Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,815 members, 7,810,130 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:23 PM

Drought In East Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Drought In East Africa (2520 Views)

Lagos GDP Exceeds Kenya East Africa Beefiest Economy - The Economist. / Africa/nigeria's Role In The Drought In Africa. Economics Of Aids / Nigerians In East London. . . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Drought In East Africa by NightDog: 10:19am On Jul 24, 2011
What's Nigeria doing to assist the aid effort in East Africa?
Re: Drought In East Africa by Sunofgod(m): 10:46am On Jul 24, 2011
Nothing.

We need to solve our own problems first.

Climate change is also affecting us and we haven't found the answer.

East African coutries need to come together to solve their problems. If not, they all die!!

Firstly the wars the are fighting need to be put on hold.
Re: Drought In East Africa by RichDad1(m): 10:51am On Jul 24, 2011
Flood In West Africa.
Re: Drought In East Africa by Horus(m): 11:38am On Jul 24, 2011
African countries need to produce more food, not only in quantity but also in variety.
Re: Drought In East Africa by Arosa(m): 12:11pm On Jul 24, 2011
I can't understand why peeps die of hunger in Africa. drought or no drought.
Re: Drought In East Africa by houvest: 6:07pm On Jul 24, 2011
No matter the problems we have, we must come to the aid o0f these our brothers one way or the other. 3 years without rain is no beans. The western world that is sending out so much aid still have their own challenges and that is why God is blessing them because of the biblical injunction that give and you shall receive. Let us stop being so selfish and be in the fore front of helping others especially Africans. If you ask me, I will even recommend that we start sending some sort of aid to richer countries especially when they have challenges eg US during hurricanes. Japan during their Tsunami and earthquakes,etc.
Re: Drought In East Africa by EzeUche(m): 6:09pm On Jul 24, 2011
Africa should be providing food the world. We have enough fertile land to provide food for not only us, but for the world.

I agree with Arosa and Horus.
Re: Drought In East Africa by ElRazur: 6:27pm On Jul 24, 2011
This may sound harsh but I am of the view that Nations that faces climate challenge - especially in an underdeveloped world - are at a massive disadvantage. The horn of Africa or those region has been plagued/hit by inconsistent rainfall, prolonged drought and an ever encroaching desert. Yet this same nations lack anything of interest that the world may want.

If you look on the other side of coin, in the middle east, you have nations that are within or inside what is essentially a desert or an arid region, yet this nation managed to avert food crisis. In fact, most of these nations are seen as developing nations (third world). How come it is always different for Africa?

Well, these middle-eastern country are rich in oil or sit on a vast quantity of oil and as such the world interest in them are high. Let's not forget that these nations are located in places considered "strategic position" on the face of the earth and vital to world peace at least.

Dubai, UAE, Saudi Arabia are essentially desert but it is rare for them to have food shortages. You see, without what the world want from these African nations I am afraid that most of them will die as a result of famine.

To further illustrate my point, China and India had history of food shortages and possible famine, but they all manage to avert these looming crisis in the past simply by boosting their agricultural input amongst other things.  When you look at these nations of Africa - Somalia especially. There is very little one can do when the land is nothing but desert sand.

In the past, the whole world gave handouts and aids, but given the global recession and the fact that famine is always just on the horizon in these African nations, I really do not see any hope. Perhaps it is a case of survival of the fittest?
Re: Drought In East Africa by Sunofgod(m): 6:39pm On Jul 24, 2011
ElRazur:

This may sound harsh but I am of the view that Nations that faces climate challenge - especially in an underdeveloped world - are at a massive disadvantage. The horn of Africa or those region has been plagued hit by inconsistent rainfall, prolonged drought and an ever encroaching desert. Yet this same nations lack anything of interest that the world may want.

If you look on the other side of coin, in the middle east, you have nations that are within or inside what is essentially a desert or an arid region, yet this nation managed to avert food crisis. In fact, most of these nations are seen as developing nations (third world). How come it is always different for Africa?

Well, these middle-eastern country are rich in oil or sit on a vast quantity of oil and as such the world interest in them are high. Let's not forget that these nations are located in places considered "strategic position" on the face of the earth and vital to world peace at least.

Dubai, UAE, Saudi Arabia are essentially desert but it is rare for them to have food shortages. You see, without what the world want from these African nations I am afraid that most of them will die as a result of famine.

