Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,814 members, 7,956,080 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:48 AM

Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? (57747 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State / Yoruba In Anioma - A Revealed Truth! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by dayokanu(m): 3:08am On Jul 30, 2011
3 of Oduduwas sons founded empires in prent dy Benin republic

Onipopo of Popo, Alaketu of Ketu and Onisabe of Sabe

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by mkpologwu(m): 4:08am On Jul 30, 2011
Andre Uweh:

There is Yoruba in Benin but they are small. It is about the size of two local govt areas in Ogun state. The three major ethnic groups are found outside Nigeria. For example, Yoruba in Benin, Igbo in Equatorial Guinea and Hausa in Niger republic.
U forgot to add Esan girls in Italy, al-qaeda in Nigeria, bakassi in Cameroun, arabs in Egypt, etc

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by tpia5: 6:52am On Jul 30, 2011
quite a lot of the nigerians in diaspora might remain permanently there sha.
Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by Sike(m): 7:24am On Jul 30, 2011
dayokanu:

3 of Oduduwas sons founded empires in prent dy Benin republic

Onipopo of Popo, Alaketu of Ketu and Onisabe of Sabe
2nded!

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by Araboy(m): 7:33am On Jul 30, 2011
When The European powers met in Berlin in 1884 to partition Africa Yoruba land was partitioned into three One Nigeria second  in Benin and the third in Togo
Although the Yoruba today are estimated at about 30 million in Nigeria there are just about one million 15% of the population in Benin and less than one million in Togo and few thousand in Ghana
Also one of the difference all the Yoruba Beninois  are descendant of the tribe Ife and most of them are Muslims
From what I know there is no difference between the culture of the Yoruba of Benin and those of Nigeria the religion the festivals the rulership are the same

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by scholes0(m): 9:03am On Jul 30, 2011
Yoruba lands, and founding cities smiley

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by reloboy(m): 9:07am On Jul 30, 2011
Na wa ooo so yoruba's are also in brasil hmmm

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by olawalebabs(m): 9:26am On Jul 30, 2011
Yes o course, even in cuba

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by Remii(m): 9:32am On Jul 30, 2011
reloboy:

Na wa ooo so yoruba's are also in brasil hmmm

Yes, there Yorubas in Brazil, Cuba and in Oyo Ile in Atlanta. They are decesndant of slaves They were taken from Yorubaland but Yoruba couldn't be taken from them. They practice all idol worshiping of Yorubaland, some of them even give their kids tribal mark till today. They were all represented at the Festac 77.

http://www.cultural-expressions.com/ifa/ifahistory.htm

"In resent years, availability of attainable air travel has enabled African Americans to go back to the essence from which this great culture derived (Africa) and gather the information needed to teach and assist others.   Places like Oyotunji village in Beaufort South Carolina, DOYA (Descendants of the Yoruba in America) foundation in Cleveland OH, Ile Ori Ifa Temple in Atlanta GA, and African Paridise in Grffin GA where Yoruba culture and religion is still practiced, are just a few of many locations that offer a place to reclaim the religion of self awarness, inner strength, inner peace and unlimited power for our evolution"

3 Likes

Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by aljharem(m): 10:00am On Jul 30, 2011
yorubas in togo land mass

yorubas indigenes in cuba, togo, Ghana, and other countries

The homeland of Yorùbá culture is West Africa. Due to the European colonial policy of partitioning*, this homeland spans the four West African countries of Nigeria, Benin Republic, Togo, and Ghana. (Although the culture is also found in the West African country of Sierra Leone, this is part of the Diaspora.) Various myths, legends and stories enshrined in Ifá, the Sacred Scriptures of Yorùbá Religion, proclaim Ilé-Ifë to be the place where the Earth and all its inhabitants were created. The name Ilé-Ifë comes from the noun “Ilé” (which means “home” or “house”) and the verb “Ifë” (which means “to expand” or “to spread out”). The belief in Ilé- Ifë as the cradle of life is one key element of Yorùbá culture in Africa and the Diaspora.
It is estimated that the population of the Yorùbá in West Africa is twenty-five million. This makes them one of the largest groups in sub-Saharan Africa. Their largest concentration is in the southwestern parts of Nigeria where they number about twenty-three million. With an estimated population of 10 million, Lagos (also known as Èkó, its original Yorùbá name) is by far their most populous city. Eko is nigerians commercial capital

