Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,242 members, 7,836,155 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:41 PM

SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister (33884 Views)

Students Won’t Write 2020 WAEC – Adamu, Education Minister / SSANU, NAAT, NASU Suspend Three Months Strike / ASUU To Suspend Strike After Closed Door Meeting With FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by Nobody: 4:48pm On Aug 20, 2022
Epurogonogono:

[b]
I know that the class of education gotten in public tertiary institutions in Nigeria is very poor, but it's better than none.

I can tell you for a fact that if people could afford it, they wouldn't even send their children to these public tertiary institutions.

Your proposition, if carried out by the government would not even affect the rich man's children who either attends private or foreign universities.

Let me tell you, if we end up paying higher taxes, who does it affect the most? Is it not still the poor man whose salary is barely enough to for his family that would get affected the most? Taxes have not yielded a lot of benefits for the common man in Nigeria.

The problem with the Nigerian government is that they don't take education as a very important sector in the country as they do with some sections that affect them and there loved ones.
I can tell you that if any of their children attends any of these public tertiary institutions, there would be any strike in the first place.
[/b]

And in response, I am going to be a bit harsh and say that you should stop complaining about how government runs education then. At the end, the public universites will become worse than the private universities...and you know what that means for the job market? The rich kids get an advantage since they can afford the better education in private unis (AND it is already happening.).

If government realises how important education is, they would raise the money for it by taxation and/or fees. Not by hoping that the price of oil , cocoa, groundnut and so forth goes high enough for us to pay for 'quality education' because it can't happen.

Yeah, in the past we were able to pay for quality universites and high grade lecturers with revenue from cocoa, palmoil etc, because back when my dad went to university, there were six of them and none of them had more than 4000 students apiece. Naturally there was more than enough money for things like student housing almost free food, and so forth.

Not now , where there are nearly 40000 students in one university. Even if we threw our entire national budget at the problem, it won't solve much.

At the end , fees have to go up, or taxes go up to fund expensive universities. The poor can be helped by a combination of grants, scholarships and loans. In South Africa, fees are sky high, but if your parents earn below a certain level, government will step in and help (and they enforce that level strictly...I once read of one South African lass who did not qualify because her parent's earning was a few hundred rand above the financial cut off point. She had to hustle for more money).

Either we want good universities or we don't. Either we get good quality education, or we don't. We cannot be complaining about problems, and then when solution comes, complain that the solution is not to our liking..we take the solution or we don't. And God knows I wish there was a way we could have world class unviersites for just 10000 naira a year per student...without going into debt, or high taxes, or paying for it somehow.

3 Likes

Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by onyxo76(m): 4:54pm On Aug 20, 2022
7u
Tareq1105:

What's the difference between Yar adua and Jonathan 2007-2015?

PDP signed Agreement in 2009 with ASUU but never implement it till it left in 2015. Everybody including PDP members are now shouting APC APC APC over the Agreement they couldn't implement.

Unfortunately these students are indomie children with no knowledge of history.

If I have access to government, I will make our Universities autonomous. I'll allow them to charge fees and run their schools. No government intervention. Then, students whose parents cannot afford the school fees, will have access to Students Loan. I'll bring back Education Loan Board.

This will end corruption in Education Sector from the Ministry to Vice Chancellor, Senate, etc

how do you intend to pay back the loan if there are no jobs upon graduation?
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by porthouse7(f): 4:56pm On Aug 20, 2022
eminikansoso:
grin
Government always play politics with institutions.
Okay from ASUU to SSANU.
Now in order to break ASUU power, they (Federal government) romanced with SSANU and NASU.
History will not forgive This APC government.
always endeavor to reason deep
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by udemzyudex(m): 5:00pm On Aug 20, 2022
rusher14:

You keep talking rubbish for the sake of it.

The Nigerian public is antagonistic by nature.

Nothing would ever make sense to them as long as it is government's action.

ASUU doesn't have the interest of the students at heart and sadly, the students don't understand it.

They would spend 6 years in becoming half-baked instead of 4 years to be half-baked.

Absolutely nothing would change apart from higher remuneration for the lecturers.

The high-handedness of the lecturers wouldn't change.

If lecturers feel they deserve more, they shoulf go to the private sector which is known to pay higher except to lecturers who can always hold government hostage.

So mine is rubbish while your own opinion is the only one that makes sense to you.

Well I don comot hand for your matter.
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by Ogunekpo: 5:08pm On Aug 20, 2022
nice move......waiting for ASUU, our children have overstayed. Government and ASUU should strike a balance pls
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by mespusinglez(m): 5:10pm On Aug 20, 2022
SCHOOL WILL OPEN IN TWO WEEKS TIME
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by Epurogonogono(m): 5:11pm On Aug 20, 2022
29kobo:

And in response, I am going to be a bit harsh and say that you should stop complaining about how government runs education then. At the end, the public universites will become worse than the private universities...and you know what that means for the job market? The rich kids get an advantage since they can afford the better education in private unis (AND it is already happening.).

