Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? (18026 Views)

5 Smart Ways To Make A Nigerian Lady Marry You. / Can You Marry An Illiterate? / At What Age Should A Guy/lady Marry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by favogo11: 4:18pm On Jun 11, 2011
A friend has a suitor who is a businessman but is confused because the man did not go to school while she is almost through with her Masters Degree. At times they do not agree on some issues due to their different ways of reasoning. She is afraid the man might feel intimidated later, which is typical of our men these days! What should she do? Should she go ahead with the marriage or not?
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by snowdrops(m): 4:20pm On Jun 11, 2011
if they love each other, then what the heck they should tie the knot. love is blind you know.
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by Dyt(f): 4:24pm On Jun 11, 2011
Well nottin eva goes smooth
even wit literates 2
all dey nid s understandin
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jun 11, 2011
If the person is intelligent why not?

Lack of education can be fixed but lack of intelligence is lifelong.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by miteolu(m): 4:46pm On Jun 11, 2011
Yes they should marry. Marriage is more than education. Education literacy gives u guiding principles of basic things of life. Marriage is essential for all.literacy or illeracy is not compulsory but marry is mandatory. Many things could be done by literates to help illeracy world. Literacy is a privelegde. Many elites find it diffult to get balance marriage.
I wish them best of luck
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by upendo98(f): 8:12pm On Jun 11, 2011
People lets not be blind and say Love is blind. And we wonder why many mariages are breaking??I dont belive that love is blind.  love should not be blind.Who came up with that anyway??
I am not seeing any mental compatibility here yet we keep talking about it. As an African I think it would be much better if it was the other way round coz African men hate to be intimidated especially with stuff like career and money.
Marriage is no bed of roses. And when things get ugly trust me at times that lovely dovey feeling that made you blind during courtship flies out of the window and real ugly stuff come to the surface. That dont mean you dont love each other.
Nw how are they gonna make major decisions like Investing,Kids,Moving/building house, when the guy is already labelled 'Illiterate'??
She must be extremely exremely humble and be willing to agree with the man's decision however silly since hes gonna be the head and may not be willing to be 'ruled over'.If she will be bringing her masters up everytime they want to make decision, then woe unto the man.
Can she marry him? of course.After they patch that grey area.
Prevention is better than cure you know.

I have just seen many marriages go down coz of overlooking these 'minor issues during courtship.They turn ugly when you marry so sort them out first befor u say I do.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by Mynd44: 8:43pm On Jun 11, 2011
Take an example from GEJ AND THE FIRST LADY would you want your spouce calling herself a widow while you are alive?

1 Like

Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by MrsChima(f): 8:44pm On Jun 11, 2011
No.
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by Mynd44: 8:46pm On Jun 11, 2011
@OP, Hope your question has been answered?
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by Blazay(m): 8:50pm On Jun 11, 2011
Yes.
But on one condition.
He must NOT be a Nigerian or an African. kiss

I could marry an uneducated Chinese farmer or stark illiterate American redneck.

But an illiterate Nigerian or African? Totally out of the question!

Hell no! grin
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by ajibolaaf: 8:51pm On Jun 11, 2011
my name is afeez
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by md4real(m): 8:56pm On Jun 11, 2011
Why not? A typical alaba ibo man with no western education buh alot of money to spread around is surely a good husband materia. Love knows no boundary o.
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by md4real(m): 8:58pm On Jun 11, 2011
Why not? A typical alaba ibo man with no western education buh alot of money to spread around is surely a good husband materia. Love knows no boundary o.
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by Mynd44: 8:58pm On Jun 11, 2011
^^^WTF who the heck is this? Who cares about your name?
oh wait he is a first timer.
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jun 11, 2011
favogo11:

