Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,187 members, 7,822,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? - TV/Movies (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? (65014 Views)

Poll: Choose your favorite three 'action!' screamers

Steven Spielberg: 32% (75 votes)
Martin Scorsese: 26% (61 votes)
Francis Ford Coppola: 9% (21 votes)
Quentin Tarantino: 18% (42 votes)
Peter Jackson: 11% (26 votes)
Michael Bay: 1% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

Whos The Most Beautiful Lady In Hollywood / Do You Love Or Hate Nigerian Movies? / Charmed - Luv It Or Hate It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (60) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by vescucci(m): 5:32pm On Jun 20, 2008
Unfortunately I cannot be absolutely objective about the two films you mentioned and for different reasons at that. Indy 4 even if it was a load of botches will suit me fine since I'd be blinded by the fact that Spielberg made it. But then I like Spielberg because he doesn't make movies that are loads of botches. Incredible Hulk is a comic that I never really picked interest in mainly because I like heroes that are sinewy and that have finesse and are cut to scale. Hulk ain't any of these, ok maybe he's sinewy, if you call veins that are bigger than pvc pipes sinewy. What I'm interested in is more about his personal struggles. I don't even feel right calling him a superhero. Plus I hate how there many versions to the Hulk's persona. Sometimes he's made out to be evil, sometimes not. Sometimes in between.
Now on to the film proper (as objectively as possible)

I've not seen indy 4 yet but have I read reviews? And seen them too. I'm sure it'll be ok but can never equal the former ones. It'll be just like Rocky Balboa to me. Ok but not as great as the former ones. The only part I'm skeptical about is Cate playing a russian bad guy. I've never thought that'll work. Cate's the text book woman on the good side. Can't imagine she'll do as a bad guy. Not that I doubt her credentials, l love her so. She and Liv Tyler. Funny Liv's in Incredible Hulk.

She's in Incredible Hulk which I've not seen either. But I like the fact that a doctor doesn't have to be buff before he can transform into the Hulk. Lou Ferrigno was already buff before turning which was bad form to me. Edward Norton is great for the part. After all Dr. Jekyll was a weakling but you don't want to owe Mr. Hyde money.

I'll see both movies before long.

Rashomon I've not seen but I've heard of. In fact I'm writing a book with something akin to the same sense of twisted vantage points. You know it's hard to get hold of stuff like that. You just watch what you can and free the rest. In Naija that is.

The Great Dictator was the most hilarious film I've seen in years. I like the chemistry between the two dictators and their kiddish (kiddish-yiddish? Get it? hitler's supposed to hate jews and he's behaving kiddish?) tendencies. Also the changes made to Romania and Bohemia I think. Plain funny.

Whew, this is work!
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by spikyn: 7:12pm On Jun 23, 2008
The Hulk has always represented what happens when power is not under control so I can get your being unable to identify a fixed persona. Various writers have put their own spin on him and most modern ones are less heroic and more "tragic reluctant villain like". He's very ambiguous in that vein but he is definitely a hero. If you read comics and recently followed the Planet Hulk/World War Hulk arc you'd probably appreciate him more.

I tend to avoid reading reviews because of spoilers and also because most reviewers don't 'get' what they're reviewing most of the time. smiley

Cate was Cate but I don't think she struggled with the role, in fact since I saw 'I'm Not There' I believe she's the greatest female actor of this generation.

Rashomon is worth digging out from wherever you can find it, it's better seen/experienced than read about. You write/ that's cool and interesting too. Did you see Liv Tyler in 'One Night at McCool's'?

The Great Dictator just shows up how unimaginative and trite most 'socially-aware' and 'politically-charged' today's comedies and movies are. Chaplin is/was genius.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by vescucci(m): 6:31pm On Jun 24, 2008
Cate who's arguably my favorite actress now too is really something. It just happens that I've never seen her take on laid back roles. She's always in films where she has to be veeeeeeeeery deep and noble. At least the ones I've seen her in so far. Okay the latest I've seen is Veronica Guerin where she's a reporter that gets too nosey I guess. She gets whacked like most nosey reporters. bla bla bla. It sha is a noble role nonetheless. I'll just wait till I see Indy 4. You know she's only 39 which seems to me like a very young age compared to the experience and wisdom her eyes (and indeed the rest of her) carry. True talent lies there.

