Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,505 members, 7,826,908 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ (8306 Views)

Bill Clinton On Donald Trump: ‘the Thing About Branding Is ... You Can Be Fact-f / Clinton On Nigeria: The Lessons Not Learnt / Nigerians Write To Clinton On Nigeria Terror List Suggest Names For No-fly List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by Seun(m): 11:18pm On Jun 10, 2011
Bill and Hillary Clinton both admire Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan — but for different reasons.

At a U.N. AIDS meeting Thursday, the former U.S. president shared the stage with the Nigerian leader, who was dressed in the traditional caftan and black bowler hat of his Niger Delta home.

Clinton congratulated Jonathan on his recent election.

"We wish you well," Clinton said. "I can tell you the secretary of state tells me your hats are always cool."

The ministers, diplomats, AIDS activists and VIPs at the meeting burst into laughter and then applauded loudly.

"And I envy your name," Clinton went on to more laughter. "If I'd had a name like Goodluck I might still be in office."
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hVJrqix2AWRpjKtUp5VEXkOdJlmw?docId=7108335
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by AndreUweh(m): 11:25pm On Jun 10, 2011
This is why I have always clamoured for Nigerians to shun foreign surnames. All this foreign names are so rife in that region our president hails from.
Now whites are making fun of our president's name. What a shame.
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by Sunofgod(m): 11:26pm On Jun 10, 2011
See as dey de mock my president - cry

B.A.S.T.A.R.D Yanks,

GEJ get Name,
GEJ get Swagger,
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by AndreUweh(m): 11:36pm On Jun 10, 2011
One of the reasons I like the Yoruba's is because they cherish their surnames so much. It will be rare to find a Yoruba man with a foreign surname.Perhaps only 2% of them.
But go to Bayelsa and Rivers states, it is voluminous.
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by biachwest: 11:41pm On Jun 10, 2011
That joke could only be refered to as an  insult   before u few guys,but believe me majority of wis and todays men and women wouldnt refer those joke as an insult.
U guys are so  weird.
This is 21 centuary.
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by ektbear: 11:42pm On Jun 10, 2011
Ebelechukwu Azikwe are his other names, maybe he should have used those ones cheesy
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by sbeezy8: 11:43pm On Jun 10, 2011
yea kinda mocking him  . . . .

his hats are always cool? hmmm. . . .

whats so cool about his hat? BILL

[img]http://www.horsehats.com/Images/Hats/Famous_Cowboys/Bill_Clinton.gif
[/img]
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by AndreUweh(m): 11:43pm On Jun 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

Ebelechukwu Azikwe are his other names, maybe he should have used those ones cheesy
Well said.
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by Sunofgod(m): 11:46pm On Jun 10, 2011
biachwest:

That joke could only be refered to as an  insult   before u few guys,but believe me majority of wis and todays men and women wouldnt refer those joke as an insult.
U guys are so  weird.
This is 21 centuary.

Rubbish,

Bill is wishing him 'Bad Luck'
Bill is joking about how he and Hillary mock his hats, Swagger
Bill is joking about how if he had his name he wouldn't have been caught getting his 'Dicckk'' sucked,

I dont find any of it funny -  cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by aljharem3: 11:47pm On Jun 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

gbammmm
that is the name he should be using

which one is jonathan sef

abeg u niaja name
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by aljharem3: 11:48pm On Jun 10, 2011
Seun:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hVJrqix2AWRpjKtUp5VEXkOdJlmw?docId=7108335

although i see this as a form of inferiority complex being displayed by nigerians

it is just a common joke at the president nothing more
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by dempeople(m): 11:48pm On Jun 10, 2011
The day Africans will collectively see the immense beauty in their culture, is the day of their mental liberation. If I were GEJ, I would've changed my names (Goodluck & Jonathan) to Ijaw names but I guess such people really don't have the intelligence to think critically about such things.

Personally, I don't have any other names except Igbo. I very much feel like a walking reflection of my culture.

And yes, just like Andre Uweh wrote, I also admire the yorubas for mostly sticking to their ethnic names. I love it when I see a full Nigerian name devoid of western or arab influence.
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by Mynd44: 11:49pm On Jun 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

Ebelechukwu Azikwe are his other names, maybe he should have used those ones   cheesy

Odechukwu sounds better
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by aljharem3: 11:53pm On Jun 10, 2011
dem_people:

The day Africans will collectively see the immense beauty in their culture, is the day of their mental liberation. If I were GEJ, I would've changed my names (Goodluck & Jonathan) to Ijaw names but I guess such people really don't have the intelligence to think critically about such things.

