Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,798 members, 7,831,583 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior (32315 Views)

Female Army Officer Ogunleye Ruth Cries Out For Help Over Alleged Superior Maltr / Ike Eweama Promoted To Colonel In US Army (Photos) / Asp Amina, Igp Idris' Mistress Who Was Promoted From Corporal To Asp In 12 Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by flokii: 3:20pm On Feb 16, 2022
Xtianah09:
You need to start questioning their inability to report to you, or else it might cost you ur Job.

He shouldn't do that just yet.. I think the best approach for him is to discuss it with his ogas at area and state level, let them be the ones to advice him.

The fact say you no fit do evil no mean say others no go fit. He should watch his back at this stage except he has selina. May evil arrows not have power over us.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by YellowMayor(m): 3:21pm On Feb 16, 2022
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

I worked in one of the financial institution in the country, sometimes last year I was promoted to head the department at zonal level, (good News right).
here is the problem and challenges I have been facing on the job, I have almost six superior that are above me in terms of ranks, but I was made to supervise them. this superior don't send their report to me or seek my opinion on anything.

I know they are not happy with me. my regional manager on sensing that this may be a problem recommended that I should be promoted ahead of all my superior yet our management is not saying anything about the recommendation of my regional manager.

most of this superior lobbied for this position but I was picked because of my ability's to deliver on the job.

experience peeps how do I handle a situation where I am supervising my superior yet they are not reporting to me or can I issue queries to them.

Congratulations
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by tfelicityk(m): 3:22pm On Feb 16, 2022
Congratulations to you...

First of all, let off the phobia.
It is the prayers you have being asking God to do for you.

Secondly, be dedicated to your work.

Administratively, write to the said superior letting them to know you have not being receiving their reports due to the policy, rules and regulations of the institution.

If they refused to comply let the management aware of development...

Do not be incarceration with them at all.

Good luck and God protection upon you
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by mannasseh(m): 3:23pm On Feb 16, 2022
be spiritually ready.... they will battle you
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by gstream: 3:24pm On Feb 16, 2022
Have a formal meeting with them to discuss work challenges & moving forward, if they refuse to key to the plan, query them first time without copying your superior, if they still remain adamant, issue a second query and inform them that you will copy your boss, and if they don't turn up, issue the third one and copy your bosses because, if you were in their shoes, that's what they would do.
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

I worked in one of the financial institution in the country, sometimes last year I was promoted to head the department at zonal level, (good News right).
here is the problem and challenges I have been facing on the job, I have almost six superior that are above me in terms of ranks, but I was made to supervise them. this superior don't send their report to me or seek my opinion on anything.

I know they are not happy with me. my regional manager on sensing that this may be a problem recommended that I should be promoted ahead of all my superior yet our management is not saying anything about the recommendation of my regional manager.

most of this superior lobbied for this position but I was picked because of my ability's to deliver on the job.

experience peeps how do I handle a situation where I am supervising my superior yet they are not reporting to me or can I issue queries to them.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Habayomie(m): 3:27pm On Feb 16, 2022
What I told my my subordinates when I was in your shoes.
"Hey friends,pls let's work together, let's work hand in hand,.I am not the boss,but a captain.Support me with your ideas,and we will grow together"
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by frog12: 3:29pm On Feb 16, 2022
just continue to do your job. cover everything. with time, they will forget or you will discipline them grin

you were picked because of performance , right? and not because of favouritism?
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by moneyissweet(m): 3:31pm On Feb 16, 2022
Congrats,but make sure you have contact of a very powerful and rugged spiritualist because you will need one real

Always watch your back in case some niggars wanna test you with mentals.

This isn't a joke o

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Nwakannaya1: 3:34pm On Feb 16, 2022
The people who gave you that position are either daft or wants to pit you against those superiors. This is why.

Before telling a junior to handle a position, you need to remove his superiors and mates from that department, else, you would risk insubordination. The people who put you there should have transferred those your superiors to another zone or another department.