If government realises how important education is, they would raise the money for it by taxation and/or fees. Not by hoping that the price of oil , cocoa, groundnut and so forth goes high enough for us to pay for 'quality education' because it can't happen.

Yeah, in the past we were able to pay for quality universites and high grade lecturers with revenue from cocoa, palmoil etc, because back when my dad went to university, there were six of them and none of them had more than 4000 students apiece. Naturally there was more than enough money for things like student housing almost free food, and so forth.

Not now , where there are nearly 40000 students in one university. Even if we threw our entire national budget at the problem, it won't solve much.

At the end , fees have to go up, or taxes go up to fund expensive universities. The poor can be helped by a combination of grants, scholarships and loans. In South Africa, fees are sky high, but if your parents earn below a certain level, government will step in and help (and they enforce that level strictly...I once read of one South African lass who did not qualify because her parent's earning was a few hundred rand above the financial cut off point. She had to hustle for more money).

Either we want good universities or we don't. Either we get good quality education, or we don't. We cannot be complaining about problems, and then when solution comes, complain that the solution is not to our liking..we take the solution or we don't. And God knows I wish there was a way we could have world class unviersites for just 10000 naira a year per student...without going into debt, or high taxes, or paying for it somehow.

I see your point, but I don't think that method used in South Africa would work in Nigeria. I mean, how would the Nigerian government track the earnings of people that don't earn salaries or wages? as they have not shown to be very proficient with keeping database. This would also create another avenue for bribery and corruption to thrive as the people that deserve the scholarship, grants or loans might lose it to the 'favoured ones'. And don't forget another factor of quota system in Nigeria (you know how it is).

Even if the government finally agreed to this system, how are we sure that the government would keep to their end of the bargain as they have shown many times to be untrustworthy, and would come up with various excuses.

It's very sad that Nigeria is in a very bad situation and there seems to be no good way out of the problem.

2 Likes

Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by oladahunsirose4: 5:21pm On Aug 20, 2022
I knew that a lot of envelopes exchanged hands in their last meetingI knew that a lot of envelopes exchanged hands in their last meeting...
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by Gamechanger45(m): 5:21pm On Aug 20, 2022
Sentiment and self pity is playing a major role in the backwardness of this country. I wished the labour union was as strong as ASUU the price of things wouldn't have gotten to this extent.
Everyone is just busy crying and begging ASUU to call off strike as if they are robots...like they don't have families to take off.

This government should stop saving the money for campaigns, instead they should balance ASUU so they can call off the strike once and for all.. The same reason doctors are suffering and smiling because, Nigerians will always cry and beg them to call off strike. God bless Nigeria!
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by frankson1(m): 5:26pm On Aug 20, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:
Thank God that good sense and patriotism has started setting in.

FG took ASUU and all of them to the court of public opinion and Nigerians got bewildered on realising the cost implication of the 2009 agreement is N1.1 trillion shocked
Where will FG get N1.1 trillion from that national budget? FG should stop creating new universities abeg.

FG , ASUU, NASU, SSANU and all the stakeholders must meet and agree on realistic way forward.
May God bless Nigeria for ever!
check my signature for freebies!

The monikers above you think otherwise. They hate anything that sounds, looks like good news.
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by dogmart(m): 5:30pm On Aug 20, 2022
bigpicture001:

Government has a fundamental duty to secure her people, educate her ppl, guide the health of her ppl, among others...

So if it goes quite high, the ppl will b mostly illiterate and human capacity will reduce and den economy will crumble

smiles. You think University education is goverment's duty? and that developed countries give free university education? please do your research better.

Why do we hear students owing hundreds of thousands of dollars as educational/students loan that must be paid back after graduation in so called developed countries? Maybe u dont know. standard University management is very expensive, that is very reason realistically Tuition fees are expensive.

It is not compulsory for the goverment to shoulder responsibility of University education if they are not realistically financially capable. what is important is maintaining and ensuring a good standard. What is the point in having thousands of poorly educated graduates( who cannot defend their certificate) yearly. Graduates who only went to school to earn a degree for "degree sake" . and who have no point being in the university in the first place.

They can only gve scholarship to high flying students who have distinguished themselves and who the goverment is sure will be an asset ro the nation. Give scholarship and tie them down to Nigeria for at least 30years. so that give back in form of research and inventions

it is high time we face reality.

