Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,663 members, 7,816,699 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:36 PM

No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. (6271 Views)

$533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI / The Worst Performing Minister In GEJ's Cabinet / The Best Performing Minister In GEJ's Cabinet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by Tarzan2009: 8:51am On Jul 04, 2011
Thanks for your comment. I read all through the trend hoping that someone intelligent will raise the point you raised. What qualifies one to be called an engineer? My understanding is that you must have an undergraduate degree in engineering, not masters or Phd. Master's and phd are insignificant in being an engineer. I am pretty familiar with U.S qualification to become a professional engineer. You must have an undergraduate degree in engineering, not science(physics as did Prof. Nnaji), take the fundamentals of engineering exam(statics, dynamics, fluid mechanics,e.t.c; these are pure engineering courses, don't know how you can pass this if you studied physics, is it funny? Hope this makes some sense guys) and also, the ethics exam which can be taken later after graduation. But, the fundamentals of engineering exam must be taken prior to your graduation in your undergraduate. Those who made this law are not silly. They need you to have a solid background on statics, dynamics, fluid mechanics, strength of materials, and calculus. A physicist/chemist has no clue of the engineering principles required to become an engineer.

This stupidity has being going on for a while now. I bet you all know the GMD of NNPC, this guy is a chemist by profession, and has been addressed as an engineer by most nigeria newspapers. It took the Genius of the NSE to call him to order and stopped him from using that title. Initially he said he didn't ask anyone to address him as an engineer, but why in the hell would you keep mute and not clarify it with the media if you have no interest or deriving joy from using it.

My two cents is, Prof. Barth Nnaji is not a an Engineer based on my aforementioned comment/facts. And the Nigeria Society of Engineer, as legitimate organization has done its research on Prof. Nnaji engineering background and minced no word labeling him as a non-engineer.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by sayso: 8:59am On Jul 04, 2011
just making their voices heard.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by Kalman(m): 9:00am On Jul 04, 2011
I have said it, and would always say it. This man called GEJ is Tactless and is getting on my Nerves. The big question i have asked myself is why did i get him in there?
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by AbbaDB(m): 10:30am On Jul 04, 2011
oh he make a great mistake, bc no engr no nation
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by dustydee: 10:49am On Jul 04, 2011
So when are you considered an engineer in NIGERIA? When:

1. You have only a BSc
2. You have an MS
3. You have a PhD?

Nnaji has
Bsc in physics
MSc in industrial engineering and operations research
PhD in industrial engineering and operations research
http://www.chronicle.pitt.edu/media/pcc030224/bart_nnaji.html

Does any of these degrees (or at least 2 of them) make him an engineer or not, by Nigerian standard?
none of these makes you an engineer. To be called an engineer, you must be registered with the appropriate engineering body in Nigeria.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by gregg2: 10:52am On Jul 04, 2011
NSE is just making noise. They don't neccessarily need to get
ministerial appointments to perform.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by cvibe: 11:57am On Jul 04, 2011
One would have expected square peg in square holes.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by candylips(m): 12:04pm On Jul 04, 2011
bunch of goons
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by HyeBits: 12:33pm On Jul 04, 2011
Prof. Nnaji is not an Engineer. His 1st degree is in science,Physics in records. Not in Engineering, haba! Most of us are aclaimed educated people now. He is not an Engineer period.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by ZnO: 12:59pm On Jul 04, 2011
dustydee:

none of these makes you an engineer. To be called an engineer, you must be registered with the appropriate engineering body in Nigeria.

''He was Distinguished Professor of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at the University of Massachusetts Amherst (1983-1996); Alcoa Foundation Professor of Engineering at University of Pittsburgh (1996-2002); William Kepler Whiteford Professor of Engineering, and Director of the U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF) Center for e-Design (2002- Present) – a multi-campus NSF Center of Excellence consortium of the University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon University, University of Central Florida, Virginia Tech, and University of Massachusetts Amherst and member of organizations; Department of Defense, Boeing, Kodak, GE, IBM, Ford Motor Company, Alcoa, Pratt & Whitney, Raytheon, BAE, ANSYS, and Lockheed Martin. He has served as principal or co-principal investigator on over $40 million research sponsored by the NSF, NATO, Department of Defense, and many companies. He has published 5 books and over 100 technical articles. His book, Computer Integrated Manufacturing and Engineering, won the 1994 world best text book prize for Manufacturing Engineering. He is the founding Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Design and Manufacturing and has served as Editor of many professional journals. He has served as Chairman of many conferences including the World Conference on Robotics Research (1991); the UN Institute for Training and Research Workshop for diplomats from various parts of the world at the UN headquarters on debt and financial management for developing countries (2001 and 2002).

