Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,123 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi (4542 Views)

Fayemi, Sumaila And Some Other Entourage Of Buhari Take A Street Pix In US / Buhari Introduces His Grandchildren To Fayemi, Amaechi (Photo) / Any State Govt That Ignores Igbos Does So At The Risk Of Its Economy - Suswan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by OAM4J: 4:04am On Jul 18, 2011
[size=13pt]Nigeria runs the risk of collapse —Fayemi[/size]

In this interview with OLUSOLA FABIYI in Abuja, the Governor of Ekiti State, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, spoke on the desire of the states in the South-West to form a regional block to promote growth and development in the zone. He also talked about the contentious minimum wage and other issues.

Eight states that were formally in the defunct Western Region recently met in Ado-Ekiti to deliberate on how to come together for the development of the region. What is the essence of the meeting and why now?

It is about development, and development has no party colour as far as we are concerned. If you look at the entire stretch from Lagos to Delta, at least three parties re present there: we have the Peoples Democratic Party in Delta while the Labour Party rules in Ondo State. Of course, the Action Congress of Nigeria is in control in six other states. But one thing that unites all of us is the demand of our people for progress and we have no solid explanation to give them that 50 years after independence, it is not possible for our people to enjoy life more abundant.

But how do we do that in our individual states with all the challenges that we face unless we find a way to pool our resources together? Ekiti cannot on its own, in the shortest possible time put up a rail. In the array of the competing needs that we have, that will not even be our priority but in the larger context of the West, it is important to have a rail line, call it Great Western Rail from Lagos to Edo or Delta which makes it possible for me to wake up in Ado Ekiti at 7am and walk into my office at 9am in Lagos and leave that same office at 5pm having dinner at home in Ado Ekiti at 7pm. Imagine the impact that will have on rural urban drift and on the employment situation in the entire region.

But you have Oodua…

(Cuts in) Yes, but Oodua covered only five states, excluding Lagos, Edo and Delta. Of course, they have their own initiatives as well but the important thing for us is to try a regional development paradise. The Nigerian nation is work in progress. We are unapologetic believer in the Nigerian project. We want the Nigerian project to really be achieved and perhaps one way to do that is for those who have ethnic, political and historical link to pool their resources in a manner that they can achieve a quicker phase of development. It is happening in the South-South. They have a commission. We are beyond that and our expectation is that we will succeed. But even if some of us or all of us choose not to fully come on board, it still will not diminish the importance of what we are doing. We have come to a conclusion that it will be best for us to focus on areas of need and also look at our own areas of comparative advantage and learn from each other.

Delta State was not part of the meeting. Was the state invited?

Delta was invited. What we are doing, there are two sides to the argument, I don’t want to give an impression that we had a consensus on what should be a western region. Don’t forget Delta and Edo are currently in the South-South Commission as they call themselves but some of us feel strongly that there are core values that drove the agenda then; those core values are still core values associated with us in our western Nigeria. Education is important in the region, infrastructure is critical to us, industrial development and of course, agriculture. The Edo-Delta belt is the rubber belt of the old western region, the Cocoa belt is here in Ondo, Oyo, Ekiti but these were things that we used to do together. During the 1995 constitutional conference, there was this Alex Ekwueme’s suggestion of six zones, but there is an attempt to make them organic by pooling things together within them, even if we reduced it to just too current notion of the South-West, it is the necessity of the idea that is important to us, it is not who comes in or goes out. It is like the Niger Delta. There are people who talk about the Niger Delta, and there are people who talk about the nine states in the Niger Delta which include Ondo, Edo, Abia. So, what we are also saying is that there is the core west and expanded west, the contiguity brings them together in a manner that they can still work together.

The recourse to regionalism, does it not suggest that the Nigerian nation is failing?

No, as a matter of fact, it is a sign that the Nigerian nation is becoming mature. These are things that create tension in the past, imagine the situation in which we are all organised for development within that geo-political frame. When we improve our situation, we are also improving the situation of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. The United Kingdom is not collapsed simply because you have a Scottish government, Whale government, if anything; it has reduced certain burden on the federal centre and also distributed responsibilities across board. For those of us who strongly feel that until and unless you have restructuring of the agenda, the old project Nigeria runs the risk of collapse that is why this strengthens Nigeria rather than undermine her.

Don’t you think that states like Delta and Ondo will see this as an ACN agenda?

