Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,513 members, 7,816,243 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:10 AM

Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? (3779 Views)

Bill Gate Inherit The Whole World, But........... / Be In The World But Not Of The World. / What Will It Profit A Man, If He Gains The Whole World, But Loses His Soul? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Image123(m): 5:12pm On Jul 12, 2011
4. Like i said earlier, the soul's functions are so real. The emotions of love, and joy, and fear are undeniable. Even so are the mind and the will. Whatever name you now call them, the scriptures(the human manual) have always been clear on the existence of the inside man, and the separation of the body from the soul. We're not just body, the 'real' you's inside. We're spirit, soul and body.
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jul 12, 2011
Image123:

3. You're just martian. God's Word is surer than you, your story of shango and satan may have no base. There's proof that all humans are under the slavery of sin and satan and need to be redeemed by Jesus Christ just like the Bible states.
What the Bible calls the heart is not the biological heart of the circulatory system. It's one word with 2meanings. A good study of the Bible reveals that the human is composed of spirit, soul and body/flesh. Now in different instances in the Bible, there are 'simplistic' uses of these three words and there are v.specific uses. Simplistic in the sense that sometimes, the whole human can be referred to as body, sometimes its soul. Also due to the fallen nature of man, soul and spirit/heart are joined together many times. It's the Word of God that is a divider of soul and spirit.metimes its soul. Also due to the fallen nature of man, soul and spirit/heart are joined together many times. It's the Word of God that is a divider of soul and spirit.

I never said the brain is the soul, I said there is no such thing as a soul.We are not on the same page in any way shape or form. The reason you think you have one is because of that bible. You think it's the word of god when it's just a mixture of Jewish folklores, Greek mythology and roman paganism. And one more thing, the cerebrum,cortex and lobes are parts of the brain, not different names for a soul.

Your post is just the same spiel about so called spiritual things that are always invisible.  The bible is jewish mythology, it's not historically or scientifically accurate. Your beliefs are just versions of the same stories we all acknowledge to be myths.  I have to be willfully ignorant to believe that 6000yrs ago, Yahweh created the whole freaking universe for a particular species of apes on a minuscule planet. We are live because the conditions on earth are conducive to our survival. If the equilibrium is disturbed, we'll be gone but the earth and universe will remain. Thinking you have a soul is just a way to avoid that uncomfortable truth. You are not special. You have no soul.

[quote][/quote]
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jul 12, 2011
Image123:

4. Like i said earlier, the soul's functions are so real. The emotions of love, and joy, and fear are undeniable. Even so are the mind and the will. Whatever name you now call them, the scriptures(the human manual) have always been clear on the existence of the inside man, and the separation of the body from the soul. We're not just body, the 'real' you's inside. We're spirit, soul and body.

The brain, the brain, the freaking brain! The functions you keep mentioning are all done by the brain. The scriptures are just as valid as the Quran, there is nothing special about the bible. Knowledge and information are to easy to procure but you peopl insist on this ignorant book.
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Image123(m): 6:21pm On Jul 12, 2011
^
You didn't say the brain is the soul, neither did i say you did. Every human has emotions, will and mind. Those 3things are functions of what the Bible and i call the soul. You say those 3 things are functions of the brain, no qualms. The soul may well be inside the brain which is in the body.
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jul 12, 2011
Image123:

^
You didn't say the brain is the soul, neither did i say you did. Every human has emotions, will and mind. Those 3things are functions of what the Bible and i call the soul. You say those 3 things are functions of the brain, no qualms. The soul may well be inside the brain which is in the body.

You said we have a "base of agreement" as to it's function and I insist that we don't have an sort of agreement because your explanation for the characteristics of humans that you mentioned are purely based on myths while mine is based on reality.
The only place where souls exist are in the pages of your holy book and no intellectually honest person can say that the bible should be taken serious when talking about what's real or not. A book that potrays stories like the tower of babel as historically accurate shouldn't be taken as nothing but mythology.