Chaplin definitely WAS a genius. If he IS is very scary. Have you read Apocalyspe Watch, where Hitler's supposed to still be alive?

Was that the one where Matt Dillon was in? I can't tag the name of the film but the Rashomon link is not lost on me. Remember Matt in Wild Things? There's also a little mild Rashomonism going on there.

oh man, gotta run!
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 3:53pm On Jun 25, 2008
Great read you guys cheesy
Haven't seen anything. . .was supposed to go check Hulk today but erhhhhh something came up.
Have to watch it before it gets pushed out to make way for wanted, batman kiss and hancock.

P.S I like Katharine Hepburn but i seriously adore Cate Blanchett. The woman is just something else.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by spikyn: 7:08pm On Jun 25, 2008
I guess she must fill her resume with serious/deep movies to keep the awards flowing sha. The Indy role is laid back enough though I still think she was having a blast in 'I'm Not There'.

I haven't read the book but I am very familiar with the concept of Hitler being not dead. Who wrote it?

Yep, Matt Dillon was in the movie so I'm sure it's the same one you're referring to. I do remember Wild Things, it was amusing in parts. You've seen Vantage Point right?
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by vescucci(m): 5:57pm On Jun 27, 2008
Cate is simply too much jare. There's hardly any competition for her and she's still got a long way to go yet. Maybe she'll beat Meryl Streep's and Katherine Hepburn's records as most nominated and most awarded respectively, I think.
I guess I'll have to hunt down 'I'm not there' now.

Apocalypse Watch was written by Robert Ludlum, RIP, who happens to be my favorite writer; of the 20th century at least.

Vantage point, I'm not sure if it holds any surprises for me anymore cuz of the legal and illegal trailers and especially the reviews I've read. Spoilers no doubt. Maybe they teach them Rashomonology at the Academy. I was only happy to see that dude from Lost in it. I thought he was too good for just television. Though I don't know of his repertoire.

iice speaks! wow it must be Friday 13th.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 6:23pm On Jun 27, 2008
Mathew Fox. He was also in Speed Racer as Racer X. I used to really like him on Party of five.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 6:58pm On Jun 29, 2008
Can't wait for TDK ooooooo. Oh i think Hellboy II is coming out next week. Will definitely watch that.

Oh about the Hulk, it was better than the first! Ok too sleepy now to give my complete thoughts lol.
And Timur Bekmambetov is shaping up to take over the wachowskis grin grin when is my execution?
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 3:53pm On Jun 30, 2008
Speaking of Mathew Fox, he's in talks to play billy smoke (based on a comic).  It's about a hit man seeking redemption.  Oh i thought i already watched that in wanted undecided While i'd love for him to do more movies, something else perhaps other than comics? Is it like there was a comic explosion or something? While it's definitely in my genre, i don't want every 'supposed' big movie to be based on a comic, a fantasy or a superhero.  It would just get into overload and kill off the hype and enjoyment. Just my opinion.

Ok seriously does T4 sound like it's going to be good?  The cast is getting weirder and i mean in a good way. Christian Bale plays the lead as John Connor - ok i was thinking back there, hmmm this could be good because he doesnt make really bad movies. (the script has got to be good for him to want to play that part right?)
Bryce Dallas Howard is also in this movie (she's been consistent acting wise but movie wise undecided)
Now am reading Helen Bonham Carter is in talks to play a role (weird huh? and with out Tim too! lol)
Am reserving judgement though till i see it since the 3rd one wasn't soo good.

I also read that there may be a prequel or sequel to 300 (don't know yet). Miller is writing a script and maybe Synder will direct but he is not committed yet.  Errhhh, now i loved 300 but am not big on sequels and prequels (trilogies or fourquels tongue), we know how they tend to go.  But am keeping an open mind and if Gerard Butler is coming back, am def going to see it.

Oh spikyn, i forgot to mention that i read Shyamalan will be doing Avatar:The Last Airbender, but am sure you know that

And on to other news;
Tarsem Singh (The Cell - one of my favorites) will be directing War of Gods.  Mythological tale set in Greece

And Laterrier (The Incredible Hulk) will be directing the remake of Clash of the Titans.

