Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,669 members, 7,837,473 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 03:42 AM

Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi (4550 Views)

Fayemi, Sumaila And Some Other Entourage Of Buhari Take A Street Pix In US / Buhari Introduces His Grandchildren To Fayemi, Amaechi (Photo) / Any State Govt That Ignores Igbos Does So At The Risk Of Its Economy - Suswan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jul 18, 2011
coming from some one who sacked 5,000 workers in a day,how heartless can a person be,he should just shup up and hold a discourse with his conscience
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Eziachi: 1:50pm On Jul 18, 2011
alj_harem:

na wa oo

is this what ACN is elected to do
Maybe you haven't heard that when two hands combined to wash each other, they're much cleaner or that "two heads are better than one".
Development do not happen in isolation and at the same time, hypothetically, In an overcrowded class, pupils/Students tend to perform badly.
The Nigeria you and most northerners wanted is always the over crowded arrangement, where political pick-pockets thrive. Because such a chaotic environment is what they prefers and it best suited them.

What Fayemi is saying is nothing new to me as a person. Because I had been saying it for the past three years here that Nigeria as its presently structured will never work.
The present structure encourages this unfounded fear that without oil the north will die, so anything involving regional grouping down South tend to set their pulse racing, because they think it one step towards losing the their addiction to Southern Oil wells .
But their own grouping? No problem!
I will like to see the Old East coming together like wise and formulate a regional development plan too.
Can you imagine a direct train linking Asaba-Onitsha-Port Harcourt-Aba- Uyo- Ikot Ekpene-Umuahia-Calabar-James Town-Awka-Owerri-Nnewi-Orlu etc?
It meant someone can work in Calabar and reside Ikot Abasi, just like Fayemi mentioned.
It means that they can pull their resources together and source for a reliable power supply.

No one can possibly hide a pregnacy for much longer as it must surely be seen soon rather than later, no matter how much you tried to cover it up,.
I think Nigeria will naturally writes its own obituary. Bravo to Fayemi and co and lets watch this space.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by CrudeOil2(m): 1:53pm On Jul 18, 2011
What we need is Resource Control. This would stop corruption in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Eziachi: 2:00pm On Jul 18, 2011
ehie:

coming from some one who sacked 5,000 workers in a day,how heartless can a person be,he should just shup up and hold a discourse with his conscience
And what would you know?
Nigerians like you should know by now that governance/govt is not in the mode of charity organisations. Their job is to collect taxes and use it in the best way possible for the tax payers. You cannot hire or keep staff you cannot afford to pay.
Only in Nigeria will you see an organisation (govt) willing to borrow with a high interest every month just to pay salaries of non productivity.
If his regional corporation ideas works, maybe your 5000 sacked workers will have better opportunities and will not be sacked afterall.
A good administrator is the one that takes hard and difficult decisions and that involves making hard choices.

I had once voted to remove my own wife from the board to save the business. We didn't speak for 24 hrs but she later realised that I was right and got over it. I could have sentimentally kept her, loses the business and then lose everything in the follow-up chain reaction that is to follow as a result.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Eziachi: 2:06pm On Jul 18, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Can I make a guess? Your dad is the Yoruba one, no?

Celtic? That's a new one. I've met Yoruba/German, Yoruba/Mexican, Yoruba/Latvian, Yoruba/Kenyan etc. So Yoruba men fit go to the Celtic side too? E no dey surprise me.

That's actually interestingly cool!! Brought up a Yoruba? awww, omo daada. I'm proud of you.

Why arent you interested? I would.
It means that one of his parent are of Scottish/Irish heritage, just like my wife.
It means my kids are Celtic-Biafrans grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
We learn new things everyday- don't we? grin
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by ektbear: 2:20pm On Jul 18, 2011
Lmao @ Ileke-Idi flirting hard grin

Anyway, this was a nice interview. I'm very much pro SW rail . . . as he points out, converting Ado-Ekiti and other towns to suburbs of Lagos would lead to massive development of the entire region.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by AVISENNA: 3:38pm On Jul 18, 2011
i am beginning to doubt the realism of our co-existence as a nation. The truth is  that northerners  have always been  misled .They did it in 1967.We think the igbo's lost the war but it helped define a lot of things and shape our history. They are busy killing people in the name if religion and stuffs like that because the elite's among them constantly misinform them.  This might  just be their undoing. How  our wish  that south , west, and eastern  governors could put sentiments aside and personal interest, bring out people back  home and kiss the north goodbye  ,then we will  know what this Boko- Haram bullshit is all about.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jul 18, 2011
It is a good development to develop the SW region as a whole but I think Fayemi should focus on infrastructural development in Ekiti. The infrastructure in that state especially Ado-Ekiti which is the state capital is so so poor!
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by ektbear: 3:49pm On Jul 18, 2011
koastar:

It is a good development to develop the SW region as a whole but I think Fayemi should focus on infrastructural development in Ekiti. The infrastructure in that state especially Ado-Ekiti which is the state capital is so so poor!

