Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,929 members, 7,835,101 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

A Tale of Tobi Amasun (100m World Record ) : Nigerian In Urgent Need Of Rebirth - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Tale of Tobi Amasun (100m World Record ) : Nigerian In Urgent Need Of Rebirth (541 Views)

Shehu Sani On Coronavirus: 'If The Italian Patient Were A Nigerian In Italy....' / Ekiti State: A Tale Of Two Governors, Then And Now Photos / PDP Rebirth Reacts To Attack On NEMA By Shiites Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Tale of Tobi Amasun (100m World Record ) : Nigerian In Urgent Need Of Rebirth by JOpress3: 9:25pm On Jul 25, 2022
Nigeria a country blessed with Abundant potential in all aspect, but reduced to mediocrity and inferiority complex on global stage.

I was sad and sober reading through Tobi Amasun (current 100m world record holder) interview on her journey to stardom with BBC online sports news.

She spoke passionately about her Dad's complete opposition to her being an athlete, hear her

"My dad got really mad one time when he found out [I was running]. He burnt all my training gear and told my mum that's the last time he wanted to see me in a stadium." Personally I consider the action of her Dad a legimate fear of most parents for their daughters and I can't condem him.

My major worries is not her Dad's opposing stand, but on the second aspect she spoke about Nigeria, the hurrible challenges she scale through running in Nigeria, hear her speak

"The officials were always picking who they wanted in the relay team. Sometimes they would say I didn't have the experience so they would pick whoever was their favourite," she explained.

"It was a lot of pressure on a young athlete. I considered quitting. I really wanted to travel with the senior national team and some coaches told me to try the hurdles."

"The typical Nigerian approach is to make you feel like you cannot make it," she said.

"They Make you feel like you cannot make it"

this statement got deep into my bone marrow, because I have heard this same complaints from several Nigerians, over and again.

My question is, why is Nigeria like this to it's hard working Citizens?

Her last statement was the Hallmark of courage, self believe and a good reason why Nigeria need urgent rebirth, hear her speak again

"I wasn't expected to medal at those Games. There were so many voices saying I couldn't but I used that to show that I could - and that title changed my life.

"That's how I got a scholarships to the United States. I can say that's really when my athletics career began. I never dreamt of going to the United States. I just wanted to run fast and be one of the Nigerian greats."

Since moving to attend the University of Texas, El Paso, Amusan has not looked back."

So, if she had not gone to united States, the land where dream become real, she would not have been known, less breaking the 100m world record.

One can only imagine the number of potential that have drowned under those negative voices in Nigeria.

Unfortunately, there are many Tobi Amasun out there full of potential, yet struggling with those negative Nigeria voice everywhere armed to the teeth to drown positive energy.

Indeed Nigeria is in urgent need of rebirth.
2023 is a big opportunity to change the narrative for good. Vote wisely

Cheers
Re: A Tale of Tobi Amasun (100m World Record ) : Nigerian In Urgent Need Of Rebirth by GodsOwnMan: 10:15pm On Jul 25, 2022
What is needed is a government made up of ONLY Yoruba people because they are the most competent. Short of that, I will have to make do with Tinubu/Shettima.

1 Like

Re: A Tale of Tobi Amasun (100m World Record ) : Nigerian In Urgent Need Of Rebirth by JOpress3: 11:20pm On Jul 25, 2022
GodsOwnMan:
What is needed is a government made up of ONLY Yoruba people because they are the most competent. Short of that, I will have to make do with Tinubu/Shettima.
You're wrong on your Ethnic limitation on competence. Competence abound every where, South South, North Central, South east. I think Peter Obi Resonate with Nigerian Youth reality.
Re: A Tale of Tobi Amasun (100m World Record ) : Nigerian In Urgent Need Of Rebirth by GodsOwnMan: 11:24pm On Jul 25, 2022
JOpress3:

You're wrong on your Ethnic limitation on competence. Competence abound every where, South South, North Central, South east. I think Peter Obi Resonate with Nigerian Youth reality.

peter who? this one?

Re: A Tale of Tobi Amasun (100m World Record ) : Nigerian In Urgent Need Of Rebirth by FreeStuffsNG: 11:49pm On Jul 25, 2022
It is Tobi Amusan not Amasun wink

(1) (Reply)

Though I Am Still An APC Member, I Chose To Be Obi-dient & Yusful - Chris Nwokia / APC Presidential Aspirant Bola Ahmed Tinubu In A Recent Event / Again, APC Blames Jonathan Over Insecurity In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.