Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,194 members, 7,860,281 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:49 AM

English Is Not An Official Language In America - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / English Is Not An Official Language In America (753 Views)

My English Is Very Bad / His English Is Very Bad / Tips For Dating A Nigerian Woman In America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

English Is Not An Official Language In America by Ilamina(f): 12:46am On Jun 21, 2022
But considered a national language

Nigeria is an anglophone country. .so I have to promote English as much as possible

Isn't it funny, uk and america, that are main English countries in the world. .don't even have English as their official language. .esp england, the owners of the language. .uk surprised me most. . English is their national language not official

But as Colonial countries . .it's us that worships the language more
English is our official language

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: English Is Not An Official Language In America by christianjoy(m): 2:35am On Jun 21, 2022
We have three national languages in nigeria

I think you know that
Re: English Is Not An Official Language In America by Ilamina(f): 2:37am On Jun 21, 2022
christianjoy:
We have three national languages in nigeria

I think you know that

Our official language is English
Re: English Is Not An Official Language In America by christianjoy(m): 2:42am On Jun 21, 2022
Ilamina:

Our official language is English
deal with that pun
Cools xx
Re: English Is Not An Official Language In America by Nobody: 3:34am On Jun 21, 2022
Lol. How does making English language an official language mean you are worshiping other people?

An official language is a language for the government, not necessarily the people.

English, Arabic, Spanish, French and German are all official languages because they are widely spoken at international level. Do you want to be speaking “wazobia” at the international stage? Or you want your government to address you in Yoruba today, Igbo tomorrow and Hausa the next?

Countries that do not use official languages have a de facto national language.

UK and America are native English speakers. They don’t need to make it their official language, it’s their de facto language.

We have over 525 languages in this country and you are comparing it with countries where majority of their citizens speak one language. Or do you want us all to be speaking your language?

2 Likes

Re: English Is Not An Official Language In America by Ilamina(f): 4:22am On Jun 21, 2022
Yureyes:
Lol. How does making English language an official language mean you are worshiping other people?

An official language is a language for the government, not necessarily the people.

English, Arabic, Spanish, French and German are all official languages because they are widely spoken at international level. Do you want to be speaking “wazobia” at the international stage? Or you want your government to address you in Yoruba today, Igbo tomorrow and Hausa the next?

UK and America are native English speakers. They don’t need to make it their official language, it’s their de facto language.

We have over 525 languages in this country and you are comparing it with countries where majority of their citizens speak one language. Or do you want us all to be speaking your language?

Thanks for the enlightenment
Re: English Is Not An Official Language In America by 1Sharon(f): 6:29am On Jun 21, 2022
Yureyes:

The fact that Nigeria has so many languages and hasn't been able to come up with a unifying language is a source of shame and shows how there's discord

There was a time the entirety of Europe spoke Latin, although it came about by colonisation but speaking a common language is what they developed within themselves and served to unify them

Africa and Nigeria hasn't been able to develop any unifying language of the sort and the common language is instead European ones.

At least south Africa is doing us proud in that aspect, multiple local languages are their official languages.

And you do know that Europe used to have multiple tribes too right? Most tribes in Europe interbreed with each other for the sake of nationalism and it worked.
Re: English Is Not An Official Language In America by Nobody: 6:37am On Jun 21, 2022
1Sharon:

The fact that Nigeria has so many languages and hasn't been able to come up with a unifying language is a source of shame and shows how there's discord

There was a time the entirety of Europe spoke Latin, although it came about by colonisation but speaking a common language is what they developed within themselves and served to unify them

Africa and Nigeria hasn't been able to develop any unifying language of the sort and the common language is instead European ones.

At least south Africa is doing us proud in that aspect, multiple local languages are their official languages.

And you do know that Europe used to have multiple tribes too right? Most tribes in Europe interbreed with each other for the sake of nationalism and it worked.

We don’t need a unifying language. Can you put in the work required to come up with a unifying language? Are you ready to invest what is required to come up with a unifying language?

Colonization is the only way to do that and the era of colonization is long gone. Why do you think Brazil speak Portuguese, US speaks English, Canada’s official language is English and French? The American continents had indigenous people long before colonization and they have their local languages. But today these countries either speak English, French or Portuguese depending on their colonizers. It’s not peculiar to Africa.