He has received numerous awards: Honorary Doctor of Science from the Federal University of Technology, Yola; Honorary Doctor of Technology from Enugu State University of Science and Technology; Honorary Doctor of Science from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka; 1988 O[b]utstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award by the Society of Manufacturing Engineering;[/b] 1992 Outstanding Young Industrial Engineer Award; [/b]Fellow of Nigerian Academy of Science; [b]Fellow of the Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE), Fellow of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers; the U.S. Secretary of State's Distinguished Public Service Award (1995); Distinguished Scientist Award by the World Bank – IMF Africa Group (October 1998); the national honor – Commander of the Order of Niger by Nigerian Head of State (January 1999); the national honor – Officer of the Order of Niger by Nigerian President (November 16, 2000); the ARCO Excellence in Science & Technology Award (2001); Baker Distinguished Research Award (the highest research award given by the IIE) (May 2001); and the 2004 Nigerian National Order of Merit (NNOM) – Nigeria’s highest intellectual merit award.''

But at least he is an engineer in the US? And the US is by far (too far) greater than Nigeria in engineering. What has the NSE got to show for their so-called NSE?. You don't get engineering awards if you are not considered an engineer; yes, no?
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by homerac7: 1:07pm On Jul 04, 2011
Jeeezzz! What's d problem wt u people? How can u say Bath Nnaji isn't an engineer because of his sure sciences first degree background? Didn't u follow up on what he studied for higher degrees up to post doctoral? Isn't he a professor of MECHANICAL ENGINEERING? didn't he get his degree from MIT in engineering? Hasnt he written text books and got several awards on same engineering? How can u be more engineer than dt? He has pioneered researches in same engineering and lived and breathed same engineering all his life, and some silly people just jump in here and disqualify his for no reason as if their silly opinions count in d matter.

If u must know, revisit the NSE site to see qualifications for different cadres of engineer. I think someone even pasted it on d previous page. Section B5 under corporate membership makes provision for people wt relevant SCIENCES background and experience! so what the hell are we bleating about?

Maybe some of u guys need to check up d guys profile on Wikipedia before u subscribe to d rubbish dt he's not an engineer.

For those saying dt he is not a member of NSE to be qualified, what about members of ASME, IMechE, and other sister international bodies, does NSE mean they r superior to those bodies? I'm sure it NO! Rather there r conversion mechanisms in every such bodies dt allow foreign registered practitioners to transfer their membership from one place to other. So if NSE so desires, they should simply ask him to follow same ritual or simply bestow it on him honorarily. afterall, many less deserving individuals have received such honours.

Enough of these senseless attack on dt distinguished engineer and gentleman.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by ZnO: 1:22pm On Jul 04, 2011
Educational Requirements for Engineers: http://careerplanning.about.com/od/occupations/p/engineer.htm
To get an entry-level engineering job, one usually needs a bachelor's degree in engineering. Sometimes a bachelor's degree in physical science or mathematics may suffice, especially in high-demand specialties. Generally engineering students specialize in a particular branch of engineering but may eventually work in a related branch.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by ZnO: 1:25pm On Jul 04, 2011
Nnaji is a fellow of SME
The Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) is the world's leading professional society advancing manufacturing knowledge and influencing more than half a million manufacturing practitioners annually.

Through its local chapters, technical communities, publications, expositions and professional development resources, SME promotes an increased awareness of manufacturing engineering and keeps manufacturing professionals up to date on leading trends and technologies. Headquartered in Michigan, the Society has members in more than 70 countries and represents manufacturing practitioners across all industries.

http://www.sme.org/cgi-bin/getsmepg.pl?/new-sme.html&&&SME&
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by Amalaaba: 1:57pm On Jul 04, 2011
If you are not professionally registered as a Doctor you are something else!
If you are not professionally registered as a Lawyer you are something else!
If you are not professionally registered as an Engineer you are something else!

