Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,200 members, 7,815,187 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months (26258 Views)

ASUU To Hold Emergency Meeting On Thursday. Strike To Be Likely Called Off / ASUU Agrees To Call Off Strike, To Receive N70bn / ASUU Vows To Pursue Ongoing Strike To Logical Conclusion. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by Miracle2022: 1:20pm On Mar 14, 2022
MrCover:

Source: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/03/breaking-ASUU-extends-strike-for-2-months/amp/
if iam the president they stay at home till 2023. This ASSU can't do without strike, they are inconsiderate. The lecturers children are in private universities that is why they always want to go to strike at any small matter.
Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by Achico: 1:21pm On Mar 14, 2022
Wahali!!! Make we sell dis kwontree make airbribody kwolete dia share, go start afresh some wia
Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by Medianna(f): 1:22pm On Mar 14, 2022
Nfora:

He probably knows more than you.

ASUU is a union of academic staff, therefore have no business forcing government to use a particular payroll system or spend particularly amount of money to fund universities.

Their core mandate is the welfare of their members.

Of course they know their right that's why they are challenging the authority unlike polysand FCEs.

I'm also aware that that's not the only reason they are going on strike.
Minimum wages arrears not yet settled
They are still fighting for allowance that was supposed to be settled more than a decade ago.
Promises upon promises

The promises that was made by Ngige to settle them by October or November last year was has not come to pass..
So IPPIS is even the least of their concern.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by Emerie22(m): 1:25pm On Mar 14, 2022
doctore212:
I have made up my mind to start Olosho business. How many years I go dey school.

Atleast if the olosho work go pay me well , I fit carry the money open saloon .

My kpekus still dey game abeg.

ASUU can't frustrate me

You are a man and a man per dm3
Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by Medianna(f): 1:26pm On Mar 14, 2022
BabaO2:
what is the cause? They can't be holding our future to ransome every year, it is not brainy, same problem every year without solution. Government should weed them off, take away the staff quarters from them. Inordinate appetite everywhere in Nigeria. If it is infrastructural deficit, let the students engage the government.

Lolzz

You did not notice that govt are not making noise about it or stopping their salary cuz they understand better who is at fault yeah!

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by backnbeta(f): 1:29pm On Mar 14, 2022
BabaO2:
What is the problem with this ASUU sef? If it is inordinate appetite and ambition to be earning salaries like oil companies staffers or politicians, government should get rid of them, they are not indispensable.. They can't be truncating our youths future every year, they aspired to be university lecturers by choice not because they were the best graduates of their time.
If it is sincerely funding of universities is the issue, what are the likes of dangote, otedola, adenuga, rabiu, senatots etc doing? They should help and solve the problem once and for all rather than doing unproductive showoff at occasions
Now the blame is on ASUU abi? Aspiring to be a lecturer by choice doesn't mean aspiring to suffer!

While I pity the students, I think this government has openly shown they don't care about education at all. They have decided not to negotiate with ASUU because their children are not affected. Research work is on lecturers, conferences are hardly sponsored, classrooms are often overcrowded and dimly lit, students are as uncomfortable as the lecturer! Join ASUU in this struggle sir

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by Nfora: 1:30pm On Mar 14, 2022
BabaO2:
what is the cause? They can't be holding our future to ransome every year, it is not brainy, same problem every year without solution. Government should weed them off, take away the staff quarters from them. Inordinate appetite everywhere in Nigeria. If it is infrastructural deficit, let the students engage the government.

Good.

I ask again, why should academic staff union go on strike because of infrastructural decay and the type of payroll system used by government, their employer?

Only an insane person would not appreciate the reasons why the problem persists for almost a century.

The main reason is that ASUU keep on mischievously adding issues that are not their core mandate,to the issues of staff welfare which is their core mandate.They now use strike to force government sign very stupid agreements.

