Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,150 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:16 AM

Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds (113262 Views)

Throwback Photo Of Buhari As A Tennis Player In The 70s / Throwback Photo Of Bukola Saraki & His Dad In The 60s / Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by EzeUche(m): 4:00am On Jul 22, 2011

Balewa, Bello, Azikiwe
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by EzeUche(m): 4:01am On Jul 22, 2011
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by EzeUche(m): 4:05am On Jul 22, 2011

[img]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_psCFBxYpRw4/SOLQo8bZ_FI/AAAAAAAAA-0/uis3OZZ2wvE/s912/Jos%2C%20Nigeria%20PJW%20April%201967.jpg
[/img]

Jos and Kano (Nigeria) in early to mid 1960s
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by EzeUche(m): 4:07am On Jul 22, 2011
Some of the pictures I uploaded are personal pictures. cry

I have many pictures, but I am done for now.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by jmaine: 4:18am On Jul 22, 2011
Wonderful thread kiss kiss kiss kiss . . .Our Lost Glory cry cry
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by aljharem(m): 4:23am On Jul 22, 2011
EzeUche:

Some of the pictures I uploaded are personal pictures. cry

I have many pictures, but I am done for now.

nice one
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by darne(m): 4:40am On Jul 22, 2011
Sometime i wish this White Folks Are still here,, Maybe It would have still been better than IT IS NOW !!! God Bless Nigeria Sha
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by uuspace(m): 6:34am On Jul 22, 2011
These pictures are awesome,

Please people lets share this pictures in facebook and other social media so that more people of our generation will see how beautiful our father land was before now.

To see what they have been robbed off by our past leaders and to see why its important to fight for good governance ,and fight to eliminate the evils that are destroying this country

i shed tears while i was going through these pictures,

Nigeria is worth weeping for

May God Bless us all
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by kcjazz(m): 6:40am On Jul 22, 2011
In the 70s, they all wanted to be like Micheal Jackson but today the dream is to be a politician grin

Kris Okotie
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Jenifa1: 7:11am On Jul 22, 2011
I would like to see pics of rural areas where vast majority of Nigerians lived. migration to the city is a relatively new development in Africa. Lagos of the 60s/70s is like Abuja of 90s/00s. a new un-congested city will be clean and shiny. I know my parents didn't live in the city in 60s/70s. they were in their towns and villages. so I want to see pics of those places.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by adeoflagos: 7:19am On Jul 22, 2011
Thanks so so much for the pics. Especially for the image of the June 13, 1971 issue of Daily Times.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by okadaman2: 7:37am On Jul 22, 2011
Jenifa_:

I would like to see pics of rural areas where vast majority of Nigerians lived. migration to the city is a relatively new development in Africa. Lagos of the 60s/70s is like Abuja of 90s/00s. a new un-congested city will be clean and shiny. I know my parents didn't live in the city in 60s/70s. they were in their towns and villages. so I want to see pics of those places.

I agree. See this link, those are my people at the village in 1960 celebrating independence -> http://www.pbase.com/edwardek/image/91002836

uuspace:

These pictures are awesome,

Please people lets share this pictures in facebook and other social media so that more people of our generation will see how beautiful our father land was before now.

To see what they have been robbed off by our past leaders and to see why its important to fight for good governance ,and fight to eliminate the evils that are destroying this country

i shed tears while i was going through these pictures,

Like Breeze5000 said earlier, go here:--> The Nigerian Nostalgia 1960 -1980 Project Photos2,370 photos
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=152978661409591
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Probity100: 7:50am On Jul 22, 2011
[size=8pt]This is the best thread on Nairaland[/size]. It reminds me so many things. Nigeria has gone far. I think we should just remember our roots and come together. Hausa,Ibo and Yoruba we are ONE.

Most people engaging in this evil acts, I mean the youth have no knowledge of the history. With this thread, I believe most guys born before this period will have change of mind and will henceforth promote the unity of this loving country called Nigeria.