You can insist and believe that you have a soul until you breathe your last, but that doesn't make it true. The origin of the word atheist was in Greece to identify those who didn't believe in the Greek pantheon of gods. Those atheists were right because I don't see anyone arguing for the existence of Zeus on these boards except for Perseus aka Jesus.I am right just like those godless, Greek heathens.

The soul may well be inside your brain because that's where all thoughts and ideas come from. So that's what your soul is;just an idea from the minds of primitive men who didn't have the tool we have now.

And looking at your signature, you said the Jesus resurrection fable is the "greatest truth in the universe". It seems y'all don't understand just how big the universe is for you to think that your god made it just for your species. Check out this video from the Amerucan Museum Of Natural History maybe you can comprehend it.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/results?q=the%20known%20universe
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Image123(m): 8:51pm On Jul 12, 2011
^
We have a similar base of agreement because we both agree that humans have will, mind and emotions. You say those 3things are functions of the brain, and i say that they are functions of the soul. What's unreal about that? That science calls it brain is nothing, science is always evolving/changing, the scriptures is already settled. Tomorrow, science can come and say thinking is done in the martian of the left occipital lobe and give it another cute name. The base is still that humans have a mind. I said the soul may well be inside the brain, it may even be inside the knees, no wahala for me. What i know and think you know is that humans have a will, mind, and emotion. When the average man displays emotion of say fear, or love, or shame, He might feel it in any part of himself. If science says it's in the brain, no problem no big arguement. The sure fact though is that he has that fear, love or shame.
You seem to have personal issues with God for someone who thinks He doesn't exist. BTW, you tell me what the greatest truth in the universe is, maybe i'll consider a change of signature.
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Image123(m): 7:43am On Jul 13, 2011
You're so bitter you're not making much sense. Life is more real than reading books, links and quotes. Get your facts real bTW. The soul's so real, that's what you're typing from brova.
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Nobody: 8:47am On Jul 13, 2011
Image123:

You're so bitter you're not making much sense. Life is more real than reading books, links and quotes. Get your facts real bTW. The soul's so real, that's what you're typing from brova.

lmao, seems you ran out of ideas to justify your ignorance. Life is more real than books, links and quotes? The hell does that mean anyway?  No wonder someone said the best way to hide something from a black man is in a book. Sounds racist, but its hard to deny that it applies to too many black people. Seems the only material y'all consider reading are the irrational campfire stories of ancient people and the "literary masterpieces" written by the idiots in charge called pastors or imams.

Get my facts straight? I just inundated you with facts but you refuse to acknowledge them. Maybe if i said some dumb sh_t like snakes convincing humans to eat fruits then you'll consider that as a fact.  The Dum Diversas is a fact, the germanic origin of the word god is a fact. Souls are not real, that's a fact. 

Talking about not making sense, the only part of my post that didn't make sense is this.
Martian:

Seriously, some jew in ancient palestine crawled out of a virgin in the middle of winter, then proceeded to do magic tricks, got himself killed, woke back up, and floated up into the blue skies?

He did all that in order for your soul to live for eternity in heaven and worship his father/him. Right? How ironic is it that this particular sentence sums up what you believe minus the other ridiculous claims in that bible or yours. It doesn't make sense.
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Image123(m): 4:12pm On Jul 13, 2011
^
You have real issues, not everything boils down to racism or poverty. There are white people and people of other races that believe in the concept of a soul. There are academic professors that are born again. It's not about hiding things in books or exposure. Many people just think stuff is true because they've read it in a book or it has a weblink or it's a Dr. that said it.
This isn't an issue of education, every human can easily distinguish the different experiences of soul and body. It's simple 'spiritual' term/classification. You have other/different means of classification. One can class the human body on different fronts; you can have digestive, nerve, reproductive. I've given you the Bible's class. All humans have will, emotion, and mind. If that's too complex for your pride and bigotry, too bad.
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jul 13, 2011
Image123:

^
You have real issues, not everything boils down to racism or poverty. There are white people and people of other races that believe in the concept of a soul. There are academic professors that are born again. It's not about hiding things in books or exposure. Many people just think stuff is true because they've read it in a book or it has a weblink or it's a Dr. that said it.
This isn't an issue of education, every human can easily distinguish the different experiences of soul and body. It's simple 'spiritual' term/classification. You have other/different means of classification. One can class the human body on different fronts; you can have digestive, nerve, reproductive. I've given you the Bible's class. All humans have will, emotion, and mind. If that's too complex for your pride and bigotry, too bad.

