Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,042 members, 7,956,886 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 09:32 PM

What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? (10840 Views)

Heavy Rain Causes Flooding In Kano City (photos) / Pictures Of New Flooding In Benue State!!!! / Flooding In Kogi To Last Till November (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jul 10, 2011
shocked shocked shocked shocked
what can be done? this needs to stop

Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by BABE3: 10:21pm On Jul 10, 2011
What can be done? Errrmmm---Drain the water?
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jul 10, 2011
bad water drainage!! That don't look like sea water at all, heavy downpour is a the convicted!!

But people building housing with no plan for drainage system is like investing in vcr in this day and time!!!

You know what to do to stop the water from getting into your house!! simple channeled in house drainage will help and you can have barriers on all four of your house to stop water from gettin in!

I'm just brain storming ni ooo lol I'm not an architect or whatever has to do with building lol!!!
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jul 10, 2011
Drainage/ sewage system. Pavement road, not road made out of mud/sand.

Its that simple.
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by blacksta(m): 1:53pm On Jul 11, 2011
What happened to all the Gutters - We dont need Billion Dollar drainage systems in Lagos - what we are are cleared gutters and canals
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by ezeagu(m): 4:48pm On Jul 11, 2011
I don't even understand what's so hard about digging and tiling an underground sewer.
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by teeboyseve(m): 5:41pm On Jul 11, 2011
Damn, thats bad.
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by tit(f): 5:43pm On Jul 11, 2011
constructing drains would be long term.
i am sure they have a terrain model of affected areas,
some pumps and hoses should be deployed to get the water from pooling in the susceptible areas.
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by armyofone(m): 5:53pm On Jul 11, 2011
i pity the owner of that house above. how will he dry those expensive chair  grin
stop building house/home anyhow, good drinage system etc
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by preselect(m): 5:56pm On Jul 11, 2011
What can be done to stop the flood? Uhm stop the rain! cool
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Roland17(m): 5:57pm On Jul 11, 2011
Although more needs to be built, i believe Drainage systems already exist in Lagos, but they were not properly built and channeled also as a result of the bad environmental Lifestyle of many Lagosians, who continually dump refuse on the road whenever it rains or dump refuse and waste inside flowing gutters, it has become very difficult for water to flow through this drainage systems to their channeled destination.
Also understanding the topography of a particular area before constructing roads is inevitable, the effort of the government can not help this situation alone, we see our neighbours commit environmentally unsafe practices like throwing refuse in a flowing drainage yet we don't stop them, the resultant effect would affect all. we can minimize flooding in Lagos state, if we imbibe good environmental lifestyle,
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by jmaine: 6:05pm On Jul 11, 2011
Allocation and planning of lands for residential housing purposes need to be revisited . . .a quick peek at Ikorodu especially the crowded Agric area revealed one thing . . . Sprawling mansions built without drainage systems . . that really knocked me off the idea of getting a land in that axis to build a house no matter how cheap it is . . I had to tell my friends to forget the idea of trying to convince me cos i knew the lack of a good drainage system is a recipe for disaster . .and we are currently being served chillingly cold this time embarassed
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by chei: 6:21pm On Jul 11, 2011
Surely not by talking
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Koolking(m): 6:27pm On Jul 11, 2011
Dearth of drainages and shoddy road constructions. Improper sewage disposals. govt policy on urbanisation (issues on housing can be taken up by govt in order to address the problems of wanton erection of houses/constructions on waterways). The problem boils down to vision-less and incompetencies of govt.

If these trends can be revised, there will be a sort of relief
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by hackney(m): 6:51pm On Jul 11, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Drainage/ sewage system. Pavement road, not road made out of mud/sand.

Its that simple.