Thanks and kudos to the contributors of these beautiful pics. With these pics, I can narrate vividly the history of this country to my children. And, if I lay hand on one of my 1970s pics, I will gladly post it too.

Cheers.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Rossikk(m): 8:30am On Jul 22, 2011
Some goat said:

Sometime i wish this White Folks Are still here,, Maybe It would have still been better than IT IS NOW !!! God Bless Nigeria Sha

You have no brain. When the white folk were here they built not one single university in the country throughout their 100 years in power.  And zero electricity. When they left, national literacy rate was at 7%.  (contrast to 76% today)

IF THEY WERE STILL HERE YOU'D BE A FARM ILLITERATE like your grandparents/great grandparents were, not here typing slave minded garbage.

I really don't see anything wonderful in any of those pics. You see thatched roof houses and dirt roads in cities, and those children smiling in pics are all barefoot. Today, under African rule, those same kids would have on shoes.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by prefers555: 8:38am On Jul 22, 2011
With young politicians like dimeji bankole, nigeria will never get to its eldarado.

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by prefers555: 8:41am On Jul 22, 2011
With young politicians like dimeji bankole, nigeria will never get to its eldarado.

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Rossikk(m): 8:47am On Jul 22, 2011
titsquueze said:

In all seriousness these pics actually make me feel angry, angry at the extent to which the country has been ra.ped by its own people. Yes those Brits also came to rob and steal, they also left foundation that would have made Naija really great today if so called leaders had built on those foundations. Now na every man for himself

What ''foundation'' exactly did they set? There was no national grid and 98% of the population had no access to electricity after 100 years of British rule in Nigeria. Infant mortality was at 250 per 1000 at independence, compared to 90 per 1000 today. In fact some of you people really make me sick with your ignorance. The British r.aped the country blind, and did nothing. Look at what they did in South Africa. It is only because they had white settlers there in large number that they re-invested profits made from the exploitation of natural resources, and actually developed the place. In Nigeria they simply evacuated 99% of the export earnings to London, for over 100 years. That is why we had to start from scratch at independence. They did NOTHING. Sure, Ikoyi looked nice and peaceful, with manicured lawns and nice roads. But blacks weren't permitted there, except servants and cleaners.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Jiah011(f): 8:51am On Jul 22, 2011
This was the Nigeria I was looking for when I first visited, but it was not the one I found upon arrival. Our parents and grandparents had such fond memories and stories to tell. For hours one could listen, but today you find the daily news conflicts with the good memories. It's so sad. So much promise and potential only to be squandered! A time when everything had meaning and substance and people were true to their word. You could find honest, hard-working people. Now to find such people is one in a million. How does one go back? Even those in diaspora want to return, but where is the room and welcome? None, just fear, corruption, and trouble. Just step off the plane, and your challenges begin! Everything from education, to business, to health care, politics, society-Nigeria is a complete disaster.

What positive thing can be said? Well, Nigeria can only move upwards from here. Any lower than its present state of affairs and it will cease to exist. God show us the way to be good stewards of what you has given us! It starts with the individual. Let us be better individuals to transform the country from inside out! Then we can make the right choices from the small things around us up to the leaders we choose to lead us.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Rossikk(m): 8:58am On Jul 22, 2011
^^Yawwn. Grandparents will always tell you it was really WONDERFUL back in their day. No one could afford a car so there was no complaint about 'bad roads'. No one knew what electricity was, so there was no complaint about 'NEPA'. No one had seen a tap run so there was no complaints about 'no water'. Nobody went to school, so there was no complaint about 'strikes', or 'randy lecturers' or 'unaffordable school fees'. Nobody had anything worth stealing, so there were no complaints about 'robbers'. Life was really blissful. The vast majority sat in their candle-lit mud huts at night telling stories of ancient valour to their kids under the moonlight.