Personally, I don't have any other names except Igbo. I very much feel like a walking reflection of my culture.

And yes, just like Andre Uweh wrote, I also admire the yorubas for mostly sticking to their ethnic names. I love it when I see a full Nigerian name devoid of western or arab influence.

why can't he use Ebelechukwu Azikwe, is it not part of his name

and moreover that is more nigerian than jonathan,
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by AndreUweh(m): 12:00am On Jun 11, 2011
alj_harem:

why can't he use Ebelechukwu Azikwe, is it not part of his name

and moreover that is more nigerian than jonathan,

dem_people:

Well said, brothers.
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by psykoV(m): 12:01am On Jun 11, 2011
Hey,
THE DAY OUR "CULTURE" BEGINS TO REPRESENT US ALL & NOT JUST THE FEW "nomenklatura"S AMONGST US, THEN I WE CAN START TALKING AND TAKING IN "REFLECTIONS".
I LIVE IN NIGERIA MATE, & I LIVE DAILY WITH THE STRUGGLE OF JUST HOLDING THE SHREDS OF MY HOPES, DREAMS & AMBITIONS TOGETHER IN A COUNTRY THAT JUST DOESN'T GIVE A F**K ABOUT THE COMMON MAN. AND I'M SURE SEVERAL MILLION NIGERIANS AGREE WITH ME.

I'M PLEASED THAT YOU FIND YOURSELF AT ONE WITH 9JA BUT HEY, WE ALL CAN'T BE YOU.

SAID MY PIECE. OUT.
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by EzeUche1(m): 12:04am On Jun 11, 2011
They are mocking his name. Foolish Africans who have English names. I am happy I do not have any foreign names. My name is a mixture of Igbo and Ibibio.

Yorubas do cherish their names more than other group in Nigeria. Followed by the Bini and Igbos.
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by ezeagu(m): 12:05am On Jun 11, 2011
Andre Uweh:

One of the reasons I like the Yoruba's is because they cherish their surnames so much. It will be rare to find a Yoruba man with a foreign surname.Perhaps only 2% of them.
But go to Bayelsa and Rivers states, it is voluminous.

Andre Uweh I'm surprised, I've heard about the grass being greener on the other side, but I wouldn't expect someone like you to say such an incorrect thing about Nigeria. The same Yoruba people with names like Crowther, George and Wellington?
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by EzeUche1(m): 12:06am On Jun 11, 2011
ezeagu:

Andre Uweh I'm surprised, I've heard about the grass being greener on the other side, but I wouldn't expect someone like you to say such an incorrect thing about Nigeria. The same Yoruba people with names like Crowther, George and Wellington?

Were they not the descendants of Krios?
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by sbeezy8: 12:07am On Jun 11, 2011
shocked shocked
see lula?
[img]http://haaren.files./2011/01/jonathan-and-lula2.jpg[/img]

ezeagu:

Andre Uweh I'm surprised, I've heard about the grass being greener on the other side, but I wouldn't expect someone like you to say such an incorrect thing about Nigeria. The same Yoruba people with names like Crowther, George and Wellington? 2%? Really?

thats ifferent they are descendants of former slaves- n surnames did not exist back then.
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by ezeagu(m): 12:08am On Jun 11, 2011
EzeUche!:

Were they not the descendant of Krios?

I was actually told that in order to fit into the Krio elite in Lagos and other urban areas, many native Yoruba changed their surnames to European, Krio sounding names. I don't think someone like Bode George descended from Krio's, although I could be wrong.
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by EzeUche1(m): 12:10am On Jun 11, 2011
sbeezy8:

shocked shocked
see lula?
[img]http://haaren.files./2011/01/jonathan-and-lula2.jpg[/img]

thats ifferent they are descendants of former slaves- n surnames did not exist back then.

Just imagine? Would my favorite Brazilian president ever do that to an Abacha, Yar'Adua or even an Obasanjo?
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by AndreUweh(m): 12:10am On Jun 11, 2011
ezeagu:

Yea, only two percent of the Yorubas still retain those colonial names. They are found mostly in Lagos where the recaptives settled.
But believe me, amongst all the ethnic groups in Nigeria, Yorubas bear their cultural names more than any group. Hausas and Ijaws are the worst.
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by Nobody: 12:12am On Jun 11, 2011
i dont know what GEJ's reaction will be to this insult but i know Patience will be very happy about it.
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by ezeagu(m): 12:13am On Jun 11, 2011
EzeUche!:

Just imagine? Would my favorite Brazilian president ever do that to an Abacha, Yar'Adua or even an Obasanjo?

