Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,094 members, 7,835,689 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations (21117 Views)

Ban On Okada Operations In 4 Additional Local Governments Begins Today In Lagos / Lagos Bans Okada Operations In 4 More Local Governments / Governor El-Rufai Climbs Truck As He Enforces Ban On Inter-State Movement (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by shaggy007(m): 6:22pm On Jun 02, 2022
God1000:
yeah I agree, I raised an eyebrow yesterday regarding this ban and some Nigerians were not happy with my comment.

The government is taking away their sources of income without providing another

Always depending on the government.

Should the government provide a source of income for independent people?

I don't support the ban, but the okada people should blame themselves for constituting a nuisance to the society.

Anyone that resorts to crime will be treated like a criminal.

Simple.

1 Like

Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by Quaddafi29: 6:25pm On Jun 02, 2022
I hope those boys will not enter trailers a flock into imo state. We don't need them here at all. They can head to Sambisa and operate there
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by Meteng: 6:25pm On Jun 02, 2022
wis3:
not only the commuters. Alot of these banned okadas would resort to other means to fend for themselves. Some would relocate, some would [b]turn to crime [/b]and so many other things
And they’ll someday be caught, and treated as such
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by Kirkman: 6:26pm On Jun 02, 2022
Sheuns:

I support the total ban on okada 100%, if anyone wants to ride okada, let them take it to their respective states. Most northern states have banned these bikes for over 5-6 yrs now, heaven no fall.
One stupid okada man fractured a cousin of mine femur in 2020; he wasn’t on a bike, but due to the inpatient nature of most of these idiots he ran into the guy where he was and he broke his femur. Instead of the idiot rider to wait, he still tried to abscond, if not for people around that stopped him that’s how the bastard would have escaped.
I am sorry about the bike incident that happened to your cousin.
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jun 02, 2022
Yes. Let those northern Okada miscreants leave Lagos

1 Like

Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by bigcasava1(m): 6:31pm On Jun 02, 2022
God1000:
This will surely have a negative effect on lagosians

I'm not against okada ban, but government should not abandon them
how? Come to Kaduna road most have started returning back to north
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by Efuaye(m): 6:35pm On Jun 02, 2022
Before there was Okada business in the early 90s, how were we commuting
In my area, all the artisans that I know have since abandoned their trade and skills for riding Okada!
Okada, has made Nigerians lazy.
Today, skill acquisition is now an aberration for young men! They are either riding okada/keke or doing Yahoo!
What a country!!!
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by nick50(m): 6:40pm On Jun 02, 2022
When bandits attacked kaduna-Abuja train killed and abducted some passengers why government no ban rail transport system within the country??..so na because dem no dey enter okada that's why dey easily ban it without thinking..God punish this evil government and thier useless supporters
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by Kennitrust(m): 6:42pm On Jun 02, 2022
heydays:
Good, the casualties and the associated malaise is too much to be ignored. Young lives are wasted and cases of rape are statistically getting too high.

We cannot continue to pamper these deadly vices and many more...
but why is crime always attributes to transporters?
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by Parachoko: 6:43pm On Jun 02, 2022
jaxxy:

Nobody gets used to suffering. create alternatives of it will backfire very soon.
The Government is working is providing an alternative. People will get use to it. Lagos will survive without Okada
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by Blast1: 6:43pm On Jun 02, 2022
heydays:
Good, the casualties and the associated malaise is too much to be ignored. Young lives are wasted and cases of rape are statistically getting too high.

Very true
After implementing okada ban. The govt should also ban those guys carrying bags and picking things from waste bins. They should also ban the guys using wheel barrow to pick things in the street.
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by Skinolee(m): 6:43pm On Jun 02, 2022
wis3:
Crime would be on the rise and we'd have more problems on our hands. I hate this country.
Anyone who think crime is the only way because dem ban okada is a criminal who disguise as okada
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by Fashdeejay(m): 6:44pm On Jun 02, 2022
The ban is a good move to reduce the level of insecurity in the state.... The average okada man is a fulani man, undocumented and no permanent residence, so any crime committed and he is off to another corner of Lagos to continue working... These folks move around with dangerous weapons and also of them tend to be weirdly sympathetic to the banditry/ bokoharam cause. Yet they are the ones who know the nooks and crannies in the state, so in the event of an ethnic battle, they know where to go and how to get there. We need to find a way of curbing the influx of these people and ho already claim that Nigeria is their father's land.... So from this point of view, I say it is a good one from the government.