The point is that rail and improved transportation from Ekiti to Lagos would do far more for developing the state than pretty much anything the state government can do in even 100 years.

Improve transportation and allow people to live in Ekiti and work in Lagos and the state will be rapidly developed.

Improved transport to Lagos is pretty much one of the most important things the governors of the SW must do, if they really want Yorubaland to be developed. In my opinion (and evidently Fayemi's), at least.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Omoadugbo(m): 3:56pm On Jul 18, 2011
Hubert Ogunde said "Yoruba Ronu". And now Yoruba is THINKING. I Feel this is the Begining of Goodness in 'the WEST of NIGER. We can always Work in Support of This. Good-Good News I Think.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jul 18, 2011
Eziachi:

It means that one of his parent are of Scottish/Irish heritage, just like my wife.
It means my kids are Celtic-Biafrans grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
We learn new things everyday- don't we? grin

That's cool. So where did you meet her?

ekt_bear:

Lmao @ Ileke-Idi flirting hard grin

Anyway, this was a nice interview. I'm very much pro SW rail . . . as he points out, converting Ado-Ekiti and other towns to suburbs of Lagos would lead to massive development of the entire region.

I was? Oh gosh, my past is gaining up on me. I better stop cheesy

Eziachi:

And what would you know?
Nigerians like you should know by now that governance/govt is not a charity organisation. There job is to collect tax and use the best way possible for the tax payers. You cannot hire or keep staff you cannot afford to pay.
Only in Nigeria will an organisation (govt) will borrow with high interest every month to pay salary.
If his regional corporation ideals works, maybe your 5000 sack workers will have better opportunities and will not be sacked.
A good administrator is the one that takes hard and difficult decisions and that involves making hard choices.

I had once voted to remove my own wife from the board to save the business. We didn't speak for 24 hrs but she later realised that I was right and got over it. I could have sentimentally keep her, then lose the business and then lose everything in the follow-up chain reaction as a result.

Thanks for that explanation jare. No mind them.

Why should the Govt keep incompetent workers and workers it cannot afford?
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by tpia5: 4:41pm On Jul 18, 2011
Green eyes on a black fella?

there are quite a few green eyed nigerians with no known white heritage.

typically, such folks are girl magnets and considered terrible flirts, as far as i know.

could also be the girls dont allow them to rest, hence the stereotype.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by dayokanu(m): 4:42pm On Jul 18, 2011
Eziachi:

Maybe you haven't heard that when two hand combined to wash each other, they're much cleaner or two heads are better than one. Development do not happen in isolation and at the same time in an overcrowded class pupils tend to perform badly. The Nigeria you and most northerners wanted is an over crowded arrangement where political pick-pocketsthrive because such a chaotic environment is what they prefers.

What Fayemi is saying is nothing new to me as a person because I had been saying for the past three years here that Nigeria as its structured will never work and it encourages this unfounded fear that without oil the north will die, so anything involving regional grouping down south set their pulse raising because they think is one step  towards losing the their addiction to Southern Oil wells .
But their own grouping? No problem!
I will like to see the Old East come together like wise and formulate a regional development plan too.
Can you imagine a direct train linking Asaba-Onitsha-Port Harcourt-Aba- Uyo- Ikot Ekpene-Umuahia-Calabar-James Town-Awka-Owerri-Nnewi-Orlu etc?
It mean someone can work in Calabar and reside Ikot Abasi, just like Fayemi mentioned.
It means that they can pull their resources together abd source for reliable power supply.

Nobody can hide pregnacy as it must surely be seen soon rather than late, no matter how much you tried to cover it up, I think Nigeria will naturally writes its own obituary. Bravo to Fayemi and co and lets watch this space.

Great post
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jul 18, 2011
ekt_bear:

The point is that rail and improved transportation from Ekiti to Lagos would do far more for developing the state than pretty much anything the state government can do in even 100 years.

Improve transportation and allow people to live in Ekiti and work in Lagos and the state will be rapidly developed.

Improved transport to Lagos is pretty much one of the most important things the governors of the SW must do, if they really want Yorubaland to be developed. In my opinion (and evidently Fayemi's), at least.

