Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,200 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Today Is Ash Wednesday - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Today Is Ash Wednesday (10123 Views)

Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period / Today Is Ash Wednesday; Beginning Of Lent / Insecurity: Catholics In Nigeria To Wear Black Outfits On Ash Wednesday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by Kfed4ril(m): 12:26pm On Mar 03, 2022
Optimistguy1969:
I'm a Christian, but you see that Ash Catholics put on their forehead, ITS PURE NØNSENSE!!!!

I’m an Anglican and we also put the ash.
It’s not nonsense, it’s a reminder that from dust we come and dust we shall return, so we should live a life pleasing to our maker.
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by Kobojunkie: 2:17pm On Mar 03, 2022
ifiokjohn:
I swear you no get Sense.

1. No be Jesus tell him disciples say anything they bound on Earth has been bound in heaven and anything they lose on Earth is lose in heaven.

2. Also you believe lent is evil abeg didn't the people of Nineveh put ashes on their heads to beg for forgiveness? That's also wat lent is about.

3. Did God tell them to put ashes on their heads? No. How come God accepted their repentance? Lol the people of Nineveh used Sam tradition of men to gain forgiveness from God. So I'll take their experience over you any day and time.

4. Have noticed you in this forum, you behave like you know everything while you're as ignorant as anything.
Yu have no sense and do not even understand what you claim too.

5. We see in Many instances in the Bible where different individuals put ashes in on their heads to show repentance and God forgive them. If God is against it, would he forgive them? Use your head Oga. Mtcheeeew.

6. By the way, Go and quarrel Jesus for telling his disciples that. Mtcheeeew
1. The Muslim guy who previously responded to you already put your sense to test there. So no need for me to respond since you refuse to believe Jesus Christ in that one.. undecided

2. Did God call you to doing as the Ninevites did or did Jesus Christ call you to doing as He commands to you, which one? You lot like to look for rituals in obscure places, anything to avoid doing exactly as God has in fact commanded of you. undecided

3. God never accepted their repentance because they put ashes on their body or wore sack clothing you all conveniently refuse to do with your pick-n-choose theologies.... no, God forgave the Ninevites strictly because they obeyed Him ... obedience is the key and reason why God forgave them. undecided

God didn't send you all Noah, instead He sent Jesus Christ with a different Law for you to obey but as expected, the message is ignored so you can have your Pagan rituals and celebrations. undecided

4. You should also have noticed that I also seem to be used to engaging even small minds such as yourself. undecided

5. Again, in all those places you claim to have observed the use of Ashes, not a single one of them do you find God claiming to have forgiven any man because you put ash on himself. Instead God only forgives those who obey Him ___ obedience, not ash, is the Key to God's forgiveness. undecided

6. Jesus Christ never commanded His followers to throw ash on themselves. So I am not certain where your silly claim is culled from. undecided
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by Kobojunkie: 2:23pm On Mar 03, 2022
Kfed4ril:

I’m an Anglican and we also put the ash.
It’s not nonsense, it’s a reminder that from dust we come and dust we shall return, so we should live a life pleasing to our maker.
It is nonsense!

1. What meaning is there in glorifying God's curse on mankind, the consequence of Adam's sin against God, the very curse God sent Jesus Christ to redeem men from?. undecided

2. If God calls men to repentance - a changing from following of the Old Way to the New Way, and eternal life instead of perishing in the grave, why ceremonies that depict man returning to dust from which he was made? What is that nonsense for if not an insult meant to God?. undecided
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by ifiokjohn(m): 2:44pm On Mar 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. The Muslim guy who previously responded to you already put your sense to test there. So no need for me to respond since you refuse to believe Jesus Christ in that one.. undecided

Both of you lack sense. He is asking stupid Question just like you.

Did God ask you to drive car? Why are you driving one now?

2. Did God call you to doing as the Ninevites did or did Jesus Christ call you to doing as He commands to you, which one? You lot like to look for rituals in obscure places, anything to avoid doing exactly as God has in fact commanded of you. undecided

.idiot. did God tell David and others people of isreal to do like the Nineveh people? Why did they do like them?

