Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,198 members, 7,818,656 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way (30052 Views)

Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University / Doctor Shares Experience With An Employer In Abuja, rejects N70K salary / Man Going For Interview Speaks Rudely To Prospective Employer Inside KEKE NAPEP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by denobaba: 6:47pm On Nov 18, 2021
stanliwise:

You're being deceived, believe me.
Company will keep you because of your perceived worth and not just what you give to the company perse. Infact if you ask me which is better,
I would say you first work on your worth and let your service value flow flawlessly without you breaking a sweat. The reverse will only end you up in tears.

Think deeper

If your boss is using motivational word to whine your head, better wake up. While you try to give your best you must never get caught up and always remember that you will only remain relevant base on worth and your skill level. People kill themselves day and night in the road of extra miles.
Today no one ever heard what they did.

Omo no go dull o

The only time I will go extra mile in a company is if it increase my skill and worth but say because of say make bosses dey feel me. Dem go old.
The only promise I will fulfill is to do my task which I signed for and the rest of the story are left to my self improvement and personal decisions.

BOTTOM LINE: Only indulge if there is a combined interest (your interest and the company interest) or else na road of extra miles you go retire.
You are very smart. There's value in what the Op posted also, but he missed a good point about looking out for one's interest as much as one may seek to add value.

Any value added to your company without commensurate benefit to you in terms of personal development and financial compensation is ultimately a loss to the employee concerned.

No one is ever remembered for service to an employer but the value one adds to oneself remains for life.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Eze2000(m): 6:48pm On Nov 18, 2021
stanliwise:

you're talking through your teeth.
"Treat my company like you would yours"

Why not make your employee share holders ini your company.

Now it's your turn to talk through your teeth.

We employer association have a saying... everybody steal but Nigerians steal too much.

Share will not stop them from robbing you blind.

Percentage of profits is what I give or commissions

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by denobaba: 6:56pm On Nov 18, 2021
seunolu7:
Lol. The world is moving away from hierarchical job 9-5 systems and moving to a collaborative works space, but Nigerians are still stuck with dumb old age practices. Why should you save a company's money if that is not your job? Why should you bother with giving them one useless competitive edge? Instead of seeking promotion in one boring job, we young Nigerians should start the era of hourly payments and encourage people to have two or three jobs that pay well and let people have time for their families. Don't spend 50 out of 75 years being a corporate slave so that your chairman will leave 2 billion dollar inheritance for his 12 children and 3 wives.
Bro, which levels nah grin grin

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by toujurs: 7:07pm On Nov 18, 2021
SundayNightGist:
Employers only recognize and reward those who take the initiative to add tangible value to the company.

It's not enough to do what is expected of you or what is written in your employment letter (JD). You have to strive to go the extra mile, or else you'll just realize that you're on your own busy making efforts on monotonous activities count for nothing- not money, not attention, not even promotion!

Add value; practical value for that matter!
Any one working for any one should know this

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by professore(m): 7:19pm On Nov 18, 2021
SundayNightGist:
You add practical value by making sure you're supplying work or ideas capable of:

1. saving your company money
2. making your company money
3. helping your company to make an impact
4. giving your company any form of competitive edge
5. giving your company a good name
good

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Mayor101010(m): 7:37pm On Nov 18, 2021
Be your own boss
proxitaly:
Make we hear
There are myriads of jobs where you can't add any other tangible value than what you are employed to do. Imagine telling a bank teller to add value.
Also, most Nigerian jobs differ little from slavery. You're being paid 50k in today's economy and work 7 to 7. Which other value you wan add?

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Nobody: 8:05pm On Nov 18, 2021
Abba114:
is the offer still valid?

Lol I thought as much, I have always have the feeling you must be a low l*fe suffer head. Imagine so na Tipper you dey drive. Well still better than staying Idle. But I don't pray you ever hold any "Political Office or A Leader In any organization" anywhere In the world because the people assigned under you will suffer. People like you should always hold the position of a "Mere Messenger"......

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by mikmash(m): 8:09pm On Nov 18, 2021
Kindness218:
If you stay in Kano and you can drive tiper, Howo and foton quote me.

Is this still on?
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by stanliwise(m): 9:39pm On Nov 18, 2021
denobaba:
You are very smart. There's value in what the Op posted also, but he missed a good point about looking out for one's interest as much as one may seek to add value.

Any value added to your company without commensurate benefit to you in terms of personal development and financial compensation is ultimately a loss to the employee concerned.

No one is ever remembered for service to an employer but the value one adds to oneself remains for life.
I second with everything you have said.
You got everything spot on.
Especially the second paragraph. I wish Op Knows this

2 Likes

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by stanliwise(m): 9:42pm On Nov 18, 2021
Eze2000:

Now it's your turn to talk through your teeth.

We employer association have a saying... everybody steal but Nigerians steal too much.

Share will not stop them from robbing you blind.

Percentage of profits is what I give or commissions
Chicken change percentage.
Employer association talking about thieves, it simply means they were talking about themselves.
Meanwhile na cruise you dey sha, may be na one sales girl you get. Dey here dey talk dust

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by stanliwise(m): 9:45pm On Nov 18, 2021
cheesy cheesy
Anndrew:
this one na slavery Pro max
grin grin grin
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by alizma: 9:49pm On Nov 18, 2021
Kreamie:
In other words, lick ass/es the best you can. It’ll get you far. undecided
No, you don't need to lick ass, just protect the business like you it's yours.

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Eze2000(m): 10:07pm On Nov 18, 2021
stanliwise:

Chicken change percentage.
Employer association talking about thieves, it simply means they were talking about themselves.
Meanwhile na cruise you dey sha, may be na one sales girl you get. Dey here dey talk dust

Whatever you say but just in case you never noticed.... chicken is so expensive these days.

