Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,047 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion (497 Views)

Nigerians Accuse Tinubu Of Tribalism, For Bypassing Brilliant Dr. Obiora / Mr. Seun: The Level Of Tribalism And Ethnic E-warfare In Nairaland Is Sickening / Why Is Jimi Agbaje Always Playing The Politics Of Tribalism In Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion by rightdata: 3:25pm On Mar 26, 2022
Nigeria and most Africans still find it very difficult to overcome the twin problem of tribalism and religion. The mind of the black man can't seem to think right when important decisions are to be made because of these two factors. Politics and voting in Nigeria is still very much controlled by these. A nigerian can bypass a competent man from another tribe and follow an incompetent man from his own tribe and religion.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion by LLiKYekoba: 3:30pm On Mar 26, 2022
When you treat every region right. Tribalism will die a natural death.
Infact your own brother will beat you up if you try to be tribalistic.

But as along there are 'born to rule' people, 'born to vote' and the marginalized. Tribalism is 100% justified, it is imperative for ethnic survival in the dog-eat-dog cesspool of evil called nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion by Aboks(m): 3:38pm On Mar 26, 2022
Ok
Re: Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion by mrvitalis(m): 3:40pm On Mar 26, 2022
rightdata:
Nigeria and most Africans still find it very difficult to overcome the twin problem of tribalism and religion. The mind of the black man can't seem to think right when important decisions are to be made because of these two factors. Politics and voting in Nigeria is still very much controlled by these. A nigerian can bypass a competent man from another tribe and follow an incompetent man from his own tribe and religion.
Because we are not structure right ...of each tribe control their resources and police themselves ...it would die a natural death just like in Europe and Asia
Re: Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion by Ivimmanuel: 3:45pm On Mar 26, 2022
LLiKYekoba:
When you treat every region right. Tribalism will die a natural death.
Infact your own brother will beat you up if you try to be tribalistic.

But as along there are 'born to rule' people, 'born to vote' and the marginalized. Tribalism is 100% justified, it is imperative for ethnic survival in the dog-eat-dog cesspool of evil called nigeria.
of what need will it be voting that your tribal man or woman that doesn't even know you and may never create opportunities that you will benefit from. Marginalisation or whatever, it is foolish to vote your tribal person as against a competent candidate you know may bring development.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion by LLiKYekoba: 3:51pm On Mar 26, 2022
Ivimmanuel:
of what need will it be voting that your tribal man or woman that doesn't even know you and may never create opportunities that you will benefit from. Marginalisation or whatever, it is foolish to vote your tribal person as against a competent candidate you know may bring development.

All these na turenci wey we don dey hear since them born us.
I am an Igbo man, when I was voting against Igbo man for yorubas and fulanis during elections, what have I gained since? Gross incompetence, inflation, economic depression, violence, insecurity, terrorism, marginalization and insults of 'you ibos are not united.

I wanna try something different now. I want to vote my own.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion by helinues: 3:57pm On Mar 26, 2022
As in na real menace in our society
Re: Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion by ImmaculateJOE(m): 3:57pm On Mar 26, 2022
LLiKYekoba:

I am an Igbo man, when I was voting against Igbo man for yorubas and fulanis during elections, what have gained since? Gross incompetence, inflation, economic depression, violence, insecurity, terrorism, marginalization and insults of 'you ibos are not united.

Exactly...
Igbo has my vote this time around regardless of the party and regardless of him loosing or winning.
I have never casted my vote for my Igbo brother since I came of age (2011) but this time around. Its Igbo candidates all through..

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion by BSdetective: 4:00pm On Mar 26, 2022
Op sounds smart but is quite ignorant..... tribalism in politics or identity politics is a global issue in countries with multiple races or ethnic groups(multi-ethnic societies)... The average redneck in the southern part of America will hardly vote a black man except it's going to push the interest of his fellow rednecks and identity politics is part and parcel of American politics. The solution for Nigeria's own is simply restructuring that would give equal power to every ethnic group in the country and responsibility over their domain.

The honest truth of the matter is that is counter productive to tell people not to be tribalistic or identify with their group, pseudo intellectuals always try to do this.
Re: Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion by SmartPolician: 4:04pm On Mar 26, 2022
Unfortunately, I don't think the brains of African blacks have been politically advanced for self-rule.

Until we understand how Lee Kuan Yew dealt with the issues of political superiority and tribalism in his Singapore and genuinely apply that here, a united and prosperous Nigeria would always be a mirage.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion by AntiBeEmCe(m): 4:05pm On Mar 26, 2022
And they can never ever overcome it.
Re: Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion by Ivimmanuel: 4:13pm On Mar 26, 2022
LLiKYekoba:

I am an Igbo man, when I was voting against Igbo man for yorubas and fulanis during elections, what have gained since? Gross incompetence, inflation, economic depression, violence, insecurity, terrorism, marginalization and insults of 'you ibos are not united.

if you had Igbo candidates that you knew were competent why didn't you vote for them? If everyone votes with this mind set the country will never have leaders that are going to be any better. If any candidate emerges on any platform and i feel he's competent I'll vote I don't mind if he's Fulani or Yoruba. Anyways Goodluck voting your tribes person.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion by Exprofressor: 4:19pm On Mar 26, 2022
Because we are dumb and daft
Because our brains have been taken and replaced

We are brainwashed, but the bitter side of it is that we re not ready to learn, we don't even want to think we have been fooled

I weep for Africa
Re: Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion by DMerciful(m): 6:34pm On Mar 26, 2022
No country develops with the twin problems of tribalism and religion! Even with restructuring, they'd go into clans and dialets or communities.

