Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,590 members, 7,816,455 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:29 AM

Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence (16369 Views)

Lagos Center Of Excellence / Jimi Agbaje Is Lagos PDP Governorship Candidate / Welcome To Lagos State: The Centre of Excellence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by MadDog1(m): 9:20pm On Jul 26, 2011
executinal:

@Mad Dog while all your responds flows in line with your user name? Mad Bank, Mad Man every post Mad easy ooh grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
because we are always mAd in one way or the other. check urself well and see what im talking about wink wink
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by edoyad(m): 9:50pm On Jul 26, 2011
kettykin:

actually lagos is an economic power house, from statistic i gathered from work lagos accounts for 25 percent of the income of nepa and about 60 percent of the fuel consumed in nigeria is consumed in lagos, i dont have the figure for telecommunications but my guess is that lagos accounts for much of telecom revenue.

However the status of lagos is very shaky because the giants of the south south is rising.
The south south accounts for 5 grade a airports in nigeria while south west accounts for 1 and the south east accounts for 2 , the north has just 5. In terms of capital expenditure the 4 south south excluding edo and cross river accounts for the bulk of more than 40 percent of the capital expenditure with heavy investments in ipp and highways.

From my thinking ,lagos was the center of excellence and the centre is gradually shifting towards the niger delta just like japan has lost its place to china, lagos is gradually loosing its place to niger delta.
The final blow will be the completion of the deep sea ports in akwa ibom and calabar diverting more than half the maritime cargo to the east also the internationalisation of enugu , asaba and akwa ibom airports will nail the growth of aviation business in lagos.actually lagos is an economic power house, from statistic i gathered from work lagos accounts for 25 percent of the income of nepa and about 60 percent of the fuel consumed in nigeria is consumed in lagos, i dont have the figure for telecommunications but my guess is that lagos accounts for much of telecom revenue.

However the status of lagos is very shaky because the giants of the south south is rising.
The south south accounts for 5 grade a airports in nigeria while south west accounts for 1 and the south east accounts for 2 , the north has just 5. In terms of capital expenditure the 4 south south excluding edo and cross river accounts for the bulk of more than 40 percent of the capital expenditure with heavy investments in ipp and highways.

From my thinking ,lagos was the center of excellence and the centre is gradually shifting towards the niger delta just like japan has lost its place to china, lagos is gradually loosing its place to niger delta.
The final blow will be the completion of the deep sea ports in akwa ibom and calabar diverting more than half the maritime cargo to the east also the internationalisation of enugu , asaba and akwa ibom airports will nail the growth of aviation business in lagos.
And something like 25% of all bank branches are in lag too. Sorry but i doubt if lag's position is shaky like you claim, if anything it's even consolidating that status.
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by EkoIle1: 10:03pm On Jul 26, 2011
kettykin:

The final blow will be the completion of the deep sea ports in akwa ibom and calabar diverting more than half the maritime cargo to the east also the internationalisation of enugu , asaba and akwa ibom airports will nail the growth of aviation business in lagos.

Stop smoking Ganja.
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by gboye1999: 10:11pm On Jul 26, 2011
Sorry KettyKin, dont believe lagos is loosing its status as the economic power house any time soon.
You mentioned other ports developing, thats alright but think of how many cars,containers of all sorts get cleared through Lagos port via customs.
you also mentioned airports, its not about the number of airports in any region. its more of the kind of traffic you can generate in these airports. Los is still the centre of aviation. Can you get any direct flight from the South South to the North?

Lets not forget the amount of revenue the FG generates from VAT in Lagos alone.
Every Bank in Nigeria has its head office on the island.

I just dont see lagos loosing out at all. Naturally every region needs to develop their resources but don't think lagos will be stagnant.
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by Succy4luv: 10:26pm On Jul 26, 2011
[right][/right][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] afam i dey feel u. I know say Enugu people no fit carry last.
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by aljharem(m): 10:42pm On Jul 26, 2011
kettykin:

actually lagos is an economic power house, from statistic i gathered from work lagos accounts for 25 percent of the income of nepa and about 60 percent of the fuel consumed in nigeria is consumed in lagos, i dont have the figure for telecommunications but my guess is that lagos accounts for much of telecom revenue.

The final blow will be the completion of the deep sea ports in akwa ibom and calabar diverting more than half the maritime cargo to the east also the internationalisation of enugu , asaba and akwa ibom airports will nail the growth of aviation business in lagos.actually lagos is an economic power house, from statistic i gathered from work lagos accounts for 25 percent of the income of nepa and about 60 percent of the fuel consumed in nigeria is consumed in lagos, i dont have the figure for telecommunications but my guess is that lagos accounts for much of telecom revenue.

wrong, you analysis is flawed for various reasons

1.) majority the headquaters of multinational companies and banks are located lagos

2.) Lagos is a multiethnic society where a kanuri man will feel at home or an ibibio man would feel at home. Lagos is Nigeria

3.) Lagos has marina which is like walls street USA where 90% the national transaction take place.