You're more likely to find people that are not spiritual in academic circles, so there is a correlation between religiosity and education. I don't care about what whites and other races believe, at least europe westernized Christianity to fit their own image and culture. You people are the ones putting jewish/ hellenistic folklores on a pedestal. Education plays a big part though. in addition to the social and economic factors, the more educated the populace is, the less likely they are to believe in gods.  People who know enough and still choose to believe are the ones who like the protective feeling the idea of a personal diety gives them. So they choose to compartmentalize it. They are usually the moderates who keep their faiths private. And some people are just scared! Believe it or not. It can be hard to shake years of  explicit and implicit indoctrination.
These people are one out of ten, the rest of you are mostly morons. On this site, there are two people whom I suspect compartmentalize their beliefs and do not scrutinize it too much.

And why is it that whenever you people are challenged, your defense is "White people are doing it too". WTF, it's like if white people do it, it must be good for everyone else. They removed the physical shackles of slavery and colonization but y'all hold fast to your mental slavery.  Well since an increasing amount of white  people who brought you Jesus are no longer enamored with him, maybe y'all should think about reconsidering.
Religion is also intertwined with poverty. You can't find one without the other lurking near by. Drastically reduce poverty in Nigeria and watch the number of churches shrink.

Exposure plays a big part too. A couple of guys on this site constantly post about stuff they find on consipracy theorist websites, some literally think their M.O.Gs are some universally respected celebrities, some think pop stars are involved in mind control, some think hitler was an atheist, most think the world is just Christians and Muslims(or they sound and act like it). A little exposure will go a long way to show them how ridiculous these ideas are. An example will be  those CE members who think their seed sowing is used to fund some sophisticated Christian programming, you're gravely mistaken. Iv seen your leader  on tv and his stuff is substandard and runs for 30mins. I stumbled on his show while chcking the tv guide and I just had to see what makes him so controversial. It's also buried among the numerous church shows shown by one channel. You're not winning any "souls"! He had a e suit on though.

atoms make up molecules, molecules make up cells, cells make up tissues, tissues make up organs, organs make up organ systems and organ systems make up the whole body. There is no soul involved anywhere, not in your brain or your knee caps like you said before. Its probably in your anus. Lol Souls only exist in the spiritual realm grin but this spiritual realm is probably another idea made up by some primitive people brains.

Nothing you can say can be too complex for me but you sure cn say things that leave me stupefied that I used to have the same type of ignorant beliefs.
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Image123(m): 7:47pm On Jul 13, 2011
Sorry, i can't help you much.
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jul 13, 2011
Image123:

Sorry, i can't help you much.

Why would I want help from you?! Lol
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Image123(m): 10:06pm On Jul 13, 2011
You may not want help, there's however no shade of doubt that you need help.
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Nobody: 3:07am On Jul 14, 2011
Image123:

You may not want help, there's however no shade of doubt that you need help.