1 Like

Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by jaxxy(m): 6:49pm On Jun 02, 2022
Parachoko:
The Government is working is providing an alternative. People will get use to it. Lagos will survive without Okada

until u provide the alternative lagos won't survive without okada.
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by Clean2016: 6:51pm On Jun 02, 2022
wis3:
not only the commuters. Alot of these banned okadas would resort to other means to fend for themselves. Some would relocate, some would turn to crime and so many other things

Several States in the North banned okada, some even banned Keke.

Warri, PHC, Uyo and co banned okada. Heaven didn't fall. Lots of those okada are thieves and cultist.

Which reasonable country in the world use okada as a means of transportation?

If you want to go fast, go and buy your personal okada or bicycle. It's been done in saner clime.
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by Clean2016: 6:53pm On Jun 02, 2022
Fashdeejay:
The ban is a good move to reduce the level of insecurity in the state.... The average okada man is a fulani man, undocumented and no permanent residence, so any crime committed and he is off to another corner of Lagos to continue working... These folks move around with dangerous weapons and also of them tend to be weirdly sympathetic to the banditry/ bokoharam cause. Yet they are the ones who know the nooks and crannies in the state, so in the event of an ethnic battle, they know where to go and how to get there.

See what they did in Abuja, attempted burning down a whole estate
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by IbileIfe: 6:57pm On Jun 02, 2022
heydays:

Lagos was better and safer before the "Okada" commercial motorcycles.
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by streetsoldier1(m): 7:02pm On Jun 02, 2022
Most of those shouting it will have effect and some people's source of income is taken and blind to the grand plan of these northerners.... they are everywhere and already outnumbering us. I was shocked when i went to the outmost outskirt of Lagos as far as ikola, u need to see their abode, their population... chai, not far from there is their joint where they likely trade drugs.
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by delerx(m): 7:09pm On Jun 02, 2022
Bro Lagos is a mega city, if not for corruption should be competing with new York London etc. Alot of people are being compelled to leave London and Edinburgh cos of high cost of living. In Edinburgh city centre some vehicles are not allowed to pass some places.Its not everything govt will do.
Fed govt should secure the borders and other states should seek development.
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by delpee(f): 7:43pm On Jun 02, 2022
Efuaye:
Before there was Okada business in the early 90s, how were we commuting
In my area, all the artisans that I know have since abandoned their trade and skills for riding Okada!
Okada, has made Nigerians lazy.
Today, skill acquisition is now an aberration for young men! They are either riding okada/keke or doing Yahoo!
What a country!!!

Right on point! Our youth need to develop useful skills instead of all these get rich quick schemes which are unsustainable. We keep bringing in artisans from Togo et al.

By the way, walking is a good form of exercise. We used to walk to the bus stops years back like it's done abroad.
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by uuzba(m): 7:50pm On Jun 02, 2022
delpee:

Right on point! Our youth need to develop useful skills instead of all these get rich quick schemes which are unsustainable. We keep bringing in artisans from Togo et al.

By the way, walking is a good form of exercise. We used to walk to the bus stops years back like it's done abroad.
Cold weather and snow falls abroad and that helps them when walking and exceeding to keep cool.
The highest temperature in UK is 25C.
In Nigeria, 25 C is our low temperature. Intact your start earring long sleeve shirt at 25C.
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by uuzba(m): 7:53pm On Jun 02, 2022
delerx:
Bro Lagos is a mega city, if not for corruption should be competing with new York London etc. Alot of people are being compelled to leave London and Edinburgh cos of high cost of living. In Edinburgh city centre some vehicles are not allowed to pass some places.Its not everything govt will do.
Fed govt should secure the borders and other states should seek development.
London built underground trains and tunnels since 1800. They still have buses, taxis and uber on the surface. Majority of the population use the underground because it is faster.