*sighs* i can't wait for these movies.  And they'd be using the technique and style used in 300.  Vesc, am sure you know how ecstatic i am about this.  They had better deliver!
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by justkunmi(m): 5:18pm On Jun 30, 2008
wow. .!!
did u write all that?
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 5:46pm On Jun 30, 2008
Rofl J-K
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 4:16pm On Jul 02, 2008
Ok am watching Batman:Gotham Knight which is the third installment of the six animated short films going straight to dvd. I havent finished it, am only half way and i wont be finishing it right now since am sleepy.
But i gotta say the first part of it was ewww. And i am referring to the animation. Batman looks hideous. Like a bloody sand bag. The second part of it kiss kiss kiss He's sooo beautiful. The third part of it is more anime.

All these parts am mentioning are like short stories in this one movie, different situations, different animations. So far am loving it but then again, i am prolly biased undecided
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 12:27pm On Jul 03, 2008
Finished it! Awesome awesome!! So far it's my favorite grin (no surprise)
Next will be Wonder woman. .am not a fan of hers but i'll watch it same as i watched the Superman:doomsday one.

Guys. . .where are you?
Akin. . .don't forget us tongue
Jiddahhhhhh undecided
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by vescucci(m): 6:12pm On Jul 03, 2008
Talk about a comeback! iice, you sound like you've just been to heaven re-invigorated and you want us to 'feel' you. And, uh, did you write all that? You were going with such gusto and pace (plus you were sorta the only one available to yuorself) I'd say you really must have been to heaven. Okay o, I hope your break did you good.

How was Speed racer? I totally forgot about Racer X. It used to make it worth watching in my stupider (i.e. younger) days.

I'm looking forward to three of the films you mentioned; Clash of the titans, the Shyalaman thingie and War of gods. I'm also unsure about the 300 thing but since you said Miller is in on it I guess there's little to fear then. The guy hasn't put a foot wrong since. As for your roll call, present ma! I'd really like to know where everybody is too.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 6:45pm On Jul 03, 2008
Vesc cheesy you forgotten my speedracer review - the one that got someone hyperventilating? grin
That movie was crappy. Don't know what they were thinking. Racer X was one of the good things about that movie.

Mail? angry *sigh*

So nwayz, i saw hancock, it was nice. Could do with more fleshing though. Am still not getting my high angry This more than anything is annoying me. I so hope TDK delivers.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 6:46pm On Jul 04, 2008
Totally forgot to ask your opinion on the casting of Jake Gyllenhaal's as Prince Dastan in Prince of Persia:Sands of Time

Are there no Persian actors? undecided It was previously rumored to be Orlando Bloom's role.
Hmmmm i was reading some funny responses, some one was like what about Naveen Andrews? Or Oded Fehr who i loff! I dunno about this coz i really love the game so i don't have high hopes. On the other hand Bruckheimer has been known to produce blockbusters.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by vescucci(m): 7:57pm On Jul 05, 2008
Oded Fehr came last? Oded is by far the more fitting of the two. In another life maybe Naveen but he's much too fat now. Plus he lacks Oded's charisma and poise and suave and everything. i don't really have much to say since I'm just breezing by.

Vote for Oded. I do hope it's not into production yet o. I can only see Donnie Darko when i look at Jake

iice, I seriously doubt if there are real iraqi actors who can do the film. We just have to settle for arab or indian

What gives, y'all?

Spikyn, somebody scared you away, I thought we had a thing going?
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 8:38pm On Jul 05, 2008
Oh there were some funny comments like Orlando with more muscles and a tan. Jake needs a tan blah blah.
Hmmm Indian could work. But i was hoping for an undiscovered persian talent undecided
Oh production has started ooo. So we are stuck with Jake.

You so nailed Oded. I remember seeing him in the mummy and he was mostly all i saw the first time i watched that movie.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by spikyn: 12:22pm On Jul 07, 2008
vesc, we do have a thing going; I've been catching up on some classics I hadn't seen yet. Cool Hand Luke, Dr Strangelove and a little bit of Patton, I still have others lined up sha.

