Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:39 PM

Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living (22856 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by Xris74: 11:02am On Aug 12, 2007
Paw-Paw:

@Xris74
You are the biggest shit carrier in america and its obvious. There's no topic where you don't denigrate Nigeria. What is your problem with Nigeria? I will send you money to return home and give you employment when you get here. Olodo mumu boy.

How can a mere clerk with the Central Bank possibly employ a PhD holder in Biotechnology? You should only qualify as my tea boy after a rigorous interview with my dog. grin

As for our country, we (like minds) will continue to criticise until things are done properly. If ever you are oppportune to travel out of Oshodi (your niche since birth) to other parts of the world where things are run as they should, then you will appreciate the need to criticise when necesary.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by presido1: 11:06am On Aug 12, 2007
Xris74:

How can a mere clerk with the Central Bank possibly employ a PhD holder in Biotechnology? You should only qualify as my tea boy after a rigorous interview with my dog. grin

As for our country, we (like minds) will continue to criticise until things are done properly. If ever you are oppportune to travel out of Oshodi (your niche since birth) to other parts of the world where things are run as they should, then you will appreciate the need to criticise when necesary.
which implies that the govt is perfect, i dispute that and its unthinkable anyway cox critics are all over the world. This is not to support the poster.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by Bankole01(m): 1:38pm On Aug 12, 2007
@paw-paw:

Yoruba people will say, "owo igbe ki'run" means money earned carrying shit no dey smell.

The money sent to Nigeria by the diasporans, is the second largest earner for Nigeria after oil money.
At last count, it was put at $8 billion/yr.

I rest my case.

@Babeelove:
you dey make me laf taya. a tink say a go mari you.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by dblock(m): 3:06pm On Aug 12, 2007
Thank God for "shit" to pack oh!!!! Grin Please dear lord, let Oyinbo people continue to "shit" plenty plenty so that when I finally I get my visa and escape packing "shit" in Nigeria, I will send lots of "shit" money via western union to ease the poverty rate of my country people!!!

Ayayai. Adios Meiro. That shit is funny. grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by simplyme3(f): 3:10pm On Aug 12, 2007
@Bankole -

But not all of it came from shit packing Nigerians abroad - maybe a meagre - there loads of Nigerians doing big big big business and sending money home - and vis a vis - there are a few of us doing business at home and who get money remitted to us abroad from home.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by naijaking1: 3:14pm On Aug 12, 2007
@poster

You have some unresolved anger issues.

It would do you a whole lot of medical good to rid yourself of these emotional burden.

Recommendation: Go see your psychiatrist, babalwo, priest, iman, or who ever you can bare your soul to.

You've got to get help, and soon.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by dblock(m): 3:25pm On Aug 12, 2007
Nigerians abroad make 16 Billion dollars annually, but what percentage of this money actually makes it way to Nigeria.

The vast majority of this money, is spent on Mortgages, Personal Assets, Investments Abroad, Food, Services etc, and a small percentage is invested in Nigeria

Let's be real, Nigeria does not survive off Nigerians in Diaspora.

In fact Nigerians in diaspora hurt the Nigerian economy.

A Nigerian Business mogul, was recently voted the best Black business man in America, but how much money has he ever invested in Nigeria?

Nigerians in Diaspora are the first to insult Nigeria, and this hurts the image of Nigeria, and hinders potential investments in the country.

When the poster says that Nigerians in Diaspora carry shit for a living he is speaking the truth. The vast majority of Nigerians abroad went through traumas to get away from Nigeria. They sold all their possessions, and they arrive abroad, only to realize that their degrees aren't recognized and they are then forced to make a living off manual labor. Yet they have the pride to insult Nigeria and Nigerians in Nigeria.

This isn't the case for all Nigerians in Diaspora, there are success stories. However the vast majority of Nigerians Abroad have stooped so low simply to evacuate the African continent.

How green is the Pasture Really?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by PTBNaija(f): 3:42pm On Aug 12, 2007
dblock:

Nigerians abroad make 16 Billion dollars annually, but what percentage of this money actually makes it way to Nigeria.

The vast majority of this money, is spent on Mortgages, Personal Assets, Investments Abroad, Food, Services etc, and a small percentage is invested in Nigeria

Let's be real, Nigeria does not survive off Nigerians in Diaspora.

In fact Nigerians in diaspora hurt the Nigerian economy.

