Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,761 members, 7,824,184 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

Rule Of Law Effective In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rule Of Law Effective In Nigeria (11408 Views)

Would Goodluck Ebele Jonathan (GEJ) Be More Effective In The Zoo? / Tambuwal Blasts Obasanjo On Rule Of Law / Tinubu: APC Will End PDP's Rule Of Scavengers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rule Of Law Effective In Nigeria by yomceluv(f): 11:53am On Aug 15, 2007
rule of law,in nigeria, yes or no?
Re: Rule Of Law Effective In Nigeria by yomceluv(f): 11:59am On Aug 15, 2007
actually, i feel the rule of law is not all that actualized in our country. there is still uneqality before our law, fundamental human rights are not all that observed and even some so called human beings regard themselves above the law or what do you think.
Re: Rule Of Law Effective In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:07pm On Aug 15, 2007
How will you know if it is effective or not except you actually go initiate a suit. Most Nigerians when their rights are infringed upon just raise their hands up in despair and say they will leave it to God. They do not have the patience to go to court, they prefer to complain and do nothing.
Contrary to popular belief some lawyers work on a no win no fee basis especially if the case bothers on infringement of human rights because they want to make a name for themselves.
Re: Rule Of Law Effective In Nigeria by chidichris(m): 8:50am On Aug 23, 2007
aisha,
are u a lawyer? if yes, your contact detials pls.
if no, how many times have been to a nigerian court to defend your right?
that is is the funniest thing i ve hard for quite a long time.
nigerian police transact their bribery businesses in the open air and even our lawyers give bribe to the police and will encourage you to give to avoid police wahala so how come or how can they come to court to defend your right?
argue with police and they will kill u and call u a criminal that was killed in a gun battle or even hid a gun or drugs in your car or house and then charge u officially for possession of fire arms or substance suspected to be hard drugs.
pls be informed that the Rule Of Law in nigeria can only be described as a political terminology to express political situations in a democratic setting. in practice usa and other developed countries of the world are thought to be close to practicing it and nigeria do learn these terms in school as literature and has nothing yet to do with the practice.
aisha, do u know is not allowed to be detained for more than 48 hours without officially charging u to court but nigerian police can keep u for 10 months pending when u raise money for ur bail.
how many people go back to police station to claims the money they deposit for bail at the end of their cases knowing too well that the money will be shared among the police office even before you leave the police station.
as rich and influential as orji uzo kalu, his companies are been siezed for mere accusation when the law says that an accused person remains innocent untill he/she is proved guilty by a law court.
so who can get this justice denied such big boys, u and i? illusion
Re: Rule Of Law Effective In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:22pm On Aug 23, 2007
chidichris:

aisha,
are u a lawyer? if yes, your contact detials please.
if no, how many times have been to a nigerian court to defend your right?
that is is the funniest thing i ve hard for quite a long time.
nigerian police transact their bribery businesses in the open air and even our lawyers give bribe to the police and will encourage you to give to avoid police wahala so how come or how can they come to court to defend your right?
argue with police and they will kill u and call u a criminal that was killed in a gun battle or even hid a gun or drugs in your car or house and then charge u officially for possession of fire arms or substance suspected to be hard drugs.
please be informed that the Rule Of Law in nigeria can only be described as a political terminology to express political situations in a democratic setting. in practice usa and other developed countries of the world are thought to be close to practicing it and nigeria do learn these terms in school as literature and has nothing yet to do with the practice.
aisha, do u know is not allowed to be detained for more than 48 hours without officially charging u to court but nigerian police can keep u for 10 months pending when u raise money for your bail.
how many people go back to police station to claims the money they deposit for bail at the end of their cases knowing too well that the money will be shared among the police office even before you leave the police station.
as rich and influential as orji uzo kalu, his companies are been siezed for mere accusation when the law says that an accused person remains innocent untill he/she is proved guilty by a law court.
so who can get this justice denied such big boys, u and i? illusion
Kalu Properties were seized because they were illegally acquired which is a part of law.
For your other Compliants, yes things like that happen but it is because people continue to condone it. What happened to Apo 6, If the people had kept quite and left it to God until today we will still think that they were armed robbers.
It was when they spoke out and sought for justice that they got justice.
I am not saying our Legal System is fool-Pfroof but we Nigerians have an attutide of Just complaining and not onig anything else, I have worked to people who have been wronged by various Organisations and when we advise them to take Legal Action which we will pay for they say No they will Leave God to Judge.
My Point, If you are wronged speak out, take anohter bold stae and seek redress, it will be very difficult but I can tell you, that in the last year, a over 80% of the cases which we refered to a non- Governmental human Rights organisation got favourable judgements even thogh most of the cases took years to settle but in the end Justice prevailed
Re: Rule Of Law Effective In Nigeria by Hollowu: 6:50pm On Mar 09, 2015
You guys really just help me with ya different view.... not to be selfish, I will just say... Nigeria is not there yet based on illiteracy-language barrier- to the language constitution is written... we claim is available.... how many citizens can understand the content of the constitution unlike the likes of USA which there primary language is English and fundamental righf stated with that same language too. the nature of judiciary independent is also an issue... an important point by one of the previous comment was our nature n believe as an average African "you never go to court n return being friend' and our religion factor 'leaving all to God'...

At the other hand... face a police officer with confidence of ya right... his gonna let you go with respect n never try to go further harrasing your human right.

I will finally say... as far as Rule of Law is concern.... no Nation can claim to have practice it as expected... the degree only differ.

thanks... just don't wanna get something from you without dropping my too... lets keep on contributing to knowledge... cheers!

(1) (Reply)

Bomb Explosion In Madagali, Adamawa State, 3 Dead / Buhari Returns From South Africa / APC Post Primary Crisis Deepens In Bayelsa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.