To further illustrate my point, China and India had history of food shortages and possible famine, but they all manage to avert these looming crisis in the past simply by boosting their agricultural input amongst other things.  When you look at these nations of Africa - Somalia especially. There is very little one can do when the land is nothing but desert sand.

In the past, the whole world gave handouts and aids, but given the global recession and the fact that famine is always just on the horizon in these African nations, I really do not see any hope. Perhaps it is a case of survival of the fittest?

Most of the countries affected are not land locked. They have access to the sea and therefore have access to water.

So why do they not have irrigation systems in place?

The problem is these 'perpetual' wars they have been fighting. It leaves them with no time to plan and collectively come together to ensure there are no food shortages.

I speculate the wars are linked to the 'arab' presence in those regions.

South Sudan is in the process of escaping this trend and may in the long run become the benchmark country in that region.

Further more whenever they show those starving on TV you always see guns everywhere - they dont have food but they got plenty of AK47's.

These people need to rise up and solve their own problems. Its not beyond them.
Re: Drought In East Africa by EzeUche(m): 6:46pm On Jul 24, 2011
Sun of god:

Most of the countries affected are not land locked. They have access to the sea and therefore have access to water.

So why do they not have irrigation systems in place?

The problem is these 'perpetual' wars they have been fighting. It leaves them with no time to plan and collectively come together to ensure there are no food shortages.

I speculate the wars are linked to the 'arab' presence in those regions.

South Sudan is in the process of escaping this trend and may in the long run become the benchmark country in that region.

Further more whenever they show those starving on TV you always see guns everywhere - they dont have food but they got plenty of AK47's.

These people need to rise up and solve their own problems. Its not beyond them.

Weapons are plentiful in Somalia, but there is no food. I do not understand that. Wouldn't it be cheaper to have food than weapons?
Re: Drought In East Africa by texazzpete(m): 6:29am On Jul 25, 2011
EzeUche:

Weapons are plentiful in Somalia, but there is no food. I do not understand that. Wouldn't it be cheaper to have food than weapons?

You can buy an AK47 for $40 on the black market in Somalia. You'll use it for years. So it's definitely cheaper to buy a gun.

The Western world and the UN are the only entities trying to deliver food to the Somalis, but they are prevented from doing so by the Al Shabaab millitants.
This is why I'm convinced the African Union is a thoroughly useless organization. They have done NOTHING at all to help the situation.
Re: Drought In East Africa by juman(m): 7:07am On Jul 25, 2011
EzeUche:

Africa should be providing food the world. We have enough fertile land to provide food for not only us, but for the world.

I agree with Arosa and Horus.

True talk.
Re: Drought In East Africa by tpia5: 7:39am On Jul 25, 2011
Dont know very much about that area.

are they near a desert?

btw, i think they have international food aid coming in and the photos are very disturbing.
Re: Drought In East Africa by jaguda(m): 7:50am On Jul 25, 2011
Hunger in Nigeria, What is East Africa doing about it?
Re: Drought In East Africa by ideylaff: 9:07am On Jul 25, 2011
Hunger in Nigeria, What is East Africa doing about it?

@ jaguda.did u really type/post this, or na joke,
Re: Drought In East Africa by kodewrita(m): 9:50am On Jul 25, 2011
trust Nigerians to focus on issues outside their country while leaving their own roof on fire.

What happened to Boko Haram I and Boko Haram II?

What happened to spending money to repair major highways in nigeria?

What happened to tackling issue of high senatorial wages?

Leave all that and go for peacekeeping. Mscheew.
Re: Drought In East Africa by kpolli(m): 10:24am On Jul 25, 2011
Naija never progress, u wan make we take another country panadol baaaa

Am not being wicked but there is not much we can do, we can't have our ppl starving, then take care of ppl. . .
Re: Drought In East Africa by AreaFada2: 10:34am On Jul 25, 2011
You're joking sha,

Make person with 2 blind eyes go help someone with 1 blind eye?

Let Naija sort itself out first. All those other countries take delight in mocking naija when she has problems.
Charity should begin at home. There are LOADS of people on 010 diet in naija or should we wait till they turn skeleton before helping them?