A Nigerian Business mogul, was recently voted the best Black business man in America, but how much money has he ever invested in Nigeria?

Nigerians in Diaspora are the first to insult Nigeria, and this hurts the image of Nigeria, and hinders potential investments in the country.

When the poster says that Nigerians in Diaspora carry shit for a living he is speaking the truth. The vast majority of Nigerians abroad went through traumas to get away from Nigeria. They sold all their possessions, and they arrive abroad, only to realize that their degrees aren't recognized and they are then forced to make a living off manual labor. Yet they have the pride to insult Nigeria and Nigerians in Nigeria.

This isn't the case for all Nigerians in Diaspora, there are success stories. However the vast majority of Nigerians Abroad have stooped so low simply to evacuate the African continent.

How green is the Pasture Really?

You're right. But I wouldn't say that Nigerians in the diaspora hurt the economy either. Money going back, is money going back, and that does add to the economy.

I don't know what Nigerian business mogul you are talking about. . .so I'm not going to talk about him.

The only ones that i see hurting the economy really are the ones that left decent jobs to come and do menial jobs in other countries for the sake of leaving Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by dblock(m): 3:49pm On Aug 12, 2007
How about the 1000s of doctors that leave Nigeria annually.

Nigeria, one of the largest producers of Doctors, is now in shortage of doctors.

doesn't that hurt the economy
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by PTBNaija(f): 4:03pm On Aug 12, 2007
Well I did say those that do the better jobs and come to other countries to do menial jobs.

Yes, doctors leaving Nigeria hurts the economy. But I think Nigeria needs to look into why those doctors are leaving in such huge numbers. If more money was put into hospitals and updating equipment, I doubt that they would be leaving so much.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by BABEELOVE(f): 4:29pm On Aug 12, 2007
dblock:

How about the 1000s of doctors that leave Nigeria annually.

Nigeria, one of the largest producers of Doctors, is now in shortage of doctors.

doesn't that hurt the economy

I guess they all went to pack "shit"!  Since it will pay them better than being "doctors" in Nigeria!!! grin

Shit is gold!!!!

I went to a one University Alumni conference not too long ago and come and see where this Nigerian doctor was living with his family!!!  Elevator in his home to go from on floor to the other, 25-seater movie theartre and cars--Jag, Masarati and name it to die for.  Word had it that the man had many clinics and practices and all from packing "shit"!!!!  God Bless America---for giving you the chance to pack shit and show your shit money!!!!  Will Nigeria open such doors for you

I say shit is gold!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by simplyme3(f): 4:33pm On Aug 12, 2007
bankers leave their banking jobs to go to London and America to sweep the streets - how insulting on their person? dont they think?

It is sad to think because money is remitted to Nigeria annualy - u now use that to justify the flocking of Nigerians out of the country to do just any job.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by BABEELOVE(f): 4:38pm On Aug 12, 2007
simply_me:

bankers leave their banking jobs to go to London and America to sweep the streets - how insulting on their person? don't they think?

It is sad to think because money is remitted to Nigeria annualy - u now use that to justify the flocking of Nigerians out of the country to do just any job.

Have you ever asked yourself why this is the case Is it reasonable for one to leave a so called "good" life in Nigeria as you say to go and sweep streets in London  If Nigeria was so "good" why do people leave in plane fulls every day Help me understand.  It means something is wrong over here!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by PTBNaija(f): 4:45pm On Aug 12, 2007
Well the reason behind it doesn't change the fact that one is leaving a well respected job to do one that's not so well respected though. Which in itself is sad. The reason behind may justify it. . . Nigeria is not perfect, no doubt about it.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by wendymanda: 4:52pm On Aug 12, 2007
bankers leave their banking jobs to go to London and America to sweep the streets - how insulting on their person? don't they think?

But even those who leave good jobs to do menial jobs in America will not return for the cushy job they had in Nigeria. What does that mean?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by simplyme3(f): 4:55pm On Aug 12, 2007
means low self respect - paint it and call it whatever you want - it is nothing but low self esteem -

Thousands who havent stepped London or America makes millions in Nigeria doing business and working very hard - to say u can only become something in life by travelling out of Nigeria to do menial jobs abroad is nothing but an affront on your person and God who made you and gave u all it takes to succeed where ever u find yourself.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by BABEELOVE(f): 4:58pm On Aug 12, 2007
simply_me:

means low self respect - paint it and call it whatever you want - it is nothing but low self esteem -

Thousands who havent stepped London or America makes millions in Nigeria doing business and working very hard - to say u can only become something in life by travelling out of Nigeria to do menial jobs abroad is nothing but an affront on your person and God who made you and gave u all it takes to succeed where ever u find yourself.