If you decide that you won’t do something simply because of what people will say or because of the way you are going to be perceived, then I think leadership is not a prerogative you can ascribe. People will talk any way, if we are on our own, the governor of Ekiti State tells the government of Osun State, don’t come and talk to me about what will improve our situation, of course we will do it. But we are talking about rapid growth and development for our people. For example, everyday in Lagos, people live in Lagos, if you put it at lower end of 15 million, the official figure in Lagos is 15 million but we strongly believe it is far more than that, for people who consume food, even the most conservative estimate of N150 a day, N50 breakfast, N50 lunch and N50 dinner for each, we are talking N3bn market for food alone a day, N90bn a month, Lagos is not known to the best of my knowledge, to be an agriculture endowed state, except you are talking fisheries, the yam comes from outside and tomato from outside. So, we are saying let us have a development approach to this, why can’t the remaining seven of us, if you want to go by the maximalist definition or the five of us if your approach is to minimalist, be responsible in a negotiated arrangement where the common agriculture policy that says Ekiti you have a comparative advantage in yam, and rice and cassava, supply Ido, Ketu, Mile-two market regularly, get your farmers together in a cooperative that will enable us to do this.

What is wrong with the type of federalism that we practise?

We have made it clear that we do not know any country in the world that calls itself a federation that has 68 items on its Exclusive List Items that no Federal Government should be involved in it, primary education, primary healthcare, even roads. What is the business of the FG with roads in my state? There are so many things that are defective, and we keep pointing out this, beyond the issue of revenue allocation sharing formula, that in itself is a product of the militarisation that this country has experienced over the years and it is the same militarisation that was responsible for the unitarisation of the Nigerian state. That is why we are clear about an agenda of restructuring for the Nigerian state because we also believe that the closer government is to them, the more accountable it is likely to be to the people. Ninty-nine per cent of Nigerians do not know where Abuja is, they have never been there and the idea that 66 per cent of the resources of this country is consumed in Abuja is also what tends to some of the expenditure we see because there is so much money at the centre and they often don’t know what to do with it. I read the federal budget and you see some descriptions there that just bother the mind.

Is it the defective federal structure that made the governors’ forum to say they will not pay the new minimum wage unless the revenue allocation was addressed and the oil subsidy removed?

Governors met and we said the new minimum wage is an Act of a National Assembly, we are law abiding citizens. In fact, it is our responsibility to enforce the law in our various jurisdictions, the issue of ‘won’t pay’ stage does not arise for government to the best of my knowledge, at least for the ACN governors. I know we have no issue with the payment of minimum wage. One of the things that we see in this federal structure is that it is not the business of the FG to determine what the individual state must pay its workers. Look at the history of the minimum wage anywhere in the world, it protects the most vulnerable sector of the working class, those who are not tenured, those who do not have condition of service, in many country where you have minimum wage, it relates to hourly wage and who are the people who are paid hourly? It is those who don’t have permanent employment.

It is only in Nigeria that we want to convert minimum wage into a permanent wage arrangement and we feel that that is not the right thing to do. So what governors are saying is that the resources to pay are not there; we do not want to sack workers because we believe that they are the engine room of this democracy and for some of us, who come from a social democratic background, it is an aftermath to us not wanting to pay minimum wage. Ultimately, I believe that we will pay, as we have said. The ACN governors, we issued a statement and decided that we will pay but we will have to return to the question of what is this country, what are our responsibilities, what is the inter-governmental relationship meant to be because if we don’t resolve all these issues, we are all digging a hole to which we are all going to fall one day.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201107182293917
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 4:29am On Jul 18, 2011
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

It's already on!!!!

Whether Nigeria works or not doesn't depend on the North!!

It depends on everyone in this seemingly unrealistic union!!

Look at these initiatives, we are talking people with great minds here,

It will work!! It will but bloc by bloc i.e each bloc develop themselves, lehgoo!!!
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by EzeUche(m): 4:30am On Jul 18, 2011
I am tired of hearing this same topic. Why wont it collapse already?
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by aljharem3: 4:40am On Jul 18, 2011
na wa oo

is this what ACN is elected to do
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 4:41am On Jul 18, 2011
alj_harem:

na wa oo

is this what ACN is elected to do

What is he (ACN) doing?
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by aljharem3: 4:45am On Jul 18, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

What is he (ACN) doing?

Sorry I mean, is he not meant to be focused on the development of his state.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 4:47am On Jul 18, 2011
alj_harem:

Sorry I mean, is he  not meant to be focused on the development of his state.

Oh are we talking about him now or about ACN?

[b]If [/b]you read the article, you'll realize that 95% of the conversation was centered on regional development. Sth SW ACN was "elected" to be doing.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by aljharem3: 4:54am On Jul 18, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Oh are we talking about him now or about ACN?

[b]If [/b]you read the article, you'll realize that 95% of the conversation was centered on regional development. Sth SW ACN was "elected" to be doing.

