Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,703 members, 7,831,197 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge (66965 Views)

Tunji-Ojo Test Runs E-Gates At Abuja Airport (Photos) / FG Returns Toll Gates On Federal Roads / Buhari's Daughter, Zahra Meets With Bill Gates At UN General Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by Chidywhite: 11:30am On Mar 15, 2022
This act by buhari led government is condemnable.

4 Likes

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by ednut1(m): 11:31am On Mar 15, 2022
AbijaJ:

No mind them. The newly built Federal multi-lane highway in Ogun state (when you enter from Epe) also has Toll gates o, nobody fight am because it's part of the provision put in place to ensure that the road is well maintained in future. Nigerians want world class infrastructure but don't want to pay for it.
https://www.thecable.ng/emefiele-fg-to-toll-lagos-ibadan-expressway-2nd-niger-bridge-to-repay-infrastructure-loans/amp cry babies

1 Like

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by Akonamasi: 11:32am On Mar 15, 2022
Taiggarr:

HATE must kill.your type..

USELESS VIPEROUS lowlife!

Your insults won't change anything.

1 Like

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by aribisala0(m): 11:32am On Mar 15, 2022
ednut1:
https://www.thecable.ng/emefiele-fg-to-toll-lagos-ibadan-expressway-2nd-niger-bridge-to-repay-infrastructure-loans/amp some igbos and victim mentality sha
Any day they do not play victim is a bad day

In Nigeria's history where has a toll gate operated for the longest period? Yet we heard no conspiracy theories
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by kvin33: 11:33am On Mar 15, 2022
IGBO HATE, Nigeria's favorite hobby! See them enjoying themselves. Without the toll gate idea they would not have approved the project. It is OK, we will pay. What is new? The Lagos to Onitsha trip (not the other way around) has checkpoints currently, seemingly at every 10 miles which of course function as toll collection points. During festive seasons they increase to every 5 miles or so. Police, Army, Customs, Road Safety, VIO, MOPOL, SARS, everyone. I guess this will now add Min. of Finance. With all the "bandits" how many checkpoints alias toll gates are on abuja-kaduna or abuja-maiduguri? We build/pay for SE "federal Infrastructure", when the FG borrows to build elsewhere they forget about us. When it is time to pay, they deduct at source from our account -without shame. They should build all the roads in the east and toll them -WE WILL PAY! You think you are doing us, you are doing yaself! Lunatics, Everywhere!

6 Likes

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by lexy2014: 11:34am On Mar 15, 2022
BabalawoPikin:
Till then bruh.. The hate people got for igbos will calm when our darling BAT shows up.. Tinubu is comingm. Baba sharp sharp. Not that slowpoke in aso rock. Jagaban no be anybody mate

That's true. Can u give us a snippet about alpha beta?
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by Realist12: 11:36am On Mar 15, 2022
I wonder how a tolling the bridge is a big deal , where we have to be thankful the bridge will be in place and make life easier . Is there anyone using the bridge that won't buy fuel for his car ? So what's a #100 or #200 that will be taxed to maintain the bridge? We have to be progressive. If PPP will get projects done faster in Nigeria , we the masses we should embrace the system.

6 Likes

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by BabalawoPikin(m): 11:40am On Mar 15, 2022
lexy2014:

That's true. Can u give us a snippet about alpha beta?
nobody is a saint bruh.. Politics is business.. You give and take.. What's more important is making sure you deliver.. JAGABAN DELIVERED LAGOS!!!! he accommodated everyone. He's not a tribalist like most of y'all here on nairaland..
I personally will use my funds to print flyers and make people vote for a wonderful man like him..

Thankiu

1 Like

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by ednut1(m): 11:41am On Mar 15, 2022
aribisala0:
Any day they do not play victim is a bad day

In Nigeria's history where has a toll gate operated for the longest period? Yet we heard no conspiracy theories
they should keep weeping. Tilubu is to blame as usual

1 Like

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by Onepeople: 11:42am On Mar 15, 2022
They are using igbo elites to deceive the igboman, tell me, who among those that have continuously oppose Kanu criticism of this evil government, have find its worthy to criticise the tolling of this bridge, igboman is his own enemy, until we understand this, half of our problem will be solved.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by OFFICIAL336: 11:48am On Mar 15, 2022
Let them build the bridge first.

Toll gate na secondary

Onitsha no be Lagos
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by staga: 11:51am On Mar 15, 2022
There is nowhere in the world where road users do not pay tolls for the maintenance of their roads. Why is this such a problem in Nigeria?

Besides I see only one tolling point, but with as many as 12 toll gates to make sure as many cars as possible are attended to.

3 Likes

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by Shikena(m): 11:52am On Mar 15, 2022
Don't be fooled by this outcry about toll gate and the evil false claim that this only apply to the SE.

