Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,640 members, 7,809,401 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:57 AM

Do I Need A Letter Of Invitation To Take To The Nigerian Embassy In The Uk ? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Do I Need A Letter Of Invitation To Take To The Nigerian Embassy In The Uk ? (2879 Views)

The Shame Called Nigerian Embassy In Johannesburg, SA / The Deplorable State Of The Nigerian Embassy In Malaysia (see Photos) / Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do I Need A Letter Of Invitation To Take To The Nigerian Embassy In The Uk ? by okadabwoy: 8:52pm On Jul 27, 2011
Hello and good evening to everyone. This is my first post here as i'm new, lol. I just have a quick query please, I'll be travelling to Nigeria in a few weeks times, to see family, as I currently live in the UK. I know that the process of applying for a visa has changed as everything has to be done online now, etc, and thats ok for me, as I appreciate that the Nigerian Govt has there rules and regulations., ive been going through the guidelines of applying and it mentions a letter of invitation. As i'm of nigerian descent, and I speak 3 nigerian languages fluently is this a must for me?? Do i actually have to get an invite letter emailed to me from nigeria?? my parents are elderly and they may not understand why they have to write out a letter for their own child to come to the motherland, and just that I don't wanna go to the embassy and get rejected becos of this invite letter. Have any UK citizens had to do this please??

Also it seems that the application for visa is by appointment only, and I may not be able to lodge my documents on the date they give me, so am I able to lodge my application on a day that i'm not working?? This is due to the fact that it may be hard for me to get the day off at work. I would very much appreciate any help/suggestions that can be given please,

Warm regards
Okada_bwoy
Re: Do I Need A Letter Of Invitation To Take To The Nigerian Embassy In The Uk ? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jul 27, 2011
When I visited Nigeria in 2009, I did have an invitation letter handy, but it wasn't requested. I was told by officials at the embassy that my surname was enough to prove my connection to Nigeria. If I had an English surname, like Smith, then I would have had to use my invitation letter.

Best of luck.
Re: Do I Need A Letter Of Invitation To Take To The Nigerian Embassy In The Uk ? by okadabwoy: 12:07am On Jul 28, 2011
Hi Siena, may thanks for the info, I would also appreciate if a few more people could post comments for my post, and also I need info on whether the visa application thing is by date appointment ONLY, as i know before you just had to go ealry in the morning, and  it was NOT by appointments, and u lodged your UK passport with the form, and you could pick up within a few days(I think this was early this year)

I also needed to find out if its now by appointment only, can i reschedule my appointment for a date that i'm off from work?? this is if my employer is unable to release me from work on a specific day

many thanks
Re: Do I Need A Letter Of Invitation To Take To The Nigerian Embassy In The Uk ? by JJM(f): 8:05am On Jul 28, 2011
@okada-bwoy, as far as I was aware making a visa application did not require an appointment. All you had to do was make sure you have all the necessary documents and payment by postal order, go to the Embassy on the days and times they are opened, grab a ticket and wait for your number to be called for submission.

As Sienna has rightly stated, if your name consists of a Nigerian name, then you will not be required to provide an invitation letter. When I visited in 2009 and my sister made her visa application December 2010, invitation letter was not required due to us having a Nigerian surname.

HOWEVER, that appears to have now been changed(still unclear for me sha). Check out this link to their website:

http://www.nigeriahc.org.uk/visa-requirements

Also note this quote from the link:

Visa types and Requirements
ALL VISA APPLICATIONS AND PAYMENTS ARE NOW MADE THROUGH THE NIGERIA IMMIGRATION WEBSITE, IF YOU SATISFY THE REQUIREMENTS RELATING TO YOUR VISA AS STATED BELOW, then, Click here to proceed

It may well be that the invitation letter exemption remains the same but once again the website is not very clear on that. There is a phone number in that link that you can call(good luck though with firstly, getting someone to pick it up and secondly, getting a straight answer sad)

It will be better if any NL's who have recently made a visa application are able to shed some light on this.

TIP:Once you get your visa and go to Naija, get your naija pali done as you will no longer require a visa to go to your "motherland".
Re: Do I Need A Letter Of Invitation To Take To The Nigerian Embassy In The Uk ? by okadabwoy: 9:15am On Jul 28, 2011
Many thanks JJM, much appreciated for this. Just that I heard that the procedure has now changed, as its online now to apply and pay. This new proceudre just startws within the last 2-3 months, as PRIOR to around March this year, it was the normal way that u mentioned, just print the form online, bring all your supporting docs, get your ticjet, pay with your postal orders and come back to get the visa.

I went with my sister to the embassy in 2008, then we didnt have to book any appointment, we got there, submitted her application and she gave me a letter and the following week i picked it up for her and it didnt go to badly then, lol

Now it seems to be different as u have to register online, pay online, and print the forms, and that also i heard that when u pay online it gives you a date to come down and submit your passport for the visa as well, and its just heard for some people to get certain days off from work(like me), lol. Thats why i was just hoping to go on one of my days off from work.

Or do u think i should post a new topic?? Something like: Has Anyone been to the UK embassy for a visa within the last 6 weeks?? lol

I just wanna get their and have a smooth procedure, but with the naija embassy, one must expect the unexpecteed, lol
Re: Do I Need A Letter Of Invitation To Take To The Nigerian Embassy In The Uk ? by JJM(f): 12:18pm On Jul 28, 2011
I know, Nigeria embassy UK is very good at changing the goal post whenever they feel like. angry

lol. no point opening another thread unless you do not get any post that deal with your particular question soon.

Shame as if this was a few months ago when I was working at the strand(Charing cross), I would taken a stroll at lunchtime and find out for you but I work at London Bridge now, sad-miss covent garden and the shops).

Anyways, back to the topic, hope you get a more helpful post from NL's.

(1) (Reply)

Anyone Travelled To The UK Without B.T.A But Just Gtb Mastercard? / Price Of Hotel Accomodation In Jos / Do I Need A Passport To Travel To Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.