If the mindset doesn't change to appreciate the fact that democracy should be run on the basis of meritocracy, then there's no advantage of democracy interms of development!
BSdetective:
Op sounds smart but is quite ignorant..... tribalism in politics or identity politics is a global issue in countries with multiple races or ethnic groups(multi-ethnic societies)... The average redneck in the southern part of America will hardly vote a black man except it's going to push the interest of his fellow rednecks and identity politics is part and parcel of American politics. The solution for Nigeria's own is simply restructuring that would give equal power to every ethnic group in the country and responsibility over their domain.

The honest truth of the matter is that is counter productive to tell people not to be tribalistic or identify with their group, pseudo intellectuals always try to do this.
Re: Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion by DMerciful(m): 6:35pm On Mar 26, 2022
Truth is we're not matured enough for democracy. We're not enlightened to appreciate the fact that we cannot enter an airplane we know the pilot is incompetent because he is our brother.

A country is also analogous to a plane, if we use nepotism to select the pilot, the tendency to crash is very high
Re: Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion by horsepower102: 6:42pm On Mar 26, 2022
rightdata:

Even Europeans have the same problem and that’s why they were smart enough not to create heterogeneous countries for themselves.

But they did the opposite for black Africans and those same Africans are killing each other to preserve their evil legacy.

African countries won’t work because it wasn’t created by Africans especially Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion by BSdetective: 7:14pm On Mar 26, 2022
DMerciful:
No country develops with the twin problems of tribalism and religion! Even with restructuring, they'd go into clans and dialets or communities.

If the mindset doesn't change to appreciate the fact that democracy should be run on the basis of meritocracy, then there's no advantage of democracy interms of development!

This is false......as racist and tribal as aparthied south Africa was it was still fairly developed, the Japanese are also very tribal and are actually thriving.... Tribalism doesn't limit development because it's the same as nationalism and Nationalism doesn't limit development instead it encourages it. The problem in Nigeria is that the tribal identity is more stronger than the national identity because the national identity is more of an artificial one created by the colonists and now the tribal identity is now the national identity of groups in Nigeria......if these tribal groups form their own respective countries the issue of tribalism won't exist anymore because it would subsequent be transformed into nationalism.....this is were meritocracy can now come in. But a reasonable and beneficial option would be a restructured country into regional governments.... that's a practical solution.
Re: Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion by BSdetective: 7:17pm On Mar 26, 2022
horsepower102:

Even Europeans have the same problem and that’s why they were smart enough not to create heterogeneous countries for themselves.

But they did the opposite for black Africans and those same Africans are killing each other to preserve their evil legacy.

African countries won’t work because it wasn’t created by Africans especially Nigeria.

God bless you..... you're a conscious African. The whites knew what they were doing in the Berlin conference by dividing Africa into parts and putting unrelated groups together.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion by LLiKYekoba: 7:20pm On Mar 26, 2022
Ivimmanuel:
if you had Igbo candidates that you knew were competent why didn't you vote for them? If everyone votes with this mind set the country will never have leaders that are going to be any better. If any candidate emerges on any platform and i feel he's competent I'll vote I don't mind if he's Fulani or Yoruba. Anyways Goodluck voting your tribes person.

You are not a practical pragmatist. You are an utopianist idealist. Face facts.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion by DMerciful(m): 7:30pm On Mar 26, 2022
You're mixing tribalism with racism and that's where you're wrong. Racism is done to people of other race or country, tribalism is done to people within same country.

Japanese will not be tribal against themselves! South Africa was developed by white South Africans, the blacks are very lazy, i have people there.

Tribalism is the biggest challenge to Nigeria
development. Even within the same nationality, there's clanishness! Even within same clan, there's still small forms of nepotism
BSdetective:

This is false......as racist and tribal as aparthied south Africa was it was still fairly developed, the Japanese are also very tribal and are actually thriving.... Tribalism doesn't limit development because it's the same as nationalism and Nationalism doesn't limit development instead it encourages it. The problem in Nigeria is that the tribal identity is more stronger than the national identity because the national identity is more of an artificial one created by the colonists and now the tribal identity is now the national identity of groups in Nigeria......if these tribal groups form their own respective countries the issue of tribalism won't exist anymore because it would subsequent be transformed into nationalism.....this is were meritocracy can now come in. But a reasonable and beneficial option would be a restructured country into regional governments.... that's a practical solution.
Re: Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion by BSdetective: 7:34pm On Mar 26, 2022
DMerciful:
You're mixing tribalism with racism and that's where you're wrong. Racism is done to people of other race or country, tribalism is done to people within same country.

Japanese will not be tribal against themselves! South Africa was developed by white South Africans, the blacks are very lazy, i have people there.

Tribalism is the biggest challenge to Nigeria
development. Even within the same nationality, there's clanishness! Even within same clan, there's still small forms of nepotism

Lol

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Find It Hard To Overcome The Twin Problem Of Tribalism And Religion by abobote: 8:11pm On Mar 26, 2022
And always the first ti complain about racism

(1) (Reply)

Today April 4th 2022 Marks The End Of Sit-at-home In Anambra - Soludo / Go Back To APC, I Am Not Leaving, Lai Mmohammed Tells Supporters / Nnamdi Kanu: Jubilation Erupts In Owerri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.