The real issue is the fact that a certain Muhammadu Buhari is the one finally actualizing this monumental project. Some evil narrow minded individuals have never been comfortable with this and were hoping the project won't get completed. They finally found something to latch on to water down this development, conveniently forgetting how successive governments have deceived everyone every blessed year about the project.

We are not fooled. Learn to celebrate and appreciate good things even if it wasn't done by Obi Cubana or Chinedu Somebodikwu, and feel free to condemn them when they do something bad.

For the real south-easterners and others with something meaningful to do with their lives, this road is appreciated. The tolling issue is secondary and definitely nothing new in Nigeria.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by AirFireEarthH20: 11:54am On Mar 15, 2022
BloomingDale:

If the bridge is in Delta state, Delta state youth should set it on fire. Case solved. Why insult us na?

No vex jare, this country just tire me. Are we not supposed to have a rail line linking Lagos-Benin-Warri-PH-Uyo-Calabar first before any body? Too much injustice.

2 Likes

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by Almaigaa: 11:54am On Mar 15, 2022
tollyboy5:

You post rubbish!

Cause the truth pain you grin

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by tollyboy5(m): 11:56am On Mar 15, 2022
Almaigaa:

Cause the truth pain you grin
grin keep consoling yourself
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by Almaigaa: 11:56am On Mar 15, 2022
PointZerom:

You mean your government is following the footsteps of touts?

Yes. Eastern Government grin

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by Almaigaa: 11:57am On Mar 15, 2022
Amojii:

This picture is at Ajangbadi ojo Lagos is called pako its a Norma thing I'm Lagos don't drag the East into it.

Na lie. That's Anambra State. They are all over the East.

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by Shikini: 11:57am On Mar 15, 2022
Useless tribalist president

3 Likes

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by Nobody: 11:58am On Mar 15, 2022
Having a tollgate there is not a bad idea. FG has spent a lot building it.

2 Likes

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by Perfectbeing(m): 11:59am On Mar 15, 2022
AirFireEarthH20:
I never knew there will be toll gate at the much dramatized bridge. Nigerian government collected loans to build rail to Niger Republic, a less important economic route, for free but these loans would be repaid by Nigeria. While the bridge that will connect those of us from Niger Delta and the Igbo people is going to be tolled? That toll gate will be burnt down... anytime they put it back again, it will be burnt again again. Useless people! I no blame Igbo people sha, na those of us in the Niger Delta wey no get sense. Smh
Will the train fare on the train to Niger be free? 2nd Niger bridge isn't going to be the only bridge/road to be tolled in the country

2 Likes

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by tinsel: 12:04pm On Mar 15, 2022
Must we make noise about every thing. There are two toll gates at lekki lagos. Do we call this igbo hatred also? The law of toll gate is there must be an alternative route. If you don't want to pay toll follow the alternative route. In this case the old bridge is the alternative route.
This bridge was designed to be tolled right from the day it was contemplated.

1 Like

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by illuminutty: 12:04pm On Mar 15, 2022
AirFireEarthH20:
I never knew there will be toll gate at the much dramatized bridge. Nigerian government collected loans to build rail to Niger Republic, a less important economic route, for free but these loans would be repaid by Nigeria. While the bridge that will connect those of us from Niger Delta and the Igbo people is going to be tolled? That toll gate will be burnt down... anytime they put it back again, it will be burnt again again. Useless people! I no blame Igbo people sha, na those of us in the Niger Delta wey no get sense. Smh

Some of you need to travel out of your holes to see things with open mind. There was toll collection at Lekki-Epe expressway before the ENDSARS wahala. Lagos-Badagry expressway will have nothing less than 3 toll branches upon completion and nobody in the South West is making noise. No country will survive with a system where everything is almost free. Provide me with a good road and toll it, I am fine by it as long as I get to my destination on time and my vehicle left in good condition. Tribal hatred is what will consume a lot of you bunch of buffoons who do not know life beyond your tiny holes in the creeks.

4 Likes

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by freesystem: 12:08pm On Mar 15, 2022
aribisala0:
What falsehood am I propagating?
Is it the case that tollgates are planned only for this project and not on any other Federal Road?

Pls show me any newly completed roads/bridges that is toll in the North?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by CoronaVirusPro: 12:09pm On Mar 15, 2022
[s]
Rugaria:
No nation built on nepotism and sectionalism archives her full potential. Infact most promising states around the globe have imploded in the past, under the enermous weight of their iniquitous history full of tribalism, favouritism and grand injustices. This is so, because for the people of any given country to come together and galvanize their collective abilities towards modernizing their state, there must exist a sense of nationalism, patriotism and a common purpose. This can't happen when it has become a government policy to marginalize, antagonize and deprive a certain section that contributes immensely towards the economic growth of the country, her fare share of national projects and recognitions..

