Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,040 members, 7,828,659 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal (23369 Views)

I Am Only Respecting Tinubu. If You Dare Me, I Will Surprise You - Fubara / My VP Slot Belongs To Christians – Tinubu / Tinubu: If I Am Elected President, Edo Will Become As Beautiful As Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by dre11(m): 6:49am On Jun 21, 2022
Tinubu: If My VP Nominee Decides to Step Down Within Timeframe, That’ll Be No Breach

•Says consultation with Buhari, others ongoing

•Place holder a Nigerian invention with no foothold in law, INEC clears

•Insists presidential candidates already submitted names of running mates

•Commission holds concert to mobilise voters for registration

Presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, last night, cleared the air about the status of his choice running mate, a former National Welfare Secretary of the APC, Kabiru Ibrahim Masari, whom he insisted was duly nominated, but could choose to step down within stipulated time, and would not have breached any known laws, rules or regulations.

Tinubu, who maintained that Masari remained his choice as running mate and also denied sending his name in as a place holder, however, said consultations with President Muhammadu Buhari and other stakeholders of the ruling APC were still ongoing.

This is as the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), yesterday, fired warning shots at politicians, saying their new invention – the use of place holder – to sidestep its deadline was not only unknown to law, but alien to democratic practice.

It warned that there were no forms or space in its forms for Place Holders, stating categorically that as far as it was concerned, the parties fielding candidates for next year’s presidential election, have submitted the names of their running mates as at the July 17 deadline as contained in the schedule of activities by the commission.

Responding to comments by INEC’s National Commissioner of Information and Chairman, Voter Education, Festus Okoye, while on ARISE TV, Tinubu’s Media Aide, Tunde Rahman, maintained that Masari was his principal’s choice of vice-presidential candidate for 2023 general election and the situation remained so, despite ongoing consultations.

He said: “Without taking issues with the INEC National Commissioner, I just like to state the situation as it relates to the presidential candidate of the APC, Asíwájú Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

“And it is that Asíwájú Tinubu has duly completed his nomination forms, including giving the particulars of his running mate. He has returned the completed nomination forms to INEC. He even returned the forms two days ahead of schedule.

“I don’t know about a placeholder. This is the coinage of the media. I know he has picked a running mate.”

He, however, reiterated that consultations were still ongoing between President Muhammadu Buhari, Tinubu, his running mate, Masari and the APC national leadership.

Conversely, Rahman hinted that, if Masari, on his own volition, decides to step down as vice presidential candidate within the stipulated time frame given by INEC, no provisions of the constitution and the electoral laws could be viewed to have been observed in the breach.

He said, “I must add, however, that there are ongoing consultations involving President Buhari, the party’s governors and the APC leadership with Asíwájú Tinubu and his running mate. If following these consultations, the running mate decides, for instance, that he wants to stand down in the interest of the party and the country, I think it’s only fair and appropriate to allow him deal with that as long as it is done within the spheres of the electoral law and the timeframe for that, given by INEC.

“I think it’s within the prerogative of the running mate to take his own decision and to say, for instance, that he would like to stand down because he feels doing so will serve the candidate and the party better than he remaining on the ticket. And that this is done in line with the provision of the law and INEC guidelines and timetable. This is the way it is.”

INEC had yesterday said the idea of ‘Place Holder’ was a Nigerian invention, which had no place in the constitution or any legal foothold, adding also that there was no provision for such option in the forms submitted by the parties.

This nonetheless, INEC has commenced a five-day musical concert from yesterday, June 20 to Saturday, June 25, with the sole objective of enhancing and mobilising more registration of voters in the ongoing exercise.

Speaking on the ARISE Television Morning Show, Okoye, hinted at how political parties could substitute its vice-presidential candidates, a process not as easy as it was originally made it seem by the parties.

Some of the presidential candidates had submitted to INEC, what they referred to as space or place holders.

Deadline for all the 18 political parties to submit the names of their presidential candidates and running mates had elapsed on June 17 2022.

Thus, with the use of place holder, it presupposes that such vice-presidential candidates would be substituted later as they were only put in to beat the deadline provided by the Electoral Act.

But, while the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, beat the deadline and submitted the name of Delta State Governor, Ifeanyi Okowa, as his running mate, the likes of Labour Party (LP) and the APC are yet to pick their running mates.

In a desperate bid to beat deadline, therefore, Tinubu, submitted the name of Masari, while Peter Obi gave INEC the name of his Campaign Director-General, Doyin Okupe.

Okoye, who stated the running mates could only be substituted by writing to the commission, and attaching a sworn affidavit, said, “The law says that as a presidential candidate, you must nominate an associate to run with you and as far as the Independent National Electoral Commission is concerned, the presidential candidates have submitted their associates to run with them in the presidential election.

“As far as we are concerned, there’s no form submitted by the presidential candidates, where they said, ‘we’re submitting this person’s name as a place or space holder’. The issue of space or place holder is a unique Nigerian invention, that has no place in our constitutional and legal framework.