On that bolded part- this is what is called RURAL-URBAN DRIFT, which will not encourage development. Why don't you think people should leave Lagos and work in Ekiti? Ekiti needs to develop its infrastructures and build industries and create more jobs. If constructing railway from Ekiti to Lagos will fast track this development, fine, it should be to move people from Lagos to Ekiti to develop the state rather than the other way round which will inturn overpopulate Lagos where there is no job
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jul 18, 2011
Never met a Nigerian man without contact lens with green eyes o.

koastar:

On that bolded part- this is what is called RURAL-URBAN DRIFT, which will not encourage development. Why don't you think people should leave Lagos and work in Ekiti? Ekiti needs to develop its infrastructures and build industries and create more jobs. If constructing railway from Ekiti to Lagos will fast track this development, fine, it should be to move people from Lagos to Ekiti to develop the state rather than the other way round which will inturn overpopulate Lagos where there is no job

I agree. Develop Ekiti state, the development should be moved to my dear state.

But then, I dont want over population like Lagos.  kiss

Based on the ultimatum that Fayemi gave to Ekiti contractors, the roads should be finished or close to finish by December of this year. I dey wait for that one first.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by tpia5: 5:06pm On Jul 18, 2011
i've met a few.

they tend to be handsome but girls always flock to them.

green or greenish/brown eyes, pink lips, light or reddish skin.

pity i didnt take photos of the ones i know in nigeria.

its considered an albinic trait but they're not albinos.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Eziachi: 6:26pm On Jul 18, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

That's cool. So where did you meet her?
I met her, January 1973 at Edinburgh University. Her parents were devasted grin
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Enkidu: 6:44pm On Jul 18, 2011
Its so good to know that a few bright people are taking the reigns of power. Finally,everyone's eyes are openning after 44yrs. I'm so glad Ojukwu is still alive to see himslef vindicated after being maligned for so long. many said it was his personal ambition that led to the civil war. Since then, very few have been bold enough to call a spade a spade. We have come full circle to face the same set of problems and issues. Nigerians hv not only been bending backwards to accomodate the parasitic tendencies of northern political and religious elites, but we hv become permantly crippled and prostrate . Now, the regions hv to band together just like in the past and develope their regions for the benefit of their people. We cannot wait forever for the north to catch up when they are not even interested in the race. But they still want us not to move ahead.
enough is enough
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by seanet02: 7:07pm On Jul 18, 2011
ehie:

So you prefer to keep civil servants who forged their certificates? This bigots self.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by lagcity(m): 9:16pm On Jul 18, 2011
this Fayemi guy oozes intelligence when he speaks. I'm glad the SW governors are thinking right. I wonder if it has anything to do with the Awo cap they all like wearing cheesy cheesy I'm glad the Western Region is back. let's regain that momentum we had b4 bad belle ppl jailed our Awo.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jul 18, 2011
Eziachi:

I met her, January 1973 at Edinburgh University. Her parents were devasted grin

I'm sure they were cheesy
I wouldnt give my child away to a Nigerian man if I had a choice too.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by wasobia(m): 9:40pm On Jul 18, 2011
Look at these statistics!

What a Senator Earns In Nigeria - N29, 479,749. 00 Quarterly (4 times a year)
Basic Salary - N2, 484, 245.50.
Hardship Allowance @ 50% of Basic Salary - N1, 242,122.70 (I love this kind of hardship)
Constituency allowance @ 200% of BS - N4, 968,509.00
Furniture Allowance @ 300% of BS - N7, 452,736.50
Newspaper allowance @ 50% - N1, 242,122.70 (Which kind newspaper be this shey na online or hard copy?).
Wardrobe allowance @ 25% - N621, 061.37
Recess allowance@10% - N248,424.55
Accommodation @ 200% - N4,968,509.00.
Utilities @ 30% - N828, 081.83.
Domestic Staff @ 35% - N863, 184.12.
Entertainment @ 30% - N828, 081.83.
Personal Assistance @ 25% - N621, 061.37.
Vehicle Maintenance Allowance @ 75% - N1, 863,184.12.
Leave Allowance @10% - N248, 424.55.
One off payments (As advised by Sagamite Severance Gratuity) @ 300% - N7, 452,736.50 (Once they get fired.) Motor Vehicle Allowance @ 400% of BS - N9, 936,982.00
Every Four Years Senators Salary per month. - N2, 456,647.70 Total = N29, 479, 749.00
* 109 Senators Grand Total = N 3,264,329,264.

U.S. President: $400,000/yr.
GDP U.S. Economy: $13Trillion/ yr.
Allowance Nig. Senator: $1,500,000/yr.
GDP Nig. Economy: $45 Billion/yr.

i doubt if we will not go into bankruptcy!
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by ektbear: 10:33pm On Jul 18, 2011
lagcity:

this Fayemi guy oozes intelligence when he speaks. I'm glad the SW governors are thinking right. I wonder if it has anything to do with the Awo cap they all like wearing cheesy cheesy I'm glad the Western Region is back. let's regain that momentum we had b4 bad belle ppl jailed our Awo.