It’s okay to have several official languages, many countries have multiple official languages. I think India has 22 or so. The fact is official language is just for the government. It’s designated by the government. It doesn’t mean it’s the people’s language. Thing is, if the government makes 3 Nigerian languages “official” language, they should be able to make 525 more languages official. Classifying them as “major” languages based on the population of speakers in the country is manageable. That’s the only reason you can explain to me why someone’s language is major and mine is minor.
How will you want to have a unifying local language when we are diverse people. If ya’ll will adopt Edoid languages as the unifying language, I have no problem with that sha.

1 Like

Re: English Is Not An Official Language In America by Anaaximander(m): 6:55am On Jun 21, 2022
It's as if Nigeria is the country with the most number of spoken languages in the world.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Re: English Is Not An Official Language In America by Nobody: 6:58am On Jun 21, 2022
Nigeria is how old again? We still consider tribe and religion Just to elect leaders, is it now to adopt a local language that Nigerians will agree? Nigeria still have a growing up to do at least if we want to stay together.
Re: English Is Not An Official Language In America by Ruke1989: 7:00am On Jun 21, 2022
OP is Yoruba. Though it's understandable because they always have problem speaking English and they always fail IELTS on the 1st and 2nd attempts. They always have the feeling that all of their problems starts and ends with the fact that Yoruba is not Nigeria's official language. Ask the OP if we should pick Igbo or ijaw as Nigeria's official language, he will decline. Nigeria is bigger than Yoruba+Hausa+Igbo.
See it this way, though you may argue to boost your ego. The minorities have the whole of South South and North Central to themselves and are also in the north east. They make up the majority. Don't think you can just dominate the higher population of minorities anyhow.
Hausa = 50 million
Yoruba = 40 million
Igbo = 30 million
Other tribes = 80 million
Total = 200 million

Yoruba is just 3/20 less than 15% Nigeria population and so Yoruba language can never be an official language. You can't dominate the majority. Look for other ways to solve your problems

1 Like

Re: English Is Not An Official Language In America by 1Sharon(f): 7:09am On Jun 21, 2022
Yureyes:

We don’t need a unifying language. Can you put in the work required to come up with a unifying language? Are you ready to invest what is required to come up with a unifying language?

Colonization is the only way to do that and the era of colonization is long gone. Why do you think Brazil speak Portuguese, US speaks English, Canada’s official language is English and French? The American continents had indigenous people long before colonization and they have their local languages. But today these countries either speak English, French or Portuguese depending on their colonizers. It’s not peculiar to Africa.

It’s okay to have several official languages, many countries have multiple official languages. I think India has 22 or so. The fact is official language is just for the government. It’s designated by the government. It doesn’t mean it’s the people’s language. Thing is, if the government makes 3 Nigerian languages “official” language, they should be able to make 525 more languages official. Classifying them as “major” languages based on the population of speakers in the country is manageable. That’s the only reason you can explain to me why someone’s language is major and mine is minor.
How will you want to have a unifying local language when we are diverse people. If ya’ll will adopt Edoid languages as the unifying language, I have no problem with that sha.

Did you read what I just said?

South Africans did it.

They have their local languages as their official languages.

They are diverse too.
Re: English Is Not An Official Language In America by postbmd: 9:19am On Jun 21, 2022
Ilamina:
But considered a national language

Nigeria is an anglophone country. .so I have to promote English as much as possible

Isn't it funny, uk and america, that are main English countries in the world. .don't even have English as their official language. .esp england, the owners of the language. .uk surprised me most. . English is their national language not official

But as Colonial countries . .it's us that worships the language more
English is our official language
what is there official language
Re: English Is Not An Official Language In America by Ilamina(f): 9:29am On Jun 21, 2022
postbmd:
what is there official language
they have no official language
Re: English Is Not An Official Language In America by postbmd: 9:34am On Jun 21, 2022
Ilamina:
they have no official language
undecided
Re: English Is Not An Official Language In America by Ilamina(f): 9:38am On Jun 21, 2022
Yureyes:

We can make english our national language not official

(1) (Reply)

HELP Please / Our First Sex Together Was On The Wedding Night / I Sucked Him So Hard(bj)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.