Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,125 members, 7,821,858 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds (113362 Views)

Throwback Photo Of Buhari As A Tennis Player In The 70s / Throwback Photo Of Bukola Saraki & His Dad In The 60s / Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by franktolk(m): 10:50pm On Jul 21, 2011
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Kashif(m): 10:52pm On Jul 21, 2011
I saw much more here, than I saw at the national museum Onikan here in Lagos. I think those guys should come and view this thread, and see they are nowhere!

God bless all the contributors; God bless Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by YoAdek333(m): 10:59pm On Jul 21, 2011
Ileke-IdI - nice pictures.

The decay of the past 4 decades is testament to what happens when several people emulate the lowest in our society. The greed of our political leaders, is copied by the business community and on down. I remember the 'good old days' in the 70's when farmers and traders would place items for sale on the side of the roads with prices and with the owner absent people would stop, purchase items and pay correctly. The honor system was alive and well.

Now it is getting harder and harder to find that honor system. If people do not even keep the honor system in their personal relationships how can we expect that in business or government. An apple rots from the core. The result is everywhere to be see. Everyone wants the flashy car but on bad roads?! Everyone wants the fancy TV - but no electricity. The fancy bathroom finishes - but no water. Putting the cart before the horse I dare say.

God help us to help ourselves.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by franktolk(m): 11:03pm On Jul 21, 2011

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by franktolk(m): 11:10pm On Jul 21, 2011
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by titsqueez(m): 11:13pm On Jul 21, 2011
In all seriousness these pics actually make me feel angry, angry at the extent to which the country has been ra.ped by its own people. Yes those Brits also came to rob and steal, they also left foundation that would have made Naija really great today if so called leaders had built on those foundations. Now na every man for himself. angry
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Breeze5000: 11:33pm On Jul 21, 2011
POTUT:

We lost it when [b]Buhari & IBB [/b]opened their minds in sequence to the lust and lucre of power. That was also when the brain drain started.

Sorry, I don't believe the two were the same. One brought in Discipline (Naijas biggest problem) the other Legalized Corruption. Now that's the way i see it
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by OgidiBoy(m): 11:43pm On Jul 21, 2011
Wow!! amazing pictures, I applaud all that have posted such wonderful pictures. Best thread on Nairaland, look at all the unity. Hopefully the trouble makers won't derail this grate thread.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by Breeze5000: 12:09am On Jul 22, 2011
Compared to where they got all these pics from, this is just a tip of the iceberg. Below is the Facebook Link to see more than 2000pics

The Nigerian Nostalgia 1960 -1980 Project Photos2,370 photos
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=152978661409591

It's heart breaking seeing what Naija used to be like, but also comforting to know that this present Generation (the Youths) wants change
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by kulutempa: 12:21am On Jul 22, 2011
In my opinion, Nigeria lost the plot when we discovered oil.  The oil was like the serpent in our own garden of Eden, bearing a golden apple with a rotten core, but we did not realise it at the time.  It destroyed everything of value in Nigeria, including   our work ethic and our productivity.  However and even more disastrously, it destroyed our value system which is why even poor people in the pictures we have just seen had a dignified and confident look about them.     The oil boom started in the mid to late 70s and not surprisingly this was the period when you had the so called "emergency contractors" in Nigeria.   Our farmers left their farms and flocked to the cities to partake in the easy effortless oil wealth that came out of pipes in the ground.   Everybody started believing in the mantra of quick easy  money and looked down on those who toiled and worked hard to earn a living.   You had men with limited education and the  morals of hyenas suddenly becoming overnight millionaires courtesy  of inflated contracts and kickbacks.   Yes, it started from there and the rot, like an avalanche rolled down until it swept everything away:  our innocence, our pride, and our humanity.  The horror  it left behind is  the Nigeria of  today.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by 5d5b1(m): 12:24am On Jul 22, 2011
wow! that was depressing!
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by linkin8k(m): 12:31am On Jul 22, 2011
Its just a pity
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by mithel(m): 1:01am On Jul 22, 2011
Hmmmm,though born 40/30 yrs after this period,am still shocked at this pix.damn.

Am going to analyse it my way.

The Problem falls on both the leaders and the people.

Leaders.:
1)corruption.
2)bad leadership.
3)lack of forsight.
4)bad policies
5)self centredness.

People
1)population-our parents too born pikin,a parent then had like 20 children.dats why i advocate 4 a max of 3 children per family until further notice.
2)loss of national belief and pride-its even worse nowadays with all the tribalists and seccessionists.if u watch ghana,what started their awakening was the belief,and it shows in everything they do,even football.r u in doubt?watch a ghanian's response to his anthem n see a 9jarian's own.
3)ethnic and religious sentiments-again it now worse this days,we need to shove this ethnicity.it aint letting us grow.
4)choosing the wrong leaders-it has always been our problem.

The problem both of the have in common is the discovery of oil.damn that thing na curse,thats why i laugh when ppl say north and west will suffer if east leaves,they might suffer for some time,but it will only wake them up and the pyramids n cocoa will cme bak,and i wont be surprised if its the east that will learn the bitter lesson last,i forsee the same nigeria scenario happening in biafra and the fact that oil will finish one day seems to escape people's mind.

So lets come together and build nigeria back from scratch.

Nigeria,GOOD PEOPLE,GREAT NATION.WE CAN DO IT.ing us grow.
4)choosing the wrong leaders-it has always been our problem.

The problem both of the have in common is the discovery of oil.damn that thing na curse,thats why i laugh when ppl say north and west will suffer if east leaves,they might suffer for some time,but it will only wake them up and the pyramids n cocoa will cme bak,and i wont be surprised if its the east that will learn the bitter lesson last,i forsee the same nigeria scenario happening in biafra and the fact that oil will finish one day seems to escape people's mind.

