Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting (4759 Views)

Wike And Aregbesola's Funny Encounter At Governor's Forum Meeting / Governors Shun Private Jets As Buhari's Body Language Hits Aviation Sector / Open Advice To South West Governors On Housing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by EkoIle1: 1:18am On Jun 24, 2011
S’West govs shun Yoruba Unity Forum meeting

By MOSHOOD ADEBAYO and SEGUN ADEGBITE Abeokuta
Friday, June 24, 2011

More Stories on This Section

The six South-West governors were conspicuously absent yesterday at the reconvened Yoruba Unity Forum which held at the Ikenne, Ogun State home of the late sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo and presided over by the matriarch of the Awolowo, Chief (Mrs.) Hannah Idowu Dideolu Awolowo.

Among those officially invited were Senator Ibikunle Amosun of Ogun State, his counterparts, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, Lagos, Abiola Ajimobi, Oyo, Raufu Aregbesola, Osun, Mr. Kayode Fayemi, Ekiti, and Dr. Olusegun Mimiko, Ondo.

While none of the invited governors serving and former, attended other attendees are former Chief of General Staff, Lt. Gen Oladipo Diya (rtd.), Kofoworola, Bucknor-Akerele, Alhaji Lateef Jakande, former deputy to the former Oyo State governor, Alhaji Taofeeq Arapaja, among others. Although a formal invitation was extended to the governors, it was a surprise that none of them was around.
During the meeting, the forum urged President Goodluck Jonathan to urgently ensure that the Yoruba nation occupies its rightful position in the political hierarchy. This was necessary so as to give the race a sense of belonging in the country.

Apparently reacting to the loss of the speakership of the House of Representatives which gave the position to Hon. Aminu Tambuwal, the forum decried the role played by some politicians from the South-West.
The group lamented lack of cohesion among Yoruba and stated that it was what assisted Tambuwal to assume that position among Yoruba honourables.

In a communiqué, the forum decried a situation where the race was completely schemed out of top political positions in the Jonathan administration urging the President to “remember that the race voted for him and not his party”. While reviewing the post election killings in some parts of the North, the forum warned that the killing of Yoruba anywhere in the country must stop.

On the speculations that the Yoruba leadership is up for grabs, Senator Tony Adefuye said it is not vacant.
He added that no matter what anybody says, “Mama H.I.D Awolowo is our leader and she is performing the role effectively.

lol @ corrupt relics and gathering of losers.

Many thanks to Asiwaju, the SW governors from Fashola to the rest of real leaders in the SW for ignoring that rubbish. They ain't seen nothing yet.

SW o ni baje lai lai
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by EkoIle1: 1:34am On Jun 24, 2011
I wonder why the Tribune no even say anything about the outcome of their dum.b get together,
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by EzeUche1(m): 1:35am On Jun 24, 2011
Trouble in paradise? shocked
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by aljharem3: 1:45am On Jun 24, 2011
EzeUche!:

Trouble in paradise? shocked

u can say that again namesake

@topic

good move, enough with tribal party meetings

as i said, anyone that play tribalism will surly lose
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by EkoIle1: 1:56am On Jun 24, 2011
Yesterday's Tribune's attack and hatchet job

Tinubu and Yoruba leadership:Matters arising

| Print | E-mail

Written by Olufemi Aduwo Wednesday, 22 June 2011

The buffalos move as a herd with unalloyed loyalty to the leader, like the soldier ants, they move in a convoy. But unlike soldier ants, they only take instructions from their leader, and if by chance the leader dies, they just stand around waiting for the instruction that will never come. Such irrational behaviour allows the hunter to kill them in hundreds. That is why buffaloes are getting extinct. The Yoruba are not buffaloes, neither could any mortal nor any group of persons direct them sheepishly. Yoruba acknowledge the structure of leadership and pay due allegiance to constituted authorities.

The Yorubas are intrinsically proud people who cherish their freedom. Long before the British King Charles literally lost his head in a revolt against intolerable oppression; the Yoruba had established a tradition for taming intolerable despotic kings. They were either forced to commit suicide or banished, still if you look around you will easily remember two or three names that had met a not so pleasant end in Yorubaland.

