Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? (23442 Views)

Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles / God Want An African Pope If The Incumbent One Resign / Did God Want The Dana Flight To Crash? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Zikkyy(m): 2:38pm On Aug 05, 2011
pelezico:

The widows mite - our challenge as Christians
Luke 21:1-4 1 And he looked up, and saw the rich men that were casting their gifts into the treasury. 2 And he saw a certain poor widow casting in thither two mites. 3 And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, This poor widow cast in more than they all: 4 for all these did of their superfluity cast in unto the gifts; but she of her want did cast in all the living that she had.

So, you can see that Christ would prefer you giving all you have smiley you can see that it will not be the same effect when the rich man give 10% vs the poor man giving 10% smiley You knew about this and you still allow your pastor heart to restrict your giving
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Zikkyy(m): 2:53pm On Aug 05, 2011
Pastor Kun:

@pelezico
With biblical references kindly tell us how the bible defines God's tithe, does it bare any resemblance to the man made version being preached today. Also without twisting scripture kindly show us the passage in the bible Jesus was alleged to have paid tithes.

The man will not only twist the scripture, he will need to pay the tithe on Jesus behalf smiley

Joagbaje:

Jesus endorsed tithing

23[b]Woe unto you[/b], scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites Joagbaje! grin for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Yes ooh grin

Joagbaje:

likewise Paul.Nothing can be clearer than pauls reference here

1 Corinthians 9:13-14
13 Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? 14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

The welfare for ministers in the temple comes from tithings and offerings . Same thing goes for the church.

Oga scripture twister, what is clearer angry Did it ever occur to you that the peoples tithe does not get to the altar. Did it ever occur to you that the high priest does not eat off the peoples tithe angry who told you the priest welfare was from the peoples tithe. If the pastor must 'chop' let him find a Levite to milk angry
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Rousseau: 2:55pm On Aug 05, 2011
Where do the tithes of worshipers go to if not to the poor? The amount of religious pastors who are becoming billionaires while their congregations does not seem to be what Jesus and his disciples intended it to be. If one is to read the Old Testament of the Bible, tithing was only required under the Levitical (temple) system and has no place in the modern day unless the money is used for charity and to uplift the poor. Organized religion is just another way of keeping in chains. Pastors have amassed huge fortunes by fleecing their flocks, while supposedly leading them in the teachings of Jesus Christ. Tithing is another form of slavery, or spiritual slavery, where pastors use this as a way of becoming rich, while not using the money to uplift the poor like they are supposed to do.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Zikkyy(m): 3:20pm On Aug 05, 2011
njira:

How do we give to God? by giving to God's work, and what is God's work? God's work is the Gospel.

I think you should learn to separate issue of tithing from funding the gospel. We all understand that the gospel need to be funded, somehow smiley I don't have a problem if collections, including the (freewill) donation of 10% by members is used for true missionary work. I think the concern is the lies/scripture twisting that accompany the teaching/preaching of tithe.

njira:

if i say so myself i have not really come to an understanding about the issue but am working on it

work on it very well oh cheesy don't let the pastor deceive you smiley
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by pelezico: 4:04pm On Aug 05, 2011
i herald from the UK and i know where my giving goes (we have bi anual finance meeting where our givings are discussed and we are charity status - which means the tax man has an eye on us) so i dont have the hang ups that many of you have - but i would feel just the same as many of you and would not give .

Our church supports many fellowships world wide - we are not wealthy by some peoples standards but we give.  We support churches directly in nigeria lagos Sierra Leone, South Africa, Namibia, Italy, Spain, and in the UK quite a few.  

for instance my friend who was a doctor contracting around London just came off of support.  When he was in support he took care of financing his church and family workign part time as a medical doctor while pastoring . He was Pastoring a new church our from the mother church though the building and some expenses are supported by the mother church.  

Out Pastor wants every pioneering pastor to be off support within i think 4 years.  If international we tend to support alot longer.  It depends on the needs.  The pastor will sometimes have to find a job there so to help to take the burden off teh mother church.

We have struggled and have had to sell some houses that we bought to put up single ladies and men who had know place to stay.