Mtcheeeew

3. God never accepted their repentance because they put ashes on their body or wore sack clothing you all conveniently refuse to do with your pick-n-choose theologies.... no, God forgave the Ninevites strictly because they obeyed Him ... obedience is the key and reason why God forgave them. undecided

You're a big idiot. They did Al that to show Repentance just like the Catholics are doing to show Repentance.

God didn't send you all Noah, instead He sent Jesus Christ with a different Law for you to obey but as expected, the message is ignored so you can have your Pagan rituals and celebrations. undecided

Anything you want talk. Snce God sent Jesus and we should only follow Jesus law..tat means make we dump the 10 commandments Na. Mtcheeeew.

Abi Jesus no tell you say he didn't come to remove the law but to fulfil it?

4. You should also have noticed that I also seem to be used to engaging even small minds such as yourself. undecided

Lol nigga when it come to the Bible I will floor you hands down. Mtcheeeew

5. Again, in all those places you claim to have observed the use of Ashes, not a single one of them do you find God claiming to have forgiven any man because you put ash on himself. Instead God only forgives those who obey Him ___ obedience, not ash, is the Key to God's forgiveness. undecided

.yes, the Catholics putting this ash on their heads are not serious. They're not serious about repentance. Mtcheeeew.

6. Jesus Christ never commanded His followers to throw ash on themselves. So I am not certain where your silly claim is culled from. undecided

Did Jesus command you to drive car? Whyre you driving one nw.? Idiot
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by Kobojunkie: 2:46pm On Mar 03, 2022
ifiokjohn:
Did Jesus command you to drive car? Whyre you driving one nw.? Idiot
Do you drive your car in the name of Jesus Christ or to His glory? undecided
Is your car of the Kingdom of God? undecided

I mean I don't understand why you lot ask such inane questions except for you don't have a clue what it means to worship God in Jesus Christ nor what it means to claim you believe in Him. undecided

1 Like

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by Kobojunkie: 3:03pm On Mar 03, 2022
simplesearch:
Actually there is no Ash Wednesday in the scripture. This and many other things we observe constitute distractions to our faith and holy walk with God.
They aren't simply distractions as they happen to harden people against following and obeying God's commandments. undecided

You can see this by how those who have been indoctrinated in these rituals and traditions fight tooth and nail against doing any of that which God has in fact commanded, yet they convince themselves that there defiance is of and glorifies God ____ a form of blindness of the worst kind. undecided
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by Kobojunkie: 3:05pm On Mar 03, 2022
BigDawsNet:
God is good
When shame overwhelms us, grace still surrounds us.
God's grace does no such thing. Maybe the grace you obtain from following your Pastors and mogs maybe, but not God's grace.. undecided
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by Kobojunkie: 3:06pm On Mar 03, 2022
Offpoint1:
What's ash Wednesday and it's significance?
It is Pagan ritual carried out by those who hide behind the "Christian" badge to do their evil. undecided
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by Kobojunkie: 3:07pm On Mar 03, 2022
Polint:
Let's remember to be holy during this period.
How can you exhibit holiness when what you do glorifies that which is a curse? undecided
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by Kobojunkie: 3:08pm On Mar 03, 2022
ikorodureporta:
I won fast small today, as pope direct us... .. common to warm my food for morning, I ended up tasting it as usual before I remember grin
The pope commands you. Interesting! undecided
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by ifiokjohn(m): 3:16pm On Mar 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Do you drive your car in the name of Jesus Christ or to His glory? undecided
Is your car of the Kingdom of God? undecided

I mean I don't understand why you lot ask such inane questions except for you don't have a clue what it means to worship God in Jesus Christ nor what it means to claim you believe in Him. undecided
You said we should only do wat Jesus asked us to do.. Jesus didn't ask us to drive car or fly in aeroplanes and yet we are.

We are putting ashes on our heads to signifies to God we are sinners and have repented.. for us to also remember we are dust and came from dust which we will return to one day. That's the significant of Lent.
So that we should think heaven and not the things we own on Earth.

We don't need God or Jesus to tell us it's right before we do it. We do it because we know it right.

Lent also signifies fasting and abstinence of many things. Many of which God told us to abstain from.

I hope I have educated you enough. Dullard.
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by ANTIlSLAM(m): 3:20pm On Mar 03, 2022
AntiChristian:

No wonder you passed your SSCE English with help! See the questions asked and see your answer!