Time for playing yeye big brother don pass.
Re: Drought In East Africa by udezue(m): 10:37am On Jul 25, 2011
Charity begins @ home not in Somalia. If they want to continue being backward and starve to death then so be it.
Re: Drought In East Africa by proffmanue(m): 11:04am On Jul 25, 2011
It's unfortunate that Africa is so bless with lot of natural resources and also cursed with Bad leadership.
Re: Drought In East Africa by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 11:25am On Jul 25, 2011
@op, since when did Nigeria become the global land of abundance, giving assistance to every starving nation? i'm not too good at bible quotations but i'm sure there is somewhere in the bible that says; "take care of the poor among you". how far has the nigerian government gone as regards taking care of the poor among Nigerians? And you want the same government to go handing out aid to the poor elsewhere? When it's christmas, we'll let you know.

it may sound harsh but the reality is that we have huge problems to deal with, food.problems included. if we don't save ourselves, then we won't be alive long enough to save others.
Re: Drought In East Africa by udezue(m): 11:29am On Jul 25, 2011
Let the East Africans save themselves. For how long will a people continue to collect handouts?
Re: Drought In East Africa by nitachi: 12:25pm On Jul 25, 2011
but all in all let us still be mindful of the biblical injunctionfor us to always be our brothers keeper,
Re: Drought In East Africa by mkmyers45(m): 12:25pm On Jul 25, 2011
Nigerian need to mind her business and contribute as little as possible to others because even her own citizens no belle-full
Re: Drought In East Africa by udezue(m): 12:29pm On Jul 25, 2011
Nitachi, please leave the Bible and religion out of this.
Re: Drought In East Africa by Arosa(m): 12:50pm On Jul 25, 2011
Africa must set up a relief fund for Africans displaced due to farming, war and any natural disasters. All African countries should pay for this fund. Simple as ABC. (we should prove to the rest of the world we are not imbecilic apes). angry
Re: Drought In East Africa by udezue(m): 12:59pm On Jul 25, 2011
Okay Arosa, I support that. It has to be a collective effort.
Re: Drought In East Africa by Arosa(m): 1:05pm On Jul 25, 2011
udezue:

Okay Arosa, I support that. It has to be a collective effort.
Sure, you never know Naija might need help someday. the money would be beneficent to all Africans.
Re: Drought In East Africa by ideylaff: 1:43pm On Jul 25, 2011
Am I reading right on here, or it's just people's exposure that is bn deisplayed on here

so not helping Somalia in terms of aid, people and manpower will solve all the problems in Nigeria. what a pity,  we have come to this,

Chei, oga ooooo

Na so we dey think these days.

Small time we will yap the oyinbos when yhey do concert to raise money,,,for them,

What we are saying plainly is that if you were once poor and no one ever helped you when you become rich you wont help
anybody as well.

Hmmmmmm,  sad
Re: Drought In East Africa by tpia5: 3:22pm On Jul 25, 2011
Do you know the amount of time and resources nigeria expended on south africa during apartheid.

Does anyone care about that today.

And nigeria itself has myriads of problems which need to be addressed.

Of course this doesnt mean nobody should help but help with wisdom.
Re: Drought In East Africa by ideylaff: 4:05pm On Jul 25, 2011
Do you know the amount of time and resources Nigeria expended on south Africa during apartheid.

Does anyone care about that today.

And Nigeria itself has myriads of problems which need to be addressed.

Of course this doesn't mean nobody should help but help with wisdom.

u have a point but the manner in which people have posted on here sounds like East Africa can go to blazes,

I have bn' giving them money through Aid Agencies from time in memorial and I do have 2 adopted kids over there bn looked after through my funds,

Trust me,  1 dollar goes a long way in this kind of situation,

£25 provides clean water for 175 people for a day

£50 feeds a family of six for two weeks

£100 keeps 140 animals alive, providing food and incomes

Everybody has a part to play, their situation is sure worse than Nigeria, okay we have people on 0 - 1 -  0, i.e, no food in the morning, lunch and no food @ night, compare that to the afffected East Africans who cant even find water to drink at all

in East Africa,  There is simply no water and no food.

Who ever GOD speaks to can do their little own if they feel like. May GOD help us all. AMEN
Re: Drought In East Africa by tpia5: 4:09pm On Jul 25, 2011
May God help us oh.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Live Update From Nlc/tuc Meeting With Fg On Fuel Subsidy / We Would Not Watch Jonathan’s Administration Drag Us Into Bankruptcy, Says ARG / Son Drags Former President Obasanjo to court For Sleeping with His Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.