Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,171 members, 7,821,971 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy (3721 Views)

The Oba Of Lagos Is Not A Monarchy. He Is A Duke / Did Someone Suggest That Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy? / Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by KnowAll(m): 1:04pm On Jun 20, 2011
Morocco has chosen to twitch their constitution a little further, the King would be in charge of the Military and Religious matter all other matters would be left to the Prime-Minister of the state.

I think a Monarchy would work wonders in Nigeria(since we have shown and displayed that we cannot manage our affairs without a big brother), but the way we go about it would be by using the 3 Major Monarchs rotationally, the Sultan of Sokoto who has always being the chairman of the Traditional councils in Northern Nigeria. The Alaafin of Oyo(I know some people would prefer the Ooni, but I think the Alaafin edge it) and the Oba of Benin since the Owelle of Ontisha was an off-shoot of the Oba of Benin and the Igbo’s never really had Kings. The King of Calabar might be considered but I think the Oba of Benin is the 3rd highest King in Nigeria going by historical antecedents of the areas they controlled. Whoever is selected as President or Monarch of Nigeria would rule till death after which the post would shift to the next person.

The reason I proffer this is because of the wanton display of selfishness, lack of selflessness and greed amongst our Law makers. How can any reasonable and sensible country allow the blatant squandering of her common-wealth to continue un-abated without making effort at correcting what is clearly a national embarrassment, an  un-wanton display of theft and banditry perpetuated in one of the highest and respected institution in the Land.

I think if the royal Fathers are given the power on certain issues they can pass down an Executive Directive or Royal fiat to the Prime Minister that no Law Maker should get more than a certain amount, obviously the agreed amount would be far from these mind-blowing figures they currently get at the moment. At present the President of the Nation cannot do anything as he is seen as an independent organ of Government that cannot really dabble into Legislative matters or business, as a result of adhering to the principle of checks and balances,  the legislative arm knowing they are on a home run are basking in their illegality to no avail, without any recourse to any higher authority. They are a Frankenstein monster eating the life out of our nation they need to be curbed.

I am expecting the Igbo’s to come out all guns blazing on this one, but we cannot ignore hard historical facts and figures as per who the top 3 royal fathers are in Nigeria.
  lipsrsealed
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by olaolabiy: 1:30pm On Jun 20, 2011
Isale Gan Gan will be proud of you tongue
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by vladimiros: 1:38pm On Jun 20, 2011
not sure if trolling or just very stupid
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by Kilode1: 1:46pm On Jun 20, 2011
Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest -Denis Diderot angry
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by Kilode1: 1:58pm On Jun 20, 2011
Council of state: Members for Life! shocked
[img]http://thewillnigeria.com/thumbnail.php?file=cover_COUNCIL_OF_STATE_MEETING__313201428.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-679970.0.html
^^^
We already have Kings/Monarchs. Getting rid of them is the issue.
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by KnowAll(m): 2:13pm On Jun 20, 2011
the King would be in charge of the Military and Religious matter all other matters would be left to the Prime-Minister of the state.

I would not like the power over military issues enshrined in the Monarchy thus. Even though I quoted it in my piece up there I am only quoting the powers given to the Moroccan Monarch verbatimly, I would only like the Monarch to wade into contentious issues like wages of Legislature and any other problematic areas that the Judiciary cannot arbiter on.
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by gidson12(m): 3:18pm On Jun 20, 2011
rubbish, nonsense, senseless, and bullshiit
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by KnowAll(m): 3:25pm On Jun 20, 2011
Most of the states cannot pay common N18,000.00 minimum rate yet another group of 450 men and women in the House of Assembly would be paid N42.00 Million a quarter, desperate times calls for desperate measures.
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by EzeUche1(m): 3:48pm On Jun 20, 2011
Rubbish!

We Igbos will fight any attempt at monarchy! For thousands of years, the Ndigbo have had no need for a monarchy. Take you silly ideas and speak for your own people.

There is a reason why we say. . . Igbo Enwe Eze!
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by AjanleKoko: 4:01pm On Jun 20, 2011
This is just laughable.
The traditional rulers sold us to the British in the first place. Monarchy indeed! Nice try, KnowAll undecided
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by dave42: 4:07pm On Jun 20, 2011
This is actually interesting. We are better organized when the royal fathers lead. I think that is our culture and who we really are, we need to get it back.
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by Ngodigha: 5:59pm On Jun 20, 2011
This idiotic post belongs to the waste bin. How do you expect the Midwest groups to allow the Alafin of Oyo to Lord it over them. Or are you saying that Itsekiris, Edos, Urhobos, Isokos and Etsakos are now Yorubas. What a brainless thread.
How about the north?. The borno and Yobe states were never under the sultanate and will never be. How about Kingless societies in the middle belt such as Idomas, Tvis etc.
That of the east should not be discussed at all. It seems the O.P left his brain at home today before starting this imbecilic thread.
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by Jbenue: 6:05pm On Jun 20, 2011
OP
what is this crap??
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by aljharem3: 6:07pm On Jun 20, 2011
Ngodigha:

This idiotic post belongs to the waste bin. How do you expect the Midwest groups to allow the Alafin of Oyo to Lord it over them. Or are you saying that Itsekiris, Edos, Urhobos, Isokos and Etsakos are now Yorubas. What a brainless thread.
How about the north?. The borno and Yobe states were never under the sultanate and will never be. How about Kingless societies in the middle belt such as Idomas, Tvis etc.
That of the east should not be discussed at all. It seems the O.P left his brain at home today before starting this imbecilic thread.

mumu, did u talk about the east
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by Ngodigha: 6:14pm On Jun 20, 2011
alj_harem:

mumu, did u talk about the east

The east as well as Anioma is where monarchy do not thrive. Even Lugard's attempt to create some was a failure.
Join me in spitting on this thread.
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by MaiSuya(m): 7:33pm On Jun 20, 2011
OP and his unending penchant for controversial topics.
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by jason123: 7:38pm On Jun 20, 2011
Ngodigha:

This idiotic post belongs to the waste bin. [b]How do you expect the Midwest groups to allow the Alafin of Oyo to Lord it over them. Or are you saying that Itsekiris, Edos, Urhobos, Isokos and Etsakos a[/b]re now Yorubas. What a brainless thread.

Oba of Benin not Alafin of Oyo.

@ Topic
This your idea is silly (NO OFFENSE)
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by violent(m): 7:45pm On Jun 20, 2011
haha, this is just laughable!
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by ektbear: 7:56pm On Jun 20, 2011
Cosign, a wonderful idea.

I nominate myself to be Emperor of Nigeria

(in case it isn't clear, I'm being sarcastic. Monarchy is a terrible idea. Unless I am chosen as the monarch.)
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by ezeagu(m): 8:28pm On Jun 20, 2011
KnowAll:

I am expecting the Igbo’s to come out all guns blazing on this one, but we cannot ignore hard historical facts and figures as per who the top 3 royal fathers are in Nigeria.  lipsrsealed

I guess you flopped at that, they didn't have a powerful lord that decided life and death because they were intelligent enough to decide that they didn't need one. Anyway, you're idea has been rejected it seems.
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jun 20, 2011
Won't work,

Unless they give sovereignty to each kingdoms
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by KnowAll(m): 8:59pm On Jun 20, 2011
It is good to stir the honey's nest at times or how do we deal with a legislative branch awarding themselves roughish allowances when most of the states cannot even pay the minimum wage. The President is powerless, the Judiciary has to succumb to the principle of separation of power and the Revenue and Income mobilisation committee seems to be a rubber stamp organisation that do not put the prevailing income of the masses into consideration b4 allowing extortionist and unreasonable increase, we cannot continue to allow this double headed monster to continue impoverishing our people something has to give way.  undecided
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jun 20, 2011
We need to go back to the political success of the pre-colonial era,study it,modernise it and apply it to the problems facing us. DemocraZy or military rule are alien to us.50 years of both systems and we are still retrogressing !
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by Nobody: 2:07am On Jun 21, 2011
Any thing makes it to the front page of Nairaland these days. This is becoming too juvenile.
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by HighChief4(m): 2:22am On Jun 21, 2011
Yes, Ndigbo do not have Monarchs cos we do not bow to any man, but God
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by YoruIgbo(m): 3:46am On Jun 21, 2011
It doesn't matter who ruleth Naija, we are already in deep shit!! Whether traditional ruler, release criminals from prison, Rev fathers or Pastor, Ashewo or born Again Sister, Alhaji or visitors the fact remains that naija is in a serious decline and we will soon rock the bottom if we continue like this.
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by Nobody: 4:59am On Jun 21, 2011
traditional ruler or monarchy in Nigeria will be worse than the worst democracy. so, abeg, don't let us go there.
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by EzeUche1(m): 5:58am On Jun 21, 2011
We Igbos disdain any reference to a king. My ancestors decided long ago, we have no use for kings. We bow to no one but God.

“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest”

-Denis Diderot
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by denitro(m): 8:11am On Jun 21, 2011
A Black man Monarch is a recipe for disaster.
Sadly It is the nature and disposition of almost all black men, as soon as they get a little power, as they suppose, to apply and practice coercive altruism. Coercive Altruism—the act of forcing others to do what one person or group thinks they should do, supposedly for their best good, but without their approval and/or consent. Accordingly, it is evident that more evil and harm has been inflicted throughout the history of africa in a spirit of Coercive Altruism, than by almost any other means.
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by femmy2010(m): 8:21am On Jun 21, 2011
That cant work in Nigeria.
The emir of Gwandu wud cry foul,the Awujale of Ijebuland wud feel marginalized and the obi of Umahia would shout for his turn.
True democracy is d best for Nigeria anyday anytime.
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by okooyinbo(m): 9:03am On Jun 21, 2011
Actually a good idea but not well thought through. There should and would never be a one ruler in Nigeria. I think the paramount ones should be organized into a think thank but without absolute power.

I have a question for those saying Igbo have no king. Is Onicha part of Igboland? Just say your own part of Igboland has no king, because some Igbo do have obi.
Re: I Think Nigeria Should Have A Monarchy by Nobody: 9:06am On Jun 21, 2011
The best form of government is Military for Nigerians. Full Stop.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hon Patrick Obahiagbon On Ojukwu's Demise / Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. / 419.bittenus.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.