So lets come together and build nigeria back from scratch.

Nigeria,GOOD PEOPLE,GREAT NATION.WE CAN DO IT.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by AbuMaryam1(m): 1:13am On Jul 22, 2011
kai! Are those pictures of Nigeria of Today? mhm the lesson i learn from this pix, some are progressing while some regressing , Others countries have developed from the independence to date, but in my country is the reverse.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by proudly9ja(m): 1:41am On Jul 22, 2011
Tos Benson and Charlotte Clotworthy- Benson in front of their first home on King George Avenue -- Herbert Macaulay , now Otunba Benson Avenue Yaba

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by proudly9ja(m): 1:45am On Jul 22, 2011
train near the waterfall area

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by proudly9ja(m): 1:48am On Jul 22, 2011
Visit to Father Xmas at Kingsway Stores, Marina, Lagos. 1973

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by proudly9ja(m): 1:51am On Jul 22, 2011
The Bar @ Yankari Game Reserve 1979

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by proudly9ja(m): 1:56am On Jul 22, 2011
Adenran Ogunsanya Street Suru-Lere Lagos Nigeria

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by proudly9ja(m): 1:58am On Jul 22, 2011
Emmanuel Ifeajuna being feted after he won the commonwealth gold for the high jump in 1954. Far right is Sir Mobolaji Bank Anthony. To the left is Sir James Robertson, Governor General of Nigeria, Can anyone Identify the other 2 gentlemen?

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by proudly9ja(m): 2:05am On Jul 22, 2011
Biology students @ Queen’s college, Lagos – 1959 (Courtesy Getty pics)

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by proudly9ja(m): 2:06am On Jul 22, 2011
Carter Bridge

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by proudly9ja(m): 2:10am On Jul 22, 2011
Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, circa 1968. They had buffet in the Universities, before it was scrapped when the Military returned in the Early Eighties

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by proudly9ja(m): 2:12am On Jul 22, 2011
"OUR ENEMIES ARE THE POLITICAL PROFITEERS,THE SWINDLERS,THE MEN IN HIGH AND LOW PLACES THAT SEEK BRIBES AND DEMAND 10 PERCENT;THOSE THAT SEEK TO KEEP THE COUNTRY DIVIDED PERMANENTLY SO THAT THEY CAN REMAIN IN OFFICE AS MINISTERS OR VIPS AT LEAST.THE TRIBALISTS,THE NEPOTISTS,THOSE THAT MAKE THE COUNTRY LOOK FOR NOTHING BEFORE INTERNATIONAL CIRCLES,THOSE THAT HAVE CORRUPTED OUR SOCIETY AND PUT THE NIGERIAN POLITICAL CALENDER BACK BY THEIR WORDS AND DEED".THIS ARE THE WORDS OF MAJOR PATRICK CHUKWUMA KADUNA NZEOGWU JAN. 15 1966.THE LEADER OF THE FIRST MILITARY COUP IN NIGERIA.

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by proudly9ja(m): 2:16am On Jul 22, 2011
Going home after church (Cathedral Church of Christ) on Odunlami St.
From Left to Right: Wole Williams, T.O. Ipaye (head turned), Ore Williams, Sola Vigo, Bose Doherty, Ronke Vigo, Morin, Lawunmi Ajose-Adeogun, Ladi Ajose-Adeogun, Gani Alagongon (partially blocked by Ladi) and Sumbo Ajose-Adeogun. Photo by: Jackie Phillips (1961 or '62)

Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by MeandSum: 2:51am On Jul 22, 2011
EzeUche:

1959: Dr. Nnamdi Azikwe's Chauffeur, Onitsha, Nigeria Elisofon, Eliot photographer

ooh shocked i thought you said it somewhere that only Yoruba them day black? this guy no be Igbo?
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by EzeUche(m): 2:59am On Jul 22, 2011
MeandSum:

ooh shocked i thought you said it somewhere that only Yoruba them day black? this guy no be Igbo?

Abeg! Do not make this a tribal discussion. angry
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by amor4ce(m): 3:04am On Jul 22, 2011
Na wa o! No stinking open gutters then. No floods as well. What are the architects and town planners of today doing and what have they been learning or refusing to learn? What could have been going on within the heads and hearts of those generations who supervised the degeneration/devolution?

They talk of "good ol' days" and have we experienced such? I felt bitter after seeing these pictures but then also felt hope for our future.
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by MeandSum: 3:04am On Jul 22, 2011
EzeUche:

Abeg! Do not make this a tribal discussion.  angry

Sorry, i was just wondering out loud there. trying to fit this image into what you said few weeks ago.

Great collection BTW! love the old images!
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by aljharem3: 3:06am On Jul 22, 2011
Na wa ooo cry cry cry cry see nigeria in those day and look at it now

best of nigeria has gone to the dogs

now lets just lets pray for better days to come
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by EzeUche(m): 3:09am On Jul 22, 2011

[img]http://www.country-data.com/frd/cs/nigeria/ng04_01a.jpg
[/img]

Preparations for building bridge over Gongola River, an infrastructure development project
Re: Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds by EzeUche(m): 3:18am On Jul 22, 2011

First ILO (International Labor Organization) African Regional Conference, Lagos, Nigeria, December 1960.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply)

Sanusi Lamido Arrested, Exiled To Nasarawa After Dethronement As Emir Of Kano / Sokoto Road, Kaduna: El-Rufai Constructs Road That Looks Like European Road / Photo Of Bianca Ojukwu After Slapping Ebelechukwu Obiano As Nigerians React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.