Even a registered Professional in Country A needs to re-affirm is Certification in Country B if he wants to practice.

No matter how much you want to vilify the Nigerian Engineers, we are are a reflection of the society. We can only do so much to the extent of the challenge we get.

We ignorantly give all the big projects to foreigners and expect magic! Many American projects worth Billions fail yearly but they don't fail to give new projects to their Engineers.

By the way, you need to be registered by COREN to attach the appellation: ENGR.

I support my President (NSE).
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by ZnO: 2:14pm On Jul 04, 2011
Amalaaba:

Even a registered Professional in Country A needs to re-affirm is Certification in Country B if he wants to practice.

No matter how much you want to vilify the Nigerian Engineers, we are are a reflection of the society. We can only do so much to the extent of the challenge we get.

We ignorantly give all the big projects to foreigners and expect magic! Many American projects worth Billions fail yearly but they don't fail to give new projects to their Engineers.

Do you need NSE accreditation to be a minister in Nigeria? Is that part of the deal?
How come this man is already practicing engineering in Nigeria with his Geometric power company, only for your NSE to begin to raise dust now?
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by ZnO: 2:16pm On Jul 04, 2011
From available info on NSE website, it does not take much to become an NSE member; if Nnaji registers today, will you change your mind?
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by iragbijile: 2:17pm On Jul 04, 2011
ZnO:

From available info on NSE website, it does not take much to become an NSE member; if Nnaji registers today, will you change your mind?

Professor of Hydroponics, what do you know about Engineering?

Yorubas are the best Engineers in the World. I can prove it, but dont push me ok.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by ektbear: 2:26pm On Jul 04, 2011
The implicit premises here are kind of funny:

1) That one must be an engineer to bring about technological development. What of mathematicians, chemists, physicists, biologists, and computer scientists?
2) That professional certification is required to be an engineer. Perhaps the title, but to work as an engineer or contribute to society, no.

Too much blather and focus on things that don't matter. Most of my own classmates didn't take the professional engineering exam when we all graduated, yet most are working and contributing in their area of expertise.

Regarding Nnaji specifically, he doesn't appear to have a classical background in engineering, yet is obviously more than qualified now as a technocrat.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by ektbear: 2:38pm On Jul 04, 2011
Btw, I dunno who said earlier he got his PhD from MIT.

Degrees B.S. in physics, St. John’s University, 1980; M.S. and Ph.D. in industrial engineering and operations research, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1982 and 1983, respectively
http://www.chronicle.pitt.edu/media/pcc030224/bart_nnaji.html

This is not to knock the guy, getting a endowed professorship even at Pitt is definitely an accomplishment in life. But he is no MIT grad.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by chimaike: 3:57pm On Jul 04, 2011
Amalaaba:

Guy please do crack my ribs while lauging, are you trying to say that an American trained doctor, lawyer & engineer that is not registered in Nigeria are as follows
If you are not professionally registered as a Doctor you are something else! =Native doctor
If you are not professionally registered as a Lawyer you are something else! = Mediator
If you are not professionally registered as an Engineer you are something else! = Meson
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by Bensonite: 11:05pm On Jul 04, 2011
I have read through all the post without anyone explaining precisely what it takes to be called an engineer in Nigeria. By law only the Council for Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria(COREN) has the right to qualify one as such and not Nigeria Society of Engineers. COREN requirement do specify an engineering background at first degree and a minimum of 4 years post graduation practice with technical report writing and written exams. With professor Nnaji masters and PhD at Engineering, it adequately qualify him for registration- if only he would register with COREN. He has more than what it takes to be called an Engineer. I think personally it was an act of ommision for NSE president to have made that statement- afterall they have hurriedly collected a million naira and registered CEO/MD of companies overnight without any exams.
Gbawe et al,
I think you are right with your critic on GEJ. Personally I feel ashame of GEJ as I was a strong supporter of him pre/post election may be not on NL that much but in the real Nigeria--though do not believe in PDP. Some of his selling points which we taught would be departure from past is already failing by the day. A good dance starts with the first step they say. Things are getting worst by the day. Why on earth will NNPC be given an unrealistic mandate to get the refineries working in 2 years. I see why you guys call him cluesless.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by Nobody: 11:29pm On Jul 04, 2011
Tarzan2009:

Thanks for your comment. I read all through the trend hoping that someone intelligent will raise the point you raised. What qualifies one to be called an engineer? My understanding is that you must have an undergraduate degree in engineering, not masters or Phd. Master's and phd are insignificant in being an engineer. I am pretty familiar with U.S qualification to become a professional engineer. You must have an undergraduate degree in engineering, not science(physics as did Prof. Nnaji), take the fundamentals of engineering exam(statics, dynamics, fluid mechanics,e.t.c; these are pure engineering courses, don't know how you can pass this if you studied physics, is it funny? grin Hope this makes some sense guys) and also, the ethics exam which can be taken later after graduation. But, the fundamentals of engineering exam must be taken prior to your graduation in your undergraduate. Those who made this law are not silly.  They need you to have a solid background on  statics, dynamics, fluid mechanics, strength of materials, and calculus. A physicist/chemist has no clue of the engineering principles required to become an engineer  shocked shocked shocked

This stupidity has being going on for a while now. I bet you all know the GMD of NNPC, this guy is a chemist by profession, and has been addressed as an engineer by most nigeria newspapers. It took the Genius of the NSE to call him to order and stopped him from using that title. Initially he said he didn't ask anyone to address him as an engineer, but why in the hell would you keep mute and not clarify it with the media if you have no interest or deriving joy from using it.

My two cents is, Prof. Barth Nnaji is not a an Engineer based on my aforementioned comment/facts. And the Nigeria Society of Engineer, as legitimate organization has done its research on Prof. Nnaji engineering background and minced no word labeling him as a non-engineer.

Mechanics is the branch of physics concerned with the behavior of physical bodies when subjected to forces or displacements, and the subsequent effects of the bodies on their environment.

In the field of physics, the study of the causes of motion and changes in motion is dynamics.

Fluid Mechanics, the study of the physics of continuous materials which take the shape of their container.

Solid-state physics forms the theoretical basis of materials science/strenght of materials.

Leibniz and Newton are both regarded as the father of Calculus and I can't remember them being Engineers.

Prof. Nnaji had a good reason for studying Physics at BSc level. His firm foundation in Physics and Mathematics has made him a world class scholar both in the field of Science and technology. But Seriously, do you think Professor Nnaji gives a bleep about the quack engineers that make up the NSE.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jul 04, 2011
ZnO:

''He was Distinguished Professor of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at the University of Massachusetts Amherst (1983-1996); Alcoa Foundation Professor of Engineering at University of Pittsburgh (1996-2002); William Kepler Whiteford Professor of Engineering, and Director of the U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF) Center for e-Design (2002- Present) – a multi-campus NSF Center of Excellence consortium of the University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon University, University of Central Florida, Virginia Tech, and University of Massachusetts Amherst and member of organizations; Department of Defense, Boeing, Kodak, GE, IBM, Ford Motor Company, Alcoa, Pratt & Whitney, Raytheon, BAE, ANSYS, and Lockheed Martin. He has served as principal or co-principal investigator on over $40 million research sponsored by the NSF, NATO, Department of Defense, and many companies. He has published 5 books and over 100 technical articles. His book, Computer Integrated Manufacturing and Engineering, won the 1994 world best text book prize for Manufacturing Engineering. He is the founding Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Design and Manufacturing and has served as Editor of many professional journals. He has served as Chairman of many conferences including the World Conference on Robotics Research (1991); the UN Institute for Training and Research Workshop for diplomats from various parts of the world at the UN headquarters on debt and financial management for developing countries (2001 and 2002).