My involvement in the struggle for the actualisation of the June 12, 1993 presidential election won by Basorun MKO Abiola brought me very close to some notable members of Afenifere between 1993 – 1995 before I left the country. Afenifere spoke at a time when freedom of speech was chained. I was at late Papa Adekunle Ajasin’s premises when the old man and other members of Afenifere were tongue lashed and humiliated in his own sitting room by Navy Captain Tony Onyerugbulem, the military administrator of Ondo State, for holding a meeting in his sitting room! The irony of the matter was that the maximum ruler, General Sani Abacha and Onyerugbulem died before his governorship ambition materialised (Omode bu Iroko, )

Afenifere provided vibrant opposition to the Abacha-led government during the tenure of Papa Ajasin. Afenifere’s views on national matters were respected not only by the Yorubas but other progressive minded Nigerians across the country and beyond. Afenifere gave birth to the Alliance for Democracy (AD). Unlike the Committee of Friends of Papa Awolowo that metamorphosed into UPN in 1978.

The problem with Afenifere started in 1999. Before the AD governorship primaries – election, Chief Bisi Akande was not interested, in fact he advised Chief Akinfenwa to contest. The old man met his brothers in Lagos and he was able to raise the sum of N20 million, he was putting all the necessary structures in place when Akande, with the full support of Afenifere leader in Osun State showed interest. In Ondo State, Chief (Mrs.) Mobolaji Osomo won the 1999 AD governorship primary election. It was at Ijebu – Igbo Afenifere meeting the result was turned upturned, she was accused of serving as a minister under the Abacha-led government. But the same judgement was not applicable to Niyi Adebayo of Ekiti State, who was a governoship candidate of the UNPP, one of the five leprous fingers called Abacha political parties. It was on record that the five parties endorsed the presidential candidate of Abacha. Papa Abraham Adesanya called them the ‘Quisling’.

The late Funso Williams was the anointed governorship candidate of AD in Lagos State in 1999. Afenifere forgot that the pillar which a party’s democracy is built upon is freedom of choice not regulated and authoritarian style as it was demonstrated by the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) under the leadership of Bola Ahmed Adekunle Tinubu in the last party primaries across the country. The Yoruba have a saying that: “ile to ba si ntoro, omo ale be koti dagba” (the compound that is still prosperous is so because the bastard there is yet unmature). In an open letter to Papa Adesanya in 2001, I mentioned that the struggle for the actualisation of June 12, 1993 presidential election brought together political foxes, vultures, double dealers, fraudulent characters, as well as very few genuine politicians. Those elements like Bola Tinubu and Bisi Akande who used Awo’s name to campaign in 1999, are the same people who teamed up with some funny elders and destroyed Afenifere.

Afenifere allowed their ranks to be invaded by thugs and the millionaires without enterprise with questionable wealth to destroy all the noble ideals, Afenifere was noted for.

In the Guardian Sunday, December 23, 2007,Otunba Yomi Ogunusi placed an advertorial captioned “Time for leadership chance in Yorubaland part II.” Ogunusi said… “The elevation of late Chief Adekunle Ajasin the frugal and transparent first governor of Ondo State as the leader of Afenifere did not make him an Awo successor since the position was political – cum cultural.” Ogunusi put up a defence for Tinubu’s candidature and since then, the Tinubu guerrilla journalists and paid writers have discovered the quick avenue to get money from their paymaster by deceiving him on the possibility of his becoming the Asiwaju of Yoruba. On that note, you will understand why the likes of Sam Omatseye allowed his stomach to take a decision for him. We need to set the records straight on how the Yoruba leader, or Asiwaju emanated. Both Papa Awo and Ajasin were elected, or selected as leaders by the Yoruba people. In his book Adventure in Power (page 314) Awo stated, “After my release, Colonel Adebayo who was Military Governor of the region convened a meeting… leading Obas (Royal Majesties) in the region were also there. Leaders of all shades of political opinions in the region were also there… I was elected by the governor to preside over the deliberations at the meeting.

At the very onset, the question of electing a leader for the Yoruba people was raised. I ruled it out of order. The vocal among them were former members of NCNC and NNDP and as the debate proceeded, certain thought ran through my mind. When one of the speakers pleaded that I should reconsider the ruling, I gave in. there was a big applause for my compliance and so without any further debate, a motion was proposed, it was seconded by – acclamation and unanimously passed, electing me the leader (Asiwaju) of the Yoruba people.” Awo’s election took place nine days after he was released from prison; Action Group AG was banned along with other political parties by the military government in 1966. The election was not conducted by the Afenifere and for Afenifere members or under the platform of AG as political party, but the generality of Yoruba sons and daughters from the political class, traditional institutions, business and academics were involved. The Arole Oodua, Ooni of Ife confirmed the people’s wishes and gave royal and spiritual blessings to the election of Papa Awolowo as Yoruba Asiwaju (Leader). On Sept. 12, 1966, Awo attended the ad hoc conference for constitutional proposal as leader of the Western Region delegation.

