Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,400 members, 7,826,555 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) (57540 Views)

Afghan Girls Stage Protest, Demand Taliban Reopen Schools (Photos) / New Kano Almajiri Boarding Schools (Photos) / Akwa Ibom Pencils Used In American Schools (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Rich4god(m): 9:42pm On May 03, 2022
2braithe:

So you believe in using pain and inhumane treatment to correct?

Try it abroad and see.

You no see how useless abroad dey now.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by faceland: 9:44pm On May 03, 2022
As an adult, I now know that most of the teachers at NEPA Staffs School Sapele were frustrated animals (back in the mid 90's).

Imagine not coming to school because you fainted and was taken to hospital, then one useless teacher want to beat you because you didn't send latter through someone else that you would miss school.

When I look at 8 and 10 years old now, I can't comprehend how an adult would beat them over "wrong answer" until they cry and lose their voice... As an adult, I was in a city that Boko Haram tried to take over with bombs and guns but wasn't as scared as when a teacher calls me to answer questions as a child (my legs use to shake like cartoon back then, when a teacher calls me to answer questions)

In the school I use to carry last in class (repeated primary 2 two times). Left the school and started carrying 2nd position (only because the boy carrying 1st was a genius).

I am for discipline but against abuse.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by kodded(m): 9:47pm On May 03, 2022
Vinnie2000:
SMH. Just see some Nairalanders calling flogging, 'child abuse'. Copy copy Africans. Some of you don't know dat children misbehave alot. Hence some Aggressive disciplinary styles lets dem know dier wrong.
so d best way is to treat that child like an animal?

Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Ericnrm(m): 9:52pm On May 03, 2022
Abc125:
MY HAND OH!!! Chaii. Rich men boys would not understand this pictures. I'm not sure lalasticlala experience any of this. grin grin grin cheesy

Bro I went to a private school and I can boldly tell you that they fvcked us up almost as bad!

If anybody knows Stella Maris boarding school in Abuja then they can testify grin
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Bamijoko1(m): 9:52pm On May 03, 2022
Notyourtype:
I'm a teacher.. That's how we add sense to their brain. If you don't punish them, they won't grow a single sense.
Taaaa abi u guys are just oppressing the little ones
If I catch mr izebe or mr mafe those two useless teacher really oppress us during my days at saint joseph boys secondary school surulere
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by okunwaye(m): 9:53pm On May 03, 2022
LollySeaSide:
These punishments were undoubtedly brutal and could be tagged inhumane but they surely shaped us into what we are today.
There are arguments in some quarters that some people still ended up irresponsible even after all the "tortures". While these arguments are true, it is on record that a far larger percentage of children during our days[b]came out of school well cultured[/b]not because their parents did all the job, but because their teachers were given enough authority to teach and to train.
These days, children are so unlucky that their parents fight schools and teachers whenever serious attempts are made to thoroughly discipline them.
How unfortunate!!
well cultured people who cannot replicate such in their society.shmm
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Nobody: 9:54pm On May 03, 2022
I cut grass tire for Maryland comprehensive

1 Like

Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by okunwaye(m): 9:57pm On May 03, 2022
1sde
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Mrikay94(m): 9:59pm On May 03, 2022
Ladymogana:
Na today you know say naija na bush. If i wasn't strong, my chemistry teacher would have killed me with cane because i don't know to name of H20..
Lolz �����
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by faebenezer5star: 10:00pm On May 03, 2022
Thestormisover:
I just pray the day i will jamm my physics teacher for road. I go let am know say - both ohm's and hook's where not my brother, neither newton.
����� lol
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by 2braithe: 10:01pm On May 03, 2022
Rich4god:

It's useless yet hundreds of Nigerians are queuing at their embassy daily for visa.