Is it the mandate of an academic union to determine that Ntrillion is needed to fund Nigerian universities? Or a particular payroll system must be used?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by BluntTheApostle(m): 1:31pm On Mar 14, 2022
plenaldo:
This is so unfair to the young students. Some will eventually not qualify for NYSC because of this. They can organize beauty pageant in the prisons and can't pay lecturers. Too bad

Missing NYSC is irrelevant.

You did not even talk that some may lose interest, and move on to things that can jeopardize their future like armed robbery, yahoo yahoo, etc.

The longer a person stays out of school, the more they are likely to become disillusioned with it.
Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by MAIKON: 1:31pm On Mar 14, 2022
This country sef nah wahala on is on!.
Imagine I got admission in 2017 till now I'm yet to graduate wtf� everything just dey like rollercoaster...
Abeg I'm new on here I like the vibes and energy of you people on nairaland that's why I got my account open.
Please if there's any body that God can use favor me to help me secure any type of job (LEGAL) at Lagos should help me ooo. I don't want to waste this period of strike at home.
God bless everyone!!!
Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by ofiko123(m): 1:38pm On Mar 14, 2022
May God deliver us all..
Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by BabaO2: 1:39pm On Mar 14, 2022
Medianna:

Lolzz

You did not notice that govt are not making noise about it or stopping their salary cuz they understand better who is at fault yeah!
Public should be wiser than those in government by taking a strong stand on both ASUU and government, most of the people doing the negotiations on government side are private university owners, most of the ASUU members are consultants/part-time lecturers at private universities and collecting salaries from both government and private universities, they both don't want the issue resolved, both ASUU and people in government are sending their own children to schools abroad, this is unfair, ASUU should resign if they are not satisfied, tje issue is taking forever
Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by plenaldo: 1:39pm On Mar 14, 2022
BluntTheApostle:

Missing NYSC is irrelevant.

You did not even talk that some may lose interest, and move on to things that can jeopardize their future like armed robbery, yahoo yahoo, etc.

The longer a person stays out of school, the more they are likely to become disillusioned with it.
True talk bro. I believe you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by od501: 1:40pm On Mar 14, 2022
gambia:
Its well with this country. undecided

You and I know that's not true. It shall never be well with this country. This country have spilled so much innocent blood. God knows it will never be well with this country.
Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by adeoyekay(m): 1:41pm On Mar 14, 2022
iLegendd:
University should be permanently closed in Nigeria. We are okay with nursery, primary, and secondary.
What about those who work in Universites.
Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by Nfora: 1:43pm On Mar 14, 2022
Medianna:

Of course they know their right that's why they are challenging the authority unlike polysand FCEs.

I'm also aware that that's not the only reason they are going on strike.
Minimum wage not yet settled
They are still fighting for allowance that was supposed to be settled more than a decade ago.
Promises upon promises

The promises that was made by Ngige to settle them by October or November last year was has not come to pass.. 2
So IPPIS is even the least of their concern.

They should focus on these and let us know it is because of salaries and allowances.

They should stop deceiving the public and insisting that certain amount of money (Ntrillion) must be given to fund universities.

The ASUU president categorically stated that without giving out the Ntrillion,plus other signed agreements,they are not going back to work.

They should stop mixing other issues that is not their core mandate,with what really concerns them and forcing government to sign very stupid agreements.

How do you expect govt to sign agreements signed under duress and expect the government to honour the same agreement

Only a stupid government will not sign any stupid agreement that will make students go back to school after a long period.

That is why ASUU will continue to go on strike.
Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by Bigchristo: 1:44pm On Mar 14, 2022
MrCover:

Source: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/03/breaking-ASUU-extends-strike-for-2-months/amp/
this is an opportunity for every student to start learning skills. Don’t allow ASUU and FG to waste your time they’re not serious in meeting ASUU demands because our politicians children usually travel abroad for studies also most of those occupying various offices right now came with Oluyole certificates so don’t expect them to Value education
Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by iLegendd(m): 1:45pm On Mar 14, 2022
adeoyekay:
What about those who work in Universites.
Are they not the ones that love strike? At least, let the government give them what they want — permanent strike.