While you need to stop being silly. Virgins don't give birth, people don't walk on water and they sure do not resurrect. The bible is just another mythological book, it's not a word of anything called a god.But I know thats virtually impossible for you to understand because you can't think and if u could you still couldn't shake your delusions and you're too cowardly to admit your god doesn't exist. You need someone watching from "above" and taking care of you. Kids have imaginary friends, adults should know better. Maybe you need more exposure or read more useful materials than your book of roman paganism and super Jewish zombie.
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Image123(m): 7:41am On Jul 14, 2011
Virgins don't give birth, didn't say that they do, do you smoke? People do not walk on water. Jesus walked on water bTW, it's called 'miracle'. There's not only resurrection of the dead, there is everlasting life, get a good grip. Your soul is quite troubled, sorry your BRAIN is on hyper-drive. Can you try to focus on one or two issues at once instead of vomiting all your 'challenges' at a go? I didn't say the soul is in the spiritual realm, mr. reader(imagine the person that.s talked of hiding things in book). I said it's a spiritual term/classification for the part of the human that wills and thinks. How that's complex to you is becoming magical.
Only a deluded or ignorant person would think that rich people or educated people are not 'religious'(the inferiority complexes of an atheist). Get a real life, there still life outside reading articles, blogs and links.
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Nobody: 9:06am On Jul 14, 2011
Image123:

Virgins don't give birth, didn't say that they do, do you smoke? People do not walk on water. Jesus walked on water bTW, it's called 'miracle'. There's not only resurrection of the dead, there is everlasting life, get a good grip. Your soul is quite troubled, sorry your BRAIN is on hyper-drive. Can you try to focus on one or two issues at once instead of vomiting all your 'challenges' at a go? I didn't say the soul is in the spiritual realm, mr. reader(imagine the person that.s talked of hiding things in book). I said it's a spiritual term/classification for the part of the human that wills and thinks. How that's complex to you is becoming magical.
Only a deluded or ignorant person would think that rich people or educated people are not 'religious'(the inferiority complexes of an atheist). Get a real life, there still life outside reading articles, blogs and links.

lol, I never said rich people or educated people are not religious, afterall childhood indoctrination is very effective.I was talking about the detrimental effects of religion on society as a whole and the correlation between extreme religiosity, poverty and educational levels. Using this site as an example, the most fundamental religion adherents live in Nigeria while athe atheists, agnostics and moderates live outside Nigeria. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out the effects of the environment on a person's cognitive abilities.Having lived in a few places and observed the people, the two places that happened to be the most religious and ignorant were Nigeria and Iraq. Even in the U.S, the most religious places happen to be places with low educational levels and economic opportunities (hence the joke about churches, liquor stores and gun stores on the same block in the "hood)
The only things with spiritual connotations are those things that do not exist.

"Virgins don't give birth, didn't say that they do, do you smoke?"

I know virgins don't give birth but you think it happened!

People do not walk on water. Jesus walked on water.  it's called 'miracle'

Yea miracle. lmao I walked on water too, it ws frozen though. 

There's not only resurrection of the dead, there is everlasting life, get a good grip
I got a good grip, it's you who needs to discard ancient beliefs. Everlating life!!!! In your dreams. Do you also get wings and does St Peter open up the pearly gates for you? lmao, this is too funny. Ressurection of the dead only happens in movies. You know, Hollywood! Jesus the Zombie.  grin

Your soul is quite troubled, sorry your BRAIN is on hyper-drive. Can you try to focus on one or two issues at once instead of vomiting all your 'challenges' at a go

Thanks for correcting yourself. And yes my brain is on "hyper drive" that's why I can talk about different things that are related to your delusions at the same time. You need to exercise yours more then you'll be able to keep up. Maybe I'll just dumb it down and agree with you that the devil has the legal rights to your soul because a snake convinced a unclothed woman to eat a fruit. Is that simple enough?

I didn't say the soul is in the spiritual realm, mr. reader(imagine the person that.s talked of hiding things in book). I said it's a spiritual term/classification for the part of the human that wills and thinks. How that's complex to you is becoming magical.

It's becoming magical because it is magical mumbo jumbo. It's not complex, it just ret@rded.  And when I said souls only exist in the spiritual realm, I meant souls can only be explained by using  another vague idea like spirituality. That's why you called it a spiritual term. And what the hell is a spirit apart from it being used as a metaphor for feelings or emotions? Actually, don't answer that. I don't want more of your brain fart.  Mr Reader. I like that. I call you Mr Bible Reader. Do you like it?