He has received numerous awards: Honorary Doctor of Science from the Federal University of Technology, Yola; Honorary Doctor of Technology from Enugu State University of Science and Technology; Honorary Doctor of Science from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka; 1988 O[b]utstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award by the Society of Manufacturing Engineering;[/b] 1992 Outstanding Young Industrial Engineer Award; [/b]Fellow of Nigerian Academy of Science; [b]Fellow of the Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE), Fellow of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers; the U.S. Secretary of State's Distinguished Public Service Award (1995); Distinguished Scientist Award by the World Bank – IMF Africa Group (October 1998); the national honor – Commander of the Order of Niger by Nigerian Head of State (January 1999); the national honor – Officer of the Order of Niger by Nigerian President (November 16, 2000); the ARCO Excellence in Science & Technology Award (2001); Baker Distinguished Research Award (the highest research award given by the IIE) (May 2001); and the 2004 Nigerian National Order of Merit (NNOM) – Nigeria’s highest intellectual merit award.''

But at least he is an engineer in the US? And the US is by far (too far) greater than Nigeria in engineering. What has the NSE got to show for their so-called NSE?. You don't get engineering awards if you are not considered an engineer; yes, no?

Spot on!!!
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by Nobody: 12:54am On Jul 05, 2011
saxywale:

Mechanics is the branch of physics concerned with the behavior of physical bodies when subjected to forces or displacements, and the subsequent effects of the bodies on their environment.

In the field of physics, the study of the causes of motion and changes in motion is dynamics.

Fluid Mechanics, the study of the physics of continuous materials which take the shape of their container.

Solid-state physics forms the theoretical basis of materials science/strenght of materials.

Leibniz and Newton are both regarded as the father of Calculus and I can't remember them being Engineers.

Prof. Nnaji had a good reason for studying Physics at BSc level. His firm foundation in Physics and Mathematics has made him a world class scholar both in the field of Science and technology. But Seriously, do you think Professor Nnaji gives a bleep about the quack engineers that make up the NSE.

Thanx for correcting the Ignorant fellow. As if Engineering was independent of Physics. undecided
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by naijaking1: 1:14am On Jul 05, 2011
Comment by this badly educated NSE president is the reason why Nigeria is backward. First the non-productive electric workers union kicks against Nnaji's appointment because they fear for their jobs when he privatizes power in Nigeria, now the myopic NSE is joining the cause under another pretext: No engineer in the cabinet angry
Shame on chronic power failure, shame on those who have no solution, but will fight other people plans to improve the system.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jul 17, 2011
Do we really have Engineers in the country?
Why do we import everything even toothpick?
Why is it that country like Iran man their oil industry by themselves and we still rely heavily on foreign partners?
Why do NSE use Engineer as title which is not applicable in any part of the world?

What we have in Nigeria is Engineering workers not Engineers.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by Bensonite: 9:29pm On Jul 17, 2011
petaling:

Do we really have Engineers in the country?
Why do we import everything even toothpick?
Why is it that country like Iran man their oil industry by themselves and we still rely heavily on foreign partners?
Why do NSE use Engineer as title which is not applicable in any part of the world?

What we have in Nigeria is Engineering workers not Engineers.

NSE do not confer the title enigeer on you but COREN please get this right. Statutory only COREN has the right to do so. Please provide proof that only in Nigeria that the title engineer is used. I would like to know.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by fio(m): 10:39pm On Oct 12, 2011
Guys pls, I need proper understanding of mechatronics engineering, I mean d job opportunities.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by nolongTing: 12:15am On Oct 13, 2011
A degree in physics dose not make you an Engineer, Engineering is applied Science depending on your field - there are minimal competences that you need to achieve, that is the global standard. Even if you have a Phd in Physics you are NOT an Engineer, you are a Physicist.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by fio(m): 8:19pm On Oct 18, 2011
Pls, dat hasn't solve my problem.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by manny4life(m): 12:58pm On Nov 04, 2011
@Rhino.5dm

It's one thing to finish law school and then to be called to the bar and it's another thing to actually be a member of the American Bar Association. ABA does not say that you have to a full member before you can be called a lawyer, the requirement to be called on is if you "PASS THE BAR". So your analysis DOES NOT HOLD. NSE is an association of Engineers, there is no Nigerian Law through a charter of organization that says you cannot be an engineer if you haven't passed the Engineering Certification Exams, I chose not be a member of NSE doesn't mean I'm not certified to be an Engineer, get your fact straight; put your comparisons together.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko / Japan Did This In 2 Days! How Long Will It Take Your Country? (pic) / Osun Tribunal To Take Final Addresses From Parties On Friday 13th January.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.