We don't have anything. We are just stuck in traffic jam daily moving nowhere
What are we competiting about?

2 Likes

Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by Akharmony: 8:03pm On Jun 02, 2022
small time people go adapt... For 7years Nigerian bear the burden of this government, i hope they bear this motocycle(okada) baning also for the main time
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by piagetskinner(m): 8:56pm On Jun 02, 2022
Government should provide smaller buses to ply inner routes.. cos e no funny o

1 Like

Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by wis3(m): 8:57pm On Jun 02, 2022
davidtemi:

I sincerely hate to hear dis statement (crime).
Crime is in u dat is why u do it.
Is crime d only tin dey can do to earn a living? I dnt understand.
No situation will make me do crime, NEVER.
Let dem do crime and get caught and killed.
Simple as dat
and until then. You'll have so innocent victims of these criminals who'll be dead. They'll kill so many and they might never even get caught. Let's be reasonable. There are a lot of bad eggs in them but there are also responsible people who are also in it only because they don't have another alternative. No wonder there's so much banditry and kidnapping in the country. Some of them are struggling people with families. Is it you that will feed them?
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by AbokiWithAttitu: 8:58pm On Jun 02, 2022
E for say they do the ban 2yrs ago, my friend for still dey alive cry

RIP Sedorf
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by wis3(m): 9:03pm On Jun 02, 2022
Clean2016:

Several States in the North banned okada, some even banned Keke.

Warri, PHC, Uyo and co banned okada. Heaven didn't fall. Lots of those okada are thieves and cultist.

Which reasonable country in the world use okada as a means of transportation?

If you want to go fast, go and buy your personal okada or bicycle. It's been done in saner clime.
you'd be surprised to find that some of these okadas are the ones going into banditry today.
Many of them are peasant farmers who are into the business mostly during the dry seasons. With zero academic qualifications who's going to provide such person with a job? And you expect them to not jump at the opportunity of joining banditry when a chance is presented to them? It's no wonder you're all getting kidnapped on a daily basis.
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by wis3(m): 9:05pm On Jun 02, 2022
Meteng:
And they’ll someday be caught, and treated as such
anyone found wanting should be caught and ruthlessly dealt with but until they do get caught, how many people have to suffer in their hands?
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by lawalmovichhhh: 9:15pm On Jun 02, 2022
we in apapa re suffering oo...this ban is pure wickedness over here
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by davidtemi(m): 9:37pm On Jun 02, 2022
wis3:
and until then. You'll have so innocent victims of these criminals who'll be dead. They'll kill so many and they might never even get caught. Let's be reasonable. There are a lot of bad eggs in them but there are also responsible people who are also in it only because they don't have another alternative. No wonder there's so much banditry and kidnapping in the country. Some of them are struggling people with families. Is it you that will feed them?
My dear only if u knw dat I'm not supporting d govt on d subject matter, all I am saying is crime shouldn't be d alternative to okada ban. If govt ban okada why not try Keke napep, why is d solution is in crime??
Where I normally go on bike, d park is now filled wit napep at double price though
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by wis3(m): 9:42pm On Jun 02, 2022
davidtemi:

My dear only if u knw dat I'm not supporting d govt on d subject matter, all I am saying is crime shouldn't be d alternative to okada ban. If govt ban okada why not try Keke napep, why is d solution is in crime??
you go provide them with the Keke Napep? The ones that can afford it will buy it and the ones that can't afford it will be left to their fate. It's just the unfortunate reality. And calling the government will only fall on deaf ears because it has too much on its plate already
Re: Commuters Groan As Lagos Govt Enforces Ban On ‘Okada’ Operations by wis3(m): 9:43pm On Jun 02, 2022
davidtemi:

Where I normally go on bike, d park is now filled wit napep at double price though
I feel the ban should not have been made outright. Alternatives should have been made before making the decision.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ruga Settlements: FG To Woo Colonies With N2.26bn Grazing Reserve Budget / Parcel Bomb For Okonjo-Iweala Dropped At Post-Office / Okorocha & Ikpeazu In Yola For Bindow's Son's Wedding (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.