I already know what you're going to say.
Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by ufotunang: 1:47pm On Mar 14, 2022
doctore212:
I have made up my mind to start Olosho business. How many years I go dey school.

ASUU can't frustrate me
.... nawaoooo olosho bussiness....see what Buhari has caused
Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by BabaO2: 1:49pm On Mar 14, 2022
backnbeta:

Now the blame is on ASUU abi? Aspiring to be a lecturer by choice doesn't mean aspiring to suffer!

While I pity the students, I think this government has openly shown they don't care about education at all. They have decided not to negotiate with ASUU because their children are not affected. Research work is on lecturers, conferences are hardly sponsored, classrooms are often overcrowded and dimly lit, students are as uncomfortable as the lecturer! Join ASUU in this struggle sir
ASUU are deceptive, they dont want any issue to be resolved because nearly all of the are consultants/part time lecturers at private universities, they are earning multiple salaries in a month apart from the government salary on the job they didn't do. If it is infrastructural decadence or deficit, let the students fight the battle, their parents will step in too in support, in no time it will be addressed. ASUU are mischievous.
Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by Medianna(f): 1:50pm On Mar 14, 2022
BabaO2:

Public should be wiser than those in government by taking a strong stand on both ASUU and government, most of the people doing the negotiations on government side are private university owners, most of the ASUU members are consultants/part-time lecturers at private universities and collecting salaries from both government and private universities, they both don't want the issue resolved, both ASUU and people in government are sending their own children to schools abroad, this is unfair, ASUU should resign if they are not satisfied, tje issue is taking forever

You're still blaming ASUU and that's where am not comfortable,
Where will an average academic staff see fund to send his child to private uni?
Its govt officials that does that.
And the reason ASUU is always in the fight is because of the strength of the Union, if not all tertiary institutions would have gone on strike by now.
Where was the public when ASUU was threatening strike since.!

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by ufotunang: 1:51pm On Mar 14, 2022
If government officials and politicians children do not school in govenment universities but keep on going to abroad to school in foreign universities....this problems about ASUU cannot be solved...it's s pity.....the government just care for themselves and their families and children but do not care for the common man

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by matm: 1:54pm On Mar 14, 2022
ASUU is not the only teachers' organisation in Nigeria.
There is NUT for secondary schools and primary schools.Their teachers suffer much.They are neglected,paid peanuts like 30k a month,not given their promotion as and when due, no promotion arrears payment even though they offer more services.
Do you know what it takes to teach people who can't read at all nor write, as well as people who can't express themselves in English correctly.Thats what Secondary and primary school teachers do with meager pay.
But in the University, every student is assumed to be an adult learner who can read, write and do research on their own, thus lesser work for lecturers who leverage on the efforts of teachers at the lower levels without which there will be no higher levels.
But ASUU fight for their selfish interest even when they are not owed any salary.
The lecturers parade themselves as if they are the only teachers' in the lives of students and make humongous claims even with their humongous salaries.
It's time students become wiser and stop pitying ASUU.
I can only pity them if they are beign owed their monthly salaries.
For neglect, Secondary and Primary schools are equally beign neglected
If they must fight, all the teachers must be carried along or else, they are only fighting for their pockets and not really for students interest

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by BabaO2: 1:55pm On Mar 14, 2022
Medianna:

You're still blaming ASUU and that's where am not comfortable,
Where will an average academic staff see fund to send his child to private uni?
Its govt officials that does that.
And the reason ASUU is always in the fight is because of the strength of the Union, if not all tertiary institutions would have gone on strike by now.
Where was the public when ASUU was threatening strike since.!
That is the deception, academic staff of today are rich, i just told you they are lecturing in 2-5 private universities at a time, they dont want the issue to be resolved so that they can have time to make more money. Most of tjem are consultants too
Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by tnerro1(m): 1:55pm On Mar 14, 2022
I hate ASUU with a passion
Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by Nfora: 1:58pm On Mar 14, 2022
backnbeta:

Is it the mandate of ASUU,an academic union,employees of govt,to
determine how much is needed to fix the universities and the type of payroll to use?