My ribs wan crack oo.
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Nymphnode(m): 6:55pm On Jul 11, 2011
ezeagu:

I don't even understand what's so hard about digging and tiling an underground sewer.
 How do you plan to maintain the underground sewers when the [over ground] ones is being clogged deliberately.
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by N101: 7:02pm On Jul 11, 2011
Roland17:

Although more needs to be built, i believe Drainage systems already exist in Lagos, but they were not properly built and channeled also as a result of the bad environmental Lifestyle of many Lagosians, who continually dump refuse on the road whenever it rains or dump refuse and waste inside flowing gutters, it has become very difficult for water to flow through this drainage systems to their channeled destination.
Also understanding the topography of a particular area before constructing roads is inevitable, the effort of the government can not help this situation alone, we see our neighbours commit environmentally unsafe practices like throwing refuse in a flowing drainage yet we don't stop them, the resultant effect would affect all. we can minimize flooding in Lagos state, if we imbibe good environmental lifestyle,

I agree with you about drainage systems.  Where I live the drains are supposed to lead to a river (forgotten which one).  The reality is that drains are "stand alone" i.e. don't lead to anywhere, if they exist at all.  One drain was full of green algae water since the last rains and throughout the dry season.  And the people who live near it just walk across the bridge and totally ignore it.  All I know is once the rains start again that "drain" will overflow.

Poor drainage is a simple example of short-term thinking that seems endemic.
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by olaezebala: 7:09pm On Jul 11, 2011
ask the fools to dropping refuse everywhere to stop the sinfull act
and pary for the dry season to come quick
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by tunde300us(m): 7:34pm On Jul 11, 2011
If u like build the best drainage system in the world,when natural disaster wan happen, ur drainage go be like straw inside ocean.No state in Nigeria can experience the amount of rain that came down yesterday and not come down worse.

Its a sign of global warming and that is the root of all this issues.And the pic there was taken sometime last year, during the ikorodu water issue not yesterday oh
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Oloweo(m): 7:53pm On Jul 11, 2011
The state government is doing is best to avoid this problem as for me i will say is all in our hands. FOR US TO BE FREE FROM FLOOD IS UNDER OUR CONTROL!! How? By keeping our drainages clean. if our drainages is not clean then we will still be having this same problem continously. Although, we that are doing this bad act might not be affected, the innocent one's suffer for it embarassed and always remember the bible says LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOUR AS U LOVE YOUR SELF!!! Please lets have a change of act,BLESSED YOU
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Kobojunkie: 7:59pm On Jul 11, 2011
@Poster, the answer is you hire people into Government so they can get to work fixing the drainage issue in the state. undecided

Oh wait! You already did that when you elected your governor, reps and so on. So, now the problem is not that you don't have people in government to fix the problem but that they are probably not doing what they ought to be doing at an emergency pace since the flooding you see today, is come to be regular occurrence in your state.
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jul 11, 2011
I honestly dont pity the owner of that house except he/she is a tenant. I'm already very tired of advicing people to raise their house far above the future road level in esp in the island. They always feels you want to waste their money.

If the roads r flooded, its govt problem, If your house is flooded, its ur problem. (not refering to tenants anyway)

ADVICE 2 ALL: If you must build in Lagos, be prepared to raise your house so high above the future road level. That way you house is safe. Stop being Penny wise and Pounds foolish
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by chumakk: 8:19pm On Jul 11, 2011
design5:

I honestly dont pity the owner of that house except he/she is a tenant. I'm already very tired of advicing people to raise their house far above the future road level in esp in the island. They always feels you want to waste their money.

If the roads r flooded, its govt problem, If your house is flooded, its your problem. (not refering to tenants anyway)

ADVICE 2 ALL: If you must build in Lagos, be prepared to raise your house so high above the future road level. That way you house is safe. Stop being Penny wise and Pounds foolish

Good advise. I wish my landlord got it BUT too late because my room and his got flooded yesterday.

Do you pity me grin
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Fhemmmy: 8:34pm On Jul 11, 2011
This is bad for a nation where insurance of properties are not common.
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by ezeagu(m): 8:37pm On Jul 11, 2011
Nymph node:

How do you plan to maintain the underground sewers when the [over ground] ones is being clogged deliberately.

