.
If only you knew, you would not have posted this: Tinubu would have actually even gained more by ignoring Tribune/HID.

And I hope you know why the article was written. This article was meant to achieve three things:

1) To gauge the public's state on where he, Tinubu, stands WRT Awolowo
2) De-mystify Awo's influence while elevating Tinubu's image in our consciousness
3) To achieve what was articulated in the last paragraph of the article.

Because moving forward, it is clear, very clear that only two people could 'coronate' the next 'Awo;' HID Awolowo & Olubuse II.

Tinubu knows this quite well; hence, this Op-ed, to force HID's hands before she dies.

Geddit.

If Awo's children and grand-children were not up to the task, what is wrong with someone else filling the void?

What void are we talking about?
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Katsumoto: 1:19am On Jun 11, 2011
Na wa o

The anti and pro tinubu camps are now targetting me instead of each other. grin

Anyway, Eko Ile's argument is more acceptable

Wizardofoz:

How? you said Tinubu would have gained more if he had ignored HID. My point is that, he would have lost more, not gain. Make no mistake about it, without  Awo's name, BAT is nothing. He is lucky that the Awo family allowed him use that name without ever challenging him. That is how the  AD came into power using, Awo's name that is.

From the very start, he had always wanted to present himself as the 'Arole' Awolowo. He did not succeed much outside of Lagos because Bola Ige was the star and of course no one, and NO ONE, not even Soyinka, could have gone head to head with Bola Ige. Reason why he had to wait till now to exert his swagz. Besides campaigning with his name, he literally spends millions of naira crafting his public image right down to the final detail in the persona of Awo; hence my Bilboard reference. Meaning, for someone who has used Awo's name for personal glory, it would have been suicidal for him politically to ignore HID. For Someone with NO REAL MOTHER, apart from  her 'surrogate mother,' Abibatu Mogaji, ignoring HID awolowo would have detracted from his Awo cred, not Add to it as you wrongly claimed. It was so important for him to be seen and accepted like Awo, "acquir[ing] a signature cap, the ‘Awo glasses’ and even buying an ‘Asiwaju’ title" from Oyekan besides, he had to erect billboards to drive home his message, that Tinubu = The new Awolowo. Not minding the broom logo on his party emblem and the use of Awo's trademark insignia, Action.

And yes, I asked you about your familiarity with his tenure in Lagos to gauge your understanding of the power HID Awolowo wields in the SW. If only you knew that, she is the closest thing we (SW) have to Awolowo; the import of her status as the Yeye Oodua of Yorubaland, and that her image and influence loom larger than what [size=14pt] an "out of touch," foreign- born, non-native speaker of the Yoruba language could grasp from just reading about her on the internet.[/size]
If only you knew, you would not have posted this: Tinubu would have actually even gained more by ignoring Tribune/HID.

And I hope you know why the article was written. This article was meant to achieve three things:

1) To gauge the public's state on where he, Tinubu, stands WRT Awolowo
2) De-mystify Awo's influence while elevating Tinubu's image in our consciousness
3) To achieve what was articulated in the last paragraph of the article.

Because moving forward, it is clear, very clear that only two people could 'coronate' the next 'Awo;' HID Awolowo & Olubuse II.

Tinubu knows this quite well; hence, this Op-ed, to force HID's hands before she dies.

Geddit.
What void are we talking about?

We are onto personal attacks now? I am not surprised anyway. Regardless of where I may be from, I should still be able to comment because I am for the progress of Yoruba people. Or is it only Yoruba people that are allowed to desire the progress of Yoruba people?