Let me tell you, NOTHING would make them outrightly obey you, in fact, if any one of them starts obeying you wholely, you should be suspicious. If you have a way, insulate them and get your results. Don't try to force them, it can backfire, don't attempt to turn them to friends, you would be shooting yourself on the leg. If you can't insulate them, keep everything official. Avoid issuing query, avoid it, let any query going to them come from their superiors.

There is more to life that office politics.

3 Likes

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by VULCAN(m): 3:34pm On Feb 16, 2022
Because you are bound to only see things based on your past experiences you believe that whatever situation is alien to you is impossible.

So let me paint a scenario for you.

His boss had noticed those 6 fellows have an attitude and knows he cannot fire them without cause so he has chosen to humiliate them out of office.

OP has shown some good traits that the boss likes and that has made him a tool in his boss's plans.

If you could read btw the lines you would have understood that OP does not know how to play the Game of Thrones. He is a genuine fellow who appears in over his head.

Alusiizizi:

Let us assume that this your story is not a fiction(which it likely is), you claim to have been promoted over six superiors based on "job performance" which is probably a big fat lie. More likely, you have familiarity with the powers that be in that institution, one way or another and has nothing to do with imagined ability. Being more capable than one of those superiors? Not impossible. Being more capable than 6 of them in a row? Bullshit!!

2 Likes

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by VULCAN(m): 3:36pm On Feb 16, 2022
OP, you have received sound advise here about copying your boss when you mail these fellows. Start immediately and the first headline should be Refusal to submit reports.

State it respectfully that anyone who does not submit all previous reports along with the new ones should expect a query by so so and so date.

Make sure you keep your boss in the loop privately about all their moves cos those guys are going to try and set you up. But if your boss knows all the gimmicks they are up to nothing will come out of it. But don't whine like a baby or he will think you don't have what it takes.

And finally get yourself some spiritual covering. Identify at least 2 genuine ministers who operate in the prophetic to speak into your life so that whatever those guys try to do spiritually will bounce back.

I said ministers not babalawo ooh!

2 Likes

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by frozen70(f): 3:44pm On Feb 16, 2022
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

You are already a superior to your seniors in the job

What you need now is wisdom

They are not happy and cab set you up with out notice

Just manage them the way you can manage bad friends
Ignore any attempt from them to pull you down
Don't query them

They are not ready to report to you, so if they don't report to you, ignore that part until your own immediate boss observes that by himself

Don't do the mistake of reporting them to any one

The will finally be the one to report themselves

But if you can't cope, you can seek a transfer so far you can still perform the same task another place

As it is now, your job safety and life is the most important thing for you

1 Like

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by onegig(m): 3:45pm On Feb 16, 2022
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

Tact. Tact. Tact.

There is office politics everywhere you go.

Your concern should be 100% on delivering the job. If your SOP requires someone sends a monthly request. Call them first to ask that their reports is due and you would appreciate if they can send it to you. There is a way you can speak with authority but still respect the receiver of the request.

I have had to make requests from people far and above my level. Call ahead and ask them. Then follow up with an email after the time they promised delivery. It comes with managing your job responsibilities.

If there is a project, call them first and get their input. Respect each person, their thought processes and argue only on t*he facts and not the persons opinion. You need to be very open and flexible about things.

Anyone of them that does a bit of work positively or shows alignment to your goals. Try publicly praising them for the job. You have to overcompensate.

Your success in that role would hinge on handling/managing all conflicting emotions and egos. Don't start off with sending queries up and down. You would set yourself up for a toxic work environment and i can guarantee you. You would not gain much traction with such.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Juliearth(f): 3:50pm On Feb 16, 2022
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

Congratulations!
You got that promotion because you deserved it. Top management chose you over those lobbying because they trust your work and worth... Do not put them to shame.

Do your work diligently. Do not command respect from your former bosses, earn. Treat them with respect but do not be complacent with any form of insubordination or lacklustre behaviour from them.
Above all, pray and be wise!
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by treatise: 3:57pm On Feb 16, 2022
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

Your company may be a micro-finance institution ; no standard financial institution would intentionally create acrimonious business aura that would ultimately induce wars of attrition.