Rubbish.

The earlier ASUU concentrate on their core mandate of staff welfare,the better for the university system.

If ASUU is going on strike because they need 1000% increase in salary plus other welfare packages,like what you mentioned,that would be very much in order.
Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by yomibrain: 1:58pm On Mar 14, 2022
This bullshit may hunt you in the nearest future...

doctore212:

ASUU can't frustrate me
Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by anettcom: 2:01pm On Mar 14, 2022
Are you currently staying home due to the ASUU strike and you think of learning a skill in Tech?

We offer personalized one-on-one Trainings that deliver quick and sustainable results.

Our Masterclass Training Classes offer an opportunity to learn a Graphic Design, Website Development, Software Development, Mobile Application Development, CCTV Installation and Networking, without any technical knowledge!

Our trainings are Intensive and hence Perfect for Beginners.

Enrol now for our any of these Classes at Suite 1, Grace Cooking Gas, Omo-bolanle, Osogbo.
Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by Househelp(m): 2:01pm On Mar 14, 2022
doctore212:

ASUU can't frustrate me
where are you at right now
Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by Medianna(f): 2:03pm On Mar 14, 2022
Nfora:

They should focus on these and let us know it is because of salaries and allowances.

They should stop deceiving the public and insisting that certain amount of money (Ntrillion) must be given to fund universities.

The ASUU president categorically stated that without giving out the Ntrillion,plus other signed agreements,they are not going back to work.

They should stop mixing other issues that is not their core mandate,with what really concerns them and forcing government to sign very stupid agreements.

How do you expect govt to sign agreements signed under duress and expect the government to honour the same agreement

Only a stupid government will not sign any stupid agreement that will make students go back to school after a long period.

That is why ASUU will continue to go on strike.

ASUU and govt be like cat and dog.
Let the govt decide on which one is ASUU's right and which one is not when it comes to infrastructures.

Do you know that sometimes lectures gets cancel because there is no venue?
And you say its not ASUU's right
Even if there's venue students will be like sardines inside lecture halls
Do you know that staff quarters looks like 1950's building?
And you say ASUU should keep quiet
Do you know that as A lecturer they want to be practical and no tools
And you say ASUU should resign.
No wonder some lecturers the hand out they are using 10 years ago.that's what the are still using to lecture students till date

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by Typicool8(m): 2:03pm On Mar 14, 2022
Forgodsgrace:
If you are one of the affected undergraduate and not from rich family,it’s better you go learn work ,trade or any viable skill for now and forget about this junkies.
As it’s stands now,Nigeria university is not for the poor except you want to waste your destiny.
Go learn work or any skill
Sir Abeg if there's any job for me I'd really be appreciative as I've got nothing doing for now
Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by vivaciousvivi(f): 2:06pm On Mar 14, 2022
And like a joke, some undergrads are going to spend 6yrs in school for a 4year course unrelated to carry overs. First Covid, and now this.
Na wa!
Re: ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months by steampal: 2:07pm On Mar 14, 2022
You can use this opportunity to get or improve your I.T skill.

You can use this skill to make money when you go back to school or even after graduating.

Learn either Front-End Development, Graphics Design or Python Programming intensively and Hands-on in 4 weeks Online.

If you are in Kano or Minna, You can come learn in our offices.

It cost only 10,000 naira.

Visit the below for more:

https://steamledge.com/steampal/#ASUU

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dominican University, Ibadan Pro Chancellor, Peter Obi At Convocation Ceremony / The Types Of Exams We Need For Schools And Academic Institutions In Nigeria / Islamic Senior High School Students Dancing & Having Fun In Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.