Get a real life, there still life outside reading articles, blogs and links.

Hmmm, reading is part of my life. I can't avoid it. grin  Don't get upset that reading and critical thinking are alien to your life. Im sure glad my life is not spent around people like you but  I do enjoy reading you people's (religious) comments. Its like going to the zoo and observing the animals. lol.  You're also on Nairaland, why don't you "get a life"?

Only a deluded or ignorant person would think that rich people or educated people are not 'religious'(the inferiority complexes of an atheist). . grin

Why would I feel inferior to anyone; especially someone who thinks their god exist either because of ignorance or indoctrination? Rich countries with good educational systems are less likely to be filled up with people like you though. When a large percentage of people are like you , the result is Nigeria . I don't even need to prove this, just step outside your house.  grin
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Image123(m): 10:10am On Jul 14, 2011
Well said that your case/posts would have been so funny if it wasn't so pathetic. So your view is that once someone leaves nigeria, he's now rich and enlightened? Pele o Gulliver, non atheists also travel, make money and study. You're suffering from racism and inferiority complex. You may also need to improve on your comprehension of what i say. i've not told you not to read or that i don't read. i'm only cautioning you that life is not all about that. I'm saying that because most of your life is based on what you've read somewhere and think to be fact.
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Nobody: 10:49am On Jul 14, 2011
Image123:

Well said that your case/posts would have been so funny if it wasn't so pathetic. So your view is that once someone leaves nigeria, he's now rich and enlightened? Pele o Gulliver, non atheists also travel, make money and study. You're suffering from racism and inferiority complex. You may also need to improve on your comprehension of what i say. i've not told you not to read or that i don't read. i'm only cautioning you that life is not all about that. I'm saying that because most of your life is based on what you've read somewhere and think to be fact.
\

No, I meant the zeitgeist of the Nigerian society allows for a lack of critical thought and results in an overly religious society.Freethought and critical thinking can't happen in a society like that so development will be stagnant. Call me racist and say I suffer from inferiority complex all you want, the evidence of what I say is Boko Haram and all these people on here who blindly follow what some "man of god" says.  My views are further supported by the same people who spout phrases like "principles of exchange" as an antidote for poverty.This isn't the middle ages when religious authority figures where the epitome of intellectualism, this is the freaking 21st century; people who rely on these people will forever remain at the bottom because religious "knowledge" is useless in a modern world.

I don't need life advice from you!!! Sh_t, Ill rather take a bullet to the head. 

So your view is that once someone leaves nigeria, he's now rich and enlightened

No, my view is that someone who leaves Nigeria or any society drenched in religious beliefs has a better chance of discarding illogical myths than someone who happens to live there. Call me racist but it's the truth. A survey of the geographical locations of the religious and non religious people on this site can easily prove that.

I'm saying that because most of your life is based on what you've read somewhere and think to be fact.

I can say the same thing about you; and the tragic part is that what you read and base your life on is a fictional book that you think or have been indoctrinated to believe is real. I can also deduce fact from fiction when i read about something because I look for different sources and Im not handicapped by spirituality or superstition.

You may also need to improve on your comprehension of what i say.

I fully comprehend what you say, it's just that the things you say will only make sense to someone with the same ignorant views as yourself. 

Thanks for calliing me gulliver, at least Ive seen first hand how people on different continents live and I've been able to view different religious practices in order to put them in the same category of mythology.
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Nobody: 11:38am On Jul 14, 2011
Another example of what I'm talking about. The bolded part in particular.

manmacho

Re: The Greatest Lie Of Christianity
« #35 on: Today at 10:37:13 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
adam eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, note thier eyes were open. The result of adam sin was man ability to "reason" just like wat u are doin now dis is called man's wisdom which is foolishness b4 God. To realy no God u must loose your sense of reasoning (science). God does not owe u any explanation u just beliv is s rule den u wil see dat our gospel is true
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Joagbaje(m): 11:41am On Jul 14, 2011
Man has an invisible part. This invisible inner part is actually the real man. Many call it "the soul" but it is actually "The spirit" of man. The "soul" is used in generic terms by people of many faith. But there is a soul of man which is the emotional and intellectual part of a human being. But The spirit is the real person.
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by PastorAIO: 12:50pm On Jul 14, 2011
Joagbaje:

Man has an invisible part. This invisible inner part is actually the real man. Many call it "the soul" but it is actually "The spirit" of man. The "soul" is used in generic terms by people of many faith. But there is a soul of man which is the emotional and intellectual part of a human being. But The spirit is the real person.

