Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,902 members, 7,828,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:42 AM

Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom (37627 Views)

Nigerian Man Speaks Out Against Alleged Racism In Europe (video) / Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! / Dana Air Speaks On Aircraft Door That Fell Off (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by Gamesmart: 6:01pm On Jun 06, 2022
majamajic:
It's very cheap

2 bed room apartment in jumeirah Dubai a Month is from 1.5m to 3m

In normal areas , is around 1m
a Month
One room is from 360k a month in deira or al nada Dubai
Prices of apartments in UK is not bad

2 bedroom apartment in Westminster, Kensington, Chelsea, Holland Park, Regents Park etc is from N2m to N6m.

So, no dey compare, Jumeirah is cheap.
Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by lulufaj(m): 6:02pm On Jun 06, 2022
chatinent:
Ok. Convert your monthly pay from all the jobs you do to Naira. Na only overheads una dey like convert to Naira show Nigerians.

Come back make another person go

And how did you know that?
Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by Babaire: 6:04pm On Jun 06, 2022
Gamesmart:

You are indeed ignorant about "the abroad".

The average unschooled labourer does not make N1.5m; it is less than that. But let's indulge you.

Lets say the average labourer does make N1.5m. By the time he pays taxes, national insurance and pension contributions, about 22% would have gone out of it. Leaving N1.17m.

Now considering you chose to claim a very high average, that means this labourer is likely to be "labouring" in London to earn such wages. That means the upper limit of those rent figures would apply to the labourer if he wants to live in a 2 bedroom apartment, as London is the most expensive place to live. So that is N975,000 per month.

Now that leaves him with how much after he pays this rent? N195,000.

If that N195,000 per month even good enough to live Western life in Lagos? Talk less of London.

In London, he would still have to pay council tax first of about N48K per month and then face BUS transport bills that are N900 to get on for one journey anytime he goes out.

No your calculation is wrong. If he earns let's say £1600 a month, he pays tax on (1600-1250) only £350 not the entire £1,600. That is only £70 tax he pays
Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by Gamesmart: 6:05pm On Jun 06, 2022
Legendoo:

You dig cheesy..

They'll still not get it. It's a math's problem .

You forgot to deduct those pesky half an hour lunch breaks grin.

They just calculate 10 * 40 and boom , you're a millionaire grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Dem no know say wetin you go get from "the abroad" better than Naija na opportunities, quality, hope, comfort and security. Not cheap life and huge savings. You pay for all the benefits.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by Gamesmart: 6:06pm On Jun 06, 2022
Babaire:

No you calculation is wrong. If he earns let's say £1600 a month, he pays tax on (1600-1250) only £350 not the entire £1,600.

How did you arrive at £1,600?
Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by ukaface(f): 6:06pm On Jun 06, 2022
codemaniacs:

You forgot to add transportation expenses or fuel expenses if his owns a car, electricity expenses, health insurance expenses, hospital expenses, internet expenses if the place his staying doesn't have free internet, garbage disposal expenses, cleaning expenses if he doesn't clean his apartment by himself, professional courses expenses if he intends furthering his career e.t.c
See, in situations like this you ought to cut your coat according to your size, why not look for a house that's cheaper, and if he is a family man his spouse can also help. I think females there are more lending right?( I don't know o) Na to know how he go budget himself. No go do overdo.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by Onewazobia(m): 6:07pm On Jun 06, 2022
Carry your load come pay for less rent, its actually very cheap @ Owo, Ondo state

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by Babaire: 6:07pm On Jun 06, 2022
Gamesmart:

How did you arrive at £1,600?

If he works 40 hours a week *4 weeks and on average of £10/hr

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by Gamesmart: 6:08pm On Jun 06, 2022
Legendoo:
I read all the stupid takes on twitter. One thing is clear , these Japa people are terrible at math's.

Anyways he's totally correct, doesn't mean Nigeria is better but abroad is hard asf especially now.

Well said!
Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by ukaface(f): 6:09pm On Jun 06, 2022
Babaire:

Yes we do. I earn £4,500 after tax, I don't pay children school fee, neither do I pay hospital bill even for myself. My rent is £1,000 a month.

Between, why convert to Naira in the first place. Was he paid in Naira.

Let him go back home I beg
exactly, I'm wondering why he is converting to Naira, when he is not paying in Naira.
Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by Gamesmart: 6:10pm On Jun 06, 2022
Babaire:

If he works 40 hours a week *4 weeks and on average of £10/hr

Did you read the post I quoted before I made the calculations you said was wrong?