1 Like

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by frog12: 4:09pm On Feb 16, 2022
regional head is higher than zonal head. lagos zone, western region

manontree:
Hmm. You really haven't told us much. A regional Manager is lower to a Zonal Head. Now your boss is an RM. Funny structure. Then again, you were made a Zonal Head at lower rank, pushing up a situation where six people are superior to you but were made to be answerable to you

This is usually not ok and whoever gave you that role doesn't mean well for the organisation. The proper thing is to make a higher ranked person boss of a zone. Your RM's recommendation for promotion is basically just that: Recommendation. Management consider a lot of issues and cost before promoting senior staff so this may well take long in coming. The same RM should transfer those six senior people to other regions so that you can effectively control those under your supervision

Nyanga dey him own trouble waka go dey nudge am
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Clinghton: 4:10pm On Feb 16, 2022
Be vigilante, they might go spiritual against you.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by frog12: 4:12pm On Feb 16, 2022
it happens all the time

SmartPolician:

Asking someone to supervise their superiors doesn't make sense to a sane mind anywhere in the world.

If they really need someone to supervise them, he should be promoted above them (like it was recommended) because everything just looks like a trap now.

Remember, anyone who used politics to get to the top can pull strings to actualize the unthinkable.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by spencekat(m): 4:14pm On Feb 16, 2022
Boss13:

Call for a meeting. Be respectful because life is transient and you never know. Seek for the support and promise them you have good intentions. If the insubordination continues escalate to your supervisor to straighten things out. However, throughout their stay in the organization be nice and respectful to me even call them Boss just to acknowledge they were once your supervisors.

[/b]With time they will get over it [b]
Sure
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by slimjohn2k5: 4:14pm On Feb 16, 2022
My advise is you be transferred or they be transferred
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by dawnomike(m): 4:14pm On Feb 16, 2022
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

Call them for a closed doors meeting where you get to address the issue... If they do not conform after that, do the needful-queries
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by frog12: 4:15pm On Feb 16, 2022
nonsense. we no learn anything from here

Nicerazor:
Watch out bro. Means they want to use you to shake some tables. I have been in your shoe before. I did my SIWES in a popular cinema in Lagos, worked in their in house Security dept coz of my undergrad program in Criminology and Security Studies.
I was converted to permanent staff, promoted to supervisor of the cinema hall attendants coz they work hand in hand with security team. There are staff who have been there for 8-13 yrs and I was not even up to 2 yrs with the company.
Barely 6 months as supervisor I received a letter from the HR to work as Assistant Business manager of a branch of the cinema in Lagos. I knew I was getting closer to my exit, I wanted to turn it down but the General Manager ( Indian) threatened me with sack.
I consulted my mentor in the coy but he said I should accept the offer to build my experiences. Long story short the GM is the one doing the magic promotion so he can use me as a mule against the branch business manager and some cartels in the branch. I worked for some months in my new role and resigned and that was one my the best decision I have made in my life.
The BM was later transferred to the Hq and she was sacked.
Some promotions especially big organizations is to USE YOU and you will be dumped eventually.
Don’t let the promotion get to your head and pls watch your back.
Do your work and don’t fight your colleague coz of another person work. My former colleague in the same company helped me with a business after like 3 months we both left the cinema.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by candidladyTemp(f): 4:15pm On Feb 16, 2022
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Adlac(m): 4:25pm On Feb 16, 2022
Shithooo:
Ok

You no dey TIRE?
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by nightbuzzer: 4:31pm On Feb 16, 2022
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

Take them to one conner and settle it off official level ....
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by frog12: 4:34pm On Feb 16, 2022
try to understand your new responsibility and get advise from your peers if you have any.
i worked in a bank before in one operation department with 10 people or more. there was a supervisor. i think i was one of the better experienced staff but somehow the supervisor informed the others to provide information to one of our peers without my knowledge.
i saw everyone going to him like he was their boss and i was wondering what was going on. he suddenly came to me and started giving orders verbally in disrespectful manner. i simply told him the info is to be given to the supervisor. he stopped misbehaving after, and was warned by his other office friends to be afraid of me.

the lesson is, respect your former superiors and just tell them you don't know why you were promoted. so they'll understand. don't give them orders in public, maybe in a private chat room or software, and in a nice way. always do it in a joking way. the tough part is team meeting where the RM may want to observe grin grin

i have other stories of backstabbing where even the director take sides but be prepared, and even be prepared to resign (if you think you are right) cheesy

1 Like

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by GambaOsaka: 4:35pm On Feb 16, 2022
onegig:

Tact. Tact. Tact.