You said you wished to see that Nigeria of your grandparents. BE GLAD YOU DIDN'T.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by executinal(m): 9:05am On Jul 22, 2011
Donlittle:

DAMN nigeria used to be developed, wth happened??  angry angry cry cry cry

IBB is in a better position to explain better to us angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Rossikk(m): 9:18am On Jul 22, 2011
SOUTH AFRICA IN THE 1960s

THIS is what Nigeria SHOULD have looked like at the end of 100 years of British rule, NOT THESE GARBAGE, WRETCHED PICTURES YOU'RE SHOWING HERE AND SALIVATING ST.UPIDLY OVER THE POVERTY AND UNDERDEVELOPMENT THE BRITISH LEFT YOU WITH.

THEY MADE EVEN MORE MONEY IN NIGERIA THAN THEY DID IN SOUTH AFRICA, YET SEE THE DIFFERENCE:

JOHANNESBURG 1960:

By 1973

AFTER EXPLOITING RESOURCES FOR 100 YEARS, NIGERIA SHOULD HAVE BEEN LOOKING LIKE THAT, NOT THESE  GARBAGE PICS OF BAREFOOT KIDS smiling beside Leventis, DIRT ROADS, and thatched roofs.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by KA24DETT(m): 9:21am On Jul 22, 2011
Rossikk:

^^Yawwn. Grandparents will always tell you it was really WONDERFUL back in their day. No one could afford a car so there was no complaint about 'bad roads'. No one knew what electricity was, so there was no complaint about 'NEPA'. No one had seen a tap run so there was no complaints about 'no water'. Nobody went to school, so there was no complaint about 'strikes', or 'randy lecturers' or 'unaffordable school fees'. Nobody had anything worth stealing, so there were no complaints about 'robbers'. Life was really blissful. The vast majority sat in their candle-lit mud huts at night telling stories of ancient valour to their kids under the moonlight.

You said you wished to see that Nigeria of your grandparents. BE GLAD YOU DIDN'T.

So what u are saying is that nigeria is better off today than previous years??, man,, be honest to urself for once, Look at the history of nigerian railway, they had many locomotives running from the north-south route, even they had cattle wagons,, now we aint got nothing, same goes for all our infrastructures, ,, Quit blaming the british for what they did,,, what damage have we done ourselves? we live in a society that values fast money and fast cars, no atom of hardwork. Our universites are producing engineers that cant draw masterplan, man, we are on a downward spiral and we have to change that,
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by igbsam(m): 9:24am On Jul 22, 2011
The 2nd picture got me shedding tears,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Rossikk(m): 9:28am On Jul 22, 2011
ka24dett said:

So what u are saying is that nigeria is better off today than previous years??

ABSOLUTELY 1000%

man, be honest to urself for once,  Look at the history of nigerian railway, they had many locomotives running from the north-south route

The railway was set up by the British to transport Nigerian resources from the north to the southern ports, for export. The export earnings were retained in Britain. The railway was essentially a tool for your exploitation.

same goes for all our infrastructures

What ''infrastructures'' do you know that the British built for you? How many miles of roads did they build? Let me see: 1/20th of what we have TODAY. And all but a few of the 'roads' they built were DIRT roads.

Quit blaming the british for what they did

I won't blame them cos they're natural-born thieves. What I won't stand is deluded people like you who don't know what you're talking about, coming here to praise them for their do-nothing brigandage out of your colonial inferiority complex.

what damage have we done ourselves? we live in a society that values fast money and fast cars, no atom of hardwork. Our universites are producing engineers that cant draw masterplan,  man, we are on a downward spiral and we have to change that

