Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,862 members, 7,813,944 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:17 PM

States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 (56713 Views)

Buratai, Olonisakin, Ex-Service Chiefs To Forfeit Salaries As Ambassadors / Budgit Exposes 17 States Owing Salaries, Pensions Despite N1.8trillion Bailout / FG Bars States Owing Salaries From Accessing $2.69bn Paris Club Refunds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by powerfulguy: 8:33pm On Aug 11, 2022
States owing salaries of six months and above as at July 31, 2022
1. Abia
2. Ebonyi
3. Edo
4. Imo
5. Nasarawa
6. Ondo
7. Plateau
8. Taraba
https://twitter.com/thecableindex/status/1557807551273631746?t=miYP-HcAQ-ADStJsXKwUtw&s=19

STATES OWING WORKERS' SALARY

Abia (6 months & above)
Adamawa (3-5 months)
Benue (3-5 months)
Cross river (1-2 months)
Delta (1-2 months)
Ebonyi (6 months & above)
Edo (6 months & above)
Imo (6 months & above)
Kogi (3-5months)
Nasarawa (6 months & above)
Ondo (6 months & above)
Plateau (6 months & above)
Taraba (6 months & above)
https://twitter.com/StatiSense/status/1557789811951521797?t=62PHCNHkrEm9srYALjCnmw&s=19

’12 states owing salaries’ — BudgIT condemns non-payment of workers’ remuneration

BudgIT, a civic-tech organisation, has expressed concerns over the refusal of state governments to pay workers’ salaries.

BudgIT said this in a statement on Thursday signed by Iyanu Fatoba, assistant head, media and communications.

The organisation said the outcome of its 2022 Nigerian Sub-National Salary Survey showed that at least 12 states owe their workers at least one month’s salary as of July 28, 2022.

It urged concerned states to prioritise employees’ rights by paying all accrued salaries.

“BudgIT expressed this disapproval after its empirical survey across the 36 states in the federation revealed that at least 12 states owe their workers at least one month’s salary as of July 28, 2022,” the statement reads.

“BudgIT conducted this empirical survey to spotlight and identify state governments that have consistently failed to meet the essential requirement of governance and employee compensation, thereby subjecting their workers to unpaid labour and harsh living conditions.

While the findings from the survey favoured states that are not in arrears, states like Abia, Adamawa, Ebonyi, Ondo and Taraba owe three (3) years or less in payments.

“For example, Abia state currently owes its state tertiary institution workers six (6) months’ salary, while Ebonyi has not paid its pensioners in the last six (6) months. Secretariat workers in Taraba complained of irregular salary payments for up to six (6) months, while lecturers at state tertiary institutions and midwives in the state-owned hospital in Ondo State have not been paid a dime in the last four (4) months.”

Iniobong Usen, BudgIT’s head of research and policy advisory, said civil servants’ remuneration is a necessary part of the employer-employee relationship, whether at the state or federal level.

Usen said the delay in payment of salaries affects the smooth working of the government, adding that the survival and livelihood of civil servants depend on timely salary payment and the government’s refusal to pay shows its disregard for the legal obligation to pay.

“Nigerian civil servants are unfortunately no strangers to delays and gaps in monthly salary payments. Despite belonging to the executive implementing arm of the government, they have been left without payments in many instances. With several states guilty of this non-payment, civil servants are often at wit’s end at ‘month end,” he said.

The civic tech group further said the lingering issue has become worrisome, adding that non-salary payments are a breach of the basic contractual provisions between an employer and employee and failed to recognise national legislation on employee rights at the continental and international levels.

“BudgIT posits that this state of affairs is a combination of ‘governance failure’ bordering on mismanagement and administrative inefficiency, an unnecessarily large wage bill which itself may be due to poor planning and hiring practices, and a problem of broader macroeconomic downturns which in some sense are beyond the control of the state governments, as they have little influence over monetary and fiscal policies,” the group added.

“Therefore, BudgIT calls on the various state governments to urgently address this glaring inability to pay state workers’ salaries as the attitude, enthusiasm, productivity and survival of state workers and their families are directly related to the timeliness of their remuneration.”

https://www.thecable.ng/12-states-owing-salaries-budgit-condemns-non-payment-of-workers-remuneration/amp

212 Likes 2 Shares

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by Fkmodhi: 8:36pm On Aug 11, 2022
I know that kerosine man will top the table and e sure me that the electorates will still elect his anointed candidate smh....

382 Likes 16 Shares

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by NuclearWinter: 8:37pm On Aug 11, 2022
Yeast topping the list

Parasites

331 Likes 16 Shares

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by abobote: 8:38pm On Aug 11, 2022
Imo state must be there, I know that surpreme Court governor is good for nothing.
Abia is a normal thing, Ebony is surprising coz that Umahi boasts too much.