A case in point here is the over dramatized Second Niger bridge. In the history of this eternally convulsing amalgam, no project has been so dramatized, so politicized and so unashamedly utilized as a political football by the close minded political class in Abuja, at the detriment of the welfare and greater economic activities in the South East and the South South regions. The drama started way back during the military era, when the aging bridge built by the then Eastern government in the 50s, started to show signs of wear and tear. This bridge was bombed during the Nigeria - Biafra war and was extensively damaged as a result of the endless skirmishes there. For a long time, the bridge has been the only shaky link between the former Eastern Nigeria and the rest of the country. With the economic activities going on in such wonderful places like Onitsha, Aba, Port Harcourt, Owerri and the rest, the enermous economic importance/impact of this bridge can not be over emphasized..

It's against this backdrop, that one is overwhelmingly alarmed at the disdain with which the federal government has carried on with this project over the years. Firstly, under Babangidas administration, a drawing of the bridge was made with plans for a rail crossing. But nothing happened as it rgards construction proper. Obasanjo came in and only laid the foundation stones few hours to his abdication of office in 2007, which was basically nothing but a taunt" to those who considered the bridge an essential project to them! The plan for the rail lines over the bridge was also shelved. Jonathan did start the project but suggested a partnership between the construction companies, the state government and the federal government as it regards the funding. Then came Buhari, whose administration saw the second Niger bridge as the most convenient project to use as a balancing act for his brazen but shameful display of bigotry and classic igbophobia.

The bridge will now have almost a dozen Toll Gates!! This will be the first and only project built under any administration since the coming of civilian rule in 1999, that will demand that those using it will pay for all bills incurred during construction! Ofcourse, it's mainly the people of the South East. There are many projects in the North being handled as we speak, by the federal government that have bigger cost outlays when compared to the second Niger bridge but whose total cost are shouldered entirely by the federal government, even if it means borrowing! A good example is the nearly One trillion Naira Abuja - Zaria - Kano road. Infact, Nigeria has gone on to borrow billions of dollars to erect highways and railways and pipelines to Niger republic, another country! Nigerians as a people will collectively pay for these projects in another country, while the South Easterners, who are going to be the main users of The second Niger bridge, will pay through their noses for EVERY cent used to build that bridge!

"Fellow Nigerians", Is this fair??

Below is The Muhammadu Buhari Toll gates at the yet to be commissioned second Niger bridge:

[/s]

Nigerians be comparing advanced countries with Nigeria and still complain about tolls......

smh...

1 Like

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by lexy2014: 12:12pm On Mar 15, 2022
BabalawoPikin:
nobody is a saint bruh.. Politics is business.. You give and take.. What's more important is making sure you deliver.. JAGABAN DELIVERED LAGOS!!!! he accommodated everyone. He's not a tribalist like most of y'all here on nairaland..
I personally will use my funds to print flyers and make people vote for a wonderful man like him..

Thankiu

You haven't answered my question:

Can u give us a snippet about alpha beta?
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by IfnobeGod20: 12:14pm On Mar 15, 2022
AirFireEarthH20:
Would train not ply the rail built. Would the train fare be free also. So far train will ply the rail, the rail is tolled indirectly. No government built rail without the corresponding train on it where money used to built it would be generated.
You have no point, next.

4 Likes

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by BabalawoPikin(m): 12:18pm On Mar 15, 2022
lexy2014:

You haven't answered my question:

Can u give us a snippet about alpha beta?
wait till 2023.. I will reply you grin
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by lexy2014: 12:18pm On Mar 15, 2022
illuminutty:

Some of you need to travel out of your holes to see things with open mind. There was toll collection at Lekki-Epe expressway before the ENDSARS wahala. Lagos-Badagry expressway will have nothing less than 3 toll branches upon completion and nobody in the South West is making noise. No country will survive with a system where everything is almost free. Provide me with a good road and toll it, I am fine by it as long as I get to my destination on time and my vehicle left in good condition. Tribal hatred is what will consume a lot of you bunch of buffoons who do not know life beyond your tiny holes in the creeks.

You are right:
"No country will survive with a system where everything is almost free.".
Are things free for the politicians and those in power? Is it buhari that pays for the fuel that powers the plane that flew him to London? Is it from his pocket that he pays his medical bills in London? If that is the case, why do you feel it's wrong for the citizens to want freebies?

3 Likes

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by emmykk(m): 12:20pm On Mar 15, 2022
AirFireEarthH20:

The trains are not free they rake in about 300 million monthly also the bridge in questions will be use to raise money too to pay for the cost of building them.
These project are Capita intensive and govt may have partner with creditors to get it done.
What you should or will canvas for is that the fee should not be much.
Would you rather prefer the bridge not constructed than to be paying toll on constructed one.

The collection will fall on future govt which could be PDP or APC so don't play politics with the bridge

Nigerians find too much excuses to heap blame.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Police Shoot At Shiite Protesters (Graphics Photo) / Nigerian Soldiers Show Off The Giant Snake They Caught (Photos) / CCT: Court Orders Saraki's Arrest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.