Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,483 members, 7,830,429 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:02 PM

Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery (32156 Views)

CBN Directs Banks To Suspend Charges On Deposits Till September / Zenith Bank Suffers Systems Crash, Police Called In On Rowdy Abuja Customers / CBN Orders Banks To Spy On 19 Persons (Full List) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by cigaricon(m): 5:30pm On Jun 27, 2022
zicoraads:

Are you in Niger state? cheesy
Guy you know watsup grin
Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by cigaricon(m): 5:35pm On Jun 27, 2022
emmamajesty:
This momo fraud incident happened in Bida Niger State this month, to be frank Nupe boys really cashed out, many of them got 50m, 10m, 100m, 5m, 500k, 400k 250k or so and it was very massive that very day cos both the people and business men there really cashed out,
True. I hear say money finish for bank in Bida

2 Likes

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by emmamajesty: 5:39pm On Jun 27, 2022
cigaricon:
Guy you know watsup grin
even me too follow benefit from momo boys cos that very day no cash in Bida so we businessmen began to collect transfer, if u transfer 500k I will pay u 350k cash

1 Like

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by seborrhic: 5:42pm On Jun 27, 2022
emmamajesty:
This momo fraud incident happened in Bida Niger State this month, to be frank Nupe boys really cashed out, many of them got 50m, 10m, 100m, 5m, 500k, 400k 250k or so and it was very massive that very day cos both the people and business men there really cashed out,
They will all soon cry and suicide rates may skyrocket because they would be made to pay every single Kobo till they die.
With BVN there is no hiding place for such thieves.
From the report on the filed case,the banks are not disputing such illegal transaction and crediting occurred,they only told MTN they can only act if MTN via Momo issues them with a court mandated order.
This the court is likely to do,then the banks become empowered to stop transactions on all the affected accounts or seize funds in those still credit worthy till all the monies are recovered.
Since this affects almost all banks,those criminals would easily have their accounts traced and promptly blocked.
It's foolishness in this day of BVN and Nin to feel one can get away with stealing funds not belonging to oneself, particularly when it's money belonging to a big institution,not your individual credit scam where the person so defrauded may forgo the money when he/she thinks of all the police stress,bribes to the police or EFCC to act and the amount of time it would take to have back his/her stolen funds.

5 Likes

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by emmamajesty: 5:43pm On Jun 27, 2022
cigaricon:
True. I hear say money finish for bank in Bida
not only bank both pos no money to withdraw, that very u no go see where to buy phones, bike, electronics even clothes because everything finished for bida

2 Likes

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by emmamajesty: 5:47pm On Jun 27, 2022
seborrhic:

They will all soon cry and suicide rates may skyrocket because they would be made to pay every single Kobo till they die.
With BVN there is no hiding place for such thieves.
From the report on the filed case,the banks are not disputing such illegal transaction and crediting occurred,they only told MTN they can only act if MTN via Momo issues them with a court mandated order.
This the court is likely to do,then the banks become empowered to stop transactions on all the affected accounts or seize funds in those still credit worthy till all the monies are recovered.
Since these affects almost all banks,those criminals would easily have their accounts traced and promptly blocked.
cry for where, many of those guys since they open their account they never received even 5k in their life so they have nothing to be worried about

5 Likes

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by Ikea81: 5:48pm On Jun 27, 2022
Don't blame the banks..na hackers. Momo chain no block �
Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by madgoat(m): 5:52pm On Jun 27, 2022
What is the mtn money app?
Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by seborrhic: 5:55pm On Jun 27, 2022
emmamajesty:
cry for where, many of those guys since they open their account they never received even 5k in their life so they have nothing to be worried about
You seem not to even understand the gravity of the situation.
One way or the other people use financial institutions,even if they are poor,be it POS,Momo,etc.
The banks simply allow crediting of the account,but won't allow money to be taken out.
For those they feel their transactions won't pay for the funds they stole,they just send police after them because it's fraud and we are talking of the 2 biggest set of organisations in Nigeria,MTN and the banks,that can easily mobilise the police or EFCC to go after the thieves.
If they can't get back the money,they are charged to court and would be jailed!
You think it's one ₦10k or ₦100k scam against Mr owolabi or Chukwudi we are talking about here where the person would be lamenting and cursing the fraudster only.