In the Benin Republic, which borders Nigeria to the west, there are about one-and-a-half million Yorùbá people living in the central and southeastern parts of the country. Some of the main Yorùbá cities in Benin Republic include Kétu,cotouno Sábëê (also spelt Sabe), and Porto Novo (also known as Àjàsê, its original Yorùbá name). port Novo and cotonuo are benin republic major and commercial capital

In Togo, the Yorùbá occupy the south central regions of the country. Togo’s second largest city, Atakpame (also known as Ifë-Aáná) is a Yorùbá city. There are about 50 Yorùbá villages in Ghana. Yorùbá-speaking slaves were settled in Sierra Leone after the abolition of the trans-Atlantic slave trade. Ife-aana or atakpame is togo commercial capital

As a result of the trans-Atlantic slave trade, contemporary economic migration, and voluntary cultural identification, close to seventy-five million “black”, “white”, and multi-racial peoples in Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Columbia, Cuba, France, Haiti, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Mexico, Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, UK, USA, and Venezuela now organize their day-to-day lives on the basis of Yorùbá beliefs and cultural practices.

Brazil has the largest concentration of Yorùbá people in the Diaspora. Although demographical data is not readily available, field research by this author and others suggest that close to twenty million people in Brazil will readily trace their ancestry to the Yorùbá of West Africa. This is also evidenced by the various denominations of Yorùbá (or Òrì«à) religion that are prevalent in Brazil.

Cuba deserves a special comment, not just because of its citizens who trace their ancestry to West Africa, but also because of the significance of Ifá in Cuba. Santería and Lukumí are important denominations of Yorùbá religion in Cuba.
Despite the fact that no comprehensive study of the dialects of Yorùbá culture has been published, on-going field research by this author and others indicate that there are over fifty different dialects of Yorùbá language in West Africa and the Diaspora. Although languages such as English, Portuguese, French, and Spanish are the main languages spoken in different parts of the Yorùbá Diaspora, due to the continual emigration of Yorùbá peoples from West Africa to Europe and the Americas, Yorùbá language is still spoken by millions of people in the Diaspora. Moreover, the slaves in the Diaspora generated new dialects of the Yorùbá language. These include Creole in Sierra Leone and Lucumí in Cuba.

http://www.oduaofwashington.org/BROCHURE.html

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by aljharem(m): 10:12am On Jul 30, 2011
Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by aljharem(m): 10:13am On Jul 30, 2011
Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by aljharem(m): 10:16am On Jul 30, 2011
Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by Flawless(f): 11:57am On Jul 30, 2011
Never knew there is a yoruba village in US called Oyo Tunji village located in South Carolina, you can google it. Here is a clip on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0PcSnAZk7k&feature=related

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by geosegun(m): 1:07pm On Jul 30, 2011
Flawless:

Never knew there is a yoruba village in US called Oyo Tunji village located in South Carolina, you can google it. Here is a clip on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0PcSnAZk7k&feature=related

This is great. its something to write home about.

This should be the paramount responsibilities of the Yoruba Obas.
They should extend their riches, cultural and economic influence to the Yorubas in other countries.

This is probably the IFA realistic meaning of ILE IFE- meaning Through the Land of Ife Town, that the Yorubas will spread to other part of the earth.
and that is what has happened!!!.

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by Musiwa42: 4:11pm On Jul 30, 2011
see east

why did nairaland change the topic to Messages from Aare Musiwa to the Yorubas and Nigerians!!! , that is not what i wrote before.

Can anyone co exist with people who want to continue to cheat you always. No,

We carefully remove Edo,delta and Yorubas, and they can co exist with themself in nigeria.