4.) Lagos is a place where an ibibio can be governor and an igbo can be commissioner

5.) Lagos is a place that NEVER SLEEPS

6.) Tin can in apapa is more than just a seaport but it is also the place where other african countries that are landlocked can import from and pay there dues eg chad and niger

7.) Lagos international airport is West africa and 7th in africa.

8.) Lagos is a state where the rich and famous all over the world have invested in like Arabs and russians

9.) Lagos has one of the largest markets in the world. In fact that is why it is called the commerical capitial

etc i don tire
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by jmaine: 10:45pm On Jul 26, 2011
Lagos is the economic power house of Nigeria . . .so i can say the center of excellence where everything thing goes cheesy. . .you wan hammer sharply . . .abeg show . . .you won't be disappointed . . .
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by aljharem(m): 10:46pm On Jul 26, 2011
jmaine:

Lagos is the economic power house of Nigeria . . .so i can say the center of excellence where everything thing goes cheesy. . .you wan hammer sharply . . .abeg show . . .you won't be disappointed . . .

grin grin grin grin grin grin tell them my brother wink
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jul 26, 2011
G
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by kettykin: 12:04am On Jul 27, 2011
very interesting feedbacks it shows people love lagos, sentiments apart have you considered the following.

1 the growth rate of the nigerdelta 4 compared to the growth rate of lagos.
3 airports in 3 years , 4 ipp in 4 years

2 that lagos is supersaturated and has not much room for further expansion compared to the niger delta 4.

3 the cost of living and doing business is very hight and prohibitive compared to any other state in nigeria

4 in a typical flight coming into lagos from china or from south africa has more easterners than westeners , therefore when enugu airport is ready automatically the traffic will be diverted.

5 the bulk of lagos consist of slums which can not be easily cleared unlike the nigerdleta 4 where new cities with drainages and underground water cisterns are being built

6 the nigerdelta 4 is being built from scratch with asaba and uyo cities evolving from very compact towns to sprawling cities. Where as lagos is more like different towns growing and merging into eachother.very interesting feedbacks it shows people love lagos, sentiments apart have you considered the following.

2 that lagos is supersaturated and has not much room for further expansion compared to the niger delta 4.

3 the cost of living and doing business is very hight and prohibitive compared to any other state in nigeria

4 in a typical flight coming into lagos from china or from south africa has more easterners than westeners , therefore when enugu airport is ready automatically the traffic will be diverted.

5 the bulk of lagos consist of slums which can not be easily cleared unlike the nigerdleta 4 where new cities with drainages and underground water cisterns are being built

6 the nigerdelta 4 is being built from scratch with asaba and uyo cities evolving from very compact towns to sprawling cities. Where as lagos is more like different towns growing and merging into eachother.
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by ektbear: 12:16am On Jul 27, 2011
4th or 5th largest economy in in sub-Saharan Africa.

More than Ghana, Kenya, etc, etc.
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by Afam4eva(m): 12:21am On Jul 27, 2011
Lagos economy is larger than that of Ghana? I never knew. I guess we learn everyday.
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by ektbear: 1:33am On Jul 27, 2011
afam4eva:

Lagos economy is larger than that of Ghana? I never knew. I guess we learn everyday.

Yep.
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by manny4life(m): 1:45am On Jul 27, 2011
IMO,

If Lagos has achieved excellence, then it should answer its name and earn that right but if not, then I don't see any reason. Lagos being recognized as a pre mega city; however, using metrics of standards to measure excellence of a state and city, I think Lagos has earned is place.
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by jason123: 2:30am On Jul 27, 2011
@ Afam4ever
You asked a valid question which should not be condemned.
Lagos is the center of excellence because NOTHING new comes to Nigeria without hitting the Lagos market for it to have a National coverage and acceptance.
Lagos is the center of excellence because its economy is greater than most African countries and her population is greater than most African countries.
Lagos is the center of excellence because it is the gate way to get to other West-african countries
Lagos is the center of excellence because it is the most HETEROGENEOUS state in the country and possibly Africa.
Lagos is the center of excellence because it is the most DIFFICULT state to manage in Nigeria
Lagos is the center of excellence because apart from her population DENSITY, there has been little or no ethno-religious crises when compared to other states and countries with similar demographics in Nigeria and Africa respectively.
Lagos state is the center of excellence because it is on the fore-front of progress in Nigeria with innovative ideas to deal with problems

I hope this answered your question??
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by jason123: 2:32am On Jul 27, 2011
@ Kettykin
Although, you tried but your points are not solid enough to dismiss the Lagos state motto. MO
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by EkoIle1: 3:05am On Jul 27, 2011
kettykin:

very interesting feedbacks it shows people love lagos, sentiments apart have you considered the following.