What would you say were the attributes of spirit? For example I could say that the attributes of the physical body is that it is limited to it's present location, it occupies space, it has weight, density, and height, it is a composite of various organs (kidneys, muscles, liver) which are in turn composites of various tissues, it requires energy to move from location to location etc etc etc.

What are the attributes of Spirit? What can we say about it?
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Image123(m): 4:57pm On Jul 14, 2011
Martian:

\

No, I meant the zeitgeist of the Nigerian society allows for a lack of critical thought and results in an overly religious society.Freethought and critical thinking can't happen in a society like that so development will be stagnant. Call me racist and say I suffer from inferiority complex all you want, the evidence of what I say is Boko Haram and all these people on here who blindly follow what some "man of god" says.  My views are further supported by the same people who spout phrases like "principles of exchange" as an antidote for poverty.This isn't the middle ages when religious authority figures where the epitome of intellectualism, this is the freaking 21st century; people who rely on these people will forever remain at the bottom because religious "knowledge" is useless in a modern world.

I don't need life advice from you!!! Sh_t, Ill rather take a bullet to the head. 

So your view is that once someone leaves nigeria, he's now rich and enlightened

No, my view is that someone who leaves Nigeria or any society drenched in religious beliefs has a better chance of discarding illogical myths than someone who happens to live there. Call me racist but it's the truth. A survey of the geographical locations of the religious and non religious people on this site can easily prove that.

I'm saying that because most of your life is based on what you've read somewhere and think to be fact.

I can say the same thing about you; and the tragic part is that what you read and base your life on is a fictional book that you think or have been indoctrinated to believe is real. I can also deduce fact from fiction when i read about something because I look for different sources and Im not handicapped by spirituality or superstition.

You may also need to improve on your comprehension of what i say.

I fully comprehend what you say, it's just that the things you say will only make sense to someone with the same ignorant views as yourself. 

Thanks for calliing me gulliver, at least Ive seen first hand how people on different continents live and I've been able to view different religious practices in order to put them in the same category of mythology.

Aaargh, i thought you're happy as a reader abi you be chinko reader? i said you're suffering from racism, not that you're a racist. You also insinuated that people talk of soul because they're poor or uneducated or live in nigeria, that's lazy reasoning. Your arguments from books and links are meaningless in the sight of experience. Get the issues right and lessen your hyper-drive, we're talking of souls, not about all your challenges with religion.
BTW, God encourages hardwork, study and the good things that ensue prosperity and knowledge.
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jul 14, 2011
Image123:

Aaargh, i thought you're happy as a reader abi you be chinko reader? i said you're suffering from racism, not that you're a racist. You also insinuated that people talk of soul because they're poor or uneducated or live in nigeria, that's lazy reasoning. Your arguments from books and links are meaningless in the sight of experience. Get the issues right and lessen your hyper-drive, we're talking of souls, not about all your challenges with religion.
BTW, God encourages hardwork, study and the good things that ensue prosperity and knowledge.

Why do you think I'm not happy being a reader? I just pointed out that you do the same thing except you base your life on a book that is made up of beliefs of ancient people. Your ignorance is getting irritating even though I know it's not your fault. Like it or not, poverty and education plays a big part and anyone with half a brain can observe different places and people and know I'm right.

