Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,425 members, 7,826,656 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion (14576 Views)

Malami Writes Buhari, Admits Nigeria Cannot Win OPL 245 Court Cases / ‘I Owned Lucrative Businesses’ — Malami Writes Buhari Over Corruption Allegation / Remove Magu - Malami Writes Buhari. Accuses EFCC Boss Of Money Diversion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by Loveurneighbour: 7:17am On Dec 17, 2021
The Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN), has written a letter to the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), highlighting the problems with the inclusion of mandatory direct primaries in the Electoral Act amendment bill.

The PUNCH on Thursday gathered that the AGF’s letter on the amended Electoral Act bill was received by the President two weeks ago.

When contacted on the telephone, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, confirmed that the President had received a communication from Malami on the bill.

He however said he was not privy to the content of the letter.

“Yes. I can confirm that the President has received a communication from the honourable minister on the matter but honestly, I am not privy to the content of the communication. I have not been briefed,” the presidential aide said.

But a source at the Ministry of Justice told one of our correspondents that Malami informed the President that making direct primaries mandatory for all political parties could cause confusion.

An impeccable source in the ministry said, “The AGF has sent his advice on the Electoral Act amendment bill to the President. He has highlighted the problems of the bill.

The Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN), has written a letter to the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), highlighting the problems with the inclusion of mandatory direct primaries in the Electoral Act amendment bill.

“The AGF, however, did not quote any section of the law that makes it illegal which is unlike the previous letters he writes to the President.”

Also, source in the AGF office confirmed to The PUNCH that indeed Malami had written to the President.

He explained that the AGF was worried that forcing all parties to adopt the direct mode of primary would mean that all existing parties would have to change their constitutions.

The source stated, “The office of the AGF sent its position two weeks ago. They raised a number of issues. For instance, if you are asking political parties to run direct primaries, from a strictly legal point of view that would mean that only new political parties will be bound by the law.

“Existing political parties will not, because they have registered their parties, they have filed their constitution long time ago on the basis of what is contained there. And most of it is a mixture, if you check the parties, direct and indirect primaries are stated.

“So, are you going to change their constitutions for them? So, this is the legal opinion. But this is just one. There are several other legal positions which favours and disfavours the bill because, as the Minister of Justice, his duty is to tell the president the pros and the cons. It is now up to the President to decide on which way to go.”

The Spokesman for the AGF, Dr Umar Gwandu, when contacted, told The PUNCH that he was not in a position to confirm the development.
https://punchng.com/agf-writes-buhari-says-mandatory-direct-primaries-will-cause-confusion/?amp

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by hisexcellency34: 7:20am On Dec 17, 2021
Madlami..one of the problems we have in this country

102 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by JavaScript9091: 7:38am On Dec 17, 2021
Immediately I saw that tinubu was in support of direct primaries I knew that the idea was dead on arrival because the nothern politicians who are hell bent on clipping tinubus wings won't support such

80 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by bcomputer101: 7:43am On Dec 17, 2021
Quota system SAN

The most useless SAN in Nigeria history.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by Loveurneighbour: 8:10am On Dec 17, 2021
JavaScript9091:
Immediately I saw that tinubu was in support of direct primaries I knew that the idea was dead on arrival because the nothern politicians who are hell bent on clipping tinubus wings won't support such
That's politics for you

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by basty: 8:15am On Dec 17, 2021
JavaScript9091:

So you are happy now?
Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by Leverage2021: 8:19am On Dec 17, 2021
It would shock bullion van

Almost 2022 and you are still begging buhari to support you like an orphan

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by Racoon(m): 8:20am On Dec 17, 2021
Perhaps the presidency cabal are up to something sinister. Buhari benefitted from the delegate system so why now forcing the sole direct primary system on the polity? Direct primary enhances participatory democracy as against the easily influenced indirect delegate system.

However, why are these people not concerned with passing the amended electoral law to strengthen our electoral hence democratic processes instead of obessessing themselves on how the political parties produce their electoral candidates?

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by Racoon(m): 8:21am On Dec 17, 2021
Leverage2021:
It would shock bullion van
Hehehe! Same strategy they used to scheme out former governor Akinwunmi Ambode during the last gubernatorial primary in Lagos.

14 Likes

Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by Maxymilliano(m): 8:28am On Dec 17, 2021
Our defacto President has spoken. His decision is final as far as this administration is concerned.