6 the nigerdelta 4 is being built from scratch with asaba and uyo cities evolving from very compact towns to sprawling cities. Where as lagos is more like different towns growing and merging into eachother.very interesting feedbacks it shows people love lagos, sentiments apart have you considered the following.

6 the nigerdelta 4 is being built from scratch with asaba and uyo cities evolving from very compact towns to sprawling cities. Where as lagos is more like different towns growing and merging into eachother.

Apart from Oil Rigs and swamps, what else is there in ND?
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by jason123: 3:09am On Jul 27, 2011
Eko Ile:

Apart from Oil Rigs and swamps, what else is there in ND?

Wrong.
Warri's economy is growing fast. It is also heterogeneous.
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by EkoIle1: 3:20am On Jul 27, 2011
jason123:

Wrong.
Warri's economy is growing fast. It is also heterogeneous.

Like asked, what else is there apart from Oil Rigs? I didn't ask for any general statements that means nothing. Just give us a list of major companies, industries, commercial houses, literary, cultural and entertainment activities, Advert and news agencies, general media, health care, transportation and education.

Please be precise.
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by ektbear: 3:45am On Jul 27, 2011
Some of these ND states have great potential, but are just heavily mismanaged.

Bayelsa is one of the least populated states in the country, yet has one of the highest revenues. Yet not much to show for it.
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by jason123: 3:58am On Jul 27, 2011
@ Eko-ile
The problem with Delta state and indeed other ND states is CORRUPTION. Right now, I agree that Delta state cannot be compared with Lagos and may never because of Lagos state's initiatives for the future but we are getting there. Atleast, after Lagos state and Port harcourt city (Not rivers state), we are next. cool
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by EkoIle1: 4:31am On Jul 27, 2011
jason123:

@ Eko-ile
The problem with Delta state and indeed other ND states is CORRUPTION. Right now, I agree that Delta state cannot be compared with Lagos and may never because of Lagos state's initiatives for the future but we are getting there. Atleast, after Lagos state and Port harcourt city (Not rivers state), we are next. cool

Meaning nothing is going on in ND, you're just stating what you'd love to see happen in ND.

I don't even see that state going anywhere. With so much money and a population of just a little over a million and that state is still like sh/it hole?
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by jason123: 4:35am On Jul 27, 2011
Eko Ile:

Meaning nothing is going on in ND, you're just stating what you'd love to see happen in ND.

I don't even see that state going anywhere. With so much money and a population of just a little over a million and that state is still like sh/it hole?

You have to agree that that statement is a very FOO.LISH statement!!!
Have you even been to the state to condemn it?? Everything is not about Lagos, you know?? I quite agree, Lagos is good and all but Lagos had the advantage of being the capital once in her existence, hence, should not be compared to Delta who has never had the privilege of being the capital.
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by ektbear: 4:38am On Jul 27, 2011
When he said population=1 million, I think he was referring to Bayelsa. Not Delta. . . which is like 6 million+, I thought
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by EkoIle1: 4:44am On Jul 27, 2011
jason123:

[/b]

You have to agree that that statement is a very FOO.LISH statement!!!
Have you even been to the state to condemn it?? Everything is not about Lagos, you know?? I quite agree, Lagos is good and all but Lagos had the advantage of being the capital once in her existence, hence, should not be compared to Delta who has never had the privilege of being the capital.

Discribing the state of development and condemning the state sounds very different to me.

Get over yourself with your fake outrage. The place is a sh.it hole, abi what else are the terrorist clowns over there using to justify their to terror campaign and needless slaughtering of innocent Nigerians?
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by EkoIle1: 4:49am On Jul 27, 2011
ekt_bear:

When he said population=1 million, I think he was referring to Bayelsa. Not Delta. . . which is like 6 million+, I thought