Igboland or east

www.nairaland.com/attachments/465711_view_of_owerri_jpg481e573d305aae31202fb974aff993c3

www.nairaland.com/attachments/465713_xxccd_jpg8e4baab0b736edba8fc716677ed90f5d
[img]http://www.geolocation.ws/geolocation_media/panoramio/01638/p-016388431.jpg[/img]

Kaduna city

[img]http://images.world66.com/za/ri/a_/zaria_ariel_view_galleryfull[/img]

Kano city

[img]http://1.bp..com/_tTrDeHPsuhs/TKmierz6-_I/AAAAAAAAAHc/RJE1Eygu2Io/s1600/DSC02202.jpg[/img]
www.nairaland.com/attachments/173663_4_jpgd0096ec6c83575373e3a21d129ff8fef

www.nairaland.com/attachments/173664_5_jpg032b2cc936860b03048302d991c3498f

www.nairaland.com/attachments/173661_2_jpg156005c5baf40ff51a327f1c34f2975b

www.nairaland.com/attachments/173669_7_jpgfe5df232cafa4c4e0f1a0294418e5660
www.nairaland.com/attachments/173671_9_jpg30e62fddc14c05988b44e7c02788e187
www.nairaland.com/attachments/173675_11_jpg62bf1edb36141f114521ec4bb4175579

www.nairaland.com/attachments/173728_111_jpg1167610aa17b0813233fe82d99403e41

www.nairaland.com/attachments/173677_33_jpgdaa79432b242c16e82493597a4d8c41f

www.nairaland.com/attachments/173676_22_jpg134ce63057f068a219a0df338fb0b723

www.nairaland.com/attachments/173729_222_jpg36bec2b148637723165ed9d633a7d980

www.nairaland.com/attachments/173766_2222_jpg8e0f3bef97a266f168213223258d77f8

www.nairaland.com/attachments/173763_660_jpgc3e6f3312413216d61d6cf84113055ce

Jos

Abuja city

[img]http://babajidesalu.files./2009/10/abuja-7.jpg?w=471&h=449&h=351[/img]

Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by Musiwa42: 4:11pm On Jul 30, 2011
see
Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by aljharem3: 4:38pm On Jul 30, 2011
Musiwa,.:

see

i don't know much about yorubas, all i do is research about it

maybe you can teach us more

thanks
Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by geosegun(m): 8:14pm On Jul 30, 2011
What is Musiwa driven at? i don't understand
Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by delpee(f): 8:26pm On Jul 30, 2011
@Aji Harem
God bless you. Learnt so much from your unbiased research findings.
Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by velexy(m): 9:28pm On Jul 30, 2011
I love this thread about D Yoruba origin from Benin, Igbos where u belong for africa ooo

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by Kunbee: 11:06pm On Jul 30, 2011
Nice thread
Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by oludashmi(f): 5:50pm On Aug 01, 2011
said by Andre
There is Yoruba in Benin but they are small. It is about the size of two local govt areas in Ogun state. The three major ethnic groups are found outside Nigeria. For example, Yoruba in Benin, Igbo in Equatorial Guinea and Hausa in Niger republic.

See your ignorance in public Andre Uweh.

Mind you, Yoruba is a major tribe in Benin Republic. They will tell you they are Yoruba, I communicate and negotiate goods in Yoruba anytime I go there. Yoruba is one of the 4 major tribes in Benin. The separation was as a result of the Berlin conference of 1895. When Africa was scrambled over and divided with a ruler on a straight line without regards for their cultural similarities.

Meanwhile, this thread is not about competition of where one tribe in Nigeria or the other is found. So keep your ibo and hausa info for another thread.

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by AndreUweh(m): 10:27pm On Aug 01, 2011
oludashmi:

said by Andre
See your ignorance in public Andre Uweh.

Mind you, Yoruba is a major tribe in Benin Republic. They will tell you they are Yoruba, I communicate and negotiate goods in Yoruba anytime I go there. Yoruba is one of the 4 major tribes in Benin. The separation was as a result of the Berlin conference of 1895. When Africa was scrambled over and divided with a ruler on a straight line without regards for their cultural similarities.

Meanwhile, this thread is not about competition of where one tribe in Nigeria or the other is found. So keep your ibo and hausa info for another thread.

Poor girl, this thread is: Who are the Yoruba in Benin republic?. Deal with it and spare us your long sermon. My post was in response to what the poster before me posted. It is an outright stupidity to quote me without understanding the circumstance that led to my post.
Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by oludashmi(f): 10:36am On Aug 02, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Poor girl, this thread is: Who are the Yoruba in Benin republic?. Deal with it and spare us your long sermon. My post was in response to what the poster before me posted. It is an outright stupidity to quote me without understanding the circumstance that led to my post.