[b]Atheists are probably more intelligent than religious people because they benefit from many social conditions that happen to be correlated with loss of religious belief. When one looks at this phenomenon from the point of view of comparisons between countries, it is not hard to figure out possible reasons that more intelligent countries have more atheists and that more intelligent states in the U.S. also have more nonbelievers. Highly religious countries:
Are poorer.
Are less urbanized.
Have lower levels of education.
Have less exposure to electronic media that increase intelligence.
Experience a heavier load of infectious diseases that impair brain function.
Suffer more from low birth weights.
Have worse child nutrition.
Do a poor job of controlling environmental pollutants such as lead that reduce IQ.
Given that each of these factors are recognized causes of low IQ scores, there is little mystery about why religious countries score lower on IQ tests. Of course, the same phenomena are relevant to comparisons within a country, although within-country differences in these factors are generally smaller. Even so, the wealthier individuals in a country experience life differently than the poorer ones, developing higher IQ scores and greater religious skepticism.[/b]

The truth is the truth, no matter how uncomfortable it makes you.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nigel-barber/why-atheists-have-higher-_b_853414.html
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jul 14, 2011
Atheists are heavily concentrated in economically developed countries, particularly the social democracies of Europe. In underdeveloped countries, there are virtually no atheists. Atheism is thus a peculiarly modern phenomenon. Why do modern conditions produce atheism?

First, as to the distribution of atheism in the world, a clear pattern can be discerned. In sub-Saharan Africa there is almost no atheism (Zuckerman, 2007). Belief in God declines in more developed countries and is concentrated in Europe in countries such as Sweden (64% nonbelievers), Denmark (48%), France (44%) and Germany (42%). In contrast, the incidence of atheism in most sub-Saharan countries is below 1%.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-human-beast/201005/why-atheism-will-replace-religion
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Gbenge77(m): 6:38pm On Jul 14, 2011
For what will a man give in exchange for his soul?
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jul 14, 2011
Gbenge 77:

For what will a man give in exchange for his soul?

Que??
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Image123(m): 8:01pm On Jul 14, 2011
Martian:

Que??
Nothing, a man can give nothing in exchange for his soul.
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Image123(m): 8:44pm On Jul 14, 2011
@Martian
You should be ashamed being called a reader if you can't properly read the difference between 'suffering from racism' and being 'a racist', except you're a chinko reader like i suggested. i'd be worried if you were pleased with my posts, we're not supposed to have a prior agreement in such matters.
Now again on your stats and worries, like i told you earlier, life's more than links, get a real life. It's unfortunate how you scrap for joy, with all these perfunctory 'lols' and sighs of my atheism is better than your religion. i don't have much time for that, i'm on the thread to talk 'souls' like yours. But to help intensify your irritations, humans are hopeful people. Humanity faces want, poverty, sickness, lack of knowledge, not majorly because of religion but because of sin. Those in poverty/illiteracy and the likes are the majority, and they look for a way out. If you're the way they see, they'd follow you. If they see the government as the way, they'd follow. If they keep hearing that religion is the way they'd follow religion, especially with the 'advert' But to help intensify your irritations, humans are hopeful people. Humanity faces want, poverty, sickness, lack of knowledge, not majorly because of religion but because of sin. Those in poverty/illiteracy and the likes are the majority, and they look for a way out. If you're the way they see, they'd follow you. If they see the government as the way, they'd follow. If they keep hearing that religion is the way they'd follow religion, especially with the 'advert'
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Image123(m): 9:11pm On Jul 14, 2011
^
The advert is influence. If anything gets advertised, it influences, especially if it offers hope 'on a free' like most religions seem to offer. It's not the religion that root caused the poverty/want, but it offers a way out. Poverty, sickness, illiteracy etc can be found amongst humans irrespective of religious affiliations. You don't just become literate or wealthy because you stop believing God exists. Atheists often think falsely that once someone doesn't believe in God, woah that guy's got to be smart/brilliant. The fact still remains that theists are also rich and literate. there are poor people who don't believe in God, there are prisoners, sick people, illiterates who don't believe in God. It also boils down to influence, humans submit to influence or adaptation. If you're well exposed, not just trotting without purpose, you'd see people from different walks of life. You'd see witchcraft, spiritism, magic and miracle also. If you're in the midst of church goers, you'd probably go to church, and vice versa. If you've never had real incidences, and no/little advert is made to you to take insurance, you may not. It's a similar case with poor people and rich. Moreover, Jesus himself and His apostles prophecied an increase in ungodliness in our time.ners, sick people, illiterates who don't believe in God. It also boils down to influence, humans submit to influence or adaptation. If you're well exposed, not just trotting without purpose, you'd see people from different walks of life. You'd see witchcraft, spiritism, magic and miracle also. If you're in the midst of church goers, you'd probably go to church, and vice versa. If you've never had real incidences, and no/little advert is made to you to take insurance, you may not. It's a similar case with poor people and rich. Moreover, Jesus himself and His apostles prophecied an increase in ungodliness in our time.
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Nobody: 3:45am On Jul 15, 2011
@ image123
It seems you read those two links i posted. Nice!!
I think these two factors apply to you.

