Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,746 members, 7,817,057 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:00 AM

What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position (10386 Views)

Work Hard Or Smart? What's Your Opinion? / Start Uber/Bolt As A Side Hustle Or Get A Piece Of Land : Your Opinion Please / What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by KOPArespect: 1:59pm On Mar 02, 2022
Good afternoon nairalanders, I will try to be brief.

I graduated 2018 as a 25 years old boy, went for service in 2019 and started working at a private secondary school as a teacher. The pay was poor and i began job hunting with about 30 different CV's for different job positions.

To cut the long story short, I got an interview invite for a managerial position in a hotel that I have no idea of. A week to the interview date, I did my homework and research about the job details, prepared for the interview and I pass... Ever since, I have been doing well.

The only challenge i have is the manner at which people get sacked at my place of work. As a matter of fact, myself and 2 other line managers are the remaining one out of about 13 of us employed in July 2020 and the fear of being sacked has made me to keep on with my job hunting game.

Now I am 29, with a slim stature and a childish/female-like voice. With the power of my CV, I have been invited for interview by the 2 best international brand of my industry Marriott and Hilton, but the moment I show up, the first thing I use to hear is are you sure you are Mr ****, then after the whole interview,they will be like; 'you are good but still small' cry

Now I am depressed and I have been trying to hit the gym to see if there can be a change in my size.

My question is; what has age got to do with leadership, potentials and capability? And what will you advise?

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by ajailer(m): 2:44pm On Mar 02, 2022
Shey dat Na y u dey go gym up. Bro better chill for ursef. Lent just start.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by chigoziri2403(m): 2:20pm On Mar 03, 2022
What I will advise is for you to proritise your life

You seek advice for age related responsibilities and you are attaching a half naked gym pic.

Which is your priority?

Those that interviewed you probably told you the truth " you are good but still small"

And it's true

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by ShenTeh(m): 2:20pm On Mar 03, 2022
Ahah your story is further from the topic. I came to answer for the topic.

Age counts. But not much.

Same way we are all saying some people are too old for some political positions is the same employers feel. You can also reverse for younger ages.

I love young leaders but trust me, I don't want an under-30 year old Nigerian president today.

There's an hypothesis about age, pastural history and modern learning that may counter my opinion, but for me, age matters.

Again, my response is to the topic, not the post.

6 Likes

Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by Abboki: 2:21pm On Mar 03, 2022
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by Calibrator: 2:21pm On Mar 03, 2022
It is not enough to qualify, you gotta look the part.
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by Ekakamba: 2:22pm On Mar 03, 2022
I empathize with you OP.

Irrespective of how your physique is or how your voice sounds, the power in your CV should be the bone of contention.

Be forking BOLD!

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by Omotosho1090905(m): 2:22pm On Mar 03, 2022
If them no employ you establish yourself, Nigeria is the perfect example of the sky been too big for every bird to fly

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by DoggoneDogg: 2:24pm On Mar 03, 2022
Get a scar
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by NaijaGoBetter20: 2:25pm On Mar 03, 2022
For hotel work, I think body structure is one of the requirements for a managerial position, some customer won't respect you if you are not macho or look older than them.

But I don't think gym can change your feminist voice.
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by Imstrong2(m): 2:26pm On Mar 03, 2022
Age boost your confidence, expectedly, should come with wisdom,focus stability to handle leadership position
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by phemmyfour: 2:27pm On Mar 03, 2022
KOPArespect:
Good afternoon nairalanders, I will try to be brief.

I graduated 2018 as a 25 years old boy, went for service in 2019 and started working at a private secondary school as a teacher. The pay was poor and i began job hunting with about 30 different CV's for different job positions.

To cut the long story short, I got an interview invite for a managerial position in a hotel that I have no idea of. A week to the interview date, I did my homework and research about the job details, prepared for the interview and I pass... Ever since, I have been doing well.

The only challenge i have is the manner at which people get sacked at my place of work. As a matter of fact, myself and 2 other line managers are the remaining one out of about 13 of us employed in July 2020 and the fear of being sacked has made me to keep on with my job hunting game.

Now I am 29, with a slim stature and a childish/female-like voice. With the power of my CV, I have been invited for interview by the 2 best international brand of my industry Marriott and Hilton, but the moment I show up, the first thing I use to hear is are you sure you are Mr ****, then after the whole interview,they will be like; 'you are good but still small' cry

Now I am depressed and I have been trying to hit the gym to see if there can be a change in my size.

My question is; what has age got to do with leadership, potentials and capability? And what will you advise?
It's not your age but size that they have issues with

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by minasu190: 2:28pm On Mar 03, 2022
How old was david when he killed goliath?bro keep your trust in God,age or stature does not matter,just accept it is not yet your appointed time..GOE

5 Likes

Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by Lattop1(m): 2:29pm On Mar 03, 2022
Age is nothing but a number, don't change ur stature cos it does not add to ur sge
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by NaughtyBrainiac: 2:34pm On Mar 03, 2022
This post is a serious post but I started laughing when I almost got to the end grin
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by dfrost: 2:40pm On Mar 03, 2022
You are allowing people's opinions get to you? Like seriously?
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by Richy4(m): 2:48pm On Mar 03, 2022
sad sad embarassed sad angry
Wow!!Then those that interviewed you are immature as well if physical appearance was their yardstick for employing candidate....

Look OP, have you considered the fact that u are doing something great, that is why u have not been sacked? Why are you over stressing yourself about your job security?... Just for your information, there's no job security anywhere...u might just jump from frying Pan to fire

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by Arabaincubus: 2:50pm On Mar 03, 2022
Presence of any sort matters in leadership. You need to groom something about you that will be unique. Some people have these naturally, others acquire them. The important thing is that you are conscious of it which will cause your mind and body to have a meeting point.

You will overcome. Good luck!

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by WhizdomXX(m): 2:51pm On Mar 03, 2022
Okay. Reading through
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by Splitmind: 2:51pm On Mar 03, 2022
Youths of today are too irresponsible, only older people should be given manger positions.
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by gerizzim: 2:55pm On Mar 03, 2022
Your concerns as you claim:
VOICE

All diz are not rilly the issue. Your mind is what you need to wrk on. In summary, you have a low self esteem.

What you need to do specifically.
1. build your confidence level
2. work on ur gait(how you carry ursef wen you walk)
3. take the focus off yoursef. dnt be conscious of how u look or sound.
4. when pple tease you,dnt allow it bother you.
5.be very assertive and audacious when it's necessary.

Even wit dt ur small voice, if ur very articulate and eloquent,pple will want to listen when u communicate.

me writing you actually have a small body frame but na my gait I dey use dey make up. I have pple under me I supervise at workplace.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

NDLEA and FRSC Recruitment / I Am In A State Of Confusion. Help With Your Advice. / Study In Nigeria Or Travel To Asia To Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.