Cheers!
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by quadriolakunle(m): 10:45pm On Nov 18, 2021
for those saying adding value to a company is a waste of time, but you cant add value to your own business if you ah ve not learnt the art of adding value to other business.

May not be in an official setting, but if you have not had any stint in adding value to an organisation, it may be hard doing it for yourself.

Also, don't always make an example of the worst case, most of the CEOs of top 20 companies in Nigeria started as employees in the firms, and are even still employees and they are doing way better than most ppl their age struggling to put a business together.

It is still about adding value. If Dangote did not start a company by chose to work as a business manager in another company, giving his diligence, he would be a world class CEO by now, may be not as rich, but still a billionaire.

So, it boils down to being Valuable.

Let me end on this note. you guys starting our business, you also need to have the eyes to pick talents, valuable ones..if you are not it yourself, you will end up getting ppl that will suck you dry.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Nobody: 11:15pm On Nov 18, 2021
Evolutionlove:

Lol I thought as much, I have always have the feeling you must be a low l*fe suffer head. Imagine so na Tipper you dey drive. Well still better than staying Idle. But I don't pray you ever hold any "Political Office or A Leader In any organization" anywhere In the world because the people assigned under you will suffer. People like you should always hold the position of a "Mere Messenger"......
man why? where do u know me nd what did i do to you?
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Kelechi009: 2:53am On Nov 19, 2021
stanliwise:

Company will keep you because of your perceived worth and not just what you give to the company perse. Infact if you ask me which is better,
I would say you first work on your worth and let your service value flow flawlessly without you breaking a sweat. The reverse will only end you up in tears.

Think deeper

If your boss is using motivational word to whine your head, better wake up. While you try to give your best you must never get caught up and always remember that you will only remain relevant base on worth and your skill level. People kill themselves day and night in the road of extra miles.

Omo no go dull o

The only time I will go extra mile in a company is if it increase my skill and worth but say because of say make bosses dey feel me. Dem go old.
The only promise I will fulfill is to do my task which I signed for and the rest of the story are left to my self improvement and personal decisions.

BOTTOM LINE: Only indulge if there is a combined interest (your interest and the company interest) or else na road of extra miles you go retire.

It is quite easy to recognize people who have never seen life or who just got out of school and received their first job.

E go shock am soon, na small pikin dey worry am.

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by abiambo(m): 4:33am On Nov 19, 2021
SundayNightGist:
Employers only recognize and reward those who take the initiative to add tangible value to the company.

It's not enough to do what is expected of you or what is written in your employment letter (JD). You have to strive to go the extra mile, or else you'll just realize that you're on your own busy making efforts on monotonous activities count for nothing- not money, not attention, not even promotion!

Maybe your job doesn’t add value… but you cannot afford to look at the world from only ur vantage point
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by lexy2014: 5:18am On Nov 19, 2021
SundayNightGist:

Some employers tell their staff these things. If yours didn't tell u, doesn't mean no employer does
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by CoolAmbience(m): 8:54am On Nov 19, 2021
SundayNightGist:
You add practical value by making sure you're supplying work or ideas capable of:

1. saving your company money
2. making your company money
3. helping your company to make an impact
4. giving your company any form of competitive edge
5. giving your company a good name

Oga, Nigerian employers do not give a hoot how much value you bring to their businesses.

During my years as an employee, I took my CEO to North America to close two great exclusive business deals, for Africa within 3 months of joining the company as Head of Engineering & Procurement, for a stake in his business....what did he do upon our closure of those deals? He could not even fulfill his promise of a salary raise. According to him then, he had tried to get a US visa for decades, my idea made this possible for him...but how did he repay me.

Abeg, leave all the corporate value addition talk. If you have the capacity to add value, add it to yourself...start your own business, no matter how small.

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Kindness218: 6:09pm On Nov 19, 2021
Abba114:
is the offer still valid?

Yes.
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Kindness218: 6:10pm On Nov 19, 2021
mikmash:

Is this still on?

Yes
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by mediclife1987(m): 4:56am On Nov 21, 2021
stanliwise:

Think deeper

Omo no go dull o

Hmm, this is quite deep. Can you please elucidate.
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by stanliwise(m): 8:32pm On Nov 21, 2021
mediclife1987:

Hmm, this is quite deep. Can you please elucidate.
Ok let me ask you a question.
When you want to get to a place.
Let’s say you wanna travel to Abuja now.

Which flight would you take?
You would take the flight to Abuja.

No matter how amazing or how beautiful a flight going to Anambra may look, how cheap it is or how more comfortable it may look.
You will still not go with it.
Because you have nothing to do with Anambra.

So in journey of life you must only engage with company and activities that would ride you through this journey. Don’t say because of how nice or amazing or passionate you feel about something that wouldn’t take your any forward to where you’re heading, you should engage with such. This is true for career and any field of life

I hope I explain better

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by qanda: 5:08am On Nov 22, 2021
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by SeaTrade(m): 9:20am On Nov 25, 2021
HRSweetness:

In addition to all of these, you must master the art of ass kissing. Know the right asses to kiss and do a damn good job of kissing it well in a less conspicuous manner. cool

At some point this gets hard.
When you've grown it becomes more difficult to kiss ass.
You wanna leave and start something new but you keep asking yourself if it's wise to leave a working system just because of ego issues.
Life is complicated honeslty.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Successful Candidates For Faan Job Recruitment 2015 [full List] / N-Power: 10 Tips You Need / I Got A Job Interview From Facebook,but...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.