We are still struggling but thats life and Gods helping the church.  People are being blessed.

We dont emphasise on posterity at all - though due to people losing jobs in the uk pastor has started to address this.

So i know where the church finances go -

By the way we support the churches in the uk and international by sending impact teams regular doing stuff like drama, cnoncerts, choir and full on preaching.  So because we are in a church that requires people to get involved we dont complain about where the money goes.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by pelezico: 4:09pm On Aug 05, 2011
Zikkyy:

I think you should learn to separate issue of tithing from funding the gospel. We all understand that the gospel need to be funded, somehow smiley I don't have a problem if collections, including the (freewill) donation of 10% by members is used for true missionary work. I think the concern is the lies/scripture twisting that accompany the teaching/preaching of tithe.

work on it very well oh cheesy don't let the pastor deceive you smiley

I agree - people need to start reading there bibles and start understanding there faith critically. I meet Christians who can quote properity type scriptures but cant explain basic Christain doctrine -they enjoy books by Mr 20000 member church but know nothin about men such as AW Tozer, Charles Spurgoen, John Wesley etc etc. So to be fair im not syrprised Christians are being suckered.

However we give to God by faith.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by garyarnold(m): 5:12pm On Aug 05, 2011
The Biblical tithes were never used to "fund the gospel." The Biblical tithes were never used to build the Temple, or for missionary work, etc. etc.

This blog shows how easy it is to fool church goers.

Are you aware that the priests and Levites only worked at the Temple about two weeks per year, on a rotational basis? NOT FULL TIME. The priests and Levites were divided into 24 "courses". See First Chronicles 24 for the priests and chapters 25 and 26 for the Levites. Each course only ministered in the Temple one week out of twenty four (1 in 24), and, depending on how many families were in each course, each family only ministered in the Temple two or three days during its courses’ week of ministry.

Those who use the widows mite as an example of tithing only show their lack of understanding. There is no tenth involved in the widows mite. Has nothing to do with tithing. Not to mention the fact that widows were BENEFICIARIES of the tithe. They were partially supported by the tithe! They didn't tithe.

The Israelite farmers did NOT take their tithe to the Temple. They took it to the Levites who lived in the Levitical cities.

Many pastors say you tithe the FIRST tenth of your income. More lies! Not only was the Biblical tithe NEVER on income, it was NEVER the first. It couldn't be. The firstfruits had to be taken to the Temple for the priests. The tithe could NEVER be the firstfruits nor the first born.

And I repeat: The ONLY people in the Old Testament that were commanded to tithe were those who INHERITED THE PROMISED LAND WITH EVERYTHING ON IT. They got the land, house, animals, crops, etc. ALL FREE AND CLEAR. No mortgage payment or rent to pay. And THEY were commanded to tithe on the crops and animals and take it to the Levites who INHERITED the tithe INSTEAD OF the promised land with everything on it. No one else tithed. Wage earners did not tithe. Jesus did not tithe as a carpenter. Paul did not tithe as a tent maker. Peter did not tithe as a fisherman.

Isn't it odd that even though Abram gave a tenth directly to Melchizedek, the king/priest, that some Christians think they can give directly to God by giving it to their pastor?

I find it quite offensive that pastors have appointed themselves to be the receiver of what belongs to God. After all, the pastor says the tithe belongs to God. Then he appoints himself to receive the tithe!!!

God never gave any pastor or church permission to receive his tithe. God commanded His tithe be taken to the Levites, FOREVER, in Numbers 18.

Since the tithe belongs to God, if a pastor accepts it isn't he stealing it from God?
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Joagbaje(m): 7:46pm On Aug 05, 2011
pelezico:

i herald from the UK and i know where my giving goes (we have bi anual finance meeting where our givings are discussed and we are charity status - which means the tax man has an eye on us) so i dont have the hang ups that many of you have - but i would feel just the same as many of you and would not give .

Our church supports many fellowships world wide - we are not wealthy by some peoples standards but we give.  We support churches directly in nigeria lagos Sierra Leone, South Africa, Namibia, Italy, Spain, and in the UK quite a few.  

for instance my friend who was a doctor contracting around London just came off of support.  When he was in support he took care of financing his church and family workign part time as a medical doctor while pastoring . He was Pastoring a new church our from the mother church though the building and some expenses are supported by the mother church.  

