Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,408 members, 7,853,807 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 02:37 AM

Kill The African Monarchy? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kill The African Monarchy? (843 Views)

Soldiers Kill The Albani Of Monguno, Boko Haram Kingpin / Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World / What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kill The African Monarchy? by ayanfe(m): 7:27am On Jul 29, 2007
Should the African monarchy, which is a strong part of our cultural heritage be done away with completely or should it be modified?
This is in view of the role of the monarchy in African history both positive (preserving cultural heritage and maintaining law and order) and negative (role in slave trade).

Should we do away with the African monarchy?
Re: Kill The African Monarchy? by denex: 7:45am On Jul 29, 2007
Their functions which you mentioned are all obsolete. For now I'm convinced that all Monarchs around the world should be brought to an end.

It is written in the UN Charter that all humans are born equal. So I don't know why queen Elizabeth or Oba of Lagos should be claiming birthright. They should all go and take up day jobs.
Re: Kill The African Monarchy? by ayanfe(m): 8:26am On Jul 29, 2007
denex:

Their functions which you mentioned are all obsolete. For now I'm convinced that all Monarchs around the world should be brought to an end.

It is written in the UN Charter that all humans are born equal. So I don't know why queen Elizabeth or Oba of Lagos should be claiming birthright. They should all go and take up day jobs.

First equality is not guaranteed in a democracy itself. Apartheid South Africa and Pre-1960s United States were called "democracies". It is the laws of the political system that create equality. The same standard should be applied to the Monarchy. Change the laws, not the system.

The UN charter you cite does not imply a complete destruction of the monarchy. It does redefine the nature of a monarchy. There are many roles of a monarchy. Some are tied to inequality (rights to land, e.t.c). Some are tied to promoting the culture and maintaining peace. I would imagine that the UN charter targets the roles tied to inequality.
Re: Kill The African Monarchy? by denex: 8:38am On Jul 29, 2007
A lot of monarchs are born to rule.

See, there are more than one million things wrong with a monarchy, but I don't even have the time to argue about it. I and my neighbour talked about it some months back and he suggest all Nigerian monarchs be rounded up and executed.

I won't go that far, but I'd put an end to their reign.
Re: Kill The African Monarchy? by naijaway(m): 11:05pm On Jul 30, 2007
I pray that a very disciplined government comes in and abolishes monarchies especially when it involves heridity. Some people always like to put Africa down by corruption, maiming, and all sorts of things but all those monarches are 40% of Africa's problem and everyone seems to turn a blind eye. How can Africa be united with these people in the way knowing is their sabotage that caused Africa to be colonized, knowing that the society will not be equal, knowing that they help governments rig elections, most importantly knowing that their importance ended in 1500s but yet we still have those crooks around doing nothing in a new century.
I have said it a couple of times here that with these monarches in the way of unity and progress for Africa and especially Nigeria; and without action we will unfortunately remain doomed cuz these people have the power just cuz the governments tolerate them. The saying that u cannot ignore an adult elephant in a room really applies to this situation and is even worse when we know the elephant is in the room but yet we take no action, not even to tame it, cripple it, contain it, simply nothing and just shout like a scared woman in time of danger.
Re: Kill The African Monarchy? by snickpick(f): 11:18pm On Jul 30, 2007
where can i get the lastest news about musicians online
Re: Kill The African Monarchy? by redsun(m): 8:50am On Aug 04, 2007
Monarchy is the core foundation of nigeria society due to its diverse and tribal nature,without it,there will be more chaos,what it needs is transformation to meet up with the 21st world,delivery, mobolization,infact, the idea of democracy in nigeria should be questioned,it's not working and probably may need some backups from our traditional values and beliefs that encompasses all.
Re: Kill The African Monarchy? by naijaway(m): 2:28am On Aug 06, 2007
Nigerian democracy is capable of making it if the traditional ruling stuffs are abolished. My problem is not local leadership but old tradition being forced upon people in new times. It shows lack of vision. If we really want the democracy to work we should add traditional values concluded by experts to reshape the constitution instead of allowing some abled oppressors and family breakers to keep ruiling and speaking for people who knows nothing about them because they didn't contest for elections.
Re: Kill The African Monarchy? by BlackMamba(m): 8:21pm On Aug 06, 2007
Where I come from and pretty much the entire Igboland, a mornarch is as influential as the size of his pocket. With enough cash I can become the king of my extended family, with an imposing palace and all the trappings to go with it. Mornachy is never a problem but rather the elitist culture and the controlling influence of the wealthy.

(1) (Reply)

How Many Ex-gorvernors Will Efcc Deal With / Police Alert On Home-made Bombs In Ijawland / I Will Not Declare My Assets. Vp Goodluck Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.