After the death of Papa Awolowo, His Royal Majesty, Oba Okunade Sijuade, the Arole Oodua led other Obas and leaders of thought to Papa Ajasin’s home in Owo, where he was informed of the decision of Yoruba people of his election as their leader (Asiwaju). Unlike the present campaign we are witnessing today, both Papa Awolowo and Papa Ajasin did not lobby for the position. Their outstanding qualities were the major yardstick. In the case of Papa Awolowo, the most vigorous and eloquent in canvassing for his election were his former political opponents in the NCNC and NNDP.

TheTinubu boys must understand that the first level of leadership is position, this is when authority is conferred on a person, at that level the person becomes a leader of the people because he has been elected or selected by the people to lead them.

The principle of Yoruba education is to make an individual an Omoluabi. Good character in the Yoruba sense includes honesty and transparency in all public and private dealings. Without taking anything away from Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the truth is that if you give him gold, he will turn it to ashes, he destroyed Afenifere, AD and now, the seed of destruction has been planted in ACN.

The Tribune is full of ignorant writers. Who voted, elected, appoint or made Awo Yoruba leader?

The ashes part clearly highlights the writers cluelessness and warped interpretation of current events and history.

The fact remains that Tinubu was given one single state and in less than 4 years, he not only he turned it into 6 states, he took all nearly all the legislative seats in the SW.

HID is wasting her money on these dum.b and clueless writers.
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by EzeUche1(m): 2:10am On Jun 24, 2011
Internal crisis I see. Will Tinubu destroy ACN and Awolowo's dream? Many Yorubas think so. . . shocked
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by Nobody: 2:15am On Jun 24, 2011
EzeUche!:

Internal crisis I see. Will Tinubu destroy ACN and Awolowo's dream? Many Yorubas think so. . . shocked

Who are the "many" Yorubas that you speak of?

Try to hold on to the figment of your imagination, it may eventually run off. Not trying to stop you tho, but ignorance should not be bliss.
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by EkoIle1: 2:17am On Jun 24, 2011
Comments from the silly article.

written by agba james, June 22, 2011
tribune and its beef against Tinubu. If The Nation newspaper picks on the Awo family now you will cry blue murder. Haven t you heard that those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. LEAVE BOLA TINUBU ALONE
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by EkoIle1: 2:17am On Jun 24, 2011
Tinubu and the Yoruba leader

written by Tuesday owoeye, June 22, 2011
I am happy we have democracy in Nigeria. Now everyone enjoys freedom of speech. That is why one Olufemi Aduwo can write against our revered Asiwaju Tinubu. One thing always amuses me when I read the write-ups of those jealous of Asiwaju's achievements. They always say he is not and will never become the Yoruba leader, but have never proposed anyone as the current Yoruba leader. Anyway Tinubu is not only a prominent leader in yorubaland, he is also a prominent political leader in the country today. Imagine this stupid man saying that if you give Tinubu gold, he will turn it to ashes. The same man who, within four years, grew ACN from one state to six. Is that how to turn gold to ashes. We thank God Tinubu destroyed Afenifere. In fact that is one of his greatest achievements. Afenifere played into Obasanjo's hand in 2003 by trusting him. He showed his color by rigging AD out of Southwest. If not for Asiwaju's political sagacity in 2003, Nigeria would have today become a one-party authoritarian state. That we now have progressives as governors in the Southwest today is as a result of the Afenifere that Tinubu destroyed. One word for all of you castigating Tinubu. Whether you like it or not, he has become the most prominent political leader in yorubaland today. You are all jealous of him. Who is Olufemi Aduwo. I am a yorubaman but I am just hearing your name for the first time. You must be one of the PDP wounded rats that have not gotten over the defeat suffered in the hand of ACN as proudly lead by Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the only governor emeritus in Nigeria.
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by EzeUche1(m): 2:18am On Jun 24, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Try to hold on to the figment of your imagination, it may eventually run off. Not trying to stop you tho, but ignorance should not be bliss.