But its all good
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by lucabrasi(m): 2:30am On Jun 11, 2011
Katsumoto:

It was Awo that married HID and it was Awo that said that HID was his wife of inestimable value. He crossed the line in talking about Awo divorcing her and talking about her value. Is he Awo?
fair enough no one is disputing that fact,we got the lincense to acess her life and to make comments concerning her marriage to awo as soon as she took the headship of the yorubas.
secondly what the man said was that if awo was alive to see how tainted his ideologic and political family has become as a result of the people his wife was associating with he would be so angry that he would divorce his wife.now lets face it is the man right or wrong?
will awolowo champion the cause of the gbenga daniels? the oyinlolas?
will awolowo under any circumstance cross over to n.p.n now imagine him getting the news that his wife has been hobnobing and fighting the cause of his political opposites?
besides let us not not be naive here nelsaon mandela called winnie all sorts of lovey dovey names,she was there for him for 27 years if nelson mandela had died who would have though they would be divorced by now?
Katsumoto:

You are being naive to suggest that editors don't run big stories or articles past their bosses. All over the world, that is the practice; because it is the boss that gets into trouble. Freedom of speech or not. Freedom of speech is the liberty newspapers have to publish stories but is newspapers owners that have to deal with any economic or political fall-out.
true but note that i said as the head of the editorial board,even the editor reports to him so he is more powerful than the editor besides why would or why should tinubu dictate the kind of articles that will be published?
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by OAM4J: 2:33am On Jun 11, 2011
Whao! What more can I say?

This is definitely not over yet.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by EkoIle1: 2:57am On Jun 11, 2011
Another attack job by The Tribune paid in house writer.

Imagine a paid journalist calling people bastard

The making of a bastard (2)

| Print | E-mail

Written by Abiodun Awolaja Friday, 10 June 2011

Bola Tinubu, the jester who wants to be another Awo, has gone clearly beyond his boundary. The present writer stopped replying Tinubu’s boys in March because of the magnitude of illiteracy evident in their writing (“Tribune getting out of control”, “Tribune’s descent into infamy”, “Tribune, CJN and the PCA”), and because of pleas by concerned individuals, some of whom felt that my mention of Babatunde Fashola could cast a dent on his image. Here is a text forwarded through Professor Tony Afejuku and QPED Editor, Mrs Omotayo Lewis, by one such concerned reader on March 15: “Tony, pIs help forward this txt message to Mr Abiodun Awolaja. Mr Awolaja, in your ‘War against Tribune: Before Tinubu’s fall’, it is unfortunate that Fashola is in the same political party with Tinubu, they both don’t have the same ideology. Whatever Fashola is doing that is out of context should be ignored because we all can hear and see that if not for strong opposition through comments by the Nigerian populace, intervention and appeal by the people that matter, Gov Fashola, the People’s Governor would not have been presented for re-election by the power that be in the ACN. PIs leave the well polished SAN alone to be (able) to do the little that he will be permitted to do. God bless Nigeria. Olarewaju. +2348055556554 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +2348055556554 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.”

However, as it turned out, The Nation was not done yet. Dare Olatunji wrote “The aposotate of Imalefalafia,” saying the Nigerian Tribune was embarrassing Tinubu, Awo’s successor in the South-West—I was later told at a CNN conference in Lagos that this fellow was given a house to live in by Tinubu—by publishing his case with the Code of Conduct Bureau. Then came the gratuitous insult “Tribune needs help” by one Segun Ayobolu. Still, as they say in Nigerian parlance, we maintained/cooled temper. But Omatseye, apparently emboldened by that silence and without any sense of shame even after his hollowness had been clearly demonstrated in “X-raying Omatseye’s tirade against Tribune,” and for which he sent word through Taiwo Adisa, Group Politics Editor, asking what he had done to merit such an attack, would later go ahead to write” Awo family without an Awo,” in which, among other lunacies, he mocked a 96-year-old woman over the loss of two of her children.

The theorist, Louis Althusser, speaks of ideological state apparatuses (ISAs) and repressive state apparatuses (RSAs) as constituents of what Antonio Gramsci simply tags hegemony. Whereas the ISAs are media for brainwashing the masses (the mass media, the church, schools, etc) to legitimise their own oppression, the RSAs are the physical sides of hegemony (the army, police, courts, etc) employed to compel obedience and subjugate the people. If therefore the ISAs fail to convert you (like a character is converted in George Orwell’s Animal Farm to believe that “Comrade Napoleon is always right”), you will be subjected to the kind of treatment meted out to dissenters in Nineteen Eighty Four, another novel by George Orwell. To simplify: if the church or media fails to convert you to believe that your oppression is justified, the police/army will go after you because you have become a security threat.

