Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,906 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:50 AM

Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? - TV/Movies (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? (64946 Views)

Poll: Choose your favorite three 'action!' screamers

Steven Spielberg: 32% (75 votes)
Martin Scorsese: 26% (61 votes)
Francis Ford Coppola: 9% (21 votes)
Quentin Tarantino: 18% (42 votes)
Peter Jackson: 11% (26 votes)
Michael Bay: 1% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

Whos The Most Beautiful Lady In Hollywood / Do You Love Or Hate Nigerian Movies? / Charmed - Luv It Or Hate It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (60) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by vescucci(m): 11:43am On Mar 31, 2008
D-reloaded, hang on!

Egnite, I must admit u had a lousy first impression and I judged u subsequently as such. U're alright, but I still disagree, though I'm not sure what I'm disagreeing about. All I can boil stuff down to is that The Wachowski bros had a far better film in The Matrix than reloaded and revolutions could ever be. The overall idea I concede is an art form and also I concede that The Matrix, Harry Potter, POTC and LOTR have all made it into the best trilogies of this century. But what I question is not the concept but the portrayal. The way the matrix seemed to work in the first installment isn't the same as the other two. In fact the last is a lil different from the second. Bottom line poor continuity and trying to explain it away as they being different movies doesn't sell. Period!

And to humor you. The Wachowski bros are artists (though I see more of the artistry in Animatrix than the Matrix trilogy). Proceed,
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by spikyn: 7:10pm On Mar 31, 2008
Hi,

Vesc, iice and all my folk, I dey hail.

Vesc, when you say best trilogies I think you may have to trim that list to just LoTR. I saw the Animatrix, I wanted my money back same as for the Matrix sequels. I was a mad fan of the original The Matrix so much so that I used to visit the website everyday and even follow the theological/psychological and philosophical, intellectual discussions that it spawned. I agree with Egnite that the movies are art. Undoubtedly. But to say the Wachowski Brothers planned that from the beginning is about as believable saying James Cameron will top Titanic.

Granted they borrowed heavily from manga/anime, cyberpunk, video games, Bladerunner-esque and alt-reality concepts and meshed them supremely but that was supposed to be the backdrop not the driving force of the movie. The Matrix as a movie worked so well because it was able to be several different things to different people; those who wanted an action movie got it, those looking for theological links found them, engaging storylines? Check! Big explosions and killer martial arts+graphics? Hi-Five!! The only flaw I saw/see in the movie is still that the kiss-off lines and dialogue coulda done with more work.

That the movie's mix succeeded and connected with audiences was due to several factors

- George Lucas blew it with Episode 1 and managed to tip us to ", see The Matrix instead.".
- Escapism in the wake of Columbine et al
- Manga/Anime was (re)blowing up in the West (Akira, Oedo etc)
- Sometimes movies that don't spoon-feed are actually welcomed in theatre.

Okay gotta stop!

Unto other things:
I just saw "I'm Not There" and it was brilliant. I think Cate shoulda walked with that Oscar!!
Finally all the cool movies for this year/summer are closer than ever.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 3:55pm On Apr 01, 2008
Spikyn cheesy cheesy

Hehe, you didn't like the Animatrix? I loved it! Granted am not a big fan of anime/manga. But i like that it went from the simplest animation to the complex. I liked that it broke down for me, more of what the matrix really is.
Hehehe, i don't think any trilogy is yet to beat LoTR.

Oh yea, cate was spectacular in that role. She's just an awesome actress. But i wasn't disappointed in Marion's win. Cate will still win more cheesy cheesy

I can't wait for the blockbusters to arrive. It's really dull right now.

BTW any serious gifted director is an artist grin grin May Boll's career be demolished grin grin Motion picture after all is an art form.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by vescucci(m): 12:15pm On Apr 03, 2008
Well there you have it! Da Supremo has said it all. What a comeback. Probably reading earlier posts and just couldn't contain yourself anymore, eh Spikyn? I've never seen the Matrix trilogy with your insight which BTW is very rich and quite right on! Egnite, there's another eye to look from! I also loved Animatrix, maybe it was just in contrast with how I liked The Matrix trilogy as a whole (Plus, singularly the Matrix movies were OK, but it was the downsliding from the first to the third that ticked me off). But I'm beginning to think we might be giving it too much importance, cuz I saw The Matrix yesterday, though in another language and I was not blown away again considering that I saw it last in 2000. I remember everything but seeing again, I spotted some more flaws. I guess Vescucci isn't Vescucci eight years ago.

Cate will sure win many many more. It's in her eyes and genes. She's just pat!