Hehe

I prefer the floppy cap instead, but thinking about getting a couple Awo-style caps now grin
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by ektbear: 11:49pm On Jul 18, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I was? Oh gosh, my past is gaining up on me. I better stop cheesy

Hehe. I'm not judging you, I'm kind of a flirt too
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by lagcity(m): 11:56pm On Jul 18, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

holy molly! are we that bad?

@ekt bear. abeg what's the story behind your signature? whose forehead are we talikng abt here?
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Desola(f): 11:57pm On Jul 18, 2011
oh dear! Focus, people - focus! undecided
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Eziachi: 12:04am On Jul 19, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I am with you there about giving your daughter to a Nigerian, I gave mine to some matador from Spain instead  grin grin,
But I can tell you that I had to work so hard, charm them, but never kiss their back side though grin.
Being a child soldier in Biafra helped a lot, especially with my father in-law, who introduced me everywhere we go together until his dead as a former Biafra soldier grin They may be Scottish aristocratic family, I am of the same from the great Igbo tribe too  grin grin grin grin

Eventually I won them over, but it took my mother law far longer to fully accept me, not until we had our son/adopted our daughter. Suddenly she calls me, son! grin
It was a hard battle I can tell you.
But in the end I love them to bits and they do genuinely loved me as a son, they never had.
In those days only a handful of people in Scotland had seen a black man and every Christmas was like a death sentence for me as we had to be in Scotland.
Your generation had much easy life today in many aspect.

Tottenham Hotspur/Celtic is like religion in my wife's family. You can imagine my pride, the day my fellow Igbo guy signed for Spurs as the first Sub Saharan African to play in the English top league in 1984.
His name is John Chiedozie. Do you know him?
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by ektbear: 12:11am On Jul 19, 2011
Eziachi is a really cool dude. Heh. I wish naija history had turned out a bit differently.

@lagcity: Just some article I read about people abusing bath salts to get high: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/us/17salts.html

The quote just jumped at me, so I decided to make it my signature.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Nobody: 12:13am On Jul 19, 2011
Eziachi:

I am with you there about giving your daughter to a Nigerian, I gave mine to some matador from Spain instead  grin grin,
But I can tell you that I had to work so hard, charm them, but never kiss their back side though grin.
Being a child soldier in Biafra helped a lot, especially with my father in-law, who introduced me everywhere we go together until his dead as a former Biafra soldier grin They may be Scottish aristocratic family, I am of the same from the great Igbo tribe too  grin grin grin grin

Eventually I won them over, but it took our mother law far longer to fully accept me, not until we had our son/adopted our daughter. Suddenly she calls me, son! grin
But in the end I love them to bits and they do genuinely loved me as a son, they never had.
In those days only a handful of people in Scotland hard seen a black man and every Christmas was like a death sentence for me as we had to be in Scotland.

Tottenham Hotspur/Celtic is like religion in my wife's family. You can imagine my pride, the day my fellow Igbo guy signed for Spurs as the first Sub Saharan African to play in the English top league in 1984.

Lol Eziachi, you really have a proud background!!

I doubt any family whether black or white will fully accept another race at first sight lol!!

Goodluck to your family and you in life!!!! Don's forget to have enough fun sir!!!!
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by aljharem3: 12:26am On Jul 19, 2011
Eziachi:

I am with you there about giving your daughter to a Nigerian, I gave mine to some matador from Spain instead grin grin,

Eventually I won them over, but it took our mother law far longer to fully accept me, not until we had our son/adopted our daughter. Suddenly she calls me, son! grin
In those days only a handful of people in Scotland hard seen a black man and every Christmas was like a death sentence for me as we had to be in Scotland.

i think no one can hate you. u are really a cool person or at least ur personality

Pa Eziache may ur days be long wink
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by Eziachi: 12:34am On Jul 19, 2011
ekt_bear:

Eziachi is a really cool dude. Heh. I wish naija history had turned out a bit differently.

@lagcity: Just some article I read about people abusing bath salts to get high: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/us/17salts.html

The quote just jumped at me, so I decided to make it my signature.
I once wished the same you know. At independent, there was so much hope, but at the back of your mind you knew something terrible will happen and it did. And everything happened so fast.
Nigeria and Nigerians in 1960 were like a guy about to marry a prostitude in the hope that she will change and becomes a one man's woman, but the fear linger behind that she will go back to the street one day.
Re: Nigeria Runs The Risk Of Collapse —fayemi by tpia5: 12:43am On Jul 19, 2011
Eziachi what race is your adopted daughter.

Frankly, i dont find the rest of your story too unusual or engrossing, no offence.

Scots and irish have been in africa and been mingling with blacks long before now. For centuries as a matter of fact.

The whole carribean speaks with an irish brogue or scottish lilt.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Police Station That Operates From Under A Tree Shed / Hypocrisy In This Country Stinks To High Heavens (PHOTOS) / Wizkid in Biafra land photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.