Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,735 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:35 PM

Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge (980 Views)

Southerners Erroneously Think The North Is Dependent On The South - Ben Bruce / Radio Biafra Is Gaining Relevant Sahara Reporters / Why The North Is Not Responding To Charlie Hebdo Cartoons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jul 20, 2011
Written by Tunde Oyekola
Wednesday, 20 July 2011

’INVESTIGATIONS have revealed reasons the authorities of the Nigeria Police are giving preferential treatment to indigenes of northern states, who are already enlisted in the rank and file of the force, as it is aimed at given the regions of the North an edge in the establishment.

Nigerian Tribune gathered that though the force planned to uplift all graduates who were already enlisted in the rank and file of the paramilitary outfit, by sending them for training at the police college, the training programme could not be concluded after the first batch, because only few candidates from the North were qualified in the second list.

A signal sent from the administrative department of the police force to all the 36 states, including Abuja, directed indigenes of the 16 northern states in the rank and file, who had university degrees, to report to the administrative department.

According to sources, the Police Service Commission (PSC), headed by Mr Mike Okiro in 2007, recommended that all graduates within the rank and file of the force should be upgraded to the rank of senior officer.

Following the recommendation, a qualifying examination was organised for the 2,884 graduates that registered, which was held at Staff College, Jos.

After the examination, it was discovered that candidates of northern origin were not many in the list of those who made the 63 per cent cut-off mark,  a reason the special cut-off mark of 25 per cent was designed for those from the northern states.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/25362-police-recruitment-why-the-north-is-gaining-the-edge
Re: Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jul 20, 2011
This is another way the northerners want to make sure they control Nigeria. This should be resisted! Is it our fault that they are mostly illiterates and educationally backward?

The recent education report released by the Minstry of Education shows that in Borno state, over 90% of school age children have never been to school. These children will grow up to either be used by Boko aram or they join the police force and still want to be senior officers heading special units with their semi educational qualifications
Re: Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge by yarodin: 5:18pm On Jul 20, 2011
What about the military? Abi it is not good for them any longer?
Re: Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jul 20, 2011
^^^Who knows, they may also be planning same in the military undecided. But I think they are losing grip in the military that is why they are turning to militancy
Re: Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge by DisGuy: 5:48pm On Jul 20, 2011
According to sources, the Police Service Commission (PSC), headed by Mr Mike Okiro in 2007, recommended that all graduates within the rank and file of the force should be upgraded to the rank of senior officer.

Following the recommendation, a qualifying examination was organised for the 2,884 graduates that registered, which was held at Staff College, Jos.

After the examination, it was discovered that candidates of northern origin were not many in the list of those who made the 63 per cent cut-off mark, a reason the special cut-off mark of 25 per cent was designed for those from the northern states.

resisted by northerners like Okiro

what are the southerner senators and ministers saying about this, the past minister was a southerner, the past two IGP were southerners
Re: Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge by ektbear: 11:19pm On Jul 20, 2011
Unfortunate if true.

I'd prefer regional police anyways. . .
Re: Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge by NegroNtns(m): 11:30pm On Jul 20, 2011
Ekt,

To your point, I believe of western governors have spoken to that in past. Its what police force is intended to be; local.
Re: Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jul 20, 2011
What do you expect from a tribe that says education is forbidden but when the fruit of education comes up,they want the lionshare ! Terrorists
Re: Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jul 20, 2011
Every US Cop is required to complete a psychological test as  part of their police academy training. i.e MMPI, CPI, 16PF, even the IQ test
This helps with knowing how to deal with domestic violence and street violence. The 16PF and the IQ test helps to determine if a police is cut out to be a police outside of the classroom.

Such tests would help qualify or disqualify Police officers base on these criterion:

• Incorruptible
• High moral character
• Well-adjusted
• Oriented toward service
• Ability to control emotions
• Logical reasoning skills

Does the Nigerian police force follow the same training procedure? I bet you, 90% of Nigeria's police men and women would be disqualified because on one of those tests.