4 Likes

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by dustmalik: 5:56pm On Jun 27, 2022
emmamajesty:
Their BVN have been flagged already so, eventually, they will be caught. Unless they never plan to open an account in their lifetime.

3 Likes

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by moodyguy: 5:58pm On Jun 27, 2022
Mumusaphire:
nothing is threat if it is momo ooooo. They charge outrageous also and they don't have app. Only ussd code.
THEY DO ....GO TO PLAYSTORE AND DOWNLOAD
Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by dustmalik: 5:59pm On Jun 27, 2022
seborrhic:

One way or the other people use financial institutions,even if they are poor,be it POS,Momo,etc.
The banks simply allow crediting of the account,but won't allow money to be taken out.
For those they feel their transactions won't pay for the funds they stole,they just send police after them because it's fraud and we are talking of the 2 biggest set of organisations in Nigeria,MTN and the banks,that can easily mobilise the police or EFCC to go after the thieves.
You think it's one ₦10k or ₦100k scam against Mr owolabi or Chukwudi we are talking about here where the person would be lamenting and cursing the fraudster only.
The people involved in this fraud didn't really think it through. Otherwise, they would never have gotten themselves involved in it.

2 Likes

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by moodyguy: 6:03pm On Jun 27, 2022
ecolime:
MTN is on a wild goose chase. Money wey boys don clear cry

You can't hold the Banks liable for your system failure. The best they can do is lien those accounts and blacklist their BVNs.

It's just like Banks suing MTN because a fraudster hacked their account and bought Airtime. Will MTN refund the Bank? Nahh... They can only make refunds if the airtime has not been utilised.

You leave Telecoms wan dey cash out for banking too.. Momo ko, mumu ni. You have to face one.
U didnt even read d write up...... go back and read again
Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jun 27, 2022
emmamajesty:
not only bank both pos no money to withdraw, that very u no go see where to buy phones, bike, electronics even clothes because everything finished for bida

What happened at Bida is minimal compared to the amount transferred. It is just a way of shifting the main focus from the main target. As I said earlier, this fraud is perpetrated by Nigerians abroad with local accomplices. It is a well organized electronic fraud ring.

2 Likes

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by Iamstickzbaba(m): 6:04pm On Jun 27, 2022
Next!!!
Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by RepoMan007: 6:13pm On Jun 27, 2022
EkelediliBuhari:
Sounds like a conspiracy to me.

MTN got it wrong thinking they could just Waltz into the banking sector and take everything.

They should have done dry runs and possibly a little test runs before going public. I believe they are being sabotaged as this is not just a simple fraud.
Most Nigerian compromise are sabotage by those trusted with privileges to know the inside workings.

1 Like

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by Tintedsino: 6:17pm On Jun 27, 2022
This thing that Bida boys used to become big boys over night. I heard of a guy that got 163m and was able move d money to his Bitcoin wallet dat nyt. As I am talking to u now like dis, I heard d nigga is in Switzerland........sense no go kill dat guy anywhere wey him dey...

4 Likes

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by ecolime(m): 6:18pm On Jun 27, 2022
moodyguy:
U didnt even read d write up...... go back and read again
I'm sure you work with Momo PSB.

MTN is suing the banks for recovery. You are the one to read up the writeup again.

Let the courts decide.. lol

2 Likes

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by BBBricks: 6:24pm On Jun 27, 2022
Too much middle men

Most times if you buy airtime directly from your bank account it's one mtn phone number that they will use to load your account

That is the major problem, many of those franchise guys just use mtn logo or brand to collect money from people , but alot of those funds aren't remmited to mtn

They are just like nepa and fg. Hiding under mask to rob us

But I don't blame them MTN TOO NA "GRANDPA OF THIEVES"!