Where in that post (that I quoted) said anything about 40 hours, 4 weeks or £10/hr?
Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by Gamesmart: 6:11pm On Jun 06, 2022
adecz:

When you earn a simple average
salary of £3000 per month or about
N3.2 million, to pay N500k per month
no suppose to be problem nah..

Abi you go dey live for naija, dey go work
for London every day because of cheaper
rent❓

Abeg tell us Something new.

Wetin be cost of Arsenal season ticket
for 22/23

This one knows nothing about the thing called "tax".

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by usagee36: 6:12pm On Jun 06, 2022
They won't tell you in Nigeria you can't even work and pay rent nor buy a car. Useless people complaining all the time. God bless America.
Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by descarado: 6:12pm On Jun 06, 2022
Read that rent is very cheap in Germany you don't need to buy a house.
Is that true?
Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by Babaire: 6:13pm On Jun 06, 2022
Gamesmart:

Did you read the post I quoted before I made the calculations you said was wrong?

Where in that post (that I quoted) said anything about 40 hours, 4 weeks or £10/hr?
your tax is what I meant. Don't forget he will have tax relief of £1250.

Also, yes you work 40 hours a week and if you add the break of 1hr, you have worked for over 40hrs
Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by Yankee101: 6:14pm On Jun 06, 2022
Come to America
In the UK you pay taxes for your tv, a bigger car etc
Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by HRprof: 6:14pm On Jun 06, 2022
Nigeriainpeace:
It’s even better over there I pay 700k here in abj monthly
Oga reduce your volume !!
700k monthly rent in nigeria
Make we dey lie small small naaaa

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by GreyLaw(m): 6:14pm On Jun 06, 2022
Legendoo:

Go through this thread.

You guys have no Idea

https://twitter.com/moneybagjo_/status/1533098669427367937?t=CR21_wYWp3IqRJxh4llHUw&s=19

Thanks. I am moving to the UK in a few months. My annual income will be around £130k. And I may make much more than that. That's okay for me. I don't care what nonsense that guy is writing there. If he doesn't like it he should come back to Nigeria and go rent a duplex in Ikorodu or Lugbe in Abuja. He shouldn't disturb us. Was he telling us to clap for him?
Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by Mindlog: 6:16pm On Jun 06, 2022
brandsoncharlie:

Can you tells us what kind of job is that and the name of the company that pay such monthly.

A lot of factories/Warehouses pay between £10-£12.50 per hour and 50% extra on Sundays and Public holidays.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by baretalk: 6:17pm On Jun 06, 2022
fykes:
Also tell us that in a month, an average unschooled labourer in UK makes around 1.5m
How much is taxes house rent, feeding and lifestyle?
Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by nedekid: 6:18pm On Jun 06, 2022
See these funny fellow, if rent too cost, return to naija naa, let us exchange you with naija boy willing to pay the rent.
You forgot to cite the minimum wage in the UK. You also forgot to mention ordinary folks earn 1800-2000 pounds monthly and more. Ie 1.6m and above.
Most folks also have flatmates that the half the rent with.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by Gamesmart: 6:19pm On Jun 06, 2022
Cloud007:
don't mind OP oh...you make around £2000 every month with £700 for rent for 2 bed. Bills with food is extra 300 every month. You still get to save almost a thousand pounds every month. Can you do it in Nigeria? Now if you are with family...you might be making around 3,500 in a Month with your spouse. You might be saving about 2000 a Month. All this, is the least you can get from UK economy when you earn the basic minimum income. Now when you got a good job. The rest they say is history....

You have obviously never left Nigeria.

What about council tax?

What about transportation?

If you are paying £700 for renting 2 bed flat, you are OBVIOUSLY not living in London.

So, it if you are not living in London, that means your council tax would be even much higher as London has the lowest council tax rates.

So, you di not factor the £130 per month he would have to pay for council tax?

What about the bus, rail and/car expenses?

If he does not live in London and wants to eat his African food, how much would it cost him? It would even be more expensive than the cost in London.

Have you ever bought a 1kg bag of garri for N3,000 before? And 4kg bag of beans for N10,000?

Or one RAW/UNCOOKED snail for N2,000?
Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by iamdapsyj(m): 6:19pm On Jun 06, 2022
HRprof:

Are you telling us that they make upto 1m in a month?
He is only talking about rent by the time he pays bills and other things money don finish be that

Why is he converting it to Naira like he lives in Nigeria...it doesn't make sense to me. He should come back home if he can't cope.
Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by Bebem(m): 6:20pm On Jun 06, 2022
Why not tell us the income level as well as the opportunities. Don't only compare expenses.