Have lower levels of education.
Have less exposure to electronic media that increase intelligence

If you had more exposure to electronic media, you'd know a whole lot more. You'd know biblical "history" like the exodus never happened. You'd know the history of your religion, how absurd your claims are, how your religion is just recycled greek mythology. You'd know that the word soul is nothing but a metaphor and not a distinct entity that the ancients thought it was.

The advert is influence. If anything gets advertised, it influences, especially if it [b]offers hope 'on a free' like most religions[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] seem to offer[/b]
I guess that's one of the reasons you are a christian. It offers hope "on a free". lol. Anyway, a highly educated populace will have a progressive society and create social safety nets so that they don't need hope "on a free". The oil windfall of the past couple of years could be used for that, but we know that will never happen.

Jesus himself and His apostles prophecied an increase in ungodliness in our time.ners, sick people, illiterates who don't believe in God

Illiterates who dont believe in god? Yeah right! Who do you think makes up the majority of christians if its not the illiterate? Jesus prophesied? Was jesus specific about the time and place when he made those prophecies or were his prophecies just as vague as his modern day prophets?. Christians are always quick to say that we live in “perilous” times to justify their fear mongering to the ignorant. Look back at history and you’ll see that we are always in “perilous” times. Climate change happens regardless of human influence, wars happen, famine, death, natural disasters, diseases etc. All these things have always happened and they will always happen, but that doesn’t mean the world is getting worse and your god is floating down from space anytime soon. Compare 2010 to 1942, what year was more perilous?

If you're well exposed, not just trotting without purpose, you'd see people from different walks of life. You'd see witchcraft, spiritism, magic and miracle also.
Actually if you were well exposed then you wouldn’t “see” and believe in witchcraft, magic, spiritism and miracles. lmao
Education enhances rational thinking and provides people with rational, non-mystical mechanisms for understanding the world. In short, education provides people with the opportunity to seek a rational alternative to religious dogma."
Re: Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul? by Image123(m): 10:01am On Jul 15, 2011
electronic media that
increase or electronic media that encourage your 'delusions'. So you think i'm among the poor and uneducated. You have serious complexes. So you just feel, once i say there's no God, i'm genius or something. You should be wondering why non religious people are still struggling below a bloated 50% in your revered developed countries, and why we have religious people in the major organisations and governments and tertiary institutions. You see, i'm not interested in all these your petty scraps for happiness(my atheism is winning converts go and read). Stay on the thread or go watch some film or whatever other scraps of joy you can find. Do you have emotions, do you have a will, do you have a mind? It's so simple, if yes, that's the soul. All these beer parlor talk of no its lobe, no it's cortex interlaced with your religious perplexities, i no get time.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

27 Minutes To Midnight 2012 Edition/elisha Goodman / How Old Was Mary When She Gave Birth To Jesus? / Gospel Rap Songs, Good Or Bad As A Christian?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.