2 Likes

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by emmamajesty: 6:26pm On Jun 27, 2022
Tintedsino:
This thing that Bida boys used to become big boys over night. I heard of a guy that got 163m and was able move d money to his Bitcoin wallet dat nyt. As I am talking to u now like dis, I heard d nigga is in Switzerland........sense no go kill dat guy anywhere wey him dey...
na only few of them really make use of the money wisely others just squandered the money on luxury things but I won't lie, throughout that momo week u will hardly hear that they committed any crime in Bida because money flows very well in Bida

3 Likes

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by emmamajesty: 6:32pm On Jun 27, 2022
seborrhic:

I get u but the issue is those guys no send u, most of them are poor and illiterates that saw that opportunity without minding the consequences

2 Likes

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by 9gerian: 6:37pm On Jun 27, 2022
Kindly elaborate. Was it a system glitch or what?

zicoraads:
Some young ones were able to make withdrawals. A few persons bought high end phones and made transfers before some of the banks knew what was happening.
Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by jaxxy(m): 6:46pm On Jun 27, 2022
Hmmm Hope the bank placed liens on the accounts.
Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by GoodIsGod: 6:55pm On Jun 27, 2022
I knew momo won't work in Naija. It has been in use in Benin republic for years without wahala. In fact they use it more than the normal banking. But Naija's fraud can't make it work here.
Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by zicoraads: 7:03pm On Jun 27, 2022
TheEnforcer:
Nigerians and phones? I think it'd due to the poverty situation that people attach such importance to phones in that country. You don't see people in wealthy western nations do that.But in Nigeria, phonez and Cars are a status symbol and the guys have used that destroy lots of girls who obsess about them.If you get my drift
They couldn't make large withdrawals from the bank. The only way was to buy expensive phones. Expensive Samsung and i-phone 13s finished in Minna town that day.
Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by zicoraads: 7:05pm On Jun 27, 2022
9gerian:
Kindly elaborate. Was it a system glitch or what?

I don't know. But most people said it was a hack. Happened in Bida, which is about 80 kilometres to Minna town. Bida houses a polytechnic. The Poly boys were the ones who did it. Bought a lot of expensive stuff in Bida then moved to Minna town. It was a while before the hack was noticed and banks had to restrict accounts. They lost quite a ton of money.

1 Like

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by oluwatosin070: 7:19pm On Jun 27, 2022
As a Fraud Data Manager, I'll put the blame on MTN.
Since it's an erroneous transactions as they claim, they are wrong to have gone to court over the 18 banks.

However, I understand from MTN's side that they could have gotten little or no cooperation from those banks.

The way commercial banks bully Fintech companies is so huge. They count the Fintech companies as baby banks.

With the court case, the 18 banks will cooperate in helping them recoup some of the transactions.

However, it took MTN longer time to respond to these threat. I know vividly that these errors occurred around last month and people were just withdrawing huge amounts.

The truth is, it's not an erroneous transactions but a system glitch.

I pray they recover some funds. I pity their fraud analyst. This is not the best time to be one in MTN.

A similar case occurred while I was still in ECOBANK as fraud analyst; We worked out arse out in trying to recover funds.

2 Likes

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by Asour: 7:27pm On Jun 27, 2022
ithink7:

It's obviously a sabotage.
The banks are really milking customers, so they would do anything to resist positive change.

Banks - Commercial banks are not going anywhere.

And I don't Work for any.
Nigerian banks have a lot of changes to make but to disregard banks would be laughable.

2 Likes

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by Psady(m): 7:33pm On Jun 27, 2022
EkelediliBuhari:
Sounds like a conspiracy to me.

MTN got it wrong thinking they could just Waltz into the banking sector and take everything.

They should have done dry runs and possibly a little test runs before going public. I believe they are being sabotaged as this is not just a simple fraud.
something that have been in existence in other African countries for years, and yet they left loop holes knowing fully well that Nigeria cyber warlords are at war.

1 Like

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by shortIGBOman: 7:53pm On Jun 27, 2022
iCauseTrouble:
Seun, one of your admin banned me for 5 days for supporting Peter Obi. I never knew nairaland has turned to an APC forum.
I am happy Reno Omokri did similar thing to you on Twitter.

Why will you support Peter Obi? Don't you know he is the one behind all the killings in the East? You are supposed to be arrested by DSS, for supporting a criminal like Peter ObiTUARY.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by Psady(m): 8:06pm On Jun 27, 2022
post=114206970:

They should simply bring out the money the same way it was erroneously transfered to the said accounts.
Atleast the money has been traced.
if it where that easy the banks wouldn't be sued. I think mtn will lose this case in court. They better plead with the banks if they so wish to recover their money.
Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by edungene7: 8:48pm On Jun 27, 2022
incompetence of the highest order

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dangote Lost Half Of His Fortune In The Last 6 Months? / Name One Household Or Food Item Whose Price Has Come Down / Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.