Solve your internal crisis before you talk to me.
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by EkoIle1: 2:20am On Jun 24, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Trust me, trolls ain't worth your time.
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by Nobody: 2:20am On Jun 24, 2011
EzeUche!:

Solve your internal crisis before you talk to me.

You failed to answer a simple question. tsk tsk, very sensitive, arent you? wink
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by OAM4J: 2:21am On Jun 24, 2011

In a communiqué, the forum decried a situation where the race was completely schemed out of top political positions in the Jonathan administration urging the President to “remember that the race voted for him and not his party”. While reviewing the post election killings in some parts of the North, the forum warned that the killing of Yoruba anywhere in the country must stop.

This is annoying, very annoying. angry They voted for Jonathan and not PDP and expect PDP to zone a position to SW. What power does Jonathan has without PDP?
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by EzeUche1(m): 2:22am On Jun 24, 2011
OAM4J:

This is annoying, very annoying. angry They voted for Jonathan and not PDP and expect PDP to zone a position to SW. What power does Jonathan has without PDP?

You make sense nemesis! I don't understand it either.
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by EzeUche1(m): 2:23am On Jun 24, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

You failed to answer a simple question. tsk tsk, very sensitive, arent you? wink

Change the pic and make me happy again in more ways than one. wink
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by Nobody: 2:25am On Jun 24, 2011
Eko Ile:

Trust me, trolls ain't worth your time.

Expecting more of them to camp on this thread. Oh jolly.  wink

OAM4J:

They're very shameless.

These are the enemies of progress. They've forgotten that things have changed, people are becoming more exposed to politics. They're supposed to represent us, but they don't speak in our place. It's only a fool that believes [b]only [/b]what they have to say. They'll be surprise at the lil amount of people that'll show up.
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by Nobody: 2:26am On Jun 24, 2011
EzeUche!:

Change the pic and make me happy again in more ways than one. wink

Your happiness is not of my concern, but my happiness should be your number one priority. Remember that and stop this your tribalism.
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by EzeUche1(m): 2:28am On Jun 24, 2011
According to US Courts, Tinubu is a drug dealer.

We are just worried about your region. . .
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by iragbijile: 2:29am On Jun 24, 2011
Eko Ile:

Yesterday's Tribune's attack and hatchet job

The Tribune is full of ignorant writers.[b] Who voted, elected, appoint or made Awo Yoruba leader?

The ashes part clearly highlights the writers cluelessness and warped interpretation of current events and history.

The fact remains that Tinubu was given one single state and in less than 4 years, he not only he turned it into 6 states, he took all nearly all the legislative seats in the SW.

HID is wasting her money on these dum.b and clueless writers.

My friend from Iragbiji, we Yoruba people, including your father and grand father voted and selected Awo as Yoruba leader, AGAINST HIS WISH. I repeat, AGAINST HIS WISH. I repeat, HE DID NOT LOBBY FOR IT. He was simply the best and still is and would forever be.

By acclamation Obafemi Awolowo was selected to preside over their deliberation. The question of the Leader of the Yoruba immediately came up which Awolowo ruled out of order but members persisted., many of these were his[b] former political adversaries in the National Council of Nigerian Citiizens [/b][the NCNC] and the Nigerian National Democratic Party [the NNDP]. A motion was moved, seconded by cheering acclamation and[b] Obafemi Oyeniyi Awolowo was unanimously elected the Leader of the Yoruba.[/b] Whatever moral imprimatur and authority deriving from this title, no one, least of all Awolowo himself, was ever under any illusion that this position can be sustained once partisan politics is resumed under any guise. This was a title for extra-ordinary times when the Yoruba are rudderless or under siege

http://www.nigerdeltacongress.com/harticles/how_obafemi_awolowo_became_the_l.htm

Obafemi Awolowo and HID Awolowo, simply the best!
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by EzeUche1(m): 2:30am On Jun 24, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Your happiness is not of my concern, but my happiness should be your number one priority. Remember that and stop this your tribalism.

Why is it not? Is it not a woman's duty to worry about my happiness? And I am not being tribalistic. I am simply asking questions.
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by iragbijile: 2:31am On Jun 24, 2011
Musiwa,,,:

Stop talking about tinubu.  You igbo people do not give up on tinubu.

even if pastor Adeboye and pstor kumuyi goes on his kneel, if they dont listen to us. we have no other option than the military.