Jeez, Nigeria realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyy needs to change, ammend, modify etc its judicial branch and law system. Nigeria is a sad rotten egg cry cry cry
Re: Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge by NegroNtns(m): 12:42am On Jul 21, 2011
Ileke,

I like the way you think forward. You will be good with Quality and Process Improvement.
Re: Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge by DisGuy: 3:05am On Jul 21, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Every US Cop is required to complete a psychological test as  part of their police academy training. i.e MMPI, CPI, 16PF, even the IQ test
This helps with knowing how to deal with domestic violence and street violence. The 16PF and the IQ test helps to determine if a police is cut out to be a police outside of the classroom.

Such tests would help qualify or disqualify Police officers base on these criterion:

• Incorruptible
• High moral character
• Well-adjusted
• Oriented toward service
• Ability to control emotions
• Logical reasoning skills

Does the Nigerian police force follow the same training procedure? I bet you, 90% of Nigeria's police men and women would be disqualified because on one of those tests.

Jeez, Nigeria realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyy needs to change, ammend, modify etc its judicial branch and law system. Nigeria is a sad rotten egg cry cry cry

you mean 99% of Nigerians in total!!
Re: Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge by Nobody: 4:51am On Jul 21, 2011
Dis Guy:

My brother, na true you dey talk. Thanks for the other 1%, I know you were putting me into consideration when you set that "1%" aside.

Negro_Ntns:

Ileke,

I like the way you think forward. You will be good with Quality and Process Improvement.

Better than my forensic talk huh? wink
Re: Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jul 21, 2011
Dis Guy:

You are a Nigerian, so you are part of the 99%

Ileke-IdI:

My brother, na true you dey talk. Thanks for the other 1%, I know you were putting me into consideration when you set that "1%" aside.
Why are you always sentimental?
Re: Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jul 21, 2011
koastar:

You are a Nigerian, so you are part of the 99%
Why are you always sentimental?

Because it's not a crime.
Re: Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jul 21, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Because it's not a crime.
So, you are proud to be sentimental. Those who are, do not see anything good in others and therefore, their thoughts and actions are always irrational and biased. If you continue to have only negative thoughts about your country, it will be very difficult for you to contribute meaningfully towards the growth of the country. This will make you to always complain, complain and complain till you, only God knows what will happen at this stage
Re: Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge by Dede1(m): 6:41pm On Jul 21, 2011
Could empty heads such as Badtooth, Negetive_Nts and ikebe inform us one of the reasons that led to January 15, 1966 coup?
Re: Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jul 21, 2011
i hav said it times without numbers that nigeria is a tragically dysfunctional geographical waiste of space.
Re: Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jul 21, 2011
koastar:

So, you are proud to be sentimental. Those who are, do not see anything good in others and therefore, their thoughts and actions are always irrational and biased. If you continue to have only negative thoughts about your country, it will be very difficult for you to contribute meaningfully towards the growth of the country. This will make you to always complain, complain and complain till you, only God knows what will happen at this stage

Let me see you complain about Nigeria on this forum, you hear.
arrant nonsense.
Re: Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jul 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Let me see you complain about Nigeria on this forum, you hear.
arrant nonsense.
Actually, I didn't meant to get you upset. I'm just trying to say complaining all the time does not solve anything but facing the challange and try to find a solution to the problems would go a long way.
Ekiti agbe a o! Nigeria yi ti kete ra ni!
Re: Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jul 22, 2011
koastar:

Actually, I didn't meant to get you upset. I'm just trying to say complaining all the time does not solve anything but facing the challange and try to find a solution to the problems would go a long way.
Ekiti agbe a o! Nigeria yi ti kete ra ni!
I was not complaining on my previous thread. I was looking at the problem in the eyes and giving some sort of a solution.
Ase!
Re: Police Recruitment: ‘Why The North Is Gaining The Edge by Akainzo(m): 6:43pm On Jul 22, 2011
The irony in this whole thing is: While we are shouting that the Northerners want all things for themselves, it is actually the Southerners that are making it possible!

The past two IG have been Southerners, the Miniter in charge have been southerners. So what are we complaining about?

(1) (Reply)

White Supremacist Talks About How They Kill Millions Of Nigerians / Photo Speaks: Arrival In New York For United Nation: Who Is The President? Goodl / Shipwrecks Litter Nigeria's Coastline

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.