And, like General Sam would say in Anthills of the Savannah, “my concern is the security of this state.” (i.e the continuity of hegemony). The state security apparatus then throws “questioners to hyenas”, as Tanure Ojaide says in “The owl wakes us”. The oppressors are, of course, building the nation, in the style of the Permanent Secretary in the poem of that title by the Ugandan poet, Henry Barlow.
[b]
It is in this context that one reads the madness, fraud and carnage unleashed by Tinubu and members of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) on the nation. When they are not getting false stories printed to discredit any perceived opponent of their god, Tinubu, they are busy burning down Akwa Ibom. Yet they say that the Nigerian Tribune is the PDP’s paper once you refuse to fashion their own kind of headlines which demonise the Akpabios, Alao-Akalas, Onis and Daniels of this world. They would say: “Ministerial list: Oni, Daniel, Akala lose out” even though Alao-Akala said he never wanted to be a minister, arguing that he would not be a good leader if he should get his name on the list, when he was not the only PDP man in Oyo State. Alao-Akala is supposed to be a reactionary, and journalists in The Nation who have never made anything out of life would always abuse him, even finding fault with his inauguration of his projects. But these marionettes never saw the rabidity in a man who imposed his barely literate wife on the electorate, or a party which jettisoned politics of inclusiveness by hand-picking cronies for elective [/b]positions.

Omatseye said that Alao-Akala “brought illiteracy into governance,” but shouldn’t he instead help his principal to trace his certificate? We know that Gani Fawehinmi battled Tinubu to a standstill on the certificate issue. Or shall we begin to query Omatseye’s educational background, too, as a case of birds of a feather, ?

Yes, you may write false stories about Alao-Akala to please your god, but your future will pay for your present.

Who can The Nation hire to silence the Nigerian Tribune? Omatseye? Haruna? Dare? These are bad investments. Tinubu should recruit greater bastards than himself who will do a better job of rubbishing the Awolowo family, calling Mama HID a worthless woman! Omatseye, lenu e? You dare utter such trash? Doesn’t what you have written of a respected 96-year-old woman speak volumes of your attitude to your own mother? You are the kind the Y oruba cail“omo a-bin-pabe; omo to ye ki won ti fi se nnkan osu danu.” You may ride Hummer Jeeps on the streets of Lagos, but the woman’s “head” will ask you questions at the appropriate time. Though you may claim to have as many clothes as an elder, can you have as many rags?

Mr Bola Tinubu, you will never be Yoruba leader. You lack the intellectual depth, the pedigree, the moral standing, the cultural education, the charisma, the stamina, the experience, the verve, the drive, the humanity, to be Yoruba leader. You will continue to be deceived by Judases like Dare, Haruna and Omatseye, but you will proceed no further than their illiteracy.

Let’s meet on “The making of a bastard (Part 3),” where we engage strictly theoretical/ideological issues.

Awolaja is on the Politics Desk of Nigerian Tribune.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by EkoIle1: 3:02am On Jun 11, 2011
Another day of mindless attack  against Tinubu and the ACN.

So, who is going to call the Tribune to order?

So, they get a free pass by hiding behind Awolow's legacy?

When is this BS going to stop?

How long is the SW going to stay silent because they are too scared to go against the Family because of Awo's name?
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Wizardofoz: 3:04am On Jun 11, 2011
^^^

Omo osan ni ko ponpo ba iya e

eru kan ni si n mu ni bu igba eru

eni ba ri oba fin , ni oba'a pa; igba ti n r'oba fin, Oba o ma wo ran mi ni.

Next time, ti won ba ran Omatseye ni slave-work, a fi  t'omo je
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by EkoIle1: 3:07am On Jun 11, 2011
^^^^^ Attending to trolls is not my thing, try find a troll like you to go back and forth with.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Wizardofoz: 3:19am On Jun 11, 2011
^^^

Another usurper in our midst

Eki ile ko, Iragbiji oko ni

Mr. Toronto Chicago GCI grin

Ti iro ba lo logun odun, ojo kan l'ooto aba

Its just a matter of time, before you all get what is coming to you.

