Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,273 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:14 AM

Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. (4510 Views)

Jonathan Replies Obasanjo, Says letter Is Self-Serving, Provocative / Jonathan Is A Trainee President - ACN / My Proposed 7 Year Single Tenure Was Misunderstood – GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Gbawe: 8:18pm On Jul 27, 2011
Well done ACN . This is how a true opposition Party should behave in times when certain actions portend chaos for Nigeria. I trust the CPC will act similarly also.  Next we will hear that the ACN is a regional/Yoruba Party meanwhile the silence from some Political Parties will be deafening when they should stand up against what is plain wrong and dangerous for Nigeria.

http:///news-page/president-jonathans-single-tenure-proposal-fraudulent-self-serving-says-action-congress-ni

President Jonathan's Single-Tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-Serving Says Action Congress Of Nigeria -NPO
Posted: July 27, 2011 - 17:54
By http://www.nigeriapoliticsonline.com

The Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) has described as patently fraudulent, deceptively self serving and a terrible misadventure the plan by President Goodluck Jonathan to send a Constitutional amendment bill to the National Assembly to pave the way for a single tenure for the President and the Governors of the 36 states.

In a statement issued in Ibadan by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, on Wednesday, the party said the plan also confirms fears being expressed in certain circles that this President enjoys power for the sake of it, instead of using it to the benefit of Nigerians.

It said the single tenure project is fraudulent because the President never for once promised Nigerians, during his electioneering campaign, that this will be his priority project once elected into office, adding that the issue is also not known to be in the manifesto of his party, the PDP.

ACN said the project is also self-serving because, despite the deceptive proviso that President Jonathan will not benefit from it, there is nothing in the constitution that bars him from seeking another term of office in 2015 and, in any case, he has not told anyone that he will not run again after his current tenure.

"This is nothing but tenure elongation by subterfuge, and it is worse than the third term misadventure of his Godfather. All it takes for the proviso (inserted to hoodwink gullible people) to be knocked off is for anyone to seek a declarative court ruling that he (President Jonathan) is indeed qualified to seek another term. After all, he did not go that far to disown his party's zoning principle, which he signed on to,'' the party said.

[size=8pt]It also expressed concern that the ill-conceived project could prove to be a divisive issue, further threatening the country's fragile unity, which took some beating by the President's volte-face on the zoning issue.
[/size]
ACN said further: "Much as most Nigerians are shocked by President Jonathan's plan, we are sure it did not come to them as a total surprise, because it is in line with his style since assuming office. After the death of President Umaru Yar'Adua and his (President Jonathan's) ascension to office, he cannot be remembered for anything beyond stoking the fire of zoning or no zoning, which burned brightly until he was elected President.

"Now, three months after he promised Nigerians heaven and earth in his inauguration speech but delivered nothing, while Nigerians are daily being subjected to hellish living, all he has come up with is a bill to amend the Constitution so the President and state governors can serve only one term. How is this issue more important than taking measures to grow our moribund economy; or to ensure that millions of our jobless youths are gainfully employed?

"How does this check the widespread insecurity of lives and property in the land, especially in areas under the stranglehold of Boko Haram? How are the so-called merits of the plan, which its promoters said include checking the acrimony that accompanies re-election campaign, more important than making kerosene, diesel and Jet-A1 abundantly available to slash the rising costs? How does this project turn around the appalling state of our infrastructure? And how does it check the spiralling exchange rate of the Naira to the major currencies, with its bandwagon effects?

"By seeking to use this meaningless bill to divert the attention of Nigerians from the issues listed above, while cunningly buying his government enough time to consolidate, President Jonathan has done an incalculable damage to his integrity and disappointed the millions who voted him into office. He should therefore jettison this ill-advised pursuit of tenure elongation through the back door, apologise to Nigerians and face squarely the daunting task of serious governance. If he fails to do so, which is very likely, the National Assembly should not waste time in throwing it away,'' ACN said.

The party said while no one should fall for the deceptive proviso that the single tenure project will not benefit the President, it is indeed irrelevant whether or not it benefits him, since the issue pales into insignificance when placed side by side with matters that should be the priority of any serious administration that is eager to deliver the dividends of democracy to the citizenry.

"We therefore urge all Nigerians to reject this evil project instead of playing the game of President Jonathan and his cohorts, who simply want to use the ensuing debate to divert attention from the worsening standard of living of Nigerians and the bad governance to which they have been subjected by to most elected officials in the over 12 years of democratic rule, it said.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by okadaman2: 8:25pm On Jul 27, 2011
May Amadioha and the Alusis continue to protect and bless ACN and other worthy rascals!

Thunder fire Jonathan and that hin yeye fedora cap!  angry

Resource control he no do he wan get more years for free, Osanobua gbe e!
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jul 27, 2011
ACN really hasn't done anything more than the obvious here, Even PDP members are against it so nothing spectacular here,

ACN by now should be introducing bills that stands for what they promised before Yoruba people voted them, If they fail, they fail forever and no coming back!!

By now, reforms in national academia should be rolling, people should be having a field day debating on economic plans, human rights, agriculture, joint ministry to save money, etc,

By now, we should be having bills that help businesses expand, by now we should be debating on infrastructure and how to get every Nigerian pay their taxes (also infrastructure),

I'm getting disappointed in Tinubu's boys, Weren't ACN senators among the fooools who spent millions just to visit an highway? shocked shocked shocked shocked

This is not the change I paid close to $2000 ticket to go home and vote for at all, I could have used that money to buy me at least 5 heyday sneakers angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

If ACN is waiting to take over Nigeria before they start standing for what's right, they will fail!! I will campaign against them next election, i will provide people with information on their failures (thanks to the FOI bill; I can know what they did while in office)

We want change!!! ACN hasn't done anything yet instead they are watching, Let them roll out bills even if the bills are voted down, let them roll them out, educate their constituencies on the benefits of the bill, hold town hall meetings with their constituencies etc,

Nothing nothing nothing!!! They have done nothing!!! We want change now and now!!
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Gbawe: 8:35pm On Jul 27, 2011
okada_man:

May Amadioha and the Alusis continue to protect and bless ACN and other worthy rascals!

Thunder fire Jonathan and that hin yeye fedora cap!  angry

Resource control he no do he wan get more years for free, Osanobua gbe e!

What GEJ is attempting is very dangerous and the timing of it could not have come at a more disastrous period. Every semi decent Political Party should speak up to ensure that this plan fails just like OBJ's wicked third term agenda . Fighting this nonsense from GEJ , while he ignores far more serious problems bedevilling our Nation, is the responsibility of all Prominent Nigerians/Parties/organizations.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by 2mch(m): 8:42pm On Jul 27, 2011
Power intoxicates, and Nigerians are known to prefer to die in a federal position e.g Yar Adua. Someone with an intention to "serve" his country will do so within even 2years. But those willing to rob, will be looking for enough time to rob. e.g Obasanjo and the 3 term saga. He knows a second term will be almost impossible as everyone is fighting for 2015.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by okadaman2: 8:43pm On Jul 27, 2011
@9jaganja you are right actually, but I'm glad they spoke swiflty against this brain dead idea though.

ACN una dey hear 9jaganja so?

One time now una go talk sey Diaspora no like Nigeria. the guy talk sey he spent $2000 to go home and vote shocked

9jaganja, you ride okada when you come lagos? we no se your hand o.

Amadioha punish Jonathan still. .
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by seanet02: 8:55pm On Jul 27, 2011
9ja don't worry ACN will not disappoint you.
We have True Federalism bills we are still going to sponsor the best Bill in this republic and we still have more .
Abike of ACN was the main Sponsor of the FOI bill during the last legislative session and you will quite accept that it was the Most important bill passed by the last Legislature
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by ektbear: 8:59pm On Jul 27, 2011
I don't think the idea of 6 year terms is a bad one. But I think that GEJ should be unable to benefit from it. Let the law kick in in 2017, or something.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Gbawe: 9:03pm On Jul 27, 2011
okada_man:

@9jaganja you are right actually, but I'm glad they spoke swiflty against this brain dead idea though.

One time now una go talk sey Diaspora no like Nigeria. the guy talk sey he spent $2000 to go home and vote shocked

That is the crux of the matter being dealt with here. 9jaganja issues are for another day and another thread. I will indulge him another time and elsewhere but not today because this is not about the performance of the ACN. this , as you identified, is about their swift response to misguided actions that portend grave danger for Nigeria. What matter is that there should be a groundswell of condemnation , from all quarters, against this insane move by GEJ. We should keep our eyes on the ball in Nigeria. It is not when innocent Nigerians are being executed that we begin to lament impotently. forestalling disaster is very important too and everyone should contribute to ensure GEJ does not cause more chaos to add to the woes of an already highly charged and heated polity.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Gbawe: 9:58pm On Jul 27, 2011
http://newsdiaryonline.com/diversion.htm

6 -Year Term:A Diversion from The Real Challenges Confronting Nigerians-CLO

Press Release Wed July 27,2011

The attention of the Civil Liberties Organisation (CLO) has been drawn to the new Tenure regime bill being proposed by President Goodluck Jonathan to the National Assembly as part of his administration's contributions to the ongoing endless Constitutional review by the NASS. The CLO is shocked that rather than committing its energies, powers, experience, wisdom and the national resources to very more relevant areas that need urgent redress, Mr. President and his team decide to waste such energies and resources on inanities.

CLO fails to reconcile the promises of good governance through transformative processes that Dr. Jonathan made to Nigerians during his electioneering campaigns with the single term agenda which will not;

.Put food on the tables of Nigerians,

.Resolve the dilapidated educational sector,

.Restore the decayed infrastructural facilities,

.Redress the collapsed transport system,

.Solve the epileptic supply of electricity,

.Address the wastages and corruption in the polity,

.Cause respect for the rights of the citizens, rule of law and due process,

.Rescue the ailing health and housing sector,

.Put smiles on the faces of retired workers, the aged, Nigerians in Diaspora who are treated like animals,

. Or address the high youth unemployment rate causing unrest and civil crisis all over Nigeria.

It is very unfortunate that Mr. President has collapsed all the high hopes of the Nigerian citizens for true transformation of the failing Nigerian state to focusing on the least on the list of the gross problems confronting the state.

We are extremely worried as one of the groups in this country that has sacrificed both human and material resources in restoring democracy to Nigeria to watch with utter dismay, the way and manner our country is being fraudulently mismanaged and visionlessly run.

We are also worried by the way the otiose political class is knowingly pushing the Nigerian peoples to the wall and wish to state that there is a limit to which the politicians can misrule, misuse and misdirect our society and people and take us for granted.

They may think that we are fools but the events in the world, today, may help send sound warnings and signals to them that most of the combatants who confronted and crushed the military dictatorships have not all died or cross-carpeted and that when time comes knocking on our doors, we will re-enact the struggles that pushed the military out of Aso Rock.

C[b]LO, for the sake of our country and people, wishes to use this medium to urge Mr. President to wield the will power and the energy to deal with the serious issues of endemic corruption and plundering of the national resources that have occasioned mass unemployment, infrastructural and social decay, disgrace of our people everywhere in the world, poverty, hunger, mass death and influx of avoidable diseases that devastate our people.
[/b]
May the stitch in time save us nine.

Sgned.

Comrade, Ibuchukwu Ohabuenyi Ezike,

Executive Director, CLO.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jul 27, 2011
okada_man:

Lol, I voted in Ikeja in Maryland, hahahahha, it was quick for me,

I will sure to patronize your okada next time I come hahahahha

seanet02:

9ja don't worry ACN will not disappoint you.
We have True Federalism bills we are still going to  sponsor the best Bill in this republic and we still have more .
Abike of ACN was the main Sponsor of the FOI bill during the last legislative session and you will quite accept that it was the Most important bill passed by the last Legislature

I want them to get into action, stick together, steady brain storm that'll bring sunshine to the legislature,

I want them to be steadily thinking together and being in contact with think tanks to get external opinions, i
that way, they won't be influenced by the corrupt others,

They better not disappoint!!

Gbawe:

That is the crux of the matter being dealt with here. 9jaganja issues are for another day and another thread. I will indulge him another time and elsewhere but not today because this is not about the performance of the ACN. this , as you identified, is about their swift response to misguided actions that portend grave danger for Nigeria. What matter is that there should be a groundswell of condemnation , from all quarters, against this insane move by GEJ. We should keep our eyes on the ball in Nigeria. It is not when innocent Nigerians are being executed that we begin to lament impotently. forestalling disaster is very important too and everyone should contribute to ensure GEJ does not cause more chaos to add to the woes of an already highly charged and heated polity.

Make sure you feed me with changes oo, Seriously gbawe, if we are not critical of these guys, they will disgrace us at national level, Hope your faith in them is backed by good evidence of their plans and not just that you are a party loyalist, lol, thanks sir!!!
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Gbawe: 10:16pm On Jul 27, 2011
9jaganja:

Make sure you feed me with changes oo, Seriously gbawe, if we are not critical of these guys, they will disgrace us at national level, Hope your faith in them is backed by good evidence of their plans and not just that you are a party loyalist, lol, thanks sir!!!

My brother I am with you on that. Just check my signature to note this. Criticism of the ACN must never stop because the electorate must keep those who are elected on their feet. We must however seek to keep criticism objective while refraining from responding , without thinking, to false reportage that will now inevitably descend on the ACN , flood-like, because the Nest of killers PDP is not comfortable at being bounced out of the SW.

Truth be told , the ACN administrators , especially Amosun and Ajimobi, have not really done anything majorly wrong to warrant the vitriol they are receiving . I just think we should all be careful how we let popular media shape our thinking for us when we relinquish the rights to come to our own independent conclusions after careful inspection of what is presented to us .
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Eziachi: 10:22pm On Jul 27, 2011
ekt_bear:

I don't think the idea of 6 year terms is a bad one. But I think that GEJ should be unable to benefit from it. Let the law kick in in 2017, or something.
If you take away the prospect of re-election by the incumbent, you are cultivating trouble. Just mirror the scenario where the likes of Ohakim, Akala etc where given a single six years term? Knowing that they are not coming back, you can guess what they will do. Despite their rigging, the fear of re-election keep some sane to some extent.
Jonathan is looking for third term through the back door. How on earth will this bill be his greatest concern at this particular moment with everything going on around him? Its beyond joke, even by Nigerian standard.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Gbawe: 10:37pm On Jul 27, 2011
Eziachi:

If you take away the prospect of re-election by the incumbent, you are cultivating trouble. Just mirror the scenario where the likes of Ohakim, Akala etc where given  a single six years term? Knowing that they are not coming back, you can guess what they will do. Despite their rigging, the fear of re-election keep some sane to some extent.
Jonathan is looking for third term through the back door. How on earth will this bill be his greatest concern at this particular moment with everything going on around him? Its beyond joke, even by Nigerian standard.

Thank you. The problem of electoral violence and the issue of politicians using Government money to fund campaign has nothing to do with length of tenure or whether politicians have one term or two. The issues of violence and 'monetized' politics are direct by-products of a deliberately nurtured system that has made politics a vehicle for a select few to gain stupendous personal wealth. We are merely assisting deception if we back what GEJ is doing because , by now, it should be clear to most Nigerians that a brave and sincere reform of systems, practices and institutions is far more required than variation in tenure length.

Besides , it is hypocrisy for GEJ to claim he wants to reduce the financial cost , to our Nation, of elections. We saw GEJ deplete the ECA . We saw him 'settle' everything and everyone that moved just so he could get a new mandate. Many became Naira billionaires because of GEJ's ambition. Mr. President had no problem with "bags of rice" politics only yesterday !!!! It is a leap of fantasy to now believe that this profligate 'settling' President (of the "no leaner cabinet for now" fame) is the same man who is concerned about how much Nigeria spends on elections every four years. Nigerians should wake up and smell the rancid stench packaged as "fresh air".
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by ektbear: 11:14pm On Jul 27, 2011
Eziachi:

If you take away the prospect of re-election by the incumbent, you are cultivating trouble. Just mirror the scenario where the likes of Ohakim, Akala etc where given a single six years term? Knowing that they are not coming back, you can guess what they will do. Despite their rigging, the fear of re-election keep some sane to some extent.

Hrm. That is a good point. But don't you think that the 4 year cycle tends to leave little time for actually governing? Years 3 and 4, a governor is focusing on getting relected. Year 1, usually nothing happens because he is still learning the job. Kinda see my point? If you are lucky, only 50% of the time a governor is in office is actually spent on anything useful.

What if we could eliminate those latter chunk of time when most governors are unproductive because they are focused on getting re-elected?

Anyway, I'm not saying that the answer is clear-cut. But I don't think the idea is absolutely terrible.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by wesley80(m): 12:07am On Jul 28, 2011
Frigging hypocrites seeking to do no more than impress their band of followers by mounting a moral highhorse they r unworthy of saddling. Gej made it absolutely clear that if the bill is passed, he will not in any way be a beneficiary so what's all the fuss about?
If Tinubu and his band are not convinced, they should simply ask for clarification and assurances instead of shouting themselves hoarse in the name of being a gutless opposition that only find their voice when they ought to shut their traps. There are two sides to everything and while i have my reservations about the timing, the merits of this bill far outweigh the demerits and if the fear of the opposition is that the President is seeking to elongate his tenure, then they should compel him to include a clause that excludes him from benefitting instead of making dumb accusations. The worse we can do is to throw away the baby with the bath water. stead of making dumb accusations. The worse we can do is to throw away the baby with the bath water.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Rhino5dm: 2:27am On Jul 28, 2011
^Feed that crap to dogs!. We are beyond decoding, discerning and analysing political matters, so dont you think you doing yourself great dis-favour by trying to defend the indefensible?
This is how is going to work. . .either the house take responsibility to kill the 'cancerous growth' or WE invite the military boys to do what they are known for. We are watching with keen intrest . . . . .relax IT WILL NEVER GONA HAPPEN!!!
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Kobojunkie: 2:31am On Jul 28, 2011
There are merits to this Bill?? Pray tell . . . what the frell are the merits that running for a second term does not currently address?? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by wesley80(m): 8:03am On Jul 28, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

^Feed that crap to dogs!.

Oya open your mouth!

Kobojunkie:

There are merits to this Bill?? Pray tell . . . what the frell are the merits that running for a second term does not currently address?? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Most of the criticisms this bill has faced arise from the fact that it is seen as a tenure elongation bill, but what if its not? The other is about the timing which i think could have been better but well, its here now so lets deal with it. Most observers agree that 4years is too short a time for effective governance so why cant we do something about it? What is wrong with reducing an inevitable 4yr circle of violence by 2years and reducing the need for an expensive electoral process like we have?
There's the talk about having the likes of Ohakim and Akala in power for 6yrs - well, that wld be up to us wont it? but if we've got real fears then we should be calling for the removal of the immunity clause for all beneficiaries instead of throwing out the bill without consideration.
The bill may not be perfect as it is but it can be tinkered to become better and I expect a good opposition party to weigh the pros and cons b4 coming out with constructive criticisms instead of echoing the voices of the uninformed in the name of being an opposition party. We deserve better - Yes, even from an opposition party!
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Toscana: 8:34am On Jul 28, 2011
Dnt be surprsd cos wen ws talkn about hel,he talkna bout nigeria
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Toscana: 8:34am On Jul 28, 2011
Dnt be surprsd cos wen christ ws talkn about hel,he talkna bout nigeria
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by usbcable(m): 8:39am On Jul 28, 2011
who renamed this thread as ACN's single-tenure proposal fraudulent, self serving--ACN.

was the person in a trance while typing the frontpage heading? undecided

misleading in all indices.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Thatdave(m): 9:08am On Jul 28, 2011
ride on mr. president, we cant wait to defend this with u when stand before the house.

all those who dont see a genius in the bill, should hit their head hard on a tescote painted wall for a proper brain allingnment.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Nobody: 9:16am On Jul 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

Hrm. That is a good point. But don't you think that the 4 year cycle tends to leave little time for actually governing? Years 3 and 4, a governor is focusing on getting relected. Year 1, usually nothing happens because he is still learning the job. Kinda see my point? If you are lucky, only 50% of the time a governor is in office is actually spent on anything useful.

What if we could eliminate those latter chunk of time when most governors are unproductive because they are focused on getting re-elected?

Anyway, I'm not saying that the answer is clear-cut. But I don't think the idea is absolutely terrible.
On the first paragraph,I don't agree with you. . .
Nigerian politiciansare lazy.That point seems to justify why leaders cannot deliver within a single four-year tem.There is no reason why an elected officer cannot hit the ground running from day one if he claims to have had a manifesto/roadmap as to how to administer his entity.I find that claim rather absurd.
While it may be true because that is what essentially happens in 95% of all cases,it is not an excuse for tenure elongation.Single tenureship,maybe that reason might be justifiable,but I still think the Nigerian politician will not deliver even if you give him 25 years per term,simply because the political elite is bereft of ideas, like the author/sponsor of this bill.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by KnowAll(m): 9:27am On Jul 28, 2011
Thank God we are in a democracy, this bill would fail in the house especially in the lower house. The reps men would collect Joboy's money and still vote against the bill, so he had better be wise not to spend a dime trying to see this bill through.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by sweettweet: 9:37am On Jul 28, 2011
gej had better face what he was elected for rather than all this selfish law he is trying to enact.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Gbawe: 9:40am On Jul 28, 2011
StarBoard:

On the first paragraph,I don't agree with you. . .
Nigerian politiciansare lazy.That point seems to justify why leaders cannot deliver within a single four-year tem.There is no reason why an elected officer cannot hit the ground running from day one if he claims to have had a manifesto/roadmap as to how to administer his entity.[/b]I find that claim rather absurd.
While it may be true because that is what essentially happens in 95% of all cases,it is not an excuse for tenure elongation.Single tenureship,maybe that reason might be justifiable,but I still think the Nigerian politician will not deliver even if you give him 25 years per term,simply because the political elite is bereft of ideas, like the author/sponsor of this bill.

Thank you. The point we are missing , [b]that keeps most of us unsophisticated politically
, is that every single day we have individuals vying to become politicians (President, Governors, Senators, Reps et al) because they know stupendous wealth awaits them when they succeed. To that end , performance can never [/b]depend on the length of time in office when the DOA factor (dead on arrival ) applies as per how those entering important office have nothing to offer in the first place !!!!

Election violence and 'monetized' politics will never end either because , regardless of tenure length , the attraction to stupendous wealth , [b]that political office represents currently
,  will not lessen in future without the dogged, dedicated and resolute use of reform tactics that simply reduce administrative office to one of servant to the people rather than what we have currently .

This is why some of us shouted ourselves hoarse proclaiming that Nigeria needed a brave and reform-minded President who would go about things in the right order. Reforming systems and institution , with total sincerity, will be a far more effective and enduring way to secure the changes we all want. Tenure length, single term, two terms are all the diversionary tactics of those not willing or able to tackle the unavoidable reforms that are directly required to turn our Nation around .
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Nobody: 9:41am On Jul 28, 2011
ATTENTION, The title of this thread on the home page is also misleading. At first i thought it was ACN that was proposing Single term tenure

ACN's Single-Tenure Proposal Is Faudulent & Self-Serving - ACN

Ought to be 'Single-Tenure Proposal Is Faudulent & Self-Serving - ACN'

or 'PDP's Single-Tenure Proposal Is Faudulent & Self-Serving - ACN'

or left as the Poster put it
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Gbawe: 9:52am On Jul 28, 2011
toba:

ATTENTION, The title of this thread on the home page is also misleading. At first i thought it was ACN that was proposing Single term tenure

ACN's Single-Tenure Proposal Is Faudulent & Self-Serving - ACN

Ought to be 'Single-Tenure Proposal Is Faudulent & Self-Serving - ACN'

or 'PDP's Single-Tenure Proposal Is Faudulent & Self-Serving - ACN'

or left as the Poster put it

Usbcable has noted the same thing also. OAMJ and Jarus can you guys look into this? Rather ridiculous if you ask me. How is it possible to err so badly ? I hope deliberate mischief is not at work here .
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Nobody: 9:59am On Jul 28, 2011
Gbawe:

Thank you. The point we are missing , that keeps most of us unsophisticated politically, is that every single day we have individuals vying to become politicians (President, Governors, Senators, Reps et al) because they know stupendous wealth awaits them when they succeed. To that end , performance can never [/b]depend on the length of time in office when the DOA factor (dead on arrival ) applies as per how those entering important office have nothing to offer in the first place !!!!

Election violence and 'monetized' politics will never end either because , regardless of tenure length , the attraction to stupendous wealth , [b]that political office represents currently
,  will not lessen in future without the dogged, dedicated and resolute use of reform tactics that simply reduce administrative office to one of servant to the people rather than what we have currently .

This is why some of us shouted ourselves hoarse proclaiming that Nigeria needed a brave and reform-minded President who would go about things in the right order. Reforming systems and institution , with total sincerity, will be a far more effective and enduring way to secure the changes we all want. Tenure length, single term, two terms are all the diversionary tactics of those not willing or able to tackle the unavoidable reforms that are directly required to turn our Nation around .
Good write-up.
Make politics un-attractive money-wise,and you will see the scramble for leadership positions disappear.
Restrictions to free money (e.g. "security vote"wink in the center will go a long way in resolving this issue.As long as politicians know that they can't have unfettered access to cash at their disposal,we will have real servants who want to work and deliver.
Until then,tenure elongation doesn't serve anything new or resolve the leadership logjam we find ourselves in.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by russellino: 9:59am On Jul 28, 2011
What is wrong with GEJ? abeg what is the rationale behind a constitutional amendment over something that is infinitely useless. solve boo haram and pressing issues stranglingn the country instead faffing around the place. the man dey vex me.

Sense of priorities - 0%, Proactive approach to duty - 0%, fiscal discipline - 0%. We don suffer

i dont like tinubu but I thank God for the opposition that the ACN represents.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Blakjewelry(m): 10:03am On Jul 28, 2011
well, i think the bill has some merits but timing is too early. Let him focus on other pressing matters first. Because if you come to think of it most govt spending first 1 and half year settling down and learning to govern.
Then they spent their last year running for re-election so, i think a single tenure is not bad in a way

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Obaino's multiple voters cards (Pictures) / Governor David Umahi Is Doing The Unthinkable In Ebonyi State. / Military Vs Boko Haram Special Forces Wiped Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.