2 Likes

Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by Mars16(m): 5:31pm On Aug 20, 2022
Before you condemn ASUU read this article written by the incumbent minister of education.
This nation owes a debt of gratitude to ASUU and the strike should not be called off until the government accepts to do—and does—what is required. This is why ASUU is always on strike.- Minister for Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu,
Daily post Friday, 15 November 2013.
https://dailytrust.com/amp/ASUU-strike-where-is-mallam-adamu-adamu
https://educationmonitornews.com/why-ASUU-is-always-on-strike-by-adamu-adamu-2013/

2 Likes

Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by bigpicture001: 5:34pm On Aug 20, 2022
rusher14:

We aren't going to attract anything of note to ourselves.

We can't keep wishing but doing.

We are... Last time Ethiopian government wrote to obj then ass president for Nigeria to supply them about 500 professors which they will pay at international prize...

Many of these fools refused to go.. then Ethiopia recently built about twenty brand new universities....

3 Likes

Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by mascotblaze(m): 5:34pm On Aug 20, 2022
Why then did the FG agree to such? That is actually the pain of this lecturers. You keep agreeing to demands and you failed to deliver as at when due. If I am the chairman, I'd do the same with this FG. So if they call off now, what did they fight for? There must be a reasonable response from the government. If all sectors can be this determined, Nigeria will be a better place. It just hurts that the same people that is clamouring for change are still the ones thinking ASUU is overreacting. We need people who can grab the Federal Government by their balls. This isn't business as usual. In a saner clime, the masses would have mounted pressure on the government but no , it is not like that in my country.... We leave the government and blame ourselves for everything

FreeStuffsNG:
Thank God that good sense and patriotism has started setting in.

FG took ASUU and all of them to the court of public opinion and Nigerians got bewildered on realising the cost implication of the 2009 agreement is N1.1 trillion shocked
Where will FG get N1.1 trillion from that national budget? FG should stop creating new universities abeg.

FG , ASUU, NASU, SSANU and all the stakeholders must meet and agree on realistic way forward.
May God bless Nigeria for ever!
check my signature for freebies!
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by bigpicture001: 5:36pm On Aug 20, 2022
dogmart:

smiles. You think University education is goverment's duty? and that developed countries give free university education? please do your research better.

Why do we hear students owing hundreds of thousands of dollars as educational/students loan that must be paid back after graduation in so called developed countries? Maybe u dont know. standard University management is very expensive, that is very reason realistically Tuition fees are expensive.

It is not compulsory for the goverment to shoulder responsibility of University education if they are not realistically financially capable. what ia important is maintaining and ensuring a good standard. What is the point in having thousands of poorly educated graduates who cannot defend their certificate yearly. graduates who only went to school to earn a degree for "degree sake" . and who has no point being in the university in the first place.

They can only gve scholarship to high flying students who have distinguished themselves and who the goverment is sure will be an asset ro the nation.

it is high time we face reality.

Nobody said varsity education is cheap anywhere in the world... If u research, u wwill notice government varsities still exist in large number even in the US... That cuz government dou still wouldn't pay for ur tuition feez but they realized cheap education will heal the land of vices that come from non educated populace
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by bigpicture001: 5:38pm On Aug 20, 2022
29kobo:

Yes, I know that only too well.

But the truth is, either we pay for quality education, or we don't and we stop complaining about how bad universities are.

And anyway, school isn't where all the learning is done. Maybe as technology improves, the way we do education may change, and we won't neccesarily need a university per se...and a lot of things might get cheaper to do.

Very fast quaranteed good education can also b gotten from private varsities... Let the average to the rich people use them...

For these govt owned institutions, it need be subsidized lest we compound our already too much problems
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by Nobody: 5:47pm On Aug 20, 2022
bigpicture001:

Very fast quaranteed good education can also b gotten from private varsities... Let the average to the rich people use them...

For these govt owned institutions, it need be subsidized lest we compound our already too much problems

At the end, the gap between public and private universities would become too large, and it would reflect in the job market.
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by dogmart(m): 5:53pm On Aug 20, 2022
bigpicture001:

Nobody said varsity education is cheap anywhere in the world... If u research, u wwill notice government varsities still exist in large number even in the US... That cuz government dou still wouldn't pay for ur tuition feez but they realized cheap education will heal the land of vices that come from non educated populace

I hope u read where i said "realistically capable"

if we will be real to ourselves whuch sector in the Nigeria economy isnt poorly funded?

absolutely none!

in fact we are borrowing largely to exist, yet billions are still being embezzled through corruption.

