Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate (8648 Views)

There Were No Elections For The Senate Leadership - Senator Akume / Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila / Lagos 2015: 11 Out Of 12 Guber Aspirants Reject Tinubu's Sham Primaries To Hold (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by Obiagu1(m): 1:54am On Jun 14, 2011
Fresh crisis appears to be brewing in the camp of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) following the rejection of the choice of Senator George Akume as the Senate Minority Leader by senators of the party and other senators from opposition parties.

The rejection of Akume, who is the preferred choice of the leader of ACN, Senator Bola Tinubu, as Minority Leader, was said to be predicated on the discovery that the newly amended Senate Rule on Ranking of Senators has effectively shut the door on Akume’s ambition.

It was gathered that Tinubu presided over a stormy meeting of the ACN senators last Thursday, where he attempted to sell the choice of Akume on the them. Most of the senators had believed that Senator Ganiyu Solomon from Lagos would emerge as Minority Leader, having emerged the most ranking senator of the party on the exit of the former leader, Senator Olorunnimbe Mamora.

But Tinubu had insisted on the choice of Akume, which he tried to justify by saying that the South-West should not corner all leadership positions allotted to the ACN in the Senate. He also told the lawmakers that the choice of Akume would help the party’s growth outside the South-West.

It was discovered that when Tinubu broached the idea of Senate Minority Leader at the meeting, senators immediately directed attention to Senator Solomon, but Tinubu began to cajole them to look the way of Akume.

He was also said to have gauged the opinion of the senators ahead of the meeting and called some of their godfathers in his attempt to soften the ground for Akume.

Sources in the National Assembly, however, told Sunday Tribune that the Senate as an institution had decided to protect its rules and that any attempt to violate them by any of the parties, including the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), would be resisted.

It was gathered that even if Tinubu succeeded in forcing the ACN to adopt Akume as Minority Leader, the Senate would reject his choice on the basis of the Rule on Ranking.

In accordance with that rule, Senator Solomon is the most ranked senator of the ACN at the moment.

Sources said the rule affected not only the time somebody had been elected into the Senate, but also when and if he or she had been elected into the House of Representatives before.

The new Rule on Ranking, Rule 3(2b) of the Senate Standing Orders 2007 as amended states that: “In determining ranking, the following order shall apply: (I) senators returning based on number of times re-elected; (ii) senators who had been members of the House of Representatives; (iii) senators who had been members of a state House of Assembly or any other legislative House; (iv) senators elected as senators for the first time.”

The new rule replaced Rule 97(f) which provided that nominations of senators to serve as principal officers and chairmen of committees or any parliamentary delegations should be in accordance with the ranking of senators in which member(s) previously elected into the Senate were granted precedence.

It was gathered that since the new rule takes into account a senator previously elected into the House of Representatives, Senator Solomon’s previous election into the House of Representatives in 1999 and 2003 have earned him more ranking than Akume, who was only elected into the Senate in 2007.

Other members of the ACN who have more ranking than Akume include, Senator Ayo Adeseun, who spent two terms as member of the House of Representatives and Senator Sola Adeyeye who was in the House from 2003 to 2007.

From the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP), Senators Maina Maaji Lawan and Ahmed Lawal, rank higher than Akume as well.

It was also learnt that Senator Chris Ngige from Anambra State is also eyeing one of the principal officer positions in the Senate. He was relying on the claim that Senators like Ahmed Sani and Kabiru Gaya were not ranking members before they were made to hold principal officer positions in the last Senate.

Sources, however, said with the amendment to the Senate Ranking Rule of 97(1f), the Senate was set to block any attempt to obstruct ranking as clearly stated in the new Rule 3(2a&b).

Source
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by adejoro76: 2:04am On Jun 14, 2011
Buahaha! Finally the zombie ACN people are waking up to the selfishness of Tinubu. I dey laugh oh!!!!
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by aljharem3: 2:06am On Jun 14, 2011
@op thank you for this topic kiss

tinubu thinks nigeria is like lagos where he can just be imposing candidates, i dey laff oh

people like eko ile and co would come here and defend this bas.tardous thief now angry

please people of nigeria, do not allow that shameless thief tinubu to impose candidates on u,
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by adejoro76: 2:07am On Jun 14, 2011
David Mark is showing that he can match Tinubu brain for brain, money for money, wayo for wayo. Go Mark, tell Tinubu to answer the EFCC call and not try to destabilize the polity with his rascality.
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by aljharem3: 2:09am On Jun 14, 2011
adejoro74.:

David Mark is showing that he can match Tinubu brain for brain, money for money, wayo for wayo. Go Mark, tell Tinubu to answer the EFCC call and not try to destabilize the polity with his rascality.

dont be stu.pid now

a comment or 2 is ok, now u are just acting silly as usual nchara
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by Nobody: 2:14am On Jun 14, 2011
And some zombie NLers are begining to realize that ACN does not end and begin with Tinubu.