Okay! If it the indivuals choice to have this "low self esteem", why do you have a problem with it I do not have a problem with people with "high self esteem" in Nigeria or any where else in the world. But it is the right to choose that matters most don't you think

wendymanda:

But even those who leave good jobs to do menial jobs in America will not return for the cushy job they had in Nigeria. What does that mean?

Low self esteem!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by BABEELOVE(f): 5:00pm On Aug 12, 2007
PTBNaija:

Well the reason behind it doesn't change the fact that one is leaving a well respected job to do one that's not so well respected though. Which in itself is sad. The reason behind may justify it. . . Nigeria is not perfect, no doubt about it.

Okay!  It is a choice.  I do not think it should be a problem-------to choose what type of self esteem you want for yourself. We can all still get along as we are all Nigerians! Just look at it as both sides complementing each other not opposing each other.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by simplyme3(f): 5:01pm On Aug 12, 2007
@Babeelove

We are talking here - what do u mean why do i have a problem with it - anyone can go abroad and clean gutters for all i care - but i am making a point - u dont have to do that.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by PTBNaija(f): 5:01pm On Aug 12, 2007
I feel like a lot of it comes from pride though. Like people have such great expectations of what's it's like in foreign countries. But when they come here, and it's not the golden road that they thought, they don't want to just go back to Nigeria because it's almost like admitting defeat. Like if such-and-such can do it, then I must be able to do it to. They see the success story and will go after that at any cost, even when it comes to sacrificing their own health working several jobs at a time just to live up to this image. Then they go and buy big cars to prove that "they have made it" while they are busy living in a small apartment. . .all for the sake of appearances.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by simplyme3(f): 5:02pm On Aug 12, 2007
They justify their coming by several facts - buy cars - buy big shoes - buy big TVs, buy all manner of things - to say they are living better thatn in Nigeria -.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by BABEELOVE(f): 5:05pm On Aug 12, 2007
Simply_me

You have to consider the circumstances that made people leave in the first place. If you want to make things more palatable for people to stay in Nigeria, then the work has not even started. It is nice that a few priviledged people can afford some decent living in Nigeria. Do you care what happens to the other 80%? Does the poverty rate in Nigeria bother you at all
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by PTBNaija(f): 5:07pm On Aug 12, 2007
Yeah, I agree. If you have the means and you make it, I applaud you. But money isn't everything (can be a lot of things though), if you don't have family here. . .it can be very lonely.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by BABEELOVE(f): 5:12pm On Aug 12, 2007
PTBNaija and Simply_me

You make the situation sound so simple.  It is more complicated than how you present it.  It has to do with Choice.  If one thing does not work for you, you try something else.  Even if you made a mistake leaving Nigeria, It is still a choice.  If people are fed up of living in foreign countries, they have the right to leave--it is not a prison situation you know

PTBNaija:

Yeah, I agree. If you have the means and you make it, I applaud you. But money isn't everything (can be a lot of things though), if you don't have family here. . .it can be very lonely.

It is not all about money. Let us think about a few things like quality of life and the chance to compete with the outside world by being exposed to technology and so on and so forth. It is mainly an educational process. To see a side of life very different from that of Nigeria. Money is the least of the accomplishments. You may never even have that money. But what you learn is greater than anything you can qualify materially.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by simplyme3(f): 5:14pm On Aug 12, 2007
and millions stay put in Nigeria - join the struggle and makes it through tick and thin - to those people - i say well done - not when u look at yourself and belittles yourself - dumps your job- u even have a job - dumps your job - says - no light, no water, no good road, no nothing - and then goes abroad to suffer - do any job, those jobs u cant even do in nigeria - and then they ask why u left your job in Nigeria - u say - it is because there is no light, no water, no road - where were u born in the first place?