Poor boy, hw hav yu been smiley?
But you know it is outrightly stu.pid not to understand threads and go by their content.
Meanwhile your best understanding of the Yoruba pple in R.Benin made you say Yorubas are not more than 2 local govts in R.Benin. You understand indeed!

3 Likes

Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by olawalebabs(m): 10:58am On Aug 02, 2011
Andre uweh and oludashmi
Please let's have it calm.
Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by tarano: 7:12pm On Dec 14, 2011
The yorubas as we know them in Nigeria are not unified in Benin republic and Togo, They identify with their dialect more, ede yoruba, ede nagot, ede cabe, ede ife, ede idaca, ede ica, ede ije, mokole, linguistically they are very close to central yoruba, varying from 50% - 90% lexical similarity to central yoruba,

Ede Cabe lexical similarity 76%, towns - Sabe, Ouèssè, Tchaourou  150,000 Speakers
Ede Nagot lexical similarity 90%, towns -Ketou, Pobe, Adja-Ouere, Ifangni, and Sakete  200,000 Speakers
Ede Idaca lexical similarity 81%, towns - Idasa, Glazoue 100,000 Speakers
Ede ife lexical similarity 80%, towns - Tchetti, Atakpamé, Kamina, Dadja, and Ese-Ana 202,000 Speakers
Ede Yoruba lexical similarity 98% City - Port Novo, surrounding towns villages, 465,000 Speakers
Ede Ica lexical similarity 83% town - Bante 70,000 Speakers
Ede Ije lexical similarity 85% towns -  Ouihni, south of Zogbodome, Villages between Ketou and Pobe 100,000 Speakers
Ede Nago, Kura lexical similarity 68%, towns - Bante, Aledjo koura 60,000 Speakers
Ede Nago, Manigri-Kambolé, lexical similarity 75%, towns - Bassila, Bante, Kambole 60,000 Speakers
Mokole, lexical similarity 55% town - Kandi  50,000 Speakers

As a check, lexical similarity between Ile ife and Oyo yoruba is 85%

source - http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=bj

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by anonymous6(f): 9:32pm On Dec 14, 2011
@Ileki

Nice video's, I going to keep them in my collection, this one is my favorite so far
[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-z0cHfaaI[/flash]

I going to check out more of her music, I never heard of her before but she sound nice.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by Nobody: 2:04am On Aug 10, 2012
I would like to learn more about them and Benin republic at large.

I was just reading up on the genetic make up of Jamaicans ( I am half Jamo) and found that the [/b]Yoruba genetics (??) found in Jamaica came from [b]Benin Republic. smiley

Background
The sickle (βs) mutation in the beta-globin gene (HBB) occurs on five "classical" βs haplotype backgrounds in ethnic groups of African ancestry. Strong selection in favour of the βs allele – a consequence of protection from severe malarial infection afforded by heterozygotes – has been associated with a high degree of extended haplotype similarity. The relationship between classical βs haplotypes and long-range haplotype similarity may have both anthropological and clinical implications, but to date has not been explored. Here we evaluate the haplotype similarity of classical βs haplotypes over 400 kb in population samples from Jamaica, The Gambia, and among the Yoruba of Nigeria (Hapmap YRI).

Results
The most common βs sub-haplotype among Jamaicans and the Yoruba was the Benin haplotype

interesting. smiley

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? by solomon111(m): 8:37am On Aug 10, 2012
MsDarkSkin: I would like to learn more about them and Benin republic at large.

I was just reading up on the genetic make up of Jamaicans ( I am half Jamo) and found that the [/b]Yoruba genetics (??) found in Jamaica came from [b]Benin Republic. smiley

interesting. smiley
Dont tell me,you may have a Nigerian heritage,cos that will only make me get mad.
LOL.!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sheikh Adio Confronts Oluwo Of Iwo Akanbi: You Wanted To Have Sex With My Wife / Elizabeth Odunlami: 'Ooni Enitan Ogunwusi Promised Me Marriage, Disappointed Me' / 90-year-old Emir Of Daura, Faruk Umar Marries 20-year-old Bride (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.