Jake Gyllenhaal's a good actor and everything o, but I'm totally with you guys on him not being ideal, Somehow Oded is just too slinky/weasel-like for me but "Mohindar" of Heroes has too-wide features. Well I'm sure they could "Asianify" Jake some more. My main fear is if he can carry a movie. Orlando Bloom obviously couldn't but his Jarhead didn't do so good either.

I saw a review of TDK on IGN and it was equated to 'sliced bread' so I don't really fear for it. Wall-E looks like ensuring Pixar's 'perfect record' is still as perfect as Christopher Nolan's and TDK will also extend his streak.

iice, I saw Gotham Knight, didn't like the first episode <the art was too stylized for me> part but it only got better after that.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 2:58pm On Jul 07, 2008
spikyn cheesy cheesy
Exacto! The first episode was angry Noticed how the background was well developed, every detail was amazing. Kindda CGI-ish and then when it got to the drawing of the batman angry undecided I almost stopped when i saw that, but i forged on afterall it's Batman.  And then it got real nice.

Still on Batman - the oscar buzz already for Heath's performance hmmmm! So am having really high expectations! plz don't let me down

I don't know about Jake, yeah hin can act but i never got the 'thing' for him.  Even in Jarhead, it was Sarsgaard i was feeling.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by spikyn: 3:07pm On Jul 07, 2008
Well it'd be the first post-humous Oscar in a long time. at the end of the day sha this was the performance that 'killed' him so they'd really go for it though the hype is already frenzied.

@iice, The first episode was so out of it. the lips of all the characters were just off-putting and Batman ended up looking drab as well. Are you following the RIP Batman going on in the comics right now?

Jake's sister in TDK so I guess that's not too bad abi?
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 3:28pm On Jul 07, 2008
Well we'll see how it goes soon.  I can't wait.  I thought of seeing mama mia but am not a fan of musicals so i don't know.
Yours was the lips, mine was the body.  Batman looked like a square with head, arms and legs.  But i will say they were consistent with the voice throughout the whole movie.  They nailed it.
Sorry to say but i havent been near comics in a while so i don't know what's going on embarassed

Hahhhh Maggie hmmm (kind of like hopes for T4 not messing up since Bonham-Carter will be in that one)
am looking forward to see what Eckhart does with the two face role though.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by spikyn: 1:57pm On Jul 08, 2008
Just saw Hancock yesterday. Will Smith is now confirmed as the single most bankable star in the world. The movie was not all that but he delivered.

@iice, do you know some background on our Will? I mean as per his M.O. of picking movies/roles? One thing that struck me yesterday is he does the popular genre but he tries to put some twist on it. Like when sci-fi blockbusters were in, he did ID4 and two MIB's, romantic comedies? He gave us 'Hitch' when biopics were on, he did Pursuit of Happyness and now that it's superhero/comic books, here's Hancock.

Seen 4 reviews now for TDK and it's been all 5/5, two 100%s and one 4.5/5. I feel all warm inside, grin
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 2:18pm On Jul 08, 2008
rofl, movie studios know he's the most bankable movie star in hollywood so far.  He has proven time again to be able open a movie and hold it.  Even if the movie doesn't make much money, his popularity goes up.  Case in point Ali - the movie itself was not a blockbuster but Will did get an his first Oscar nomination for that and many people still refer to his role in that movie.  I don't know any actor who does not like him.  I have yet to hear fans say they don't like him.  They may not like his movies but they don't hate Will the person.

I don't know how he picks his projects but i know he's very careful with what he chooses to make.  The popular genre is his comfort zone.  He doesn't go wrong there - money wise and popularity wise (its a win-win).  He actually produced Hitch. so lately, i think (though am not sure) he has been having a hand in the movies he makes (producing) and we all know he likes to supply the soundtracks too. 

Ohhh goody, now am feeling warm inside too.  Can't wait!
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by bychance(f): 3:52am On Jul 09, 2008
Is it wrong that I voted for all the options? tongue Well, except Tarantino, only if because his lack of originality bothers me.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by vescucci(m): 5:23pm On Jul 09, 2008
Y'all definitely been busy!