“Politically, parties’ candidates have submitted names of associates to run with them and that is the position of the law as at today and nothing has changed. For there to be a substitution of candidate, the vice-presidential candidate must write to INEC, with a sworn affidavit, stating that he is withdrawing from the race within the time frame provided by the law. That’s the only way there can be a substitution of candidates.”

Okoye also told THISDAY that though the commission was not aware of any court order on extension for registration, INEC would do everything within the law to mobilise more voter registration within the period under the view, adding that the musical mobilisation was to enhance more Nigerians to register between June 25 and June 25 .

“The commission will, towards the end of June, meet to review the voter registration exercise and determine the way forward. As the INEC chairman said during the musical concert in Lagos, the Abuja musical concert is aimed at mobilising all prospective Nigerians, who have come of age to go and register.”

The musical mobilisation concert, Okoye, added, was expected to last five working days.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2022/06/21/tinubu-if-my-vp-nominee-decides-to-step-down-within-timeframe-thatll-be-no-breach/

Lalasticlala

4 Likes

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by KUNZEH(m): 6:49am On Jun 21, 2022
Ok

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by Fahdiga(m): 6:51am On Jun 21, 2022
Confused person. You said the presidency is your lifetime ambition yet all your life you haven't prepared for who to be your running mate. This goes a long way to prove that you don't have any solution to move Nigeria forward but you just wanted to answer the president by fire by force.

144 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by Segues: 6:51am On Jun 21, 2022
Honesty I'm still understand INEC's Position
Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by awoniyi1236(m): 6:52am On Jun 21, 2022
grin Tinubu is Buhari pro max . The bitter Truth is that he has no plan

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by MonkeyMods(m): 6:52am On Jun 21, 2022
I've been waiting for any blogger that will put Tinubu and Masari side by side and let Nigerians see the type of personalities that are aiming to represent us.

But see PO, he exudes poise and charisma. Add his penchant for good governance, integrity and accountability and you will have a very good man with the interest of Nigeria and Nigerians at heart.

Nigerians... e ji, e ma sun
May una wake up oooo

55 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by triple996(m): 6:53am On Jun 21, 2022
Waillers over to u grin

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by Nobody: 6:56am On Jun 21, 2022
I have said it before, their is no way Muslim/Muslim ticket will work in Nigeria considering the fact that these religious fanatics on NL and suppose to also Admonish the Friday Junta that is being practice on these NL posts.

Muslims have infested so many lives with Havoc, Chaos, Grief, Pain, Dismay, Agony, Betrayals.

They are opportunist, Blood Suckers, and Wailers in form of MURIC and HISBAB and BOKO-HARAM. Muslims should be given their entity.

WE won't allow these people on our country anymore.

Nigeria must disintegrate before they covet our future generation.

Whereas I see Osibanjo decamping to Labour Party, serving as third time VP in history and in 2027 Peter will step down for him and eventually he will win next election for our president)

No more APC/PDP strains........

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by ubaobi: 6:57am On Jun 21, 2022
I don't know what the noise is all about, the election timetable released by INEC shows that political parties can substitute candidates not later than 17/07/2022 provided the candidate being substituted notifies INEC in writing that he/she wants to withdraw from the contest, supported by a sworn affidavit.

19 Likes

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by JaySterling: 6:57am On Jun 21, 2022
Confused man!!!!

How can the presidential candidate of the ruling party still be shopping for a VP at this time

Kabiru Masari is obviously going to step down soon

But the fact that you couldn’t pick a VP running mate immediately, shows how unprofessional and unprepared you are for the job.

I’m voting P.O
But big kudos and respect to Atiku

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by oluseyiforjesus(m): 6:57am On Jun 21, 2022
Who understand wat he's saying

1 Like

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by Lovenorth: 6:57am On Jun 21, 2022
Constitution of Nigeria is not against Muslim Muslim ticket and any faith that goes against it should not complain of marginalisation when we form our government next year, religion is never a factor what matters is compitent hands in the government

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by Blackazuma99(m): 6:57am On Jun 21, 2022
APC and confusion is 5&6....
Every other political party in nigeria submitted the name of there vice presidential candidates without stress and confusion.
Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by kollinz1234(m): 6:58am On Jun 21, 2022
It is a protracted preposterous lie that without the support of core northern Muslims; only 1/6 of Nigeria's purported 200 million population, a presidential candidate cannot win an election in Nigeria. The North has relied on manipulations and fallacious voter population claims, and also banked heavily on the population stats of the defunct Northern region which included the Middle Belt region. This is why the core north refuses to recognise the sovereignty and self-sufficiency of the Middle Belt region.

The Nigerian electoral laws require that a presidential candidate must score at least 2/3 of the votes cast to win in a presidential election. Accordingly, one can win a presidential election in Nigeria by securing most of the votes in southern Nigeria and the Middle Belt. Note that the Middle Belt includes Plateau, Benue, Taraba, Kogi, Kwara, Niger, Nasarawa, Adamawa, Southern Kebbi, Southern Kaduna, Southern Bauchi, Southern Gombe, Southern Yobe, Southern Borno and the FCT. This is undoubtedly the largest region in Nigeria.