A friend has a suitor who is a businessman but is confused because the man did not go to school while she is almost through with her Masters Degree. At times they do not agree on some issues due to their different ways of reasoning. She is afraid the man might feel intimidated later, which is typical of our men these days! What should she do? Should she go ahead with the marriage or not?
wheather love her or not! the man must be feeling @ bolded
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by Natasha2(f): 9:47pm On Jun 11, 2011
yes oh there's no problem in it even if she gets married to an educated man they will still have problems , To find a good husband is difficult oh so I advice she marries him if they truly love each other
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by Concept(m): 9:48pm On Jun 11, 2011
Have you watched Fuji house of commotion? Ehen ehen na the lifestyle be dat. However you may be lucky to have one that wants to learn ,meaning shine your eye well well do not go for stark illiterate and e go better for you thereafter.
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by Goldieluks: 9:50pm On Jun 11, 2011
If the man is God fearing,caring,loving,understanding,then she should go ahead and marry him.
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by octar6: 9:57pm On Jun 11, 2011
did u say illitrate man?
wahala dey na.cuz they can never agree cos of the level of his reasoning.believe me,the man will never feel comfortable at the long run.
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by Natasha2(f): 10:04pm On Jun 11, 2011
is he a functional illiterate?
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by redsun(m): 10:04pm On Jun 11, 2011
Formal education sometimes subject peeps to life time stupidity.Most peeps are schooled to follow notions not to think.
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by Debokan: 10:07pm On Jun 11, 2011
They should go ahead afterall some graduates behave like illetrates.

1 Like

Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by Natasha2(f): 10:08pm On Jun 11, 2011
^^lmao @ some graduates behave like illiterates grin grin
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by upendo98(f): 10:29pm On Jun 11, 2011
very funny again. Wow Funtional illiterates'?? ,Illiterate graduates' lol those are new ones. mmh .
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by molosco: 10:45pm On Jun 11, 2011
they can go ahead and marry if they truely love each other and are compatible. i have seen a barrister married to an illitrate man and later send him to school, today he is a graduate.
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by fxtopedia(m): 10:47pm On Jun 11, 2011
favogo11:

A friend not you,  Why do people like deceiving others? If you are the prey let us know so as
to give right dose rather pretending! Gbeborun nie joor if you are not the one involved! rofl
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by SSaemoenl(m): 11:16pm On Jun 11, 2011
At times,I wonder what we called Illiterate and intelligent. May be speaking grammar and nothing else, Ciao angry
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by Syenite(m): 11:19pm On Jun 11, 2011
fxtopedia:

A friend not you,  Why do people like deceiving others? If you are the prey let us know so as
to give right dose rather pretending! Gbeborun nie joor if you are not the one involved! rofl

Thank you fxtopedia, I was thinking same too. All the same.

You didn't specify the guys level of education/illetracy.U know
illetracy has levels eg pry sch drop-out, sec sch drop-out, Sch cert. holder etc. My advice is you know this man very well, if he is matured in his reasoning and has high self esteem(not intimidated by your level of education) and u consider your age difference appropriate u can marry him. After-all educated couples also have diferring opinions about issues.

(this is common among Igbos)
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by taosola(m): 11:25pm On Jun 11, 2011
Does being literate mean being intelligent or being financially capable? Does being literate equate to being EDUCATED?. What love has got to do with being literate or illiterate? Love is of three angles which include PASSION, COMMITMENT and INTIMACY. If you have all these towards someone, definitely you are ready to take that person for who and what he/she is.

All a man needs is ability of being a really husband. He should be financially O.k and ready to tolerate his wife to some extent. We have seen marriages between graduates that collapsed, many marriages between two educated spouses have broken. The syndrome of the rich marries the rich and the poor marry the poor, graduates marry graduates is becoming obsolete. Marry whoever you love and take him or her for who he/she is provided he/she also gives you such love.
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by Nobody: 11:37pm On Jun 11, 2011
@poster
the important question here is: can they resolve their difference amicably? if yes then they should go on and get married but if their differences is too much then they should NOT. . . . . . . . . . especially if they see things differently!
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by Hardeyorlah(f): 11:42pm On Jun 11, 2011
they will always see things differently.
Re: Should A Graduate Lady Marry An Illiterate Man? by jonced(m): 11:48pm On Jun 11, 2011
@topic

I think ur frnd nids to b very careful. I am not sure the xtent of illiteracy, but if the man did not read beyond primary sch., then there might b a problem. Trust me, the way a well educated person reasons is quite different from an illiterate. Since marriage is a lifelon commitment, so many issues will arise along the way that will require both parties to reason on the same wavelength to resolve amicably. I am not saying she shouldnt go ahead, but she should consider it very carefully because it could b a real challenge to cope.

best of luck

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I'm In the Room Doing This, But She's In the Kitchen Doing This [Picture] / 5 Tips To Make Your Relationship Stronger In 2019 / Why Don't Girls Wear Bra This Days?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.