Spikyn, Oded is little sneaky and weasel like? well I'd think the Prince of Persia to be a little cynical, you know, like Hellboy. And Mohindar is a little too much of a do-gooder and his accent is too british. Doesn't know how too accentuate Rs.

iice, into production? For real? Jake? Oh please! What was those peeps thinkin'? Damn! With Jake and all I just hope they plan to stick with the gaming prince we're all familiar with, though I can't see that happening. Or maybe Tobey's and Downing's successes made them think you can cast anybody as a super hero and get away with it but these folks had alter-egos. I'm not aware that the Prince is Ahmed Shariff in the day time, or is he? Even Bloom would have been far better.

Hancock was quite good and surprisingly there was not much of a hype about it previously. Will is turning everything he touches into gold and I gotta say he's been extremely lucky and extremely talented. Plus Hitch was one of the few romantic stuff I've gone for. Single most bankable star. Is that official or Spikyn was just opining? You can only argue fleetingly with that. All that's left for him is to win an Oscar. He just needs a role that's all Will Smith (and somewhat deep too, of course). I mean, if Jamie Fox could get one, he deserves it too, somewhere along the line.

Wall-E is set to contnue the traditon of Pixar's perfect 9.95, but I hope it doesn't give me flash backs to Robots.

Jake's sis is always innocently adorable. Last I heard of her was in the series 'How I met ur mother' or is that nor the same person we're talking about.

And lastly @bychance: U mean to tell me u're dissing Tarantino with the very same thing I like about him and with ur first post too. It's gonna be a long week!
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by KarmaMod(f): 5:26pm On Jul 09, 2008
Will is overrated
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 6:12pm On Jul 09, 2008
Hmmph Tarantino is the ultimate!

Spikyn, just read about TDK. With a week to go, cinemas are kindda fully booked across the nation ooo.
Even added 3:00am and 6:00am showing times shocked shocked shocked This is serious oooo! People are clamoring to catch it immediately it shows. Hahhhh and i was thinking of already getting my tickets oooo
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by vescucci(m): 6:37pm On Jul 09, 2008
The Dark Knight sure seems to be something. Any idea why it took so long to show? Maybe that's why Hancock was released quickly, cuz of TDK stealin the show.

@ Karmamod, of course Will's over-rated. He's bankable. Bankable and over-rated are almost interchangeable. Next year it'll be another person turn to be the most bankable. In my books, Brad was last time.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by KarmaMod(f): 3:38am On Jul 10, 2008
Brad is actually a good actor though

Ive yet to say anything beyond "It was ok" to a will smith movie.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by spikyn: 6:17pm On Jul 10, 2008
@KarmaMod & bychance, welcome.

You guys are right. I was talking about pure 'star power'. Name one Will Smith movie that didn't cross $100m. That's what I mean by 'bankable' as in literally. Which other actor has that track record?

KarmaMod, you don't like Will Smith, I get. Brad is a better actor than Will? Wouldn't argue with you but when you say "Ive yet to say anything beyond "It was ok" to a will smith movie.",  I don't know what to say to that. Will Smith the actor is much like Will Smith the rapper; he ain't the best but he does have a lot of 'more than ok' moments/times.

Maggie, 'adorable'? Ok, I will have get back to you on that,   grin

@bychance: define 'lack of originality', please.

Finally saw 'Caspian'. Good movie, lousy adaptation.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by vescucci(m): 2:28pm On Jul 12, 2008
Spikyn, stand fast! My bad! I meant Alyson Hannigan not Maggie. I do not know what made me mistake one for the other. Maggie ain't adorable. She's been to many 'there's and done many 'that's. I take it you've read all C. S. Lewis' books, huh? I'd love to get my hands on them too. I also believe Brad has stretched his abilities way more than Will has but on the account of bakable--if you like the Mario Puzo description--Brad trails Will. Dudes like Tom Cruise and a better competition.

Brad is a better actor to me too, no doubt, but Will brings in the doe, which my friends is what this is all about.

So what's poppin fellas?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (60) (Reply)

Bisola's Baby Daddy, Olanrewaju Malcolm: Leave My Daughter Out Of Bisola's Life / BBNaija: Omashola Squeezes Mercy's Butt At The Party (Photos) / BBNaija: Vandora Shows Her Boobs Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.