Make e dey useless.We like the uselessness like that grin
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by blackparadise: 10:03pm On May 03, 2022
Dorwadora:
Lol.... This thread reminds me of iganmode grammar school. Even with their prestige of producing great students, their way of discipline was wack.
what year ? What are your experiences, am talking of 190s and year 2000
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by BISIXCLUSIVE: 10:06pm On May 03, 2022
That was how my Yoruba teacher collect some years After sec sch, my male friends dey inside mapoly shuttle one day, na so he just look inside one taxi beside there shuttle and saw our sec sch Yoruba teacher for front seat,immediately my guy alarted his other 3 friends wey dey inside bus with him say he wan perform drama make Dem come down , na so his friends obey , Dem come down from bus go straight to the taxi, order the teacher to come down con begin to ask her diff question. " Did u know us? She said no, we be that bastard, that omo oshi, that unfortunate kids wey u dey always curse during your Yoruba period class for sec sch ooo, all because we can't afford Yoruba textbook, we be that student wey u go beat marcilessly saying we can never make it, na polytechnic I dey now ooo, others dey University ooo, mama where is your car? Where are your children now?Na so madam dey speechless ooo, everybody inside taxi dey beg on her behalf thinking my guys Dem be cultist grin grin, she was so scared that she couldn't say anything, she can't even move, she was just begging, some parent inside the taxi was like " mama u no try at all" why will u be cursing your student when u know it is not there fault to get a textbook, she was so ashamed of herself, dey even video her grin
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Dorwadora(f): 10:07pm On May 03, 2022
blackparadise:
what year ? What are your experiences, am talking of 190s and year 2000
Good evening sir..... I graduated with the 2014 set.... Didn't have the late 190s and early 2000 experience smiley
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Vinnie2000(m): 10:08pm On May 03, 2022
kodded:
so d best way is to treat that child like an animal?

Not like animals but flogging is necessary when u have stubborn students. During my NYSC, was having ur mindset, but when i see rude, arrogant, mischief-making students, i use cane by force! Some children will NOT see dier faults properly if Strong punishments is not involved.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Iboyx: 10:11pm On May 03, 2022
abbey621:

It still remains the best method because Africans we are naturally stubborn. Compare African and Asian secondary school students to those in the USA and you'll discover when it comes to Maths, English and Science, we outpace them by a huge margin. Go to Japan and China, see how their kids are dealt with if they don't perform well in their studies, it makes them highly competitive, no wonder na dem dey dominate I.T and mathematical fields. Sometimes when I want to hire a new team member, I'll interview 20 black and white Americans only for them to be blown away by the only African candidate or that Raj guy from India. It still amazes me till date.
In as much as we outpace them it doesn't necessarily mean it's cause of those punishments.
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Vinnie2000(m): 10:15pm On May 03, 2022
Dorwadora:
Good evening sir..... I graduated with the 2014 set.... Didn't have the late 190s and early 2000 experience smiley
Na really Good evening sir
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by LordErrk: 10:18pm On May 03, 2022
matm:

My dear, teachers are not demons.Think of d reasons u were flogged, and u will see u were block head then.
I passed through school but was rarely flogged.
However, I would advise teachers not to flog for offences like sleeping in d class which is involuntary action.If u must flog, flog only on palm or buttocks.Dont flog on head or all over d body lest d student interprets it wrongly.And give only few strokes.

Oh yes I was a block head then...a very thick one at that, and known for being always behind the class, and that was because I just didn't know how to learn, nor had the appropriate motivation to do so. The teachers just did what they knew how to do best...humiliate
It was after I finished secondary school that I knew what I wanted to do, and why I wanted to do it. I didn't go straight to university, I had to spend 3 years with teachers who actually cared (I did something totally unrelated to the typical school curriculum)
My point remains, the only true way a student can be willing to learn is by showing love and encouragement. Being harsh only scares them, and its almost an impossible task to learn whilst being scared.
Secondly, I don't believe any student is a block head...except he/she has some kind of disorder

2 Likes

Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by yemi1504: 10:22pm On May 03, 2022
Vinnie2000:
SMH. Just see some Nairalanders calling flogging, 'child abuse'. Copy copy Africans. Some of you don't know dat children misbehave alot. Hence some Aggressive disciplinary styles lets dem know dier wrong.