Out Pastor wants every pioneering pastor to be off support within i think 4 years.  If international we tend to support alot longer.  It depends on the needs.  The pastor will sometimes have to find a job there so to help to take the burden off teh mother church.

We have struggled and have had to sell some houses that we bought to put up single ladies and men who had know place to stay.

We are still struggling but thats life and Gods helping the church.  People are being blessed.

We dont emphasise on posterity at all - though due to people losing jobs in the uk pastor has started to address this.

So i know where the church finances go -

By the way we support the churches in the uk and international by sending impact teams regular doing stuff like drama, cnoncerts, choir and full on preaching.  So because we are in a church that requires people to get involved we dont complain about where the money goes.

tell them o. To some folks, church is seen as business. not knowing the many sacrifices ministers make just to reach others for jesus.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Enigma(m): 11:24pm On Aug 05, 2011
njira:

@Enigma ~ i must say i apologize ~ my points were about giving to the Church and not specifically the 10% tithing ~ if i say so myself i have not really come to an understanding about the issue but am working on it

You really don't need to apologise. smiley And I agree with you about giving to the "church" in the sense that the New Testament obligation of Christians is indeed giving which includes giving to support the upkeep of the place of worship, to fund the upkeep of "pastors" but more especially to help the poor and needy. There is no obligation on a Christian at all to "tithe".

Even the statement of Paul that the tithe fraudsters often like to quote was not about "tithing" but an appeal to people to give voluntarily whatever they could afford to give; not any particular percentage; certainly not a "tithe". More importantly, Paul was also actually lining up with Jesus asking us to give the to the poor. When the "tithe" fraudsters quote that statement of Paul, they never point out that the collection that Paul took was invariably for the support of poorer Christians ----- not for "pastors"; not to build a "church" or edifice; not to buy sound equipment; not to buy air conditioners and so on. If a church group wants these things, they can still ask their congregation with integrity to give voluntarily but generously to support them. What they must not do is to lie and resort to fraudulent preaching of "tithing".
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by ogajim(m): 1:06am On Aug 06, 2011
Joagbaje:

tell them o. To some folks, church is seen as business. not knowing the many sacrifices ministers make just to reach others for jesus.

Pastor JoAgbaje don come again ooo

Your CEC has about 15 or so branches in the US, I would like to know the percentage of your membership that aren't Nigerians, 1% at BEST so who are you kidding here?

"My people perish for lack of knowledge, ", Instead of prosperity, our people need to pray for the Spirit of DISCERNMENT.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Azibalua(f): 10:26am On Aug 06, 2011
Tithing is nit a law, it is a principle, we don't give our tithes, we pay our tithes,it is gods own and does not belong to us,all Christians ought to pay their tithe.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 10:51am On Aug 06, 2011
@Azibalua: "Tithing is nit a law, it is a principle"

That should summarise it. The problem is that not many people understand the difference between a law and a principle - much less their meanings in Scripture. Interesting articles at givingtithes.com on Biblical tithing for Christians.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Aug 06, 2011
Azibalua:

Tithing is nit a law, it is a principle, we don't give our tithes, we pay our tithes,it is gods own and does not belong to us,all Christians ought to pay their tithe.

And who receives the tithes these false pastors are collecting is it men or God The answer is men that die and not God see below:

Hebrews 7: 8
8 And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 1:52pm On Aug 06, 2011
Febup:

And who receives the tithes these false pastors are collecting is it men or God The answer is men that die and not God see below:

In every single case of tithes and other types of offerings, it is men that receive them. To condemn tithes because men receive them is to condemn all other types of offerings as well, since it is also men that also receive them.

Have you ever given offerings directly to the hand of God? Did He come down directly to receive yours? Is it not true that every single offering you have ever given in your life was received by men? wink
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 2:01pm On Aug 06, 2011
garyarnold:

Isn't it odd that even though Abram gave a tenth directly to Melchizedek, the king/priest, that some Christians think they can give directly to God by giving it to their pastor?