We've said it time and time again, ACN does not agree with him, Tinubu can be rejected. He's not the Yorubaland leader.

He's just political devious/ smart.
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by aljharem3: 2:18am On Jun 14, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

And some zombie NLers are begining to realize that ACN does not end and begin with Tinubu.

We've said it time and time again, ACN does not agree with him, Tinubu can be rejected. He's not the Yorubaland leader.

we really hope so ooo

when people like eko-ile are here telling us he is awo, even the tinubu himself is doing everything in his power to look like a man he disrespected.

we really hope so
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by Nobody: 2:21am On Jun 14, 2011
alj_harem:

we really hope so ooo

when people like eko-ile are here telling us he is awo, even the tinubu himself is doing everything in his power to look like a man he disrespected.

we really hope so

This is why Non SW'ners should really mind their business when it comes to politics in the SW. Esp SE'ners with no politic morale, I give it to the Northerners tho.

You cannot go into Osun or Ekiti and say that Tinubu is their leader. You'd leave with one less anatomy.

At the same time,  I understand why una dey watch Tinubu closely. Sneaky huh? cheesy grin
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by aljharem3: 2:24am On Jun 14, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

This is why Non SW'ners should really mind their business when it comes to politics in the SW. Esp SE'ners with no politic morale, I give it to the Northerners tho.

You cannot go into Osun or Ekiti and say that Tinubu is their leader. You'd leave with one less anatomy.

At the same time,  I understand why una dey watch Tinubu closely. Sneaky huh? cheesy grin

ok my wife, i trust u kiss
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by adejoro76: 2:55am On Jun 14, 2011
I guess it takes two to mind their business. When the SW learns to mind their business, the SE will reciprocate. Until then, its bite me, I bite you. Shikena. Hypocrisy dey smell. Tinubu is Yoruba leader, take it or die trying to. I guess those in ACN who resent him are the Ngiges of ACN not the Bolajisgrin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by kasiem(m): 4:49am On Jun 14, 2011
The people that even made this criminal (that claims to be tinubu) to have some sense of belonging by identifying with his company, are the people that peeves me.
Ileke-IdI:

woman this a clear case of fighting over ego. How can make this kind of claim when u guy naively buttressed the high undemocratic act by voting family members of tinubu that were imposed on u guys?
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by dayokanu(m): 5:36am On Jun 14, 2011
What is wrong with voting Tinubus family members

Didnt Americans vote George H Bushs son as governor of Texas
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by EkoIle1: 7:33am On Jun 14, 2011
kasiem:

The people that even made this criminal (that claims to be tinubu) to have some sense of belonging by identifying with his company, are the people that peeves me. woman this a clear case of fighting over ego. How can make this kind of claim when u guy naively buttressed the high undemocratic act by voting family members of tinubu that were imposed on u guys?

Must you people keep displaying your ignorance by repeating this dum.b nonsense?

The only people that imposes are the voters, politicians can not force people to the polls and watch them cast votes on behalf of their preferences. The electorates vote, not the politicians and that is democracy, not your silly garbage.

Some of you really sound like elementary school kids for real.
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by enyojo(f): 7:39am On Jun 14, 2011
adejoro74.:

Buahaha! Finally the zombie ACN people are waking up to the selfishness of Tinubu. I dey laugh oh!!!!

What is selfishness in giving up a post that can naturally fall for a SWner for a NCner?
I assume u have a brain. Please use it.
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by EkoIle1: 7:43am On Jun 14, 2011
alj_harem:

we really hope so ooo

when people like eko-ile are here telling us he is awo,
even the tinubu himself is doing everything in his power to look like a man he disrespected.

we really hope so

And you got that from me? Why do you people lie so much?  I know lying and deception is your national character, but lying is evil and bearing false witness is a sin.

Is Tinubu's name or other name is Awolowo? Abi how is that possible gan sef. Are you a day old baby ni? What a dum.b a/ss.

I bet if I ask you to show us how and where Tinubu disrespected Awo, your ignorant a/ss go disappear with nothing to show us. Weak and shallow clowns like you I try not to pay attention to, you are worse than a troll.
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by enyojo(f): 7:49am On Jun 14, 2011
OP, why did u hide the Source?
TRIBUNE AT IT AGAIN!
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by EkoIle1: 7:53am On Jun 14, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

It beats me why you keep bashing and trashing your own just to please these NL clowns. They trash you, they trash your people, they even trash your leaders and you join with your own stamp of approval to prove them right? Why? Just why? Do you have any pride in yourself and your own people?  You keep sounding like these haters and SW bashers on NL.