Is it the Yoruba military that  will listen to tinubu after, they see what he did in lagos.

See where our boys is.  Dada have brother , who can fight.

Egbon Musiwa, e ri mi pa

Dada o'le ja, sugbon o ni aburo to gboju.

Right? Adesegun Musiwa?
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by Nobody: 2:31am On Jun 24, 2011
Musiwa,,,:

Stop talking about tinubu.  You igbo people do not give up on tinubu.

even if pastor Adeboye and pstor kumuyi goes on his kneel, if they dont listen to us. we have no other option than the military.

Is it the Yoruba military that  will listen to tinubu after, they see what he did in lagos.

See where our boys is.  Dada have brother , who can fight.

Look at this fool. This raggamuffin is not musiwa/becommrich.

Because since I've ever known, Musiwa was always anti-Tinubu and this is not his bantu English.
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by Nobody: 2:32am On Jun 24, 2011
EzeUche!:

Why is it not? Is it not a woman's duty to worry about my happiness? And I am not being tribalistic. I am simply asking questions.

Stop derailing this thread, Edem.
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by EzeUche1(m): 2:32am On Jun 24, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Stop derailing this thread, Edem.

Since you ask so nicely and used my Ibibio name, I will leave this thread. cool
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by Nobody: 2:38am On Jun 24, 2011
iragbijile:

My friend from Iragbiji, we Yoruba people, including your father and grand father voted and selected Awo as Yoruba leader, AGAINST HIS WISH. I repeat, AGAINST HIS WISH. I repeat, HE DID NOT LOBBY FOR IT. He was simply the best and still is and would forever be.

My friend, keep quiet there.

IMO, Awolowo left behind some empty-headed families.

If HID or whatever he deems to come himself wants the Yoruba people to take them seriously, they'll need to shed the kind of companions they carry around. How can you expect us to take the likes of Oni and Oyinlola in serious consideration?
Before the 2011 elections, where was the Awolowo family? What have they done for the Yorubas in entirety? When OBJ/Dora were forcing Oni (who single-handed messed up our economy) on Ekiti, where were they? Why are they trying to use the name Awolowo to sway people? That's not fair, and almost cruel.

Thanks to the commendable progress of Fashola and warrior attitude of Tinubu, the Yoruba peeps killed PDP in the SW region.
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by Nobody: 2:39am On Jun 24, 2011
EzeUche!:

Since you ask so nicely and used my Ibibio name, I will leave this thread. cool

You should prolly change your ID to Edem. It's more preferable.
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by EzeUche1(m): 2:43am On Jun 24, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

You should prolly change your ID to Edem. It's more preferable.

Are you telling me that I have more of chance if I act more Ibibio instead of Igbo? shocked
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by Nobody: 2:46am On Jun 24, 2011
EzeUche!:

Are you telling me that I have more of chance if I act more Ibibio instead of Igbo? shocked

More chance for what, Edem?

@OAM4J

Ok, can you do something like delete the posts by Musiwa's copycat? angry
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by EzeUche1(m): 2:46am On Jun 24, 2011
Tinubu is worth a billion dollars? Where did he get this money from?

Questionable means. . .  undecided
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by Musiwa52: 2:54am On Jun 24, 2011
Do you think Yoruba people are monkey, who do you think, we are.
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by EkoIle1: 2:56am On Jun 24, 2011
iragbijile:

1. Do you have any proof to who how and when Tinubu lobbied to be Yoruba leader?

2. Beyond your mindless crap about some old men sitting around and calling Awolowo their leader, show us where and when Yoruba people voted to make Awolowo their leader. (Only trolls like you turns some online write up into Yoruba History)

What about some Yoruba folks getting together in some room voting to make Tinubu Yoruba leader just like you just attributed to Awolowo?

See how dum.b you sound as usual?

Stick to trolling, common sense and intelligent reasoning is not your thing.
Re: South West Governors Shun Yoruba Unity Forum Meeting by Musiwa52: 3:02am On Jun 24, 2011
our people are suffering.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

SEE What Aregbesola Is Doing To His People In Osun State : PHOTOS / Niger Delta Is A Region Not A Tribe.. Who are the Main Niger Deltans? / States That Has The Highest Members On Nairaland.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.