It is not odd, and only those who do not understand Genesis 14 would make arguments like you do.

I find it quite offensive that pastors have appointed themselves to be the receiver of what belongs to God.

In every case of offerings belonging to God, those who received them were men. God did not come down directly to receive anything from their hand to His hand; His offerings have always passed from the hands of men to the hands of other men. Why should that be offensive to you? When has God ever come down to receive anything directly from your hands?
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by garyarnold(m): 5:13pm On Aug 06, 2011
Hebrews 7: 8
8 And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

And here men that die receive tithes - is referring to the Levites.
but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth - referring to Melchizekek.

The Book of Hebrews was written BEFORE the Temple was destroyed and the Israelites kept taking the tithe to the Levitical priesthood until such time.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by garyarnold(m): 5:17pm On Aug 06, 2011
Tithing is not a principle. Only false teachers say it is.

Hebrews 7:5 (KJV) - And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

Matthew 23:23 (KJV) - Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Instead of referring to a website written by a false teacher, search out a website from a reputable theologian.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 6:02pm On Aug 06, 2011
garyarnold:

Tithing is not a principle. Only false teachers say it is.

Tithing is a principle, and sound theologians have well noted that. It is easy to deride others as false teachers when you don't understand the meaning of simple words. wink

Hebrews 7:5 (KJV) - And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

Did Abraham give tithes to Melchizedek by any "commandments" or "according to the Law"? At least, you acknowledge Abraham's tithes was being referred to in the second part of Hebrews 7:8, so by what commandment or law did he do so?

Matthew 23:23 (KJV) - Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

People who argue against the Law are the same people who recommend the Law - that's doesn't come as a surprise. The least you can argue in Matthew 23:23 is that Jesus recommended both things to be done - to disqualify one and keep the other is to twist that verse. Try it out.

Instead of referring to a website written by a false teacher, search out a website from a reputable theologian.

Nice - maybe you should delete your own URL and let people search things out for themselves. That way we know you're not a false teacher. wink
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by PastorKun(m): 6:10pm On Aug 06, 2011
@wordtalk
Assuming you are right (which you are not) that tithing is a principle, why do so many false teachers teach it as a mandatory commandment to christians?

PS: evidently becos the weight of biblical evidence against the false modern day version of tithing is soo high, false teachers to preserve their source of filthy lucre have come up with another sin that tithes is a principle to justify their continued fleecing of the flock via tithes. It is evident from scriptures that tithing has no part in true christianity.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by garyarnold(m): 6:17pm On Aug 06, 2011
The word "tithe" means a tenth. Correct. But the word "tithing" does NOT mean giving a tenth or you could say you are tenthing.

The KJV uses the word "tithe" with Abram in Genesis, but in Hebrews 7, the KJV uses tenth instead of tithe when speaking of Abraham, yet uses the word tithe when referring to the Levites.

The word "tithe" means a tenth UNTIL God gave His definition of His tithe. From that point on, the KJV no longer uses the word "tithe" to just mean a tenth.

The word "tithing" is only used in ONE VERSE in the KJV, and that is in Deut 26:12, where it is referring to God's commands to tithe, and God was specific as to what His tithe consisted of.

Most later versions of the Bible do NOT use the word "tithe" in Genesis, but rather the word tenth.

In Genesis the word "tithe" is a mathematical term that has NOTHING to do with giving to God. God's command to tithe in Leviticus 27:30-34 and Numbers 18 has everything to do with God's definition and His instructions.

To say that Abram "tithed" is not correct. Abram gave a tenth.

This is very technical, but important to understand.

Another example is the word "Levites." When the Bible refers to the Levites, it is referring to all members of the tribe of Levite UNTIL God designates the Levite family of Aaron and his sons to the the priests. At that point, every time the KJV uses the word Levite(s), it is EXCLUDING Aaron and his sons, as from that point forward they are referred to as priests.

Another example: firstfruits offerings. Pastors love to confuse by using the term firstfruits to mean the first of your income. Yet in the KJV, every single time firstfruits offerings is mentioned, it has ONLY to do with the first of the crops. NEVER income.