There is office politics everywhere you go.

Your concern should be 100% on delivering the job. If your SOP requires someone sends a monthly request. Call them first to ask that their reports is due and you would appreciate if they can send it to you. There is a way you can speak with authority but still respect the receiver of the request.

I have had to make requests from people far and above my level. Call ahead and ask them. Then follow up with an email after the time they promised delivery. It comes with managing your job responsibilities.

If there is a project, call them first and get their input. Respect each person, their thought processes and argue only on t*he facts and not the persons opinion. You need to be very open and flexible about things.

Anyone of them that does a bit of work positively or shows alignment to your goals. Try publicly praising them for the job. You have to overcompensate.

Your success in that role would hinge on handling/managing all conflicting emotions and egos. Don't start off with sending queries up and down. You would set yourself up for a toxic work environment and i can guarantee you. You would not gain much traction with such.

Mr OP, please follow this person's advice. If you start giving out QUERIES as some mumu are shouting here, my brother, you will regret.
People who never do class captain dey advise office manager.. shiooo

3 Likes

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Originalsly: 4:36pm On Feb 16, 2022
You were recommended... you were picked ... which is it? If you were promoted to a position ... you are expected to perform well there. Know your job description.... know those of your subordinates and what is expected of them. Stop looking face ... let every man bear his weight ... if he's not up to par... call him in your office and let him know exactly what you want. Theybwill try to undermine you .... take corrective action to set a tone. Make an example of a stubborn one ... go to your superior and recommend demotion for him... the rest will automatically become team players. If you allow them to be... you will be seen as unfit for the position and soon be cast back down where they will make life miserable for you.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Alusiizizi(m): 4:40pm On Feb 16, 2022
VULCAN:
Because you are bound to only see things based on your past experiences you believe that whatever situation is alien to you is impossible.

So let me paint a scenario for you.

His boss had noticed those 6 fellows have an attitude and knows he cannot fire them without cause so he has chosen to humiliate them out of office.

OP has shown some good traits that the boss likes and that has made him a tool in his boss's plans.

If you could read btw the lines you would have understood that OP does not know how to play the Game of Thrones. He is a genuine fellow who appears in over his head.

You know, the one thing about (most)Nigerians is that they would rather believe in fantasy than lend ear to the truth. They quickly believe in that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and scorn you if you try to tell them the truth, that the rainbow that they are looking at never actually touches the earth and has no end. Ready to believe that the sun rises from the west as long as it comes along with good fortune.

You for example, you have no idea who this OP is, not even his real name and yet not only did you buy every letter of his story about being promoted over six superiors in a row because of dreamed-up "capabilities"(an extremely unlikely situation even in a sane country), you even take it upon yourself to be his de-facto mouthpiece, coming to his defense when I doubt credibility.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Dagr8tosyn: 4:43pm On Feb 16, 2022
Please be humble, the promotion is a test of your faith and humility, don't issue query to anyone of them, don't beg them to report to you, do a mail with instruction on when to send the weekly or monthly report and whoever fail to do same and did not notify you ahead or any of the team to cover up let such person's appraisal have a comment saying (He fail to report activities on the Job frequently and may be advise to join another team) Simple. Let them know its a team work, you are only there to work and their corporation is utmost to achieving the team goal as you cant do it all (This is diplomacy). Be wise with them and avoid argument as much as possible. You will win with prayers ok.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Check These Beautiful Photos Of A Nigerian Female Fire Fighter / Magistrate Denies A Muslim Counsel Audience For Wearing Hijab / If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School Will You Still Study The Same Course

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.