But on serious note, how can owe workers, 5months. People that have to feed, family and other needs to attend..
And this kind of thing only happen in Nigeria.
Worst; some of the workers will still vote the governors again, if they are on ballot

413 Likes 9 Shares

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by Yoruba1stson: 8:40pm On Aug 11, 2022
Potopoto region topping the list as usual

316 Likes 11 Shares

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by psucc(m): 8:41pm On Aug 11, 2022
I no c kogi

212 Likes

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by MayorOfDelta(m): 8:57pm On Aug 11, 2022
NuclearWinter:
Yeast topping the list

Parasites

Talk say e pain you say you no see anambra for there... Na im make you reach the thread.

324 Likes 8 Shares

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by NuclearWinter: 9:02pm On Aug 11, 2022
MayorOfDelta:

Talk say e pain you say you no see anambra for there... Na im make you reach the thread.

Actually , I only expect to see Anambra when there is a thread on arrest of drug peddlers, baby factories and homosexual brothel raids.

That's what that Godforsaken land is known for.

314 Likes 9 Shares

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by trutharena: 9:02pm On Aug 11, 2022
You have 3 Igbo states out of five.

Yet some of those clowns are on Twitter space yesterday telling the Yorubas they want to Liberate Lagos people from Sanwo-Olu and Tinubu.

Imagine a state where 3 of their 5 states are owing workers salary are trying to liberate a state paying minimum wage and never owing workers salary.

No be their fault tho, na some Yoruba sophistico be sell outs.

389 Likes 17 Shares

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by MayorOfDelta(m): 9:03pm On Aug 11, 2022
NuclearWinter:

Actually , I only expect to see Anambra when there is a thread on arrest of drug peddlers, baby factories and homosexual brothel raids.

That's what that Godforsaken land is known for.

I can taste your tears.

292 Likes 8 Shares

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by Blue3k(m): 9:06pm On Aug 11, 2022
Lol what's so hard about budgeting for states in Nigeria? The state assemblies should have accounts on payroll to give them projections. Besides unlike private businesses you can tax aka steal cash to pay your worker. Lastly if you're owing you can always institute hiring freeze and cut workforce.

199 Likes

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by NuclearWinter: 9:06pm On Aug 11, 2022
MayorOfDelta:

I can taste your tears.

Oh really?

Then have a whiff of my ass while you are at it

O
S
U

248 Likes 4 Shares

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by MayorOfDelta(m): 9:20pm On Aug 11, 2022
NuclearWinter:

Oh really?

Then have a whiff of my ass while you are at it

O
S
U

Sorry, you failed again I am not from the east!

258 Likes 5 Shares

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by Michelle70(m): 9:24pm On Aug 11, 2022
failed states

211 Likes 1 Share

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by 3ple9iner: 9:25pm On Aug 11, 2022
How can you owe family people their salaries and you are comfortable as a governor? Ondo state governor fall my hand oo.

236 Likes 2 Shares

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by nedu666: 9:25pm On Aug 11, 2022
So ortom is owing 5months

Osun dat has not remitted pension deduction for 8 years is not owing

Ogun dat doesn't remit pension deduction is not owing

Zamfara that doesn't pay even 18k minimum wage is not owing

215 Likes 1 Share

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by PandoraObi: 9:27pm On Aug 11, 2022
Two Igbo state

217 Likes 1 Share

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by Blue3k(m): 9:30pm On Aug 11, 2022
nedu666:
So ortom is owing 5months
Zamfara that doesn't pay even 18k minimum wage is not owing

I'll never understand what's the point of a federal minimum wage law if they don't care to enforce it. Lol it's in the exclusive list but it doesn't matter.

208 Likes

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by Jesusloveyou: 9:32pm On Aug 11, 2022
how come Edo is there.
I can't believe, because obaseki pays every on the 25th. even plan to start paying 40k minimum wage.
that is the only thing he is doing well even as I hate him.

215 Likes 1 Share

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by trutharena: 9:33pm On Aug 11, 2022
powerfulguy OP use this map asa better description.

What I don't understand is how the Northern governors are able to pay salary while their counterpart in the South are owing salaries. yet, Southerners always abuse the North as the decayed part of Nigeria.

See the SE, three states are owing over 6month salary and yet the Igbos want to liberate Lagos from Sanwo-olu and Tinubu. They will be blaming Tinubu everyday and yet their governors are making their people poor and wretched in the East.

Akeredolu is a disgrace. After Lagos, that state recieve the highest allocation in the SW and yet Akeredolu owing Salaries.

Heaven bless Oyetola, Osun wasn't on the list because he is not owing salaries, did not borrow as governor and yet Osun people voted him out for an Adeleke who got no plan or manifesto but just dancing, and they call it democracy.

Nigeria is the more you look, the less you see.

268 Likes 11 Shares

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by nedu666: 9:38pm On Aug 11, 2022
Blue3k:

I'll never understand what's the point of a federal minimum wage law if they don't care to enforce it. Lol it's in the exclusive list but it doesn't matter.

Even some states that are paying regular will deduct pension but neva remits the deduction to ur pension provider. When you retire no pension no gratuity. Yet they are not owing.