Please reomve Yar'Adua's name. Not to insult him, but he wasn't exactly the center of attention in those meetings he attended with his pyjamas.

Andre Uweh:

Yea, only two percent of the Yorubas still retain those colonial names. They are found mostly in Lagos where the recaptives settled.
But believe me, amongst all the ethnic groups in Nigeria, Yorubas bear their cultural names more than any group. Hausas and Ijaws are the worst.

I still disagree with you on the Yoruba retaining their native names the most, at least among the middle class and up.
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by AndreUweh(m): 12:14am On Jun 11, 2011
psykoV:

Hey,
THE DAY OUR "CULTURE" BEGINS TO REPRESENT US ALL & NOT JUST THE FEW "nomenklatura"S AMONGST US, THEN I WE CAN START TALKING AND TAKING IN "REFLECTIONS".
I LIVE IN NIGERIA MATE, & I LIVE DAILY WITH THE STRUGGLE OF JUST HOLDING THE SHREDS OF MY HOPES, DREAMS & AMBITIONS TOGETHER IN A COUNTRY THAT JUST DOESN'T GIVE A be intimate with ABOUT THE COMMON MAN. AND I'M SURE SEVERAL MILLION NIGERIANS AGREE WITH ME.

I'M PLEASED THAT YOU FIND YOURSELF AT ONE WITH 9JA BUT HEY, WE ALL CAN'T BE YOU.

SAID MY PIECE. OUT.
This crap above is irrelevant to the thread. Moreover, it is against forum rules to write in capital letters.
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by EzeUche1(m): 12:15am On Jun 11, 2011
ezeagu:

Please reomve Yar'Adua's name. Not to insult him, but he wasn't exactly the center of attention in those meetings he attended with his pyjamas.

They still would not be insulting Yar'Adua though. The people in the West seem to be wary of Muslims.
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by sbeezy8: 12:16am On Jun 11, 2011
ezeagu:

I was actually told that in order to fit into the Krio elite in Lagos and other urban areas, many native Yoruba changed their surnames to European, Krio sounding names. I don't think someone like Bode George descended from Krio's, although I could be wrong.

totally not true infact it was the other way around many krios aside from the ones who kept their name changed their slave names to yoruba names and married into indigenous royal families to be accepted.

alakija a prominent family in lagos orignally had the name Assumpacio'
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by Araboy(m): 12:19am On Jun 11, 2011
Funny when someone  want people to get rid of their foreign names when himself is  using  one . Last I checked  ''Andre ''  is neither an original African or Nigerian name same as Goodluck
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by EzeUche1(m): 12:21am On Jun 11, 2011
I seen a lot of people in Warri with English and Portuguese surnames. It must be a riverine phenomenon. Even many of the riverine Igbo have those surnames.
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by ezeagu(m): 12:21am On Jun 11, 2011
EzeUche!:

They still would not be insulting Yar'Adua though. The people in the West seem to be wary of Muslims.

Yar'Adua George Bush used to pat on the shoulder like boy-boy?

sbeezy8:

totally not true infact it was the other way around many krios aside from the ones who kept their name changed their slave names to yoruba names and married into indigenous royal families to be accepted.

alakija a prominent family in lagos orignally had the name Assumpacio'

Elite creoles purposely trying to integrate with the 'natives'? Something they would never have thought of doing in Liberia or Sierra Leone?

This is what I read on Hebert Macaulay's wiki page oh!

Herbert Macaulay was an unlikely champion of the masses. A grandson of Ajayi Crowther, the first African bishop of the Niger Territory, he was born into a Lagos that was divided politically into groups arranged in a convenient pecking order – the British rulers who lived in the posh Marina district, the Saros and other slave descendants who lived to the west, and the Brazilians who lived behind the whites in the Portuguese Town. Behind all three lived the real Lagosians, the masses of indigenous Yoruba people, disliked and generally ignored by their privileged neighbours. It was not until Macaulay’s generation that the Saros and Brazilians even began to contemplate making common cause with the masses.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Macaulay

I don't know if it is incorrect/exaggerated or not.
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by EzeUche1(m): 12:23am On Jun 11, 2011
There were Krios present in Onitsha as well if people have forgotten. I wonder what happened to them. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Atiku Support Organisation Dissolves Structures, Liaison Officers Nationwide / The 1978 Nigerian Land Use Act / $10 Million Missing From Nigeria US Embassy Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.