I misquoted, the population is actually around 4 million.
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by edoyad(m): 6:05am On Jul 27, 2011
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nigerian_states_by_GDP

going by that list up there, rivers and delta states combined have a GDP (ppp) of about $37bn dollars, just $4bn dollars more than lag's Gdp. But in terms of GDP per capita they fared a little better with about $3,900 compared to lag's $3,600.
But when you put into consideration the price of goods and other means for one to eke out a living, lag's still remains a more attractive prospect economically.
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by yinkalink(f): 6:47am On Jul 27, 2011
Lol
Sometimes peeps just baffle me,instead of using ur ‘buoyant intelligence‘ in doin something to make u n ur country better,d only thing u can think about is something as insignificant as this.
Well,to answer ur question, if Lagos isnt d centre of xcellence,y do people kip streamin into d state in search of greener pastures?
Y is d centre of d entertainment industry in lagos?
Y do non-lagosians claim to be indigenes of d state?
Mind u,m a full-fledged lagosian frm lag island,oko awo so i myt b biased.
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by success4(m): 6:51am On Jul 27, 2011
Niger Delta ke?
Ogun State is even better than Niger-Delta. grin grin grin
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by redsun(m): 7:33am On Jul 27, 2011
It is because nigeria's idea of english centres on words and pronunciation not meaning in d true sense of english,in other words
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by redsun(m): 7:35am On Jul 27, 2011
empty and meaningless words that equals chaos
Re: Why Is Lagos Center Of Excellence by kettykin: 9:54am On Jul 27, 2011
comparing lagos and delta state is wrong, lagos i more than 90 years while delta is just 20 .

However delta indigines are a 1000 times more enterprising than lagos indigines . Niger deltans own 3 of the largest banks in nigeria (zenith, uba, accesswink and they control the largest media empires of nigeria(thisday , guardian) a good number of the frontline hotels in lagos is owned by a deltan , ibru.

The oil swamp and rigs in delta generate 10 times more revenue than lagos generates and the bulk of it is still used to sustain lagos growth at more than 5 billion nairra alone a month.

The diversity of delta is also unparalled , delta state is peopled by more than 10 (igbos, isoko,ijaws,urhobo,ishekri,ukuwani, agbor,etc) great and diverse tribes while lagos is just yorubas. Delta has been goverened by more than 3 tribes in 10 years while lagos is jus 1 tribe.

Eventhough everything in lagos was built by fg , the deltans have built international airports, flyover and ipps by themselves

interms of manpower delta state has produced more and better human capital than lagos , delta state produced the finest military instructor, ck nzeogwu,who with only 5 majors demobilized the balewa govt without external support from a foreign power this same feat was achieved only by the north 6 months later involving all the northern soldiers and politicians with external support from britain and america achieving what looks more like ethnic cleansing than a coup.

Delta produces more graduates than lagos eventhough lagos embraced western education before delta state.

Delta has produced better scions and dynasties than lagos the ibru family and dafinone has no compare in the whole of yoruba land.

The only thing delta does not have which lagos has to its advantage and which has given lagos state an edge over nigerdelta and every other state in nigeria is deep sea portcomparing lagos and delta state is wrong, lagos i more than 90 years while delta is just 20 .

However delta indigines are a 1000 times more enterprising than lagos indigines . Niger deltans own 3 of the largest banks in nigeria (zenith, uba, accesswink and they control the largest media empires of nigeria(thisday , guardian) a good number of the frontline hotels in lagos is owned by a deltan , ibru.

The oil swamp and rigs in delta generate 10 times more revenue than lagos generates and the bulk of it is still used to sustain lagos growth at more than 5 billion nairra alone a month.

The diversity of delta is also unparalled , delta state is peopled by more than 10 (igbos, isoko,ijaws,urhobo,ishekri,ukuwani, agbor,etc) great and diverse tribes while lagos is just yorubas. Delta has been goverened by more than 3 tribes in 10 years while lagos is jus 1 tribe.

Eventhough everything in lagos was built by fg , the deltans have built international airports, flyover and ipps by themselves

interms of manpower delta state has produced more and better human capital than lagos , delta state produced the finest military instructor, ck nzeogwu,who with only 5 majors demobilized the balewa govt without external support from a foreign power this same feat was achieved only by the north 6 months later involving all the northern soldiers and politicians with external support from britain and america achieving what looks more like ethnic cleansing than a coup.

Delta produces more graduates than lagos eventhough lagos embraced western education before delta state.

Delta has produced better scions and dynasties than lagos the ibru family and dafinone has no compare in the whole of yoruba land.

The only thing delta does not have which lagos has to its advantage and which has given lagos state an edge over nigerdelta and every other state in nigeria is deep sea port

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan Gave It All As Jesus Christ Did – Fayose / Opadokun: Asking Buhari To Change Service Chiefs Is Asking Him To Commit Suicide / 2023: Tinubu Won’t Restructure Nigeria If He Becomes President — Ayo Adebanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.