Do you even know the meaning of the word leader?

Now, Who elected Awolowo Yoruba Leader? Or for that matter Akintola? MKO Abiola? Ajasin? Ige? Adesanya? Where and when? These Leaders were not elected but by their actions and proclivities to defend the political rights of the people and their cultural heritage, the people follow them unanimously. There is usually no election. No contention. Leaders do not demand respect or 'capture' their followership like the people you know. Their followership is natural and organic - right from the grassroots. Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has shown these traits of leadership over and over again. That is why he is a Yoruba Leader.

Asiwaju left AD with his followers when it was clear that the AD we all knew had been compromised. Since he left, what has happened to the AD? Tinubu should be given credit for his foresightedness in sensing the troubles with AD which - with all due respect - the leaders of Afenifere like Senator Adesanya and Chief Bola Ige did not see on time back then. The old men were too trusting of a wily fox like Obasanjo who came to them with guile and swept the rug from under their feet. It is still unexplainable that a party would lose 5 states at a go in Nigeria.

It is to Tinubu's eternal credit that Yoruba still have a leg to stand on politically today in Nigeria including your Osun and Ekiti. His political sagacity led him to form ACN which today is the only viable opposition in Nigeria. Give him credit.
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by EkoIle1: 7:56am On Jun 14, 2011
enyojo:

OP, why did u hide the Source?
TRIBUNE AT IT AGAIN!

That's what cowards do, at least he sabi where to go for his daily dose of rubbish and negativity
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by ektbear: 10:19am On Jun 14, 2011
Tribune? Useless
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jun 14, 2011
Eko Ile:

It beats me why you keep bashing and trashing your own just to please these NL clowns. They trash you, they trash your people, they even trash your leaders and you join with your own stamp of approval to prove them right? Why? Just why? Do you have any pride in yourself and your own people?  You keep sounding like these haters and SW bashers on NL.

Now, Who elected Awolowo Yoruba Leader? Or for that matter Akintola? MKO Abiola? Ajasin? Ige? Adesanya? Where and when? These Leaders were not elected but by their actions and proclivities to defend the political rights of the people and their cultural heritage, the people follow them unanimously. There is usually no election. No contention. Leaders do not demand respect or 'capture' their followership like the people you know. Their followership is natural and organic - right from the grassroots. Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has shown these traits of leadership over and over again. That is why he is a Yoruba Leader.

Asiwaju left AD with his followers when it was clear that the AD we all knew had been compromised. Since he left, what has happened to the AD? Tinubu should be given credit for his foresightedness in sensing the troubles with AD which - with all due respect - the leaders of Afenifere like Senator Adesanya and Chief Bola Ige did not see on time back then. The old men were too trusting of a wily fox like Obasanjo who came to them with guile and swept the rug from under their feet. It is still unexplainable that a party would lose 5 states at a go in Nigeria.

It is to Tinubu's eternal credit that Yoruba still have a leg to stand on politically today in Nigeria including your Osun and Ekiti. His political sagacity led him to form ACN which today is the only viable opposition in Nigeria. Give him credit.

Thrashing who?

To please who? ROTFLMAO!! Those clowns? grin cheesy

No thrashing, Tinubu is an ACN leader, and his political might has helped the SW step a steady foot into politics. My point is that Tinubu's words arent always going to be last. ACN has shown that they can stand up if he missteps, that's my main concern.
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by Ystranger: 12:49pm On Jun 14, 2011
Eko Ile:

I know that was directed at Ileke. Having followed you a while now, i see you as a very calculative person. You pick your opponents. Why not direct than crapp to people who know and who understand Nigerian politics, and people old enough to know their right from their left. People with deep understanding of Yoruba culture and western politics. Why not say that to Katsumoto? Or DK or Kilode?

Awolowo was not elected? Ode! Just to humour you, I will direct you to his book: Adventure in Power (page 314), published 1985, by Macmillian.

Ajasin? so what did the Ooni Okunade and other Obas that went to his house to inform him as the choice of Yoruba leader did? To just hang out with him?

BTW, how old are you?
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by larriking: 12:54pm On Jun 14, 2011
you always get what you want but not what you need but you will always survive.
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by thundaBOLT: 1:04pm On Jun 14, 2011
Eko Ile may GOD continue to Bless you and increase your knowledge for knowing, saying and standing by the the truth. and also for giving honour to whom honour is due.

Bola Ahmed Tinubu is indeed is[b] ASIWAJU[/b] of YORUBA LAND

Long Live Eko-ile, Long Live NL, Long Live Asiwaju of Yoruba land, Live SW Long live NAIJA

Once again God bless u Broda
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by aljharem3: 1:04pm On Jun 14, 2011
Eko Ile:

Must you people keep displaying your ignorance by repeating this dum.b nonsense?