Abi
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by oxygenlove(m): 10:24pm On May 03, 2022
Abc125:
are they suppose to be even flogging us going to school, enough of all this shitt jor
are you a teacher?
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Vinnie2000(m): 10:24pm On May 03, 2022
Rich4god:

Homosexuality, trangender, open marriage and plenty rubbish! It is important for an organisation or society to have mild or harsh disciplinary codes. Humans cant manage freedom without abusing it!

1 Like

Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by dbestuncle: 10:25pm On May 03, 2022
In discipline, environment plays a cardinal role. If only u teach in some of this schools and discover how difficult it gets to correct this kids who are already rascals except that you don't want to use the words rascal for them.
If it's in some countries you have things that you can say or do that will pain them. But here what do you do. Suspend them from sch n they will be happier

Giftlove11:
I don't see anything wrong with the student kneeling down, but why are thy carrying block on their head, Are they thieves?
let stop to abusing of children in nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by drezzyx(m): 10:25pm On May 03, 2022
I only have 5 of my teachers way back in mind.
Its just a pity i never came across any of them.

Don't ask me what will i do.
I pray i never come across them.

I remembered when students planned to burn our VP's car on inter-house sport day, God saved him.

Upon all the unnecessary flogging it never taught me anything in life,but made me a bitter person toward them.
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by yemi1504: 10:29pm On May 03, 2022
EverBlazingy2k:
Who ever criticised this will not be a good father/mother. Our children are very stubborn, insulting and violent.

They need strong hand.

You can say that again!
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by abbey621(m): 10:30pm On May 03, 2022
Iboyx:

In as much as we outpace them it doesn't necessarily mean it's cause of those punishments.

Believe me discipline has a lot to do with it. When we look at everything else, we have less access to updated educational materials, poorer facilities and more stress and sometimes poor nutrition. Na we suppose be the olodos given all that we go through, seriously if you pulled most of these whites or black Americans and have them earn their education in 9ja, they would rather die than face 20% of what we encountered.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by yemi1504: 10:33pm On May 03, 2022
Vinnie2000:
Not like animals but flogging is necessary when u have stubborn students. During my NYSC, was having ur mindset, but when i see rude, arrogant, mischief-making students, i use cane by force! Some children will NOT see dier faults properly if Strong punishments is not involved.

Abi
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by SaintNegro77: 11:11pm On May 03, 2022
You are a slowpoke for posting this. Look at your so called present generation that sees discipline as outdated. Get lost my friend.
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by Gee64: 11:16pm On May 03, 2022
There was this teacher of Geography who would want to ask questions that have no answer like:
What's the Capital of Europe?

If give an answer, it's a wrong answer and you receive a sharp knock on the head.
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by kodded(m): 11:28pm On May 03, 2022
Vinnie2000:
so after floging them, did they change

Na this kind archaic thinking dey keep africa for 18th century while the world don move to 21st century
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by RexTramadol1: 11:35pm On May 03, 2022
Dorwadora:
Lol.... This thread reminds me of iganmode grammar school. Even with their prestige of producing great students, their way of discipline was wack.

Omo Iganmode

Ni Oju Ore

U sabi.
Re: How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) by RexTramadol1: 11:38pm On May 03, 2022
The second pinshure tho’

Be like the two of dem go shag for back of school

Makes me remember one Togolese boy wey com our school dah year com dey kpansh the babes for him class for uncompleted buildings

As dem catch dem, tell us for assembly Naso we rechristen am from Togolese to Dobolese

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

FUTA Student Who Was Reported Missing Found. See What Happened. Photos / Osun University Student Commits Suicide After Posting Messages On WhatsApp / The 'Anti-Cheating' Exam Hats Used By Students In Philippines (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.