17 Likes

Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by Leverage2021: 8:33am On Dec 17, 2021
Racoon:
Hehehe! Same strategy they used to scheme out former governor Akinwunmi Ambode during the last gubernatorial primary in Lagos.
Greed would make a man fall hard like potato

He is aware the leadership of the party is not on his side yet want to go into a contest

Kano,Kaduna,kastina,Zamfara,Jigawa,Sokoto,kebbi party structures already in pro buharists hands

Yobe,bauchi,Adamawa, gombe,Taraba party structures in pro buharists hands

Plateau,Kogi,nassarawa,Benue,FCT party structures in pro buharists hands

Rivers,Delta,Akwa Ibom,Bayelsa,cross river party structures in pro buharists hands

All eastern party structures are anti bullion van

Ekiti party structures already in pro buharists hands

Let the convention and primaries begin

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by fergie001: 8:35am On Dec 17, 2021
"Nods in affirmation"
Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by newbornmacho(m): 9:01am On Dec 17, 2021
Illiterate AGF

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by jeff1993: 9:10am On Dec 17, 2021
Dem don start

Please NL family .... I need someone to mentor me on any digital money making skilll ..... I am broke and I don't want to be broke next year.... U can reach me out on my email olisajeff@gmail.com
Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by Cidood: 9:10am On Dec 17, 2021
newbornmacho:
Illiterate AGF
Hearing him talk, you realize how dumb he is

If not for quota system

2 Likes

Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by Sharon6(f): 9:11am On Dec 17, 2021
Malami the writer cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by techWriter5: 9:11am On Dec 17, 2021
Madlami..one of the problems we have in this country... You know, check my PROFILE if you need help with your dissertation, assignment, or thesis.
Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by chrisxxx(m): 9:11am On Dec 17, 2021
Wike agrees as well. These people know where they commonly agree.
Let parties decide on how to choose their candidates. This is no problem.
House should amend this and get this pass within the allowable time to permit implementation before 2023 election.

4 Likes

Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by chloride6: 9:11am On Dec 17, 2021
Let them pass the mandatory direct primary elections but postpone implementation till 2031..

That way we know we have 8 years to get ready..

We don't know when next senate will amend Electoral Bill..
Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by bigpicture001: 9:11am On Dec 17, 2021
JavaScript9091:

You don't know politics at all.. who proposed direct primary to outs ambode..?

Who proposed direct primary at the APC in Edo that made obaseki to lose..

Both are tinubu.. that is his most trusted weapon to win a primary election... He is the one pushing for this direct primary

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by RichDad1(m): 9:12am On Dec 17, 2021
Enemy of the people.
Malami, someday, your time will be up.

1 Like

Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by adelaja70(m): 9:13am On Dec 17, 2021
Leverage2021:

He is aware the leadership of the party is not on his side yet want to go into a contest

Kano,Kaduna,kastina,Zamfara,Jigawa,Sokoto,kebbi party structures already in pro buharists hands

Rivers,Delta,Akwa Ibom,Bayelsa,cross river party structures in pro buharists hands

Na so Buhari tell you?

6 Likes

Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by Judolisco(m): 9:13am On Dec 17, 2021
why u dey write am....jst enter buhari office and tell him......no dey disturb us
u cant sit down in lagos and be dictating things-Buhari 2021

4 Likes

Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by Xeyevov917: 9:13am On Dec 17, 2021
Ontop

Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by Basic123: 9:13am On Dec 17, 2021
Leverage2021:

so,why are they now scared of direct primary. I don't know how Tinubu will specifically or specially benefit from direct primary

3 Likes

Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by israelmao(m): 9:18am On Dec 17, 2021
Malami never sounds technical and excellent in anything related to legal profession or politics I wonder how he became a SAN.Empty head in the corridor of power.

3 Likes

Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by Omooba77: 9:19am On Dec 17, 2021
Loveurneighbour:
https://punchng.com/agf-writes-buhari-says-mandatory-direct-primaries-will-cause-confusion/?amp

Direct primary is good, but who will fund it and logistics? Direct primaries should be Direct posting of voting, not option A4.......
Re: Malami Writes Buhari, Says Mandatory Direct Primaries Will Cause Confusion by Pablo47(m): 9:20am On Dec 17, 2021
JavaScript9091:
The direct primary isn't for selecting Tinubu because he's the sole candidate for APC, all others are just trying to create a story for us to feel there will be contest. Tinubu telling us he supports direct primary against indirect is a political statement. The APC govt knows how to make media broadcast what we will like to hear but no action. Political will without political action

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senate Release Names Of Fuel Subsidy Beneficiaries / I Transported N4.7bn Poll Funds For Obanikoro, Ex-aide Confesses / Why Wike Should Be Expelled From The PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.