214 Likes

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by nedu666: 9:40pm On Aug 11, 2022
trutharena:
OP use this map asa better description.

What I don't understand is how the Northern governors are able to pay salary while their counterpart in the South are owing salaries. yet, Southerners always abuse the North as the decayed part of Nigeria.

See the SE, three states are owing over 6month salary and yet the Igbos want to liberate Lagos from Sanwo-olu and Tinubu. They will be blaming Tinubu everyday and yet their governors are making their people poor and wretched in the East.

Nigeria is the more you look, the less you see.

Rubbish and incomplete info. Let budget it list those paying
30k minimum wage
18k minimum wage
Below 18k wage

I know for sure zamfara doesn't pay 18k minimum wage.

204 Likes 3 Shares

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by Blue3k(m): 9:50pm On Aug 11, 2022
nedu666:

Even some states that are paying regular will deduct pension but neva remits the deduction to ur pension provider. When you retire no pension no gratuity. Yet they are not owing.

Well you know they're talking about salaries not pensions but I recognize your arguement. They're just breaking contracts. I don’t understand how Nigerian pensions schemes even work. How is the money invested that they feel secure making these promises? I understand how something like the Texas School teachers retirement fund works. They have a over 100 billion dollars invested in the market. Lol what's sad is none of this will ever be a campaign issue.

https://www.trs.texas.gov/Pages/media_fund_facts.aspx

@omohayek @grandstar do you either of you happen to know how these pension plans work?

199 Likes

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by 666Advocate: 9:52pm On Aug 11, 2022
Douye Diri is doing Bayelsa well.

196 Likes

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by OfoIgbo: 9:58pm On Aug 11, 2022
Mainly APC states.

How come I'm not surprised?

199 Likes

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by rusher14: 10:06pm On Aug 11, 2022
PandoraObi:
Two Igbo state

Abia, Ebonyi, Imo.

219 Likes 1 Share

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by PandoraObi: 10:09pm On Aug 11, 2022
rusher14:

3. Abia, Ebonyi, Imo.
Oooooooh thanks I didn't check

214 Likes

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by nazicartel(m): 10:16pm On Aug 11, 2022
But seriously. Why can't states pay their workers ?

202 Likes 1 Share

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by Blue3k(m): 10:24pm On Aug 11, 2022
nazicartel:
But seriously. Why can't states pay their workers ?

They dont care to budget well simple as that. There's no mystery to solve. You see the private sector work this "miracle" every day.

206 Likes

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by nazicartel(m): 10:30pm On Aug 11, 2022
Blue3k:

They dont care to budget well simple as that. There's no mystery to solve. You see the private sector work this "miracle" every day.
Like. I still don't understand. I have tried to study this issue of non-payment of salaries. It's very bad and the govt doesn't have any defense for that. Private companies are paying people working for them. When I was running a private firm. I make sure I pay off everybody even if it means not sleeping. If Governors can buy exclusive houses and bullet proof cars worth millions. why can't they pay salaries. Now come to pensions and gratuities. These are monies saved for a period of time. Why can't it be released to the people that owns it. Like I have stopped discussing about Nigerian issues. Go to Abia state and see what the governor is doing. Pensioners hasn't been paid for morethan a yr. When I contacted one of the henchmen in Okezuo's cabinet. They don't just know what to say. All failures and foolish beings. Wicked and hopeless people. God will surely judge them

210 Likes 5 Shares

Re: States Owing Salaries As At July 31, 2022 by grandstar(m): 10:45pm On Aug 11, 2022
Blue3k:

Well you know they're talking about salaries not pensions but I recognize your arguement. They're just breaking contracts. I don’t understand how Nigerian pensions schemes even work. How is the money invested that they feel secure making these promises? I understand how something like the Texas School teachers retirement fund works. They have a over 100 billion dollars invested in the market. Lol what's sad is none of this will ever be a campaign issue.

https://www.trs.texas.gov/Pages/media_fund_facts.aspx

@omohayek @grandstar do you either of you happen to know how these pension plans work?

The little I know is that workers are to contribute 5% of their salaries while employers chip in another 5%- totalng 10% of one's income towards their pension monthly.

What I am not certain is whether contributions are obligatory.

It is a pity that states which should know better are ripping workers off. It's dreadful. It's inexcusable and heartless.

I have to be honest with you, I'm not a fan of fully funded pensions. A good number of workers would never be able to save enough to enjoy their old age. I seriously doubt the ability of these pensions to payout enough annuity to retirees, considering that treasury bills have been paying next to nothing for years now.

The real benefit of "fully funded pensions" should be to reduce the costs of taking care of retirees by governments. This will reduce the strain on the government purse. Also, as you have shown, pensions are a massive source of investment to the economy.

205 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Donald Duke Blasts Buhari For Appointing Yusuf Magaji Bichi As New DG SSS / Terrorists Release Another Photograph Of Abducted Kaduna-Abuja Train Passengers / Osun Election: PDP’s Adeleke Wins, APC Kicks - Vanguard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.