And this "Corruption" isnt limited to only those in goverment, but even those in the educational sector themselves who are crying foul. (we know what is going on).

so to say the fact as it is, the government can't singularly input trillions into education and neglect other sectors. That is why forever this strikes wlll continue to exist, until we come to reality of the situation

They will only continue to promise and fail

1 Like

Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by okenwa101(m): 5:55pm On Aug 20, 2022
Divide and rule, government way of life since 1801!
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by MadamInsurance: 5:56pm On Aug 20, 2022
Is it not shameful to put your hand on a plough and then take it back. They have spoken from the lid of envelopes. After all from the on set they were being used by Arusi Okija. I'm not surprised, for there is nothing hunger cannot do.
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by Olidan(f): 6:25pm On Aug 20, 2022
Hope the lecturers will not continue from where they stopped?
TheNiceGuy:
Hope they'll not be paid for those period they were on strike angry
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by Bahose(m): 6:28pm On Aug 20, 2022
29kobo:
The only way to solve this strike issue is for government to allow universities to be autonomous and to set fees as high as they want to.

That way they can make enough money to pay lecturers what they want and to pay for any new facilities, and equipment and suchlike.

Also, at the end of the day, we need more money in things like tetfund you are correct

Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by Damian10(m): 6:33pm On Aug 20, 2022
ASUU have finally expose themselves as the selfish learned louts we all know them to be. Shame on them.

1 Like

Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by symbianDON(m): 6:42pm On Aug 20, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
Hope they'll not be paid for those period they were on strike angry
there salaries were never stopped...only ASUU's.
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by Kei144(m): 6:47pm On Aug 20, 2022
The Federal Government should pay the university workers the backlog of salaries. ASUU is right in demanding that because the lecturers are going to cover up the work for 2020/2021 and 2021/2022 sessions. If the Federal Governemnt allows the strike to enter September, ASUU will accept to lose the backlog of salaries, but then throw the students into a hell of a situation, as students completely lose 2020/2021 and 2021/2022 sessions. University workers will definitely work for the backlog of salaries.
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by TheNiceGuy(m): 6:56pm On Aug 20, 2022
Of course they have to.

They were on break (strike) before, now that they resumes, they'll be paid based on their work
Olidan:
Hope the lecturers will not continue from where they stopped?
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by khadaffi(m): 6:59pm On Aug 20, 2022
Ebubu9:
Sinkhole NASU and SSANU have called off!

Accept what FG offers and negotiate with a new government by next year, besides whatever you agree with this FG, likely next Govenment will renege on it or refuse to bow to it with excuse it was not their government or times have changed and crude oil has sunken in price. So what’s the point insisting on getting most of everything with this outgoing government ?

Three years of admission years are piling up in universities!

ASUU shouldn’t let this strike ENTER September.

Forget about what we read on paper, if you are president tomorrow and you hear what ASUU is demanding you will never grant it. Before ASUU embarked on strike, they knew the demands cannot be met.
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by ufotunang: 7:04pm On Aug 20, 2022
So those 2020/2021 session has not been admitted or completed their academic session or semester... nawaoooo...and we are in 2022
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by Emdebby2: 7:27pm On Aug 20, 2022
Strike everywhere in this country. God help us.
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by Mickykarim: 7:32pm On Aug 20, 2022
politicoNG:

https://www.channelstv.com/2022/08/20/just-in-ssanu-nasu-suspend-strike-after-meeting-with-education-minister/

The education minister gave a hint and indicted five of the striking unions would return to work this coming week.

ONLY ASUU IS OBSTINATE WITH SENSELESS GRANDSTANDING. WITHOUT RECOURSE TO THE FUTURE OF THE INCOMING GENERATIONS.

Sad that ASUU has refused to be reasonable. Most unfortunate for our country Nigeria.
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by writeprof(m): 7:49pm On Aug 20, 2022

“If we agree on that, therefore, the lectures we should have given [to students] for 2020/2021 and 2021/2022 [sessions], should be allowed to go so we start a new session, 2022/2023, in September,” Professor Osodeke said.
Re: SSANU, NASU Suspend Strike After Meeting With Education Minister by Gabbriell: 7:49pm On Aug 20, 2022
Yankee101:
“If we agree on that, therefore, the lectures we should have given [to students] for 2020/2021 and 2021/2022 [sessions], should be allowed to go so we start a new session, 2022/2023, in September,” Professor Osodeke said

Greedy lecturers

I'm just wondering how that will affect government, when most of their kids are not in public universities.

Na poor student go suffer am. Imagine paying school fees for that session and doing it half way. Some uni self na final exam people dey wait for.
You will have to leave it and go enroll for a new session, starting everything over again.

FG and ASUU decision are only affecting one party....that is the students.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

See Riddle The Gods Of Wisdom Couldn't Answer(can You?) / Ransome Kuti Memorial Grammar School 1988 Set Celebrates 35th Years Anniversary / Lagos Teacher, Taiwo Ojo, Arrested For Defiling A Senior Secondary Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.