A lotta films to look forward to this year and I'm surely not lag behind. I hope.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 12:48pm On Apr 06, 2008
Another Frank Miller's book in the works. . .(The Spirit)

Hmmmm! Sounds interesting. . .only problem is Scarlett is in it undecided I don't know. . .but she bores me to sleep. Can't find anything interesting in her acting undecided

Also noticing Samuel L. all over the place. . .seems he has now taken to playing superhero roles or so undecided

BTW Charlton Heston has died sad

Ohhh rumour has it, a Capt. Marvel Movie may be done with 'The Rock' playing the title role undecided

There are erhhh 'conversations' about doing a new MK movie hmmmm Lambert maybe back as Raiden. . .Not definite though.

Ok this looks exciting. . .Denzel Washington is attached to star in the adaptation of the Matarese Circle. He will play the role of Bradley Scofield. . .I better go read the book lol
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by vescucci(m): 12:36pm On Apr 07, 2008
I've never had so much good news i one thread. Except for the part of Charlton's death (It's been all over the ABC network) besides, the dude's old enough. He played Moses when I probably wasn't alive.

The highlight of everything is the Matarese Circle film hopefully in the works. A black dude playing Scofield is definitely a new twist and Denzel playing it is kinda funny as Scofield was much younger in The Circle. If it was Countdown I'd have understood casting Denzel. Probably means, they're not going to stick to the original story very much, but I'm still excited nonetheless. Lets see what they spin off.

Samuel has indeed been all over the place but I think he's always been all over the place. Superhero for him will be quite new. Captain Marvel? That's something. I'll have to read up on that as I have no idea what they'll be trying to pull of with that!

And finally another MK movie wold be cool, but I doubt if Lambert will star. Definitely Rayden will probably make some sort of a cameo, but bringing back Lambert as Rayden will force them to bring back some familiar faces which I do't think will sit well with me. Except for Johnny Cage who I think is supposed to be dead. Anyway na them sabi!

So finally sup with y'all? iice thanks for the Matarese info. The old man will turn in his grave if they botch this one!
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 7:08pm On Apr 07, 2008
Yeah people are speculating who will play the russian. . .
I always thought Liev Schreiber should play a character in one of the Ludlum movies.

I can't find anything much on 'The Watchmen'. . .i want to see how this one plays out since Zack Snyder is directing.
The most i could see was a video blog for the set construction and decoration.

DiGilio's North Wind is being adapted into a movie. . .cool!

I loff adventure/fantasy stuffs tongue

Ok just saw this. . .Ryan Reynolds is rumoured to play either 'The Flash' or 'Deadpool'. . grin
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by spikyn: 7:19pm On Apr 14, 2008
On a non-movie note, I watched Idols -East Africa on Saturday, I was livid and I think I have a serious problem with people who have no business being in subjective authority over other human beings being there as judges/critics. Ratatouille had a very valid point in it's handling of the Anton Ego character and the nature of criticism of another person's work/effort/art.

Back on track: I've just seen Fool's Gold, AvP:Requiem, August Rush and am re-watching Firefly. What are y'all up to?
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 7:59pm On Apr 14, 2008
havent seen the idols, but my bro was like, its not his cup of tea undecided

How did you find august rush? I liked it (though some of the acting was undecided) but i like the whole music theme thing.
Haven't seen anything new. . .thinking of seeing something on wednesday though.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by topssy(m): 12:53am On Apr 15, 2008
Hi guys, visit my website www.destinyndreamz.co.uk
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 12:12pm On Apr 15, 2008
Dude stop spamming the whole site angry angry
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by spikyn: 1:47pm On Apr 15, 2008
I liked August Rush. I mean I was seeing all the "pitfalls" and see everything to complain about and yet I liked it. Mainly for it's unpretentiousness as much as for its soundtrack.

iice, no mind me, the Idols thing ticked me off to bits.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by vescucci(m): 12:54pm On Apr 16, 2008
Eyah Spikyn. I didn't even know the idol thingie was still on. Anyways, I'm glad they had the sense of Idols, West Africa and not a naija version as you would have blown your top completely if that were the case. I haven't been doing much Tv lately but I did manage to see AvP too, weird huh? saw some horror movies courtesy my freak friend who says 'The hills have eyes' is the closest he'd ever got to being scared by a film. i saw some oldies. Maybe me and Spikyn will share some thoughts on the old greats. My personal favorites being Olivia De'Havilland, Mickey Rooney, Judy Garland, Errol Flynn (everybody loves him) and later ones like James Dean and, lemme just wait for Spikyn
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by spikyn: 9:50pm On Apr 18, 2008
Hey Vesc! Are you into "classic movies" like that?
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 1:57pm On Apr 19, 2008
Spikyn cheesy no worries oooo. . .my brother was irritated too with the show.