Omode bu r'oko, Omode b'oju we yin, o ni iroko emi re, do your effing best. Omode o mo pe, ojuwere k'ija l'ojo; The child that insults the Iroko tree, doesn't know the moment when the Iroko tree will strike

Any 'money-miss-road' that disrespects our elders will eventually regret it, even if the punishment isnt immediate

And one more thing: you may be feeding fat now, feeling invincible, as you sure are supposed to be feeling. But remember what happened to 'ikun' the other time.  'ikun' n je ogede to pon roborobo, ikun n redi, ikun was very very happy thinking he (ikun) had outsmarted the hunter, unfortunately, for the narrow-minded 'Ikun',  'Ikun' did not know that nkan to ba sweet can kill ikun.

For the avoidance of doubt: Ikun in this context = Eko-Ile, Tinubu, Omatseye, et.al
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by nduchucks: 3:25am On Jun 11, 2011
Tinubu  a.k.a Dan Iska  cheesy

The disgraceful feud being discussed is not surprising to observers like me. This self destructive behaviour of the Yorubas is why one of their sons, Chief H. Ogunde wrote a play and a song titled Yoruba Ronu (Yoruba think)

Here's is my rendition of one or two stanzas from the song (pardon me for the typos) :

Yoruba nse ra won nitori owo
Yoruba nj'irawon lese nitori ipo

won gbe'bi fun alare, won gbe are fun eni'bi
won pe ole ko wa ja, won tun pe oloko wa mu (dem call tief make him come steal from farm, then come call farmer to come catch de tief)

ogbon ti won da togbe won dele ola    (na de sense wey carry dem reach top of de mountain)
ogbon na lo pada wa si gbe won san le  (wey come back troway dem for valley)

The last two lines should be instructive to Tinubu and other political jobbers lurking arround this thread. Eko ile, se iwo mo yoruba ka - se you sabi read Yoruba?

Reference material"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSEP6GQhneM
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by jason123: 3:30am On Jun 11, 2011
ndu_chucks:

The disgraceful feud being discussed is not surprising to observers like me. This self destructive behaviour of the Yorubas is why one of their sons, Chief H. Ogunde wrote a play and a song titled Yoruba Ronu (Yoruba think)

Here's is my rendition of one or two stanzas from the song (pardon me for the typos) :

won pe ole ko wa ja, won tun pe oloko wa mu (dem call tief make him come steal from farm, then come call farmer to come catch de tief)

ogbon ti won da togbe won dele ola    (na de sense wey carry dem reach top of de mountain)

The last two lines should be instructive to Tinubu and other political jobbers lurking arround this thread. Eko ile, se iwo mo yoruba ka - se you sabi read Yoruba?

Reference material"

THAT SONG IS DEEP!!! shocked sad
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by Wizardofoz: 3:35am On Jun 11, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Reference material"

Thanks for that link.

You need to watch OGD's version, very funny and in OGD's usual charismatic manner, brought life to the song

Anyway, POC, Yoruba Ronu means Yoruba [b]think deeply [/b]which is somewhat different from Yoruba think (Yoruba r'ori)

Just so you know.
Re: Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) by nduchucks: 3:41am On Jun 11, 2011
Wizardofoz:

Thanks for that link.

You need to watch OGD's version, very funny and in OGD's usual charismatic manner, brought life to the song

Anyway, POC, Yoruba Ronu means Yoruba think deeply [/b]which is somewhat different from Yoruba think (Yoruba r'ori)

Just so you know.

Interesting. I would have thought one would do deep thinking with the brain (head) hence r'[b]ori.
Thanks for the correction, na gode.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fela Talks On Mko Abiola / Goodluck Jonathan Visits Rupiah Banda - Photos / Rerun: Police To Demand Wike’s Call Data This Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 193
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.