Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,700 members, 7,827,567 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms (9443 Views)

Tinubu Suspends 5% Telecoms Tax, Defers Finance Act To Sept 1 / FG Replaces Stamp Duty With N50 Electronic Transfer Levy / FG Introduces Stamp Duty On House Rent Agreement, C Of O, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by ijustdey: 12:03pm On Feb 22, 2022
From Adanna Nnamani, Abuja

As the battle on stamp duty collection intensifies, there are indications that the Federal Government and a trade union may be heading for a collision course over whose mandate it is to collect stamp duties and charges.

The Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) and Nigeria Postal Service (NIPOST) have for a while now been embattled over who is authorised by the law to assess, collect and account for the stamp duty charges.

NIPOST was stripped of the capacity with the recent signing of the Finance Act by President Muhammadu Buhari.

But the Senior Staff Association of Statutory Corporations and Government-Owned Companies (SSASCGOC), an affiliate of TUC, has opposed the development.

Speaking to journalists in Abuja at the weekend, the National Treasurer of TUC, who is the immediate past President-General of SSASCGOC, Mohammad Yunusa, said that the Federal Government has already been dragged to court over the matter.

He said, ‘’The problem we have is the one that is connected to the Federal Government directly which is about the Finance Act. The Finance Act has given the primary functions of NIPOST which is one of our branches to FIRS and we have challenged the government on this matter even to the court that the Finance Act must be repealed.

‘’You can’t take the statutory function of NIPOST and give it to other agency in the disguise of the Finance Act, we can’t accept it. Is there any organisation by law that is allowed to produce and sell stamps in Nigeria apart from NIPOST? That’s what they are trying to do but it is not acceptable to us.’’ In addition, Yunusa disclosed that his union would do everything possible in its rights to ensure the move by the government to privatise the Nigerian Communications Satellites are not achieved.

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/finance-act-fresh-crisis-looms-over-stamp-duty-collection/

1 Like

Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by GraphicsMaster1: 12:40pm On Feb 22, 2022
... From Adanna Nnamani, Abuja

As the battle on stamp duty collection intensifies, there are indications that the Federal Government and a trade union may be heading for a collision course over whose mandate it is to collect stamp duties and charges....
NIPOST was stripped of the capacity with the recent signing of the Finance Act by President Muhammadu Buhari?

2 Likes

Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by shuttox: 12:41pm On Feb 22, 2022
Who e help??

I don't care cos embezzlers go still chop the money

3 Likes

Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by todaynewsreview: 12:41pm On Feb 22, 2022
Stamps should be restricted to postal services. Why will deduction be made by Banks on transactions and still be termed Stamp charges? That's unfair. They may chose to call it a different name but the name Stamp Duty should be changed. Probably the reason for the series of court cases.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by Emu4life(m): 12:41pm On Feb 22, 2022
From PMS price increase To 100% Import duty increase To Stamp duty Wahala. Nawa o! Wetin Nigerians take offend APC na??
And when dem been dey warn us, we no gree hear o....

4 Likes

Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by omoredia: 12:43pm On Feb 22, 2022
Shameless country. We need to have some shame by now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by Ajarhcollins(m): 12:45pm On Feb 22, 2022
Naija our country
Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by rookidmart: 12:46pm On Feb 22, 2022
Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by Crucialgem(m): 12:46pm On Feb 22, 2022
It is high time we start getting things right in this country, let old things get passed and pave way for new things

NIGERIA WILL BE GREAT AGAIN✊❤
Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by CryptoTeacher(m): 12:55pm On Feb 22, 2022
Hmmm. I grew up associating stamp with NIPOST. So I now have to unlearn that and associate it with FIRS?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by stano2(m): 12:55pm On Feb 22, 2022
I don't even understand this Stamp duty charge of a thing...I get charged often.
I had to ask the bank about this and I was informed federal government/CBN are they ones taking theses charges.

Make person clear me abeg
Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by Emeskhalifa(m): 12:56pm On Feb 22, 2022
todaynewsreview:
Stamps should be restricted to postal services. Why will deduction be made by Banks on transactions and still be termed Stamp charges? That's unfair. They may chose to call it a different name but the name Stamp Duty should be changed. Probably the reason for the series of court cases.

Thought they have changed it to "electronic levy"

Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by Basheer22: 12:58pm On Feb 22, 2022
Emeskhalifa:

Thought they have changed it to "electronic levy"

They can't just change the name. If they change it to electronic levy, it is illegal to charge it. The law does not recognise electronic levy and the banks are joking with serious litigation.
Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by Indelibleage: 1:01pm On Feb 22, 2022
After they have collected everything from us, make dem no collect heaven from those of that have made up our minds to go there.
Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by GardenOfGod(m): 1:01pm On Feb 22, 2022
Interesting
Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by nicedayontop: 1:03pm On Feb 22, 2022
Buhari causes confusion continuosly ( BCCC )
Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by gambia(m): 1:04pm On Feb 22, 2022
Buhari is doing really well.
Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by Adeniranloye(m): 1:06pm On Feb 22, 2022
why will the FIRS be the one to have the stamp duty remittance

If they are out of production for the postage stamp or they want to make production will they be ask to meet FIRS for the production finance.

Wetin small boy like me know self
Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by CheapWebsite1: 1:09pm On Feb 22, 2022
hmmmmmmm
Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by TheABOMINATION: 1:21pm On Feb 22, 2022
Buhari and his cohort are bent on using every avenue to loot.
Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by HarunaWest(m): 1:32pm On Feb 22, 2022
stano2:
I don't even understand this Stamp duty charge of a thing...I get charged often.
I had to ask the bank about this and I was informed federal government/CBN are they ones taking theses charges.

Make person clear me abeg
Okay let me use layman terms. Imagine in the olden days before the advent of digital technology, internet and all that. If you were to send money to someone say from lagos to abuja by mail, you will purchase a stamp of 50 Kobo or 1 naira and send. Even till this days, if you are to send a physical letter, goods or document to a mailbox, you must attach a stamp. Its a kinda tax charged solely by NIPOST for Nigeria. So what we pay now is electronic stamp duty. This is charged in developed countries as well.

1 Like

Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by seunlayi(m): 2:13pm On Feb 22, 2022
It is well
Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by aribisala0(m): 2:13pm On Feb 22, 2022
todaynewsreview:
There are many kinds of stamps not just postage stamps
e.g Most University degrees have a stamp
There are rubber stamps/seals
Legals stamps have been in existence before postal stamps

The stamp in question here has nothing to do with postage stamps but a stamp places on legal documents e,g
Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by Nobody: 2:20pm On Feb 22, 2022
Stealing in the name of the law.
Re: Finance Act: Stamp Duty Collection - Fresh Crisis Looms by stano2(m): 2:33pm On Feb 22, 2022
HarunaWest:
Okay let me use layman terms. Imagine in the olden days before the advent of digital technology, internet and all that. If you were to send money to someone say from lagos to abuja by mail, you will purchase a stamp of 50 Kobo or 1 naira and send. Even till this days, if you are to send a physical letter, goods or document to a mailbox, you must attach a stamp. Its a kinda tax charged solely by NIPOST for Nigeria. So what we pay now is electronic stamp duty. This is charged in developed countries as well.
Thanks sir… all this taxes and still no sector of the country is doing well

(1) (2) (Reply)

Off-cycle Polls; "APC Is The Biggest Political Party" - Buhari / #OneYearInOffice: Ohanaeze Hails Ikpeazu, Sets Up Vigilante Group / Three-Day Working Policy Won't Affect Salaries - Okorocha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.