The idea of overground sewers is only imaginable in the Medieval ages and in 2011 Nigeria. Sewers are supposed to be away from (live) human beings. There can be people who tend to man holes and who are given proper equipment to make sure the sewers work properly, it's not hard.
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by ezeagu(m): 8:40pm On Jul 11, 2011
This is how the Japanese . . . .(why are you laffing nau? embarassed) . . . this is how the Japanese. . . . (please). . . . . Alright this is how the Japanese  (angry mind yourself oh!) . . . . . .

Anyway this is the Japanese way of dealing with flooding.

[center][img]http://1.bp..com/_NpINLHeo8rM/RptohVQalaI/AAAAAAAADUI/-aXr0vSk3YY/s1600/Japanese%2Bsewers%2B(10).jpg[/img][/center]

http://www.crookedbrains.net/2007/07/japanese-sewers-photo-gallery-first.html
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Dream1: 8:56pm On Jul 11, 2011
First, I'll like to point out that the guttering system in Lagos is by far the worst i have seen. I really don't see the point in digging up gutters if they don't lead anywhere. It really does defeat the meaning of the work "DRAINAGE". I'll also like to commend the state government for their efforts so far in combating environmental crime and actually setting up an flood disaster team. For me the solution to the drainage problem is one that'll combine well constructed roads, closed guttering system to avoid dumping of refuse that blocks up the gutters and an underground sewer system. This does not have to cost billions of Naira. This can be constructed in phases prioritizing the high flood disaster areas first.
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jul 11, 2011
ezeagu:

This is how the Japanese . . . .(why are you laffing nau? embarassed) . . . this is how the Japanese. . . . (please). . . . . Alright this is how the Japanese  (angry mind yourself oh!) . . . . . .

Anyway this is the Japanese way of dealing with flooding.

[center][img]http://1.bp..com/_NpINLHeo8rM/RptohVQalaI/AAAAAAAADUI/-aXr0vSk3YY/s1600/Japanese%2Bsewers%2B(10).jpg[/img][/center]

http://www.crookedbrains.net/2007/07/japanese-sewers-photo-gallery-first.html
DO YOU REALLY KNOW HOW MUCH THIS MUST COST! MOREOVER WE CANT DO IT OURSELVES, FOREIGN GUYS WILL DO IT MEANING X2 OF THE COST THE ABOVE PROJECT!
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jul 11, 2011
MY SUGGESTION IS FOR THE GOVERNOR TO CLOSE HIS EYES AND DE-CONGEST LAGOS!
ADVANTAGE; LESS HOUSES
LESS CARS
EASY TO ENFORCE A LAW AGAINST DISPOSAL OF RUBBISH IN TO THE DRAINAGE!(COS OF LESS PEOPLE)
lagos is over populated that some grown up men even open their fuckn nyash and poo in the river ignoring the look of passer by! i saw this one with my eye, imagine lagos!
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by FLYBOY(m): 9:12pm On Jul 11, 2011
We are all to blame.

Look at our houses and compounds, CONCRETE, PAVING STONES etc.
Where do we want the water to drain to, Naturally, water would have seeped into the earth.
Compounded by the fact that we are all guilty of throwing polyethylene "pure water" bags away without a care.
sand filling building in natural drainage channels, etc

Still all this can be remedied with immediate action.
Laws should be enacted and enforced looking into all the above factors.

My eipini worth
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by EzeUche(m): 9:16pm On Jul 11, 2011
The yankees have a saying that the buck stops here.

Well the naira stops at Fashola and ACN! angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FG Signs Agreements With Power Privatisation Bid Winners / Mantu Never Rigged Elections For Us, PDP Replies APC / Osinbajo: FG Spent Over ₦8.9 Trillion On Infrastructure Projects In 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.