Did Jesus fast in lent?

Did Jesus put Ash on people forehead as we dey see today?

Who started all these?

It is here on this platform I told you the origin of lent and that lent is not a must do or die obligations in Christendom as your own Ramadan is a must do and die affairs..

Must I be repeating myself everytime? Is that how your teachers do repeat simple sentence for you just to get the basic understanding of it?
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by Kobojunkie: 3:41pm On Mar 03, 2022
ifiokjohn:
1. You said we should only do wat Jesus asked us to do.. Jesus didn't ask us to drive car or fly in aeroplanes and yet we are.

2. We are putting ashes on our heads to signifies to God we are sinners and have repented.. for us to also remember we are dust and came from dust which we will return to one day. That's the significant of Lent.
So that we should think heaven and not the things we own on Earth.

3. We don't need God or Jesus to tell us it's right before we do it. We do it because we know it right.

4. Lent also signifies fasting and abstinence of many things. Many of which God told us to abstain from.

I hope I have educated you enough. Dullard.
1. Ofcourse, do in the name of Jesus Christ, that which Jesus Christ has commanded. You folks are here searching up obscure reasons to justify what is paganism which you practice in the name of Jesus Christ and I rightly asked you if you drive your cars in the name of the name or Jesus Christ. undecided

2. Putting ashes on your heads signifies nothing since your sins have nothing to do with dust or ashes. And repentance as taught by John the Baptist and by Jesus Christ implies active change from following the Old way to following of the the New way(Jesus Christ). undecided

Dust was a curse from God on mankind. That curse we are redeemed from in Jesus Christ. So your annual rituals to the glory of the curse is nothing short of wickedness. The curse is of this earth and has absolutely nothing to do with Heaven so please perish the thought that this ritual brings you any closer to Heaven than this curse - nothing of the curse enters into the presence of God. undecided

3. Now you are finally confessing! Your doctrines and traditions are indeed of men(lies) and have absolutely nothing to do with God and Jesus Christ __ that is sure
However, why do you then hide your Pagan ideas behind the name of God and Jesus Christ? undecided

If your definition of that which is right is outside of God, and Jesus Christ, why do you append God's name to all of it? undecided

4. God didn't command your fasting(starvation diet) and abstinence either. The kind of fasting He commands is nothing close to that which you all indulge in. See Isaiah 58 to learn what God instead wants from you. undecided

You first need to educate yourself on what scripture actually says in order to educate others. undecided
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by BigDawsNet: 3:57pm On Mar 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
God's grace does no such thing. Maybe the grace you obtain from following your Pastors and mogs maybe, but not God's grace.. undecided

Not sure if i understand what you trying to say

Cant figure it out... are you agnostic or atheist? just asking..dont be offended
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by Kfed4ril(m): 3:59pm On Mar 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
It is nonsense!

1. What meaning is there in glorifying God's curse on mankind, the consequence of Adam's sin against God, the very curse God sent Jesus Christ to redeem men from?. undecided

2. If God calls men to repentance - a changing from following of the Old Way to the New Way, and eternal life instead of perishing in the grave, why ceremonies that depict man returning to dust from which he was made? What is that nonsense for if not an insult meant to God?. undecided

How does reminding someone to lead a life that glories God be an insult to the God?
How do we attain the eternal life you talk about?
The eternal life is not of flesh, so the Ash Wednesday aims to remind us.
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by ANTIlSLAM(m): 4:04pm On Mar 03, 2022
Felimax:

Oh my God! This is catastrophic!

Really
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by Kobojunkie: 4:08pm On Mar 03, 2022
Kfed4ril:
1. How does reminding someone to lead a life that glories God be an insult to the God?
2. How do we attain the eternal life you talk about?
The eternal life is not of flesh, so the Ash Wednesday aims to remind us.
1. The only reminder God said you should give those in the world is in teaching them the Gospel - God's New Covenant Law in the Kingdom of God - for them to obey it. Nothing else can lead to a life that glorifies God except obedience of God's commandments. undecided

So when you instead glorify God's curse against sin instead of doing that which God has in fact commanded, you insult God. undecided