The only people that imposes are the voters, politicians can not force people to the polls and watch them cast votes on behalf of their preferences. The electorates vote, not the politicians and that is democracy, not your silly garbage.

Some of you really sound like elementary school kids for real.

Eko Ile:

And you got that from me? Why do you people lie so much?  I know lying and deception is your national character, but lying is evil and bearing false witness is a sin.

Is Tinubu's name or other name is Awolowo? Abi how is that possible gan sef. Are you a day old baby ni? What a dum.b a/ss.

I bet if I ask you to show us how and where Tinubu disrespected Awo, your ignorant a/ss go disappear with nothing to show us
. Weak and shallow clowns like you I try not to pay attention to, you are worse than a troll.

dont be silly my friend, and dont insult our intelligence  

why do people like u call tinubu awo of ur time, silly anology isnt it

no own voted for remi, i can tell u that, i was at the polling staton and remi did not win but as usual the rich can rig

so shut up, ok

no one would for for tinubu's wife elder sister to win as well]

was there primaries in ACN , or that is not part of democracy

why did tinubu tell his henchmen in office how to vote, is he their god

no vex me oooo, ideeiot
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by aljharem3: 1:06pm On Jun 14, 2011
thundaBOLT:

Eko Ile may GOD continue to Bless you and increase your knowledge for knowing, saying and standing by the the truth. and also for giving honour to whom honour is due.

Bola Ahmed Tinubu is indeed is[b] ASIWAJU[/b] of YORUBA LAND

Long Live Eko-ile, Long Live NL, Long Live Asiwaju of Yoruba land, Live SW Long live NAIJA

Once again God bless u Broda

i hope u are talking of irabiji not lagos the commericial capital

take ur nonosense tinubu to osun state, ideeiots
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by aljharem3: 1:09pm On Jun 14, 2011
Eko Ile:

It is to Tinubu's eternal credit that Yoruba still have a leg to stand on politically today in Nigeria including your [b]Osun and Ekiti. His political sagacity led him to form ACN which today is the only viable opposition in Nigeria. Give him credit.[/b]

chai!!!!!!!

hom much are u getting for this rubbish

are u his PRO or smething

who are u to even talk for tinubu himself

guy go sleep and enjoy ur stolen riches by tinubu

but please dont agur about things u know nothing about,
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by thundaBOLT: 1:16pm On Jun 14, 2011
@ alj Harem why are you so cross about pple saying the truth. for your information TINUBU is the only Reason why SWners still have say in Nigerian politics.

if Not him the SWners will have just be sidelined like the SEners.

so pls stop bullshitting and rubbishing the hero of democracy
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by juman(m): 1:20pm On Jun 14, 2011
Sai Asiwaju Tinubu, the leader of our time.
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by peanut123: 1:26pm On Jun 14, 2011
How can someone say Tinubu is selfish when his action according to the so-called Tribune article show that he's being selfless and calculative for the expansion and protection of ACN. Again, Tinubu is very wise unlike some people on NL who just reply to any post without talking.

How can someone say nobody voted for Mrs. Tinubu? Well, I did, and everybody in my polling booth just kept voting for ACN. If you say, they rigged, why didnt you protect your vote. I waited to witness counting because I knew that Tinubu haters like some of you would say there was rigging.

The simple truth is that if there was no Tinubu today in Yorubaland. The Yoruba race would have fizzled out in Nigerian politics. You guys need a leader with foresight, name someone else in Yoruba land today.

Tinubu has laid a foundation for you Yorubas, dont misuse it.

By the way, I'm not Yoruba but I admire Tinubu having watched his actions closely.
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by bisiaet: 1:43pm On Jun 14, 2011
Why would they reject him? They must accept him with force, I think they said Tinubu is the best so let them face it. It is their cup of tea, he has be doing the business of imposition in the party for long and still my fellow party member still see him as all in all of ACN so they must accept any candidate Tinubu bring forward that is a good democracy hurrraaayyy pls Mr Tinubu please get more candidate and impose them plsss. Correct rubbish and nonsense!!!!!!! IMAO!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Senate Leadership: ACN, Minority Parties Reject Tinubu’s Candidate by fxtopedia(m): 2:01pm On Jun 14, 2011
The END of a new beginning in  ACN!
There is time for everything na,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Beasts Of No Nation - Animal Can't Dash Me HUMAN RIGHTS / Nigeria’s Crude Oil: A Curse Or Blessing? / Nigeria’s 26 Power Plants’ Capacity Drops By 70%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.