Yes Vesc is mad about classics grin grin me - noooo tongue
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by vescucci(m): 1:38pm On Apr 21, 2008
Yup! Love em! iice captured my stance in so few a words. Love the fact that they have sooo little to work with. But then they didn't know that. Plus, in say 20 years from now, a film like LOTR will look like Clash of the Titans looks like now. And really, when you watch these films with a little feeling, I can't see how you would at least like em. There are few obnoxious actors like Ben Affleck around them too. And the stars were really stars. Nowadays, there are probably as many stars in the U. S. of A as there are in a clear night sky!
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 2:57am On Apr 22, 2008
Stars like Cary Grant huh? tongue
Can't wait for next week. . .Iron Man opens grin
It's been terribly boring these days. . .nothing good to watch undecided
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by Dreloaded(f): 3:00am On Apr 22, 2008
I watched The Other Boelyn Girl & The Life Before Her Eyes in past couple of weeks. Both pretty good movies

Lol iice have you seen the trailer for Tropic Thunder? Shit looks hilarious. well mainly cos of Robert Downey Jnr' character anyway grin
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 3:08am On Apr 22, 2008
Was the other boelyn girl that good? Didn't hear good reviews about that movie, so i didn't check it out, besides am not a fan of scarlett undecided

Yeah i saw the trailer lmao. This may bring Stiller back into the game.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by Dreloaded(f): 3:51am On Apr 22, 2008
I enjoyed it for what it was. I thought it was fine, most people were expecting historical facts, many things about Henry and his situation with Anne Bolelyn was ignored but I didnt mind, I already know the real story anyway besides this was about her sister Mary, not Anne

and I watched it mainly for Natalie Portman anyway plus Eric Bana is hott wink
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 4:26am On Apr 22, 2008
Yes i like Natalie and Eric. . .well i'll give it a shot.

Is it me or is Evan Rachel Wood looking more and more like Dita Von Tease
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by wendymanda: 4:27am On Apr 22, 2008
What about Spike lee.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by Dreloaded(f): 2:12pm On Apr 22, 2008
all I know is that Evan needs to stop playing the same bloody roles. I mean she's good at it and all but I'd think by now she'd try to be abit more diverse
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 9:51am On Apr 24, 2008
TOH, maybe it's her comfort zone lol.
Some actors/actresses don't do well outside their zone

What about Spike lee.

I won't say am a huge fan. I like some of his works mostly for saying things as they were and not backing away from it.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by wendymanda: 9:58am On Apr 24, 2008
iice:

[color=#9900ff]I won't say am a huge fan. I like some of his works mostly for saying things as they were and not backing away from it.

Well I guess I don't watch much of his stuff but since he is one of the few black ones I give him props.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 10:08am On Apr 24, 2008
I haven't watched all his movies. Coz my favorite genres run along different lines.
wendymanda:

Well I guess I don't watch much of his stuff but since he is one of the few black ones I give him props.

One of the few who make sense. . .some others just put a few scenes together and call the crap a movie.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by wendymanda: 10:12am On Apr 24, 2008
Well the Wyans are trying but some of their stuff is , Anyways I watched a movie with Juvinille and almost threw up. Granted my friends bought for $1.00 at Walmart for fun but it sucked so bad we laughed rather than watch the piece of (please fill in the blank)
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 10:44am On Apr 24, 2008
Stay away from movies with rappers, singers etc especially if they have the starring roles. Most often than not, those movies will make you regret watching them. There is a thread on African American movies (Black movies)
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-280.0.html. . .it's a pretty good read. I don't really watch them. . .its the case of seen one, seen them all undecided

The Wayans did try for bit but thats as far as it goes. Its like a ladder thing with them, take 1 step up, slide 1 steps down. undecided
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 11:38am On Apr 24, 2008
Vesc,
I did see the teaser for Frank Miller's 'The Spirit'
It has that Sin City vibe. . .dark with splashes of color. Although i read, it's not all gonna be on the green screen like Sin City. There are parts of the set that is real.
There was also something about adapting his 'Hard-boiled' comic into a movie. . .hahaha we haven't even seen this one, and already another is rumoured to be adapted, and this time he wants to direct undecided

Ohhhh there are rumours too of a sequel and prequel to Speed Racer ahahahahahahaha. . .like hello Please lets first see if there is more than what we saw in the trailers grin grin
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Apr 24, 2008
Go write a novel @Vescucci, gaddamnit man
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by Dreloaded(f): 2:14pm On Apr 24, 2008
lol iice, well soon she's gonna have to grow up cos I'd hate to see her in her 40s still trying to play the role of the "wild teenager"
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 4:36pm On Apr 24, 2008
TOH thats just disgusting lol tongue

Vesc, got another update for you. . .you'll like this tongue
The israel actress Ayelet Zurer lands the female lead in Angels and Demons opposite Tom Hanks. . .
She was in Munich and last seen in Vantage Point. . .the Lady who set the bomb off, she who was in the ambulance with the OG planner.
Errhhhh hmmmmm i wonder if Ron is directing this too undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (60) (Reply)

Kiddwaya Offers Cee-C N120 Million To Leave The Big Brother All Stars House / Bisola's Baby Daddy, Olanrewaju Malcolm: Leave My Daughter Out Of Bisola's Life / BBNaija: Omashola Squeezes Mercy's Butt At The Party (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.