Under the British you had NO universities. Which do you prefer? Statistically, under the British YOU would have been an illiterate. Which do you prefer, your current literacy courtesy of black rule, or illiteracy courtesy of white rule?
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by KA24DETT(m): 9:32am On Jul 22, 2011
The question is not what the british did and didnt do, The question is what have we done to bing this country up, so stop posting all these pictures and blaming the british, u can only blame the british for so long, u have to take charge of ur destiny, the reason we are not going anywhere is in part to the greed of our leaders, african countries like botswana got their independence in 1966 and was a very poor country GDP $78 is  now one of the top countries in africa ( they dont require visa to canada) with GDP $14800 (2010). Their leaders want their country to develop and so they shunned corruption,  Its about time we work to get this country where it is supposed to be,
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by akinnux(m): 9:32am On Jul 22, 2011
It's a pity, the better days are gone in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by KA24DETT(m): 9:37am On Jul 22, 2011
Rossikk:

ka24dett said:

ABSOLUTELY 1000%

The railway was set up by the British to transport Nigerian resources from the north to the southern ports, for export. The export earnings were retained in Britain. The railway was essentially a tool for your exploitation.

What ''infrastructures'' do you know that the British built for you? How many miles of roads did they build? Let me see: 1/20th of what we have TODAY. And all but a few of the 'roads' they built were DIRT roads.

I won't blame them cos they're natural-born thieves. What I won't stand is deluded people like you who don't know what you're talking about, coming here to praise them for their do-nothing brigandage out of your colonial inferiority complex.

Under the British you had NO universities. Which do you prefer? Statistically, under the British YOU would have been an illiterate. Which do you prefer, your current literacy courtesy of black rule, or illiteracy courtesy of white rule?

Am not saying the british did great for nigeria,,, all am saying is that we should stop BLAMING the british for where we are today, We did this to ourself so if u still sit there and think that the british would develop our country and leave it better than they saw it,, u are wrong,,, it why they are called colonial masters ,,, they come to take, ITs what happens after that matters,,, they laid the little framework they can for u ,, even though u claimed they didnt do much, but we should have worked from the little they did and go from there but we didnt,,, we just sat down and wait for dem oil from nigerdelta to flow in. so now,, whos fault it is that we are in a state of corruption
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Rossikk(m): 9:39am On Jul 22, 2011
KA24DETT said

The question is not what the british did and didnt do

Oh yes it IS the question. Are you and your friends not here praising them to high heavens for doing nothing?? And then when I say ''NO. They did nothing'', you say I'm blaming them. I wouldn't 'blame' them if you didn't praise them.

The question is what have we done to bing this country up

We've done a lot. We've cut infant mortality from 250 per thousand in colonial times to 90 per thousand today. We have 120 universities, from 0 in 1960. We have more roads, more hospitals, more schools, more professionals, and a far larger middle class than we did under colonialism. We have achieved a LOT compared to where we were in the 1960s. There's a lot to do yet, but you'd be absolutely crazy to say we've achieved nothing.

u have to take charge of your destiny, the reason we are not going anywhere is in part to the greed of our leaders

Maybe YOU are not going anywhere. Many Nigerians are doing a lot better these days. Our economy is the third fastest growing in the world today at 8.5% per annum. Things are moving. Go out there and contribute your own, rather than coming here to rubbish your country.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Witi(m): 9:46am On Jul 22, 2011
Old Nigerian Map

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by igbsam(m): 9:53am On Jul 22, 2011
The MV AUREOL, delivered to Apapa.

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Witi(m): 9:55am On Jul 22, 2011
Obey Commander

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by kulutempa: 10:01am On Jul 22, 2011

@Rossikk, you are either ignorant or you are a liar.   The University of Ibadan was founded in 1948 when the British were still ruling us.  Here is the link to its history:     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Ibadan

You are a classic example of what is wrong with Nigeria today:  Lack of depth and critical thinking,  mental laziness, shoddiness, and making  baseless self serving statements without any shred of evidence.   I have not scolded anybody before on Nairaland, but you asked for it mate.  You really did.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Sanusi Lamido Arrested, Exiled To Nasarawa After Dethronement As Emir Of Kano / Sokoto Road, Kaduna: El-Rufai Constructs Road That Looks Like European Road / Photo Of Bianca Ojukwu After Slapping Ebelechukwu Obiano As Nigerians React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.