2. Eternal life belongs to all those who believe in Jesus Christ - born again and have eaten of His flesh and drunken of His blood - John 3 vs 1 - 21 & John 6 vs 42 - 57 undecided

Your Ash celebrations have nothing to do with any of that. undecided
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by Kobojunkie: 4:10pm On Mar 03, 2022
BigDawsNet:
Not sure if i understand what you trying to say
Cant figure it out... are you agnostic or atheist? just asking..dont be offended
What I stated is clear.. God's grace does no such thing as you claim. Maybe the grace you obtain from following your Pastors and mogs maybe, but not God's grace.. undecided
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by BigDawsNet: 4:21pm On Mar 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
What I stated is clear.. God's grace does no such thing as you claim. Maybe the grace you obtain from following your Pastors and mogs maybe, but not God's grace.. undecided

Are you saying this particular grace ain't from God? The question how do you identify a grace from God and Non god ?
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by Kobojunkie: 4:24pm On Mar 03, 2022
BigDawsNet:
Are you saying this particular grace ain't from God? The question how do you identify a grace from God and Non god ?
God's grace refers to God's eternal life which is given to us through Jesus Christ. And it promises nothing of what you claim - God's grace has no promises to give anyone. undecided

The ideas of grace sold you by your Pastors and mogs are simply that....ideas that have no beginning or end in God and Jesus Christ. If it is not of God, it is simply not of God. undecided
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by ikorodureporta: 5:05pm On Mar 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
The pope commands you. Interesting! undecided
Yes.. as the leader..
Abi Adeboye no dey call for fasting
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by Kobojunkie: 5:06pm On Mar 03, 2022
ikorodureporta:

Yes.. as the leader..
Abi Adeboye no dey call for fasting
I answer to no man.... not your pope or your adeboye... Jesus Christ is my one and only Master/Leader this since Jesus Christ made it know to all His followers that you can only serve one master in the Kingdom of God. So I chose Him and only Him. undecided
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by BigDawsNet: 5:18pm On Mar 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
God's grace refers to God's eternal life which is given to us through Jesus Christ. And it promises nothing of what you claim - God's grace has no promises to give anyone. undecided

The ideas of grace sold you by your Pastors and mogs are simply that....ideas that have no beginning or end in God and Jesus Christ. If it is not of God, it is simply not of God. undecided

Everlasting life It means "forever". It means when life ends here, it continues somewhere else

Eternal life is a free gift, offered only through Jesus Christ Obliviously

Agreed!!

But we definitely need some grace to keep us active and outstanding beyond other humans like us here on earth while we are still alive... are you saying those grace we received right now... which are working for us presently are from pastors? and not from Jesus Christ the son of GOD...
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by Kobojunkie: 5:24pm On Mar 03, 2022
BigDawsNet:
Everlasting life It means "forever". It means when life ends here, it continues somewhere else

Eternal life is a free gift, offered only through Jesus Christ Obliviously

Agreed!!

But we definitely need some grace to keep us active and outstanding beyond other humans like us here on earth while we are still alive... are you saying those grace we received right now... which are working for us presently are from pastors? and not from Jesus Christ the son of GOD...
What you describe in bold is of the imaginations of men snd not of God. undecided

Jesus Christ was sent to give men two things... Eternal Life or God's Grace, and Truth or God's New Covenant Law for living in the Kingdom of God with Jesus Christ being the Old way to reach God. undecided

So, yes, whatever it is you claim has absolutely nothing to do with God's Eternal life but is of the minds of your Pastors and mogs to you. Read through the Gospels to learn what Jesus Christ offers you apart from what the doctrines and traditions of your Pastors and mogs. undecided
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by BigDawsNet: 5:43pm On Mar 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
What you describe in bold is of the imaginations of men snd not of God. undecided

Jesus Christ was sent to give men two things... Eternal Life or God's Grace, and Truth or God's New Covenant Law for living in the Kingdom of God with Jesus Christ being the Old way to reach God. undecided

So, yes, whatever it is you claim has absolutely nothing to do with God's Eternal life but is of the minds of your Pastors and mogs to you. Read through the Gospels to learn what Jesus Christ offers you apart from what the doctrines and traditions of your Pastors and mogs. undecided

Like I said earlier... I agree!! About Eternal life and Gods grace...which is what God does because he is gracious. Every action of God toward us involves his grace. His creation, his providence, his conviction of the sinner, his gift of salvation, his equipping of the saints, and the future he has prepared for us. All of this is due to God's grace. ..