And then after two years abroad, u come back home and start speaking through your nose saying Nigeria is this - Nigeria is that - were you not born here?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by BABEELOVE(f): 5:15pm On Aug 12, 2007
Yes it is lonely.  Very very very lonely!!! I had to over come that and find how to overcome that by making Nigerian friends here and trying to visit home as much as I can.  It may not be lonely in Nigeria but you have to give up a lot of things for having all your friends and family around you.  I guess it is personal sacrifice we all have to make by choosing where we want to live and dealing with the consequences!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by BABEELOVE(f): 5:17pm On Aug 12, 2007
simply_me:

and millions stay put in Nigeria - join the struggle and makes it through tick and thin - to those people - i say well done - not when u look at yourself and belittles yourself - dumps your job- u even have a job - dumps your job - says - no light, no water, no good road, no nothing - and then goes abroad to suffer - do any job, those jobs u can't even do in nigeria - and then they ask why u left your job in Nigeria - u say - it is because there is no light, no water, no road - where were u born in the first place?

And then after two years abroad, u come back home and start speaking through your nose saying Nigeria is this - Nigeria is that - were you not born here?

Is this the offence

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by simplyme3(f): 5:19pm On Aug 12, 2007
whats she talking @Babeelove -

what offence?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by wendymanda: 5:21pm On Aug 12, 2007

When you say millions is it Naira or Euro and dollars. The fact of the matter is millions of Naira is not really that much. As someone said earlier sometimes you work in Nigeria and don't get paid for months, that is unimaginable abroad. Those are probably what those abroad take into consideration when they chose to "pack shit" rather than return home. For people that take it offensively that people are leaving, many in Nigeria are still unemplyed. One would think with some much efflux their would be more opportunites for jobs to those still in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by PTBNaija(f): 5:22pm On Aug 12, 2007
BABEELOVE:

PTBNaija and Simply_me

You make the situation sound so simple. It is more complicated than how you present it. It has to do with Choice. If one thing does not work for you, you try something else. Even if you made a mistake leaving Nigeria, It is still a choice. If people are fed up of living in foreign countries, they have the right to leave--it is not a prison situation you know

It is not all about money. Let us think about a few things like quality of life and the chance to compete with the outside world by being exposed to technology and so on and so forth. It is mainly an educational process. To see a side of life very different from that of Nigeria. Money is the least of the accomplishments. You may never even have that money. But what you learn is greater than anything you can qualify materially.

I know it's not that simple. . .it's a lot more complicated than that, and I know most of the fault lies in Nigeria for their mismanagement of funds. Anyways. . .lets just hope that when ours and subsequent generations grow up, they can make a meaningful change in the country.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by simplyme3(f): 5:24pm On Aug 12, 2007
there is no justification for leaving a well paid job in Nigeria for a lowly rated job overseas - it is just the thrill of wanting to belong to the class of been tos.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living by BABEELOVE(f): 5:35pm On Aug 12, 2007
simply_me:

whats she talking @Babeelove -

what offence?

The offence of coming back after 2 years of leaving Nigeria and talking through the nose grin

simply_me:

there is no justification for leaving a well paid job in Nigeria for a lowly rated job overseas - it is just the thrill of wanting to belong to the class of been tos.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!  lipsrsealed

PTBNaija:

I know it's not that simple. . .it's a lot more complicated than that, and I know most of the fault lies in Nigeria for their mismanagement of funds. Anyways. . .lets just hope that when ours and subsequent generations grow up, they can make a meaningful change in the country.

If you have kids, you can understand the frustration of why people leave Nigeria.  You will definitely be forced to make a decision quickly.  How many wealthy people have their children schooling in Nigeria  You are only postponing the "shit packing" exercise or should I say "deferring the shit packing" exercise for your kids.  Since they would eventually be shipped out of the country for better education.  It is bound to happen.  People leave Nigeria for different reasons.

wendymanda:

When you say millions is it Naira or Euro and dollars. The fact of the matter is millions of Naira is not really that much. As someone said earlier sometimes you work in Nigeria and don't get paid for months, that is unimaginable abroad. Those are probably what those abroad take into consideration when they chose to "pack shit" rather than return home. For people that take it offensively that people are leaving, many in Nigeria are still unemplyed. One would think with some much efflux their would be more opportunites for jobs to those still in Nigeria.

If all the Nigerians living outside Nigeria decide to go back home, there would be chaos.  You cannot take care of the ones inside some think that "exilees" should be proud to move back home  To do what  That is a big joke!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

How Can I Get The Ecowas Passport / 50 Nigerians Stranded In Pakistan Arrive Abuja / Nigerians Living Illegally In China Are Now Going Through Hell!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.