HRprof:
A Nigerian man living abroad got people talking after he revealed the cost of rent where he lives.

According to him, the rent per month is between N562k and 975k.

https://twitter.com/IamOlajideAwe/status/1532240778776428544?t=ltrI-xaqxwW2mC3HYE736g&s=19

He said: "Get it right: Things are better here but you will not sit down and hope you will make it here. It depends on what you do and how well grounded you are sha."

NairaLand in UK what’s your take on this

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by Gamesmart: 6:21pm On Jun 06, 2022
Babaire:
your tax is what I meant. Don't forget he will have tax relief of £1250.

Also, yes you work 40 hours a week and if you add the break of 1hr, you have worked for over 40hrs

My tax is based on the figure he gave.

The more you make, the high the percentage of your tax EXACTLY because of the static tax relief.

Someone making £2,400 per month (N1.5m) would have a higher tax figure as a proportion of wages than someone making £1,600. So I was right!
Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by okuta007: 6:21pm On Jun 06, 2022
vb0mb:
They won't tell you their monthly income in naira.

If you are tired of the "huge cost" of living there, please come back to Nigeria. Give other people chance.

You are looking for who to demotivate. Baba come back home. Nigeria is cheap. Nonsense and ingredients.

Make God give you visa - when you travel and start paying bills and complaining no one will listen to you

Just like you are not listening to the OP now

Let me ask you - if the OP comes back to Nigeria that he cant cope in London due to the bills - will you not recruit your fellow street

Urchins to gossip and ridicule him? Will you let him have peace of mind and not run him mad with your jeers?

That is why he did not come back home - he is scared of your bullying and that is the story of 80% of Nigerians abroad

IF you all will swear and take an oath that you will not mock any returnee for failing - and you will treat them with courtesy

millions will leave for Nigeria within the next 48 hours!!!! TRUST ME! angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jun 06, 2022
He told us his rent but 4get to tell us his monthly earnings.
Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by iamdapsyj(m): 6:23pm On Jun 06, 2022
Amotekun777:
Foolish Ignorant Nigerians! No be by force to relocate na...

They can still go back 9ja. Ungrateful Fools, all they do is complain and whine. You dey 9ja, you complain, you go abroad, you go still complain. Dem force you go ni? angry

Ask that foolish man how much he makes monthly and he should as well convert it to Naira as he does with his other bills. angry

Exactly my point too....he just converted house rent and left the rest. House rent anywhere in the world takes the bulk of the salary...the UK is not special!!
Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by dicksonohm(m): 6:24pm On Jun 06, 2022
Let's exchange. Come Naija make I com UK. I ge manage the high rent there.
HRprof:
A Nigerian man living abroad got people talking after he revealed the cost of rent where he lives.

According to him, the rent per month is between N562k and 975k.

https://twitter.com/IamOlajideAwe/status/1532240778776428544?t=ltrI-xaqxwW2mC3HYE736g&s=19

He said: "Get it right: Things are better here but you will not sit down and hope you will make it here. It depends on what you do and how well grounded you are sha."

NairaLand in UK what’s your take on this
Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by codemaniacs: 6:25pm On Jun 06, 2022
ukaface:
see, in situations like this you ought to cut your according to your size, why not look for a house that's cheaper, and if he is a family man his spouse can also help. I think females there are more lending right?( I don't know o) Na to know how he go budget himself. No go do overdo.

The point I'm trying to make is as a single person he has all those expenses so that means his partner will also have those same expenses to pay and may not be able help out.

A cheaper house could mean staying in a high crime area and rough neighborhood and such areas are not good if the person wants to have a network of people around him/her.
Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by CocoaOla: 6:26pm On Jun 06, 2022
nigeria minimum wages is 30,000 naira UK minimum wages is 195,000 thousand naira.
Re: Nigerian Man Speaks On High Rent In The United Kingdom by Adesina18111(m): 6:26pm On Jun 06, 2022
Even if na #1Billion....I go get there with my family and pay the rent conveniently by the grace of God!!!!

If you are not satisfied abeg come back home and stop wailing lipsrsealed undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

It’s Not Our Responsibility,brt Staff React To The Dirtiness Of Their Bus(photo) / Pictures Of Some Beautiful Places In Dubai, United Arab Emirates / New Pictures Of Ekiti State. . . . .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.