It will be silly for a Christian to think we received all this from men of God...(pastors and co...)

That's why I'm not arguing with you..
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by Kobojunkie: 5:52pm On Mar 03, 2022
BigDawsNet:
1. Like I said earlier... I agree!! About Eternal life and Gods grace...which is what God does because he is gracious.

2. Every action of God toward us involves his grace.

3. His creation, his providence, his conviction of the sinner, his gift of salvation, his equipping of the saints, and the future he has prepared for us. All of this is due to God's grace. ..

4. It will be silly for a Christian to think we received all this from men of God...(pastors and co...)

That's why I'm not arguing with you..

1. Again, God's grace to men through Jesus Christ is the Eternal life we receive when we believe in Jesus Christ. undecided

2. Every action of God towards men does not involve His grace this since God's grace through Jesus Christ does not apply to all men. undecided

3. Again, Wrong! God's grace through Jesus Christ was not available to men from creation. Even Adam did not have God's grace through Jesus Christ, this since he was not created with eternal life ___ and Adam did not eat of the the tree of Life(eternal) - Genesis 3 vs 20 -22.

4. That which you claim is instead of the doctrines and traditions of men(and their churches) lies which have nothing to do with God or Jesus Christ. undecided
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by BigDawsNet: 6:05pm On Mar 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. Again, God's grace to men through Jesus Christ is the Eternal life we receive when we believe in Jesus Christ. undecided

2. Every action of God towards men does not involve His grace this since God's grace through Jesus Christ does not apply to all men. undecided

3. Again, Wrong! God's grace through Jesus Christ was not available to men from creation. Even Adam did not have God's grace through Jesus Christ, this since he was not created with eternal life ___ and Adam did not eat of the the tree of Life(eternal) - Genesis 3 vs 20 -22.

4. That which you claim is instead of the doctrines and traditions of men(and their churches) lies which have nothing to do with God or Jesus Christ. undecided

Oh, doctrines and traditions of men and their Churches...
Okay okay okay... that's perfect... lipsrsealed

So you yet to respond to my question
are you christian, agnostic or atheist?
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by Kobojunkie: 6:16pm On Mar 03, 2022
BigDawsNet:
Oh, doctrines and traditions of men and their Churches...
Okay okay okay... that's perfect... lipsrsealed

So you yet to respond to my question
are you christian, agnostic or atheist?
What do you think? undecided
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by BigDawsNet: 6:19pm On Mar 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
What do you think? undecided

I'm pretty sure you ain't Atheist

So probably the other... lipsrsealed

I kinda like people like you...

You wanna tell me about yourself?
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by Kobojunkie: 6:28pm On Mar 03, 2022
BigDawsNet:

I'm pretty sure you ain't Atheist
So probably the other... lipsrsealed
I kinda like people like you...
You wanna tell me about yourself?
So tell me, how could I then be confused as one who is agnostic? undecided
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by BigDawsNet: 6:37pm On Mar 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
So tell me, how could I then be confused as one who is agnostic? undecided

I don't know lipsrsealed We christians have same knowledge and understanding about the word of God and the faith tradition that focuses on the figure of Jesus Christ....

When I meet people like you... I kinda like to know more about where you people stand in Christianity beliefs...

So can I get to know or learn about you...
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday by Kobojunkie: 6:51pm On Mar 03, 2022
BigDawsNet:
I don't know lipsrsealed
1. We christians have same knowledge and understanding about the word of God and the faith tradition that focuses on the figure of Jesus Christ....

2. When I meet people like you... I kinda like to know more about where you people stand in Christianity beliefs...

So can I get to know or learn about you...
1. You don't really believe what you claim in bold there to be the case, do you? undecided

2. I stand with Jesus Christ as far as His teachings and commandments. He is after all God's New Covenant Law and Truth In the Kingdom of God we are meant to live every moment of our lives by. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Creepy And Terrifying Photos Of Ghosts Caught On Camera / Hello Heathens! / Question To Pastor Chris On The Relevance Of Tithing In Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.