Most people underestimate the global population of Igbos. In Lagos alone, it has been purported that Igbos make up about 47% of the total population. Igbos make up large proportions and significantly control major economies such as Lagos, Portharcourt, Enugu, Onitsha, Aba, Owerri, Abakiliki, Abuja, Kaduna, Jos, Kano, Gusau, Bauchi, etc. The Igbo population in the diaspora is also significant. Consequently, diaspora remittances by Igbos alone are believed to be worth more than $20 billion annually.

From the aforementioned, if the Igbos decide to register massively for PVC and they vote massively in a free, fair, credible and electronic election in 2023; coupled with the overwhelming support from the Middle Belt, the Niger Delta and most parts of the Southwest, and without the usual apathy, disenfranchisement, rancour or political gimmicks orchestrated by the northern oligarchy and their allies, they will certainly not need the endorsement of the North. And they will clinch the nation's top job almost seamlessly.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by ststarring: 6:58am On Jun 21, 2022
We say no to MUSLIM MUSLIM ticket

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by UrPapa: 6:58am On Jun 21, 2022
Fahdiga:
Confused person. You said the presidency is your lifetime ambition yet all your life you haven't prepared for who to be your running mate. This goes a long way to prove that you don't have any solution to move Nigeria forward but you just wanted to answer the president by fire by force.
Same thing your Obi will still quote

7 Likes

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by Mairalan: 6:58am On Jun 21, 2022
As a Yoruba I don't know why I hate this man so much

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by slickbak(m): 6:58am On Jun 21, 2022
shocked
Sit down dia, which VP?
Obviously looking for a puppet to install.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by Toriagirl(f): 6:58am On Jun 21, 2022
Oga go and rest jare, you're weak!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by adelekeolu(m): 6:59am On Jun 21, 2022
STAY FROM DR.GS BEFORE KILLS YOU
Fahdiga:

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by adelekeolu(m): 6:59am On Jun 21, 2022
STAY FROM DRUGS BEFORE K.LLS YOU
Fahdiga:

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by Fahdiga(m): 6:59am On Jun 21, 2022
UrPapa:

Same thing your Obi will still quote
You shouldn't compare Obi and Tinubu in this situation. Obi just joined a new party while Tinubu has been the national leader of his party since the satanic party was formed

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by Tutonig: 7:00am On Jun 21, 2022
Oloriburuku

Shaky shaking granpa should have be enjoyinf his loot in peace waiting for the day his maker will call him

Instead, he wants to inflict more suffering on us

Oh my God, I hate Atiku more

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by Crazeworld(m): 7:01am On Jun 21, 2022
Mairalan:
As a Yoruba I don't know why I hate this man so much
Now you know.

9 Likes

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by olaric(m): 7:01am On Jun 21, 2022
I don't like politicians, who is Tinubu trying to fool by insisting that Masari is his running mate? You told us it's your lifelong ambition to become president; how come you are only now consulting with the president to pick a running mate? It's like someone saying I am waiting for the rain to start in June before I will start window shopping.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by Lanretoye(m): 7:01am On Jun 21, 2022
Some people who knows nothing about politics here are just saying rubbish.they think politics has a permanent formular without predictions and permutations.there are several cacus in the APC and that is the structure,all cacus and players have to be duly consulted in decision making and thats what tinubu has been doing.he can't impose on them without consultation...any way,i see this as a IGBO/YORUBA/HAUSA affair and not about credible candidate.people talking about his age dont even know that Joe biden is 79years and has fallen over the podium on several occasions,tinubu is 70years old.

11 Likes

Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by Fahdiga(m): 7:02am On Jun 21, 2022
adelekeolu:
STAY FROM DRUGS BEFORE K.LLS YOU
How? For saying the honest truth?
Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by DSC7: 7:02am On Jun 21, 2022
I pray he doesn't step down...
Re: Tinubu: If My VP Steps Down Within INEC Timeframe, It Is Legal by Proudlyngwa(m): 7:03am On Jun 21, 2022
MonkeyMods:
I've been waiting for any blogger that will put Tinubu and Masari side by side and let Nigerians see the type of personalities that are aiming to represent us.

But see PO, he exudes poise and charisma. Add his penchant for good governance, integrity and accountability and you will have a very good man with the interest of Nigeria and Nigerians at heart.

Nigerians... e ji, e ma sun
May una wake up oooo
Y not ask them to put okupe and obi together, let's see hypocrisy pro max

14 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Governor Wike To Remain In PDP As He Declares Support For Atiku / Anna Cunningham, Phil Hazelwood Slam Femi Adesina For 'lying' Over Casualties / Sadiya Farouq: FG To Pay 24 Million Poor Nigerians N5,000 Each

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.