Yes I read the article properly. Ok I forgot ACN is for regional development and not National
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 4:56am On Jul 18, 2011
alj_harem:

Yes I read the article properly. Ok I forgot ACN is for regional development and not National

ACN is a national party, sweety. But the ACN of the SW want regional development. That was the point of voting out PDP. The ACN of the SS/SE have the right to do the same.

SW simply wants federalism is all.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by aljharem3: 4:57am On Jul 18, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

ACN is a national party, sweety. But the ACN of the SW want regional development. That was the point of voting out PDP. The ACN of the SS/SE have the right to do the same.

SW simply wants federalism is all.

Ok I get your point. thanks wink
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 4:59am On Jul 18, 2011
alj_harem:

Sorry I mean, is he  not meant to be focused on the development of his state.

Yeah he was voted to develop his state and whatever develops  SW will develop his state,

didn't you read the part where he talks about farmers in his state selling their produce in the Lagos food market which is worth close to 1trillion naira a year?

Read the entire thing; don't be Lazy!!

For all I know, Ekiti is not alimoni Iyorn for no reason lol!! Ileke Idi is probably swallowing Iyorn right now lol, 

Ekiti state's survival has basically been hugely dependent on their farmers who not only harvest year round, they make the prices very very affordable to the masses!!!

Their political class is a shame though but the average ekiti family has a farm hence providing food and some money for them and also indirectly protecting their dignity from modern shame we call modern civilization!
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 5:03am On Jul 18, 2011
For all I know, Ekiti is not alimoni Iyan for no reason lol!! Ileke Idi is probably munching Iyan right now lol,

Not tonight, I did this afternoon tho. One mugu Nigerian man wanted to be nice. cheesy
I'm sure the dude is you sha. T*, is this you?

Jor maa da lohun. cheesy

Their political class is a shame though

So which state iin Nigeria has a "classy" political system? Abeg,
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by aljharem3: 5:05am On Jul 18, 2011
9jaganja:

Yeah he was voted to develop his state and whatever develops  SW will develop his state,

didn't you read the part where he talks about farmers in his state selling their produce in the Lagos food market which is worth close to 1trillion naira a year?

For all I know, Ekiti is not alimoni Iyorn for no reason lol!! Ileke Idi is probably swallowing Iyorn right now lol, 

Ekiti state's survival has basically been hugely dependent on their farmers who not only harvest year round, they make the prices very very affordable to the masses!!!

Their political class is a shame though but the average ekiti family has a farm hence providing food and some money for them and also indirectly protecting their dignity from modern shame we call modern civilization!

i love his idea. he shows he is selfless. I commend  the man
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 5:18am On Jul 18, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Not tonight, I did this afternoon tho. One mugu Nigerian man wanted to be nice. cheesy
I'm sure the dude is you sha. T*, is this you?

Jor maa da lohun. cheesy

So which state iin Nigeria has a "classy" political system? Abeg,

Hahahahaha lol me? where? how? can't be me. I haven't talked to any one on NL is my life lol, It'll be cool if I meet some when I get back to 9ja still,

Yeah the entire nation has a shame for political class!!
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 5:20am On Jul 18, 2011
9jaganja:

Hahahahaha lol me? where? how? can't be me. I haven't talked to any one on NL is my life lol, It'll be cool if I meet some when I get back to 9ja still,

Yeah the entire nation has a shame for political class!!

Why, how soon are they deporting you back? grin cheesy
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by mamagee3(f): 5:21am On Jul 18, 2011
Which collapse? grin

Fayemi is likely to collapse before Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 5:48am On Jul 18, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Why, how soon are they deporting you back? grin cheesy

lol hahahaha,  I come back every December lol,

Unless the constitution states that every black man INCLUDING mixed race should be deported with immediate effect lol!!!!
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 5:56am On Jul 18, 2011
Why are you always emphasizing on the mixed part of your heritage. Are you saying you're too good for us pure NIgerians? angry
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Makbo: 6:26am On Jul 18, 2011
Is Nigeria a nation? You have to address this issue first.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 6:29am On Jul 18, 2011
Makbo:

Is Nigeria a nation? You have to address this issue first.

Currently, under the UN's concept of nation, Nigeria is.

Any other question for Dr Kayode Fayemi?
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 6:52am On Jul 18, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Why are you always emphasizing on the mixed part of your heritage. Are you saying you're too good for us pure NIgerians? angry

NOOO cry cry cry cry cry cry you just reminded me of ppl who think I'm pompous becuz I'm mixed and gave me jungle bunny in elementary cry cry cry you suck for taking back to those days

I won't buy you slurpee angry angry angry tongue

I believe I'm more Nigerian than American and in all honesty can't wait to finish school and pack my bags!!

I was brought up a Yoruba and in all honesty proud of JUST THAT cuz I don't know and not interested in my CELTIC side!!!
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 6:56am On Jul 18, 2011
9jaganja:

NOOO cry cry cry cry cry cry

I believe I'm more Nigerian than American and in all honesty can't wait to finish school and pack my bags!!

I was brought up a Yoruba and in all honesty proud of JUST THAT cuz I don't know and not interested in my CELTIC side!!!

Can I make a guess? Your dad is the Yoruba one, no?

Celtic? That's a new one. I've met Yoruba/German, Yoruba/Mexican, Yoruba/Latvian, Yoruba/Kenyan etc. So Yoruba men fit go to the Celtic side too? E no dey surprise me.

That's actually interestingly cool!! Brought up a Yoruba? awww, omo daada. I'm proud of you.

Why arent you interested? I would.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 7:00am On Jul 18, 2011
9jaganja:

NOOO cry cry cry cry cry cry you just reminded me of ppl who think I'm pompous becuz I'm mixed and gave me jungle bunny in elementary cry cry cry you suck for taking back to those days

I won't buy you slurpee angry angry angry

Slurpees are too sugary. It's like sucking on sugar.

Buy me iyan instead.

awww I wont give you a jungle bunny sha. A chewing stick will do.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 7:07am On Jul 18, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Can I make a guess? Your dad is the Yoruba one, no?

Celtic? That's a new one. I've met Yoruba/German, Yoruba/Mexican, Yoruba/Latvian, Yoruba/Kenyan etc. So Yoruba men fit go to the Celtic side too? E no dey surprise me.

That's actually interestingly cool!! Brought up a Yoruba? awww, omo daada. I'm proud of you.

Why arent you interested? I would.

WRONG  tongue tongue tongue

Dad also mixed lol but his dad was Yoruba (Awori) and mom Celtic while my mom Yoruba/celtic , but her mom was Yoruba,

Basically celtics live in what is now Ireland, Wales and Scottland. My parents met in Ireland actually so not surprised lol!!

Go jor!! You reminded me of my stoopid elementary nick name angry angry angry

maybe cause I never got to know them lol!!
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 7:12am On Jul 18, 2011
Wow, interesting family heritage. If you want to mofiy your post, lemme know so that I can unquote. Too much information on NL.

Celtic. . . .really interesting.

Describe yourself, lemme know what a celtic/Yoruba can make grin

Even tho sjeezy claims he owns the curly hair trademark lipsrsealed shocked Sjeezy I believe is Yoruba/Native American undecided

So was your nickname "lepa shandy"?
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 7:27am On Jul 18, 2011
Hhahahahahaha lol

I'm tall, kinda skinny (No Lepa shandy), with white curly afro! (tired of dying lol) and green eyes,

Hahahahah I'm Oyimbo pepper in Lagos and jungle bunny in the US hahahahah,
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 7:33am On Jul 18, 2011
Green eyes on a black fella? shocked shocked shocked

Ok, lemme guess, later on on nl, we go find out you be one ajegule fella wey never leave Oshodi  tongue

I'm seriously not getting the picture of a black guy, green eyes, and white afro. Hmm do chocolate bunnies with white furs have green eyes?

Oyinbo pepper? So Lagosian, ko surprise me at all  undecided
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 7:38am On Jul 18, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Green eyes on a black fella? shocked shocked shocked

Ok, lemme guess, later on on nl, we go find out you be one ajegule fella wey never leave Oshodi  tongue

I'm seriously not getting the picture of a black guy, green eyes, and white afro. Hmm do chocolate bunnies with white furs have green eyes?

Oyinbo pepper? So Lagosian, ko surprise me at all  undecided

lol hahahahaha,  Don't be surprised jor, there are many more like me but they are mostly mixed

Hahahahaha I never actually left Nigeria cuz I go back every year for Grandma's sea cult gatherings,  naaa jungle bunny is a derogatory name for mixed kids lol courtesy of our white side!!!!

I left 9ja after high school in PH.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 7:42am On Jul 18, 2011
Never heard of jungle bunny sha.

"cult gatherings"? shocked

Ok o, goodnight sha.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 7:56am On Jul 18, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Never heard of jungle bunny sha.

"cult gatherings"? shocked

Ok o, goodnight sha.

Yeah her family worships the goddess of the sea,

I'm actually sleepy too lol!!!!! it's AM and still thumbing my keyboard on nl lol!!!
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Apesin001: 1:09pm On Jul 18, 2011
Pls. Everybody, hoe do we cope with this huge rate of unemployment, cos i am also a victim.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gej Has Break 20yrs Jinx / Biafra Female Soldiers(pix) / Gej Really Meant Well For Nigerians, Here Is Why (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.