Taking a word from the Bible and ignoring its context leads to false teaching.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 6:22pm On Aug 06, 2011
Pastor Kun:

@wordtalk
Assuming you are right (which you are not) that tithing is a principle, why do so many false teachers teach it as a mandatory commandment to christians?

Assumptions and presumptions do not help you, Kun. If you already conclude something before you listen to what others have to say, you're not helping matters for yourself, and this is why: "He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him" (Prov. 18:13).

There are false teachers as there are false teachings. I have not argued a case to make tithing a "mandatory commandment" anywhere; and just because many teach unsound things does not negate the meaning of a Biblical principle. Popularity of opinion is not what establishes a matter - if you disagree, you will be surprised to find what the majority of Evangelical leaders say about Jesus Christ.

It is evident from scriptures that tithing has no part in true christianity.

Really? I'm not aware of any anti-tithing theologian who does not agree with tithing for Christians. You simply would not know this, probably because you haven't checked it out.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 06, 2011
wordtalk:

In every single case of tithes and other types of offerings, it is men that receive them. To condemn tithes because men receive them is to condemn all other types of offerings as well, since it is also men that also receive them.

Have you ever given offerings directly to the hand of God? Did He come down directly to receive yours? Is it not true that every single offering you have ever given in your life was received by men? wink

Men who die receives tithes, simply means you don't get any reward for doing so today if you give them your tithes, this is equal to putting money into a bank that is going to close down.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 6:37pm On Aug 06, 2011
@garyarnold,

Please don't try to mislead people, as you're making a very poor case for your arguments.

garyarnold:

The KJV uses the word "tithe" with Abram in Genesis, but in Hebrews 7, the KJV uses tenth instead of tithe when speaking of Abraham, yet uses the word tithe when referring to the Levites.

The KJV uses the word "tithes" for Abraham's gifts both in Genesis 14 and Hebrews 7. I quote them for you to see --

Genesis 14:20
And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.
Hebrews 7:6
But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.

Anyone who has a KJV Bible immediately sees your error, garyarnold. What happens if anyone would easily call you a false teacher for such erratic assertions in just the same way you accuse others of being false teachers? wink

The word "tithe" means a tenth UNTIL God gave His definition of His tithe. From that point on, the KJV no longer uses the word "tithe" to just mean a tenth.

Throughout the Bible, the word translated as tithe has always had only one definition - TENTH. If there is any other definition given to that simple word, please show us.

Most later versions of the Bible do NOT use the word "tithe" in Genesis, but rather the word tenth.

That is simply because the word "tithe" is defined as a "tenth" - pick whatever suits you, either term is fine.

In Genesis the word "tithe" is a mathematical term that has NOTHING to do with giving to God.

In Genesis, the word tithe has everything to do with God. You deny what you simply don't see.

To say that Abram "tithed" is not correct. Abram gave a tenth.

So, are you saying that your copy of the KJV Bible you read could be "INCORRECT" when it says indeed that Abraham gave tithes in both the OT (Gen. 14:20) and the NT (Heb. 7:6)? That's a new one on me. cheesy Please quote those verses from your copy of the KJV and let's compare notes.

Taking a word from the Bible and ignoring its context leads to false teaching.

What is context? When you define it, then we might give you a few examples from the New Testament to compare.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 6:40pm On Aug 06, 2011
Febup:

Men who die receives tithes, simply means you don't get any reward for doing so today if you give them your tithes, this is equal to putting money into a bank that is going to close down.

In all cases of tithes in the Bible, they are received by men. God never once came down to take tithes from anybody with His own hands. So, your initial argument was just uncalled for.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Aug 06, 2011
wordtalk:

In all cases of tithes in the Bible, they are received by men. God never once came down to take tithes from anybody with His own hands. So, your initial argument was just uncalled for.

The tithe collected today is false, the one in the Bible was for teachers of the law, Pharisees and hypocrites! See the verse below:

Matthew 23:23
23 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 6:52pm On Aug 06, 2011
Febup:

The tithe collected today is false, the one in the Bible was for teachers of the law, Pharisees and hypocrites! See the verse below:

Matthew 23:23 is not the only verse that shows us the receivers of tithes in the Bible, unless you're saying that is the only verse you see in the Bible.

However, if the one in the Bible was for "teachers of the law, Pharisees and hypocrites", are you then saying that Melchizedek who received tithes from Abraham was any of those? Was Melchizedek a teacher of the Law? Was he a Pharisee or a hypocrite? If you believe he was, I'd like to see verses that say so.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by garyarnold(m): 7:02pm On Aug 06, 2011
I stand corrected as far as the KJV not using the word tithe with Abraham in Hebrews.

However, I stand by my comments that Abram's tithe had nothing to do with God.  Biblical historians agree that during the days of Abraham, it was custom to give a tenth of war spoils to the king.

In any case, Abraham didn't give a tenth of his income or his wealth.  Abraham give us NO example to follow as far as giving a tenth of our income to the church.  That is pure nonsense.  There is no principle of giving a tenth of one's income here, and there is no principle of giving a tenth of one's income in any of the tithing commands given by God.  That nonsense is made up by wolves in sheep's clothing.

LIST OF TITHING OPPONENTS IN HISTORY

Tithing opponents throughout the years as compiled by Dr. David Croteau, Liberty University, You Mean I Don’t Have to Tithe?, p271-292.

Clement of Rome 100
Didache 100
Justin Martyr 165
Tertullian 230
Origen 255
Cyprian 258
Waldenses 1150+-
Thomas Aquinas 1275
John Wycliff 1384
John Huss 1415
German Peasants 1520
Anabaptists 1525
Erasmus 1536
Otto Brumfels 1534
Martin Luther 1546
Philip Melanchthon 1560
Separatists Amsterdam 1603
John Smythe 1609 Baptist
John Robinson 1610
English Parliament 1650+-
Puritans & Plgrims Mass 1650+-
John Cotton 1652 Puritan
Roger Williams 1636 Baptist
Little Parliament 1653
Oliver Cromwell 1658
John Milton 1658 Puritan
Particular Baptists 1660
John Owen 1680 Baptist
Francis Turretin 1687
John Bunyan 1688 Baptist
Quakers 1768
John Gill 1771 Baptist
John Wesley 1791
BAPTISTS IN AMERICA 1800s
Adam Clarke 1832 Baptist
Charles Buck 1833
J C Philpot 1835 Baptist
Charles H Spurgeon 1832 Baptist
Parsons Cooke 1850
Samuel Harris 1850
Edward A Lawrence 1850
John Peter Lange 1876
Henry William Clark 1891 Engllish
S H Kellogg 1891
G Campbell Morgan 1898 Congregational
Albert Vail 1913 Baptist
Frank Fox 1913
David MaConaughy 1918 Episcopal
William Pettingill 1932
John Harvey Grime 1934 Baptist
John T Mueller 1934 Lutheran
H E Dana 1937 Bapt Historian
R C H LENSKI 1946 Lutheran
Lewis Sperry Chafer 1948 DTS Foundeer
W E Vine 1949
James F Rand 1953
Francis Pieper 1953 Lutheran
Ray Stedman 1951
L L McR 1955 Catholic
Paul Leonard Stagg 1958 Baptist
Hiley H Ward 1958 Baptist
Roy T Cowles 1958
Elizabeth P Tilton 1958
R C Rein 1958 Lutheran
Robert A Baker 1959 Bapt Historian
Wick Bromall 1960
John Byron Evans 1960
Norman Tenpas 1967
James Edward Anderson 1967
Alfred Martin 1968
CHARLES C RYRIE 1969 DTS
Jerry Horner 1972 S Baptist
Pieter Verhoef 1974
Dennis Wretlind 1975
Jack J Peterson 1978 Pres
Donald Kraybill 1978
Jon Zens 1979 Baptist
Richard Cunningham 1979 S Bapt
Gary Frieson 1980
JOHN MACARTHUR 1982-2000
Paul Fink 1982
George Monroe Castillo 1982
Tony Badillo 1984
James M Boice 1986
Michael E Oliver 1986 Rest
W Clyde Tilley 1987
Scott Collier 1987
Ronald M Campbell 1987
R E O White 1988
William McDonald 1989
Charles Swindoll 1990 Dallas Seminary
Rhodes Thompson 1990
J VERNON MCGEE 1999
Jerome Smith 1992
CRAIG BLOMBERG 1993 Denver Seminary
J Duncan M Derrett 1993
Walter Kaiser Jr 1994 Gordon-Cromwell
Moises Silva 1994
Benny D Prince 1995
Brian K Morley 1996
Linda L Belleville 1996
Ron Rhodes 1997
Ernest L Martin 1997
Michael Webb 1998
R Johnston 1999
Mark Snoeberger 2000 Baptist
Stuart Murray 2000 Eng
George W Greene 2000
Old Line Primitive Baptists 2000
Jaime Cardinal Sin 2000 Cath Archbishop
RUSSELL EARL KELLY 2001 Baptist
Jonathan Kitchcart 2001
Frank Viola 2002
George Barna 2002
Michael Morrison 2002
Elliott Miller 2003
Matthew Narramore 2004
David Alan Black 2004 Baptist SEBTS
Andreas Kostenberger 2007 Baptist SEBTS
Danny Akin 2007 Baptist SEBTS
Mark Driscoll 2008
Roman Catholic Church
Jehovah’s Witnesses
New Worldwide Church of God

Many of the above theologians says there is NO PLACE for tithing in the Christian Church, and agree that you can't tithe Biblically now even if you wanted to.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Aug 06, 2011
wordtalk:

Matthew 23:23 is not the only verse that shows us the receivers of tithes in the Bible, unless you're saying that is the only verse you see in the Bible.

Ok here is another example, the tax collector below did not pay tax on his income as tax collector but he went home justified before God rather than the Pharisee who gave a tenth of all he gets.’ Yet I hear tithe payers boosting that God has blessed them more than those who don't give tithe of their income to false pastors.

Luke 18: 10 - 14
10“Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his bosom and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 7:37pm On Aug 06, 2011
garyarnold:

I stand corrected as far as the KJV not using the word tithe with Abraham in Hebrews.

That's fine. None of us know it all, and I certainly do not know everything. The one concern I have is the ease with which many people accuse others of being "false teachers" simply because the accusers do not like tithing - that is not helping at all.

However, I stand by my comments that Abram's tithe had nothing to do with God.  Biblical historians agree that during the days of Abraham, it was custom to give a tenth of war spoils to the king.

It is one thing to be a Biblical historian and quite another to be a Theologian with a Biblical worldview. I don't know how many sound 'Biblical historians' conclude that Abraham's tithes had nothing to do with God; but I know a handful of scholarly references that affirm indeed that Abraham's tithes were essentially a response of worship to God.

So when we read that 'Biblical historians agree' this and that, it is essential to know exactly what they are agreeing to; rather than just repeat assertions that are skewed and baseless. What theologians would ask in Abraham's case is this: WHY MELCHIZEDEK? If Genesis 14:20 had nothing to do with God, then Melchizedek would be the least qualified of all kings to have received tithes from Abraham. When you seek answers to that question on sound principles of Biblical hermeneutics, you'll see why your conclusions are unjustified.

In any case, Abraham didn't give a tenth of his income or his wealth.  Abraham give us NO example to follow as far as giving a tenth of our income to the church.  That is pure nonsense.  There is no principle of giving a tenth of one's income here, and there is no principle of giving a tenth of one's income in any of the tithing commands given by God.  That nonsense is made up by wolves in sheep's clothing.

Relax, the heat of 'pure nonsense' is unnecessary and betrays some desperation on your part. If there was no principle of giving a tenth of what someone possesses, then where did the Levites get the idea of tithes and tithing from? Only someone who ignores Genesis would assume that Biblical tithing began in Leviticus - what a laugh that would be both for historians and theologians!

Because the Bible authors are not blind to the subject, that is why both Abraham's and the Levitical tithes are mentioned in Hebrews 7. The author there does not ignore or rubbish Abraham's tithes at all; rather he affirms that before the question of the Levitical tithes arose, Abraham's tithes should be highlighted. This is why you need to go back and study the meaning of a Biblical principle in hermenuetics.

LIST OF TITHING OPPONENTS IN HISTORY

Tithing opponents throughout the years as compiled by Dr. David Croteau, Liberty University, You Mean I Don’t Have to Tithe?, p271-292.

Two things are deeply wrong with this list:

(a) First, Croteau's list is not scholarly - for someone with a doctorate! I'm not quite sure he carefully considered the names in the list; for several of them did not "oppose" tithes (e.g., the Didache; Thomas Aquinas; Mark Driscoll, etc.). In another consideration, not all the names in that list actually "oppose" tithing in the way anti-tithers would try to make us believe. Russell Kelly, for example, may argue long and hard against tithing, but what would you do if someone was to show you that the same Russell Kelly agreed that Christians can pay tithes?!? cheesy

(b) Second, the list is unbalanced as it says nothing of numerous other theologians in history that encouraged tithing among Christians. I'm sure that if Croteau did a bit of philosophy in earning his doctorate, it would have been obvious to him that listing only those who agree with you is considered shoddy thinking in academia! That is what is loosely called an argument by demagoguery, and you can ask how seriously real scholars take any such work!

Anyone can make a list - at the end of the day, we can either consider it seriously or simply laugh at its shoddy appeal to scholarship.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 7:44pm On Aug 06, 2011
Febup:

Ok here is another example, the tax collector below did not pay tax on his income as tax collector but he went home justified before God rather than the Pharisee who gave a tenth of all he gets.’ Yet I hear tithe payers boosting that God has blessed them more than those who don't give tithe of their income to false pastors.

What really is your point? It seems you're swaying this way and that and not able to hold a consistent view.

I didn't ask for "another example"; rather, I made the point that Matthew 23:23 is not the only verse that shows us the receivers of tithes in the Bible. Since you argued that the tithes in the Bible were "for teachers of the law, Pharisees and hypocrites", I asked you to show me where Melchizedek was any of those things. Do you have any verse for that?

You can't argue that the tithe in the Bible was "for teachers of the law, Pharisees and hypocrites" as if that is the only thing taught throughout the Bible concerning tithes. Just try and make some sense in what you say and mean, so that you won't have to asked to justify things that you cannot affirm.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 06, 2011
wordtalk:

You can't argue that the tithe in the Bible was "for teachers of the law, Pharisees and hypocrites" as if that is the only thing taught throughout the Bible concerning tithes. Just try and make some sense in what you say and mean, so that you won't have to asked to justify things that you cannot affirm.

I'm referring to the tithes collected in churches today, they are similar to those of the "teachers of the law, Pharisees and hypocrites" which Jesus was referring to, though false pastors have changed it to tithes of income. Abram's tithe to Melchizedek was a different kind of tithe so it is better you leave it out. But if you insist on bringing this on then it just goes to show your are very deceitful and satan is very good at doing that.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 8:21pm On Aug 06, 2011
Febup:

I'm referring to the tithes collected in churches today, they are similar to those of the "teachers of the law, Pharisees and hypocrites" which Jesus was referring to, though false pastors have changed it to tithes of income.

Did you read the end of Matthew 23:23? If Jesus was condemning people for receiving tithes, how do you explain the fact that they should continue to receive tithes in the same way as they observe the weightier matters of the Law?

Abram's tithe to Melchizedek was a different kind of tithe so it is better you leave it out.

Sorry, I don't see the author of Hebrews 7 leaving it out, and that's why I discuss it as well. For too long, many anti-tithers have concluded wrong things about Abraham's tithes to Melchizedek that is why they always in a hurry to leave it out, or end up name-calling others out of desperation - which is why I'm not surprised at this part of your quote:

But if you insist on bringing this on then it just goes to show your are very deceitful and satan is very good at doing that.

I hope you remember to say the same things about your anti-tithing theologians when I show you that they also agree with tithing pastors? If you shy away from calling them the same name, perhaps it would be that your theologians have bigger deceit than you see in others you wrongly accuse. wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply)

The Idiocy Of Attacking Oyedepo On CAMA, By Emmanuel Onwubiko / Sleep Paralysis or Being 'Pressed' At Night - Natural or Supernatural